REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-15-2016, 07:44 AM   #1
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 57 Posts
Car stolen? It may still cost you, as Kamloops man finds out

something for those of you with winter beaters, etc...

Car stolen? It may still cost you, as Kamloops man finds out - British Columbia - CBC News

Quote:
ICBC says the issue has nothing to do with its policies, if insurance wasn't purchased

Photo of Maryse Zeidler

Maryse Zeidler · @MaryseZeidler · CBC News
December 12, 2016
stolen pickup truck

This is all that's left of Will Iblings's pickup truck, which was found at the bottom of a ravine on Sumas Mountain in Abbotsford, B.C. (Jack's Towing)
shares
comments
A man in Kamloops, B.C., is warning vehicle owners about the perils of opting out of theft insurance after he's been forced to foot a hefty bill to recover his stolen pickup truck.

His truck was a 1996 GMC worth about $1,300, and Will Iblings didn't think twice when he declined getting comprehensive auto insurance on it.

"Since the value on it was so low, I figured if something did happen to it, I'd be able to replace it fairly easily," Iblings said.

The comprehensive insurance would have covered theft of the truck, but it was a risk the 28-year-old was willing to take.

So, when the truck did get stolen over the May long weekend this year, he reported it to police but figured he would just have to absorb the loss himself.

Months went by with no news about what had happened to it.

"To be honest, especially after this long, I kind of gave up hope as far as finding it or hearing anything," he said.

Will Iblings stolen truck

Will Iblings and his wife, Hannah, were shocked to hear they would have to pay at least $2,000 to recover his stolen pickup truck — and it's especially painful right before Christmas. (Will Iblings)
Unexpected — and pricey — call

But a little more than a week ago, he got an unexpected call from a towing company in Abbotsford, B.C., which is more than 280 kilometres away from his home.

His truck had been found at the bottom of a 450-metre ravine on Sumas Mountain, and the towing company told him he was going to have to pay at least $2,000 to get it out.

The call had come in on a Friday, and the towers told him the GMC would be towed the following Monday.

Abbotsford police confirm they found the truck and reached out to Jack's Towing — the company with the main towing contract for the city.

They added, the truck couldn't stay where it was, because it could be an environmental hazard.

Iblings was shocked.

He figured that because he had reported the truck stolen it was no longer his responsibility — similar to reporting a credit card theft.

Stolen pickup truck

Will Iblings says he paid about $1,300 for his work truck. Given how little he paid for it, he didn't think it was worth getting comprehensive auto insurance for it. (Will Iblings)
No insurance, no claim

Not so, according to ICBC.

"With no insurance coverage, the vehicle owner is responsible for towing costs as the vehicle is the property of the owner," ICBC said in a written statement.

An ICBC spokesman explained that the issue has nothing to do with the insurer's policies — if comprehensive insurance wasn't purchased, there's no claim to be made.

When Iblings spoke to ICBC, they told him there is no statute of limitations on when the last owner of a vehicle — identified by the traceable vehicle identification number — could be expected to pay for these types of costs.

"I don't understand how reporting it stolen, going through all the correct paperwork and everything, how something like this can still be my responsibility after not only seven months, but five years, 20 years, 30 years," Iblings said.

Now that Iblings knows this information, he has been warning others. He doesn't want anyone else to land in a similar situation.

"Everyone we've talked to has no idea that this is an issue. And so it's not even on their radar for them," he said.

"If I had known this was even a possibility, it definitely would have swayed my options and my decision-making process as I went through the insurance."

The truck was recovered from the ravine on Saturday. Iblings says he hasn't received the bill yet, but he will grudgingly pay it when he does.
Advertisement
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2016, 07:56 AM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Failed 331 Times in 171 Posts
Interesting. I knew with no comp you obviously would be on the hook for the value of the vehicle, but I didn't think towing charges and the like would.

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:11 AM   #3
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Failed 282 Times in 75 Posts
that makes complete sense..u didn't have the full insurance and vehicle is still registered under you. You would be responsible for the associated costs to have it removed.
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:18 AM   #4
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Logically it makes sense, although maybe the brokers should be informing you of this when you decline theft coverage.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2016, 08:24 AM   #5
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Failed 150 Times in 53 Posts
damn...will keep that in mind if i ever buy a beater
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:29 AM   #6
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Failed 4 Times in 4 Posts
Wow that is an eye opener.

