REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-07-2017, 09:25 PM   #1
I am Hook'd on RS

Failed 14 Times in 2 Posts
Importing a car (with no engine) from us to canada

Hi

I recently found a car in the us which the seller is selling as a complete parts car.

I was wondering if i did buy the car and brought it over to BC and installed an engine in it could i register it as a BC Canadian car?

Are there other steps involved in importing the car from us to canada?

I know importing a "running" US vehicle into Can is relatively easy however this situation is a bit different.

Anyone can offer any advice or suggestions ?

Thanks RSers
Advertisement
slaughterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:31 PM   #2
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Failed 67 Times in 51 Posts
Assuming you can get all your bits and pieces across the border, you can register as a BC car with a BC VIN.

Unless your car is sufficiently rare, it is a loss making endeavor.

Unless you already own a shop. Since rent in Blaine is relatively cheap, everything else is cheap.. just rent a shop there.. get it done there and bring it over. Just don't bring any tools across the border you will be fine (US side will deny you entry).
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 09:38 PM   #3
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Failed 124 Times in 36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughterhouse View Post
Hi

I recently found a car in the us which the seller is selling as a complete parts car.

I was wondering if i did buy the car and brought it over to BC and installed an engine in it could i register it as a BC Canadian car?

Are there other steps involved in importing the car from us to canada?

I know importing a "running" US vehicle into Can is relatively easy however this situation is a bit different.

Anyone can offer any advice or suggestions ?

Thanks RSers
Does the title of the vehicle state it as a salvage/parts car? If so then it will be imported into Canada as a parts car and I don't think you can register it as a road worthy vehicle.

https://www.riv.ca/PartsAndSalvageVehicles.aspx
All U.S. brand information on imported vehicles is acquired by RIV as part of the registration process. Once a vehicle is declared for parts on a Form 3 or designated as a parts-only vehicle through a vehicle title history search, it is given a non-repairable status. That status cannot be reversed and the vehicle can never be licensed in Canada. The Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) makes all vehicle status and brands available to every licensing jurisdiction in Canada through the Interprovincial Records Exchange (IRE).

If it has a regular title then you can import the body itself then install an engine in Canada before taking it through the RIV process.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-07-2017, 11:03 PM   #4
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,856 Times in 5,626 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Yes, you can... I brought in a MR2 Turbo without an engine from Texas once and installed the engine from one that had been crashed into that shell at a later date.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:25 PM   #5
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 55 Times in 2 Posts
Yes and no. I have brought in a truck without any drive train components, rolling chassis/frame, BUT it was still a clean title in the US. Explain the situation with more detail. What kind of car is it, what title status in the states etc.
Port Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:34 AM   #6
I am Hook'd on RS

Failed 14 Times in 2 Posts
The car is a clean title missing an engine. It's a 240sx from seattle

Would the process be like importing a regular car?

Such as I have to call the border the day I'm bringing the car across?

I'll probably have to hire a tow company to bring the car back. This is starting to sound like it might be too much work. Lol.
slaughterhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:45 AM   #7
& Associates Inc.

Thanked 1,215 Times in 409 Posts
Failed 124 Times in 36 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaughterhouse View Post
The car is a clean title missing an engine. It's a 240sx from seattle

Would the process be like importing a regular car?

Such as I have to call the border the day I'm bringing the car across?

I'll probably have to hire a tow company to bring the car back. This is starting to sound like it might be too much work. Lol.
The US has changed some of their exporting requirements. I believe they now require some sort of commercial broker number you need to obtain. Then the usual 72 hour notice or whatever to USCBP for exportation paperwork to be completed.

Rent a uhaul trailer to bring it back yourself if you can? save some towing fees...you will have to find a tow truck that's willing to drive into Canada and who knows what paperwork he might require
Old 01-08-2017, 12:50 AM   #8
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 55 Times in 2 Posts
Make sure its worth your time and money as well. With our shitty dollar and the 240 being a car that is plentiful over on this side of the border... doesn't make sense to me
Port Man is offline   Reply With Quote