REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 08-25-2016, 07:45 AM   #26
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,962 Times in 2,585 Posts
Failed 103 Times in 65 Posts
lets say you have the kitchen/suite ... aside from "bringing it up to code/legalizing it" is there the option of going reverse? i.e. remove the stove plug and put in a cover plate...uninstall the hoodfan and plate it off...then you're left with a couple of rooms with a bathroom and a sink.

or would the inspector/city be like uh ya ... we know you're just going to put it back in after they leave so legalize it and bring it to code.
Advertisement

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 08:11 AM   #27
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,330 Times in 4,058 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
if he had pulled a permit for the windows and an inspector came in, would/could they have snooped around at other things/areas in the house and be in a similar situation with the suite? or would they simply have stuck to the work itself (just the window reno)
When I did my kitchen reno (completely stripped to subfloor and drywall, deleted a wall, moved almost all the electrical) the first inspector was in and out within 5 minutes (I assume they can tell from the drawings if a wall is structural since they didn't want to come til after it was demo'd) and the final inspection was less than 30 seconds (only thing he cared about was that I mudded the ceiling where the wall has been). Those could've been flukes or all inspections might be that basic, idk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffleCopterz View Post
Realtor told me it was legal as a "summer kitchen", what is this? Can't find any info on this, does this mean a kitchen in a secondary suite can only be used during the summer?
It means it's not a legal suite. A summer kitchen is supposed to be used by the same people that use the regular kitchen, it's just in the basement so using the oven isn't so hot etc. Whether anyone ever did that or if it was just a sneaky way to build an illegal suite I'm not sure. Same deal with "in-law" suites, legal for your family to stay in it, illegal to rent to tenants.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 07:20 AM   #28
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,973 Times in 1,835 Posts
Failed 185 Times in 100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E60_M5 View Post
If you are replacing all the windows in the house, it will also need to meet the new 2015 VBBL requirement U-value of 1.4. Most contractors out there are clueless and doesn't know this. So if the windows that you ordered is only double glazed, you are pretty much screwed. To meet U-value of 1.4, almost all windows needs to be tripled glazed.
https://www.biv.com/article/2014/11/...ilding-bylaw-/
Can confirm.
That article is on point, I want to know who was in COV's pocket to get these ridiculous requirements instituted.
My wife works for a small shop here in Victoria that manufactures heritage style wood windows. If you have a heritage style house that isn't designated/registered heritage and you new a window or something, you're SOL to get a new one that matches your old.

Man, how pissy do your neighbors have to be to report window replacements?
I must be lucky, out in Saanich here no one seems to give a shit, people are easy going. I fed and wired my garage without a permit (Done 100% to code though, just didn't want the hassle)
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:06 PM   #29
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,621 Times in 684 Posts
Failed 238 Times in 102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RuffleCopterz View Post
Realtor told me it was legal as a "summer kitchen", what is this? Can't find any info on this, does this mean a kitchen in a secondary suite can only be used during the summer?
I know it's not very helpful now but why didn't you ask yourself this question when the realtor was giving you his "summer kitchen" sales pitch...
Old 08-30-2016, 01:52 PM   #30

i figure when you see only 1 address and 2 or 3 kitchen/suites you kinda know it's illegal...especially if it's in vancouver

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

Old 08-30-2016, 02:46 PM   #31
in the butt

Thanked 3,558 Times in 1,299 Posts
Failed 169 Times in 92 Posts
just wait for the day your neighbor has a burned out tail light, and call em im.

maybe if your lucky, it will open a can of worms on their car. "cough" inspection "cough"
donk. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 05:31 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by donk. View Post
just wait for the day your neighbor has a burned out tail light, and call em im.

maybe if your lucky, it will open a can of worms on their car. "cough" inspection "cough"

Quote:
Greenstoner
originalhypa
Quote:

This post thanked by: