REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-24-2017, 02:05 PM   #26
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 116 Times in 29 Posts
This is the best thread I've seen in quite a while. Very useful.
I'll chime in when I have more time.
Advertisement
Mancini is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2017, 02:57 PM   #27
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Failed 67 Times in 51 Posts
For the majority of Revsceners who live in the Metro Vancouver area, I rather people have First Aid training first.. then get a First Aid kit. Having a swanky St John's Level 1 pack won't do squat if you don't know how to use the things inside. The likelihood one needs to administer first aid before a first responder arrive is minimal in the metro area. Also talk to your company's HR, they might pay for you to attend First Aid course (helps with insurance etc).

I think EDC should be trip dependent, if I am going to Golden from Vancouver? yup I will have a first aid kit, and my snow kit. Do I need both while I am driving 5 minutes from my place to Whole Foods on Robson? I might, but it is highly improbable. Most Mercedes have First Aid kits, however like anything that you don't use like touch up paint, oil etc, after a few years of non use, heat and UV cycles, those things disintegrate or turn into sickly yellow.

Also one shouldn't need their whole shop in their cars. One should have the car in tip top shape in the first place (no warning lights on the dash) before you get on the road.. So no need to trouble shoot for a dead alternator etc. . If your car's alternator spontaneously explodes without symptoms beforehand at Crowsnest Pass, no voltmeter or battery pack will able to save you. You will need to get a tow to Fernie either way. Things you keep in your car should only be for triage to get you safely to the next stop within reason.

Over packing your car is just a waste of gas and worse a false sense of security and hubris. Pack, but pack wisely. As I had said before pack modularly (I like using MOLLE pouches) and a plan to cycle the consumables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
What people appear to be missing over and over is a first aid kit.

The thing about a first aid kit, is that it has a lot of useful things in it, string, scissors, lighter, dry wipes, etc. These can help you outside of first aid situations as well.

The other part of a first aid kit, is that even if you don't know how to use everything in there, carry it, then you give the chance to someone who does know how to use it and may not have one the opportunity to help someone.

The number of times I've reached into that first aid kit makes it among the most used items in my entire kit, Everything from helping a trucker who cut himself chaining down his load, to full on car accidents.

It can be a little bit of an expense, many more thorough kits can reach into the hundred dollar marks, but even a $20 bag with sterilized cleaning wipes, gloves, bandages, cleaning solution, etc. will be of use.

Last edited by godwin; 01-24-2017 at 03:10 PM.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-24-2017, 08:18 PM   #28
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,763 Times in 2,315 Posts
Failed 409 Times in 181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
For the majority of Revsceners who live in the Metro Vancouver area, I rather people have First Aid training first.. then get a First Aid kit. Having a swanky St John's Level 1 pack won't do squat if you don't know how to use the things inside. The likelihood one needs to administer first aid before a first responder arrive is minimal in the metro area. Also talk to your company's HR, they might pay for you to attend First Aid course (helps with insurance etc).

I think EDC should be trip dependent, if I am going to Golden from Vancouver? yup I will have a first aid kit, and my snow kit. Do I need both while I am driving 5 minutes from my place to Whole Foods on Robson? I might, but it is highly improbable. Most Mercedes have First Aid kits, however like anything that you don't use like touch up paint, oil etc, after a few years of non use, heat and UV cycles, those things disintegrate or turn into sickly yellow.

Also one shouldn't need their whole shop in their cars. One should have the car in tip top shape in the first place (no warning lights on the dash) before you get on the road.. So no need to trouble shoot for a dead alternator etc. . If your car's alternator spontaneously explodes without symptoms beforehand at Crowsnest Pass, no voltmeter or battery pack will able to save you. You will need to get a tow to Fernie either way. Things you keep in your car should only be for triage to get you safely to the next stop within reason.

Over packing your car is just a waste of gas and worse a false sense of security and hubris. Pack, but pack wisely. As I had said before pack modularly (I like using MOLLE pouches) and a plan to cycle the consumables.
Agree entirely on the first aid training. It's valuable to have, you never know when you might need it. It's much better to have both, but I think most people are much more likely to get the pack than the training, and I am just pointing out that it still has value.