So depending on how the thieves dispose of your vehicle, you could get a small bill or a large one for removal.

Thanks for sharing

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 08:51 AM   #7
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ok, in this case... I hope they never find my Civic :/
coneZONE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2016, 09:06 AM   #8
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringTeg View Post
Wow that is an eye opener.

So depending on how the thieves dispose of your vehicle, you could get a small bill or a large one for removal.

Thanks for sharing
Imagine the thieves torch the car and the resulting fire takes out a building.
Or would that be a criminal act and the owner would be off the hook?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2016, 09:35 AM   #9
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,738 Times in 1,636 Posts
Failed 213 Times in 86 Posts
As is with any information like this, there are endless what-if-this, what-if-that scenarios, and the result will vary so much.

I think the real lesson here is to just get the damn insurance.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2016, 09:47 AM   #10
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,533 Times in 2,636 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
that makes complete sense..u didn't have the full insurance and vehicle is still registered under you. You would be responsible for the associated costs to have it removed.
I disagree. After going through the entire formal declaration process of it being lost (stolen, in this case), the owner should be freed from any liabilities the lost property might be causing. Had the owner not follow through on reporting it being lost, then OK, I agree the owner should still be on the hook. Otherwise, what's the point of reporting and declaring the loss?

Now, if some sort of investigation discovers that the owner had faked the stolen / lost report to avoid any sort of responsibility, then OK, he should still be on the hook for liabilities. But as it is right now, this whole policy is fxxked up.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:49 AM   #11
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Imagine the thieves torch the car and the resulting fire takes out a building.
Or would that be a criminal act and the owner would be off the hook?
That might be covered under fire & vandalism, although the buildings insurance would probably cover it under arson. Hard to say.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:10 AM   #12
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,598 Times in 4,324 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 130 Posts
Semi-related: this is also why, when you sell a car, you make sure it gets registered in the buyers name.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2016, 01:41 PM   #13
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,430 Times in 485 Posts
Failed 243 Times in 94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I disagree. After going through the entire formal declaration process of it being lost (stolen, in this case), the owner should be freed from any liabilities the lost property might be causing. Had the owner not follow through on reporting it being lost, then OK, I agree the owner should still be on the hook. Otherwise, what's the point of reporting and declaring the loss?

Now, if some sort of investigation discovers that the owner had faked the stolen / lost report to avoid any sort of responsibility, then OK, he should still be on the hook for liabilities. But as it is right now, this whole policy is fxxked up.
then whos gonna foot the bill?
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2016, 03:48 PM   #14
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Failed 554 Times in 127 Posts
^ same people who foot the bill when someone dumps an old fridge.

I don't understand why they keep talking about comprehensive coverage, is that not completely separate from fire/theft?
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2016, 07:33 PM   #15
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
^ same people who foot the bill when someone dumps an old fridge.

I don't understand why they keep talking about comprehensive coverage, is that not completely separate from fire/theft?
Literally the first thing that comes up when you google the term "Comprehensive insurance":

Quote:
With Comprehensive coverage, your insurance company pays for damage to your auto caused by an event other than a collision, such as fire, theft or vandalism. If you hit an animal, or if your auto is flooded or stolen, Comprehensive coverage will apply.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-15-2016, 08:53 PM   #16
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Failed 121 Times in 59 Posts
I don't remember but can't he cancel the insurance after reporting it stolen and it hasn't been seen for x days or weeks?
Old 12-15-2016, 09:00 PM   #17
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Failed 67 Times in 51 Posts
oops

Removing on the car off the side of a cliff doesn't exactly count as damage to the car..

Quote:
Your insurance company pays for damage to your auto caused by an event other than a collision, such as fire, theft or vandalism
Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Literally the first thing that comes up when you google the term "Comprehensive insurance":

Last edited by godwin; 12-15-2016 at 09:05 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:15 PM   #18
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Failed 3 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
oops

Removing on the car off the side of a cliff doesn't exactly count as damage to the car..

The car was stolen, damaged beyond repair while left at the bottom of a mountain, and you don't see that as damage to the car covered by comprehensive? It literally meets 2 of the requirements (theft, vandalism). Any damage bringing it up will be negligible to it ROLLING DOWN A MOUNTAIN. lol. And that minor extra damage would still be covered as it would be part of the original claim - tow bill included (if he was insured.)
dabbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:19 PM   #19
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Failed 67 Times in 51 Posts
What I mean it is recovery and removal the vehicle will be a different line item. Depending on the fine print, the insurance can decide on whether to cover it on not.

eg If a car hit a light standard, the city will invoice the insurance company for the repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabbin View Post

The car was stolen, damaged beyond repair while left at the bottom of a mountain, and you don't see that as damage to the car covered by comprehensive? It literally meets 2 of the requirements (theft, vandalism). Any damage bringing it up will be negligible to it ROLLING DOWN A MOUNTAIN. lol. And STILL covered as it would be part of the original claim - tow bill included (if he was insured.)
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:38 PM   #20
My name is Michael. J. Caboose, and I hate BABIES!

Thanked 1,421 Times in 678 Posts
Failed 71 Times in 51 Posts
Theft is under specified perils, is it not? The only thing I have on my car is specified perils (which all the autoplan brokers I've ever been to have said that covers fire and theft, but not vandalism anymore) and 2mil liability. But if theft is now considered part of a comp, maybe I should put it on there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUS105 View Post
IF I FIND YOU
I WILL EAT YOUR RICE!
Inaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 09:53 PM   #21
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Failed 90 Times in 16 Posts
Makes perfect sense to me. Technically it is still his car and property so he has to fork out the bill associated with it unless he can find who was the person responsible for the vehicle ending up there and just suing him for the money/damage
asma123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:40 AM   #22
Boost Lee

Failed 14 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Completely off topic but I was looking for wheels for my 2015 F150 on CL and those wheels on the stolen truck look very similar to these and in the same area where the truck was found. Hmmmm...

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rds/wto/5914899387.html
https://abbotsford.craigslist.ca/wto/5880112372.html
1BADMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2016, 07:54 AM   #23
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,518 Times in 691 Posts
Failed 298 Times in 88 Posts
I think this makes perfect sense. If you want to save money on insurance on a beater though, always get comprehensive, but save money and don't get collision.

If it gets stolen, or you get a broken window, it gets covered, and it's not that much to keep a low deductible. But if a $1300 vehicle is in a major accident, meaning something more than a body panel you can go pick up at a junkyard, it will probably cost more to repair than to replace the whole vehicle.

But now he's footing the bill for an expensive tow, instead of getting a reasonable cheque for the value of his shitty truck, all to save a tiny bit of money per year. Makes sense to me.
1992 Nissan President Sovereign, Black
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black
1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black
1986 Porsche 944, Black
SpartanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-16-2016, 10:30 AM   #24
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Failed 3 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
What I mean it is recovery and removal the vehicle will be a different line item. Depending on the fine print, the insurance can decide on whether to cover it on not.

eg If a car hit a light standard, the city will invoice the insurance company for the repairs.
Which is all part of the claim. If your insurance covers you (if you are NOT at fault, and had the appropriate coverage), the recovery would be covered as it is a direct result of your claim. Just like if you are in an accident on the road, the recovery of your vehicle is done if it is not able to be safely driven - covered by ICBC if not at fault, covered by ICBC if at fault you pay your deductible and your premiums potentially go up (depending on level of discount), or covered by ICBC and they demand repayment/sue you for every penny they paid because you were or were/weren't at fault BUT you had no insurance/they had reason to void your insurance leaving you uninsured for the claim - including recovery (like the original article).

If you hit non-vehicle property (Your light standard example), the owner goes after the insurer for damages. The insurer will either cover it as part of your claim (if you are not at fault) or come after you for damages if you are at fault and without insurance/voided your insurance for that accident (impairment being the most common).
dabbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 10:49 AM   #25
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,057 Times in 429 Posts
Failed 178 Times in 73 Posts
There are so many cars in the tow yards as we speak because the owners don't want to foot the bill for the tow charge cause its more than what the car is worth....... I've never heard of the tow companies going after the owners for the money. And I've done it myself
RiceIntegraRS is offline   Reply With Quote