Bear in mind, that accidents don't only happen during the winter, so while it's great that many people plan better in the winter, you can run into problems just as easily during the summer, being prepared should be a year round thing. Sure it's less of an immediate risk in the summer since it's not as cold, but spending a night unnecessarily in your car is no fun.

Also on the subject of weight, or sizing, I have the largest possible kit, barring carrying firearms or other sorts of things, and It all still weighs less than a couple hundred pounds. And if you pack it nicely in your car (depends a little on the car), you can usually get it in, in a fashion that doesn't hamper daily usage of the car.

I literally just flew back from site yesterday, so can't snap any pictures of my truck layout, but the entire thing is more compact then you would imagine, I can still fit people in all 5 seats with the entire kit in the car (maybe an f350 isn't the best example for this as it's got room and storage all over, but meh).

These things are really person, usage, and vehicle dependent. Obviously most people don't need a VHF or HAM radio, and unless you are hauling loads or have a truck you won't need things like ratchet straps, and shit like this.

It's just like an EDC, it's person dependent, my personal EDC is a small folding knife (like a CRKT M16, or a Kershaw Leak) a streamlight microstream, a jetstream pen, my wallet, my cell phone, and my keys (which has a small knife, and usb stick on it). Most people don't carry a knife or a flashlight daily on them, I just find that after a few years of having them, the instances where I use them has grown, and I simply enjoy having them with me.

I am by no means a survivalist or a prepper, or whatever, I just happen to have a need in my line of work for having certain tools with me.

If you work as an admin in and office setting, I can't imagine a flashlight would be high up on your priority list to carry.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:30 PM   #29
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,259 Times in 433 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 4 Posts
^
I work in an office, and my personal EDC is pretty much identical to what you're carrying.
Having the a few basic items can make things go much smoother.

It's all about your mindset and being prepared for what you'll likely encounter.

One emergency kit a lot of people forget about is a 'Get home kit' for your office/desk if you're in that kinda of work environment. I've got a small bag with enough for me to get through 12/24 hours to shelter in place or make my way out if need be.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2017, 07:44 PM   #30
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
Failed 126 Times in 42 Posts
so as a paramedic, it's kind of ironic cause i don't even carry any sort of first aid equipment in my car. and i know a lot of my colleagues who don't as well.

like someone else said, generally in the lower mainland, we dispatch ambulances to true life threatening emergencies quite quickly. if i were to stock a jump kit with all the equipment at work, it would cost probably 500 bucks and even then you don't have a lot of the more useful stuff like oxygen tanks and a defibrillator.

serious bleeding? apply pressure with any clothing or towel
fractures? stabilize the fracture and don't move them
airway issues? head tilt or jaw thrust to open airway
not breathing? chest compressions cause i ain't giving mouth to mouth to strangers
dead? see not breathing

so definitely, taking a standard first aid + cpr course is infinitely more useful than a first aid kit.

the only 'equipment' i do carry is a box of gloves in the car. my safety comes first! i'm not touching anyone's blood without gloves, dying or not

just my 2 cents
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-25-2017, 08:46 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorn View Post
so as a paramedic, it's kind of ironic cause i don't even carry any sort of first aid equipment in my car. and i know a lot of my colleagues who don't as well.

like someone else said, generally in the lower mainland, we dispatch ambulances to true life threatening emergencies quite quickly. if i were to stock a jump kit with all the equipment at work, it would cost probably 500 bucks and even then you don't have a lot of the more useful stuff like oxygen tanks and a defibrillator.

not breathing? chest compressions cause i ain't giving mouth to mouth to strangers
dead? see not breathing

so definitely, taking a standard first aid + cpr course is infinitely more useful than a first aid kit.

the only 'equipment' i do carry is a box of gloves in the car. my safety comes first! i'm not touching anyone's blood without gloves, dying or not

just my 2 cents
So someone has to be dying to require a first aid kit? Don't understand why people are taking such a daily use item and making it seem as if it's only useful when you have something catastrophic happen.

What about just cutting yourself on your snowboard edge while throwing it in the back, like I did just yesterday. Luckily I had my first aid kit and I had something to clean it out and a band aide to throw on it so I don't bleed all over the inside of my car. Believe me I've done the electrical tape band aides and superglue stitches before, and i've done that type of ghetto ass shit enough that I can appreciate having a clean gauze pad and some rubbing alcohol.

Or after snowboarding when one of my friends tweaked her ankle a little and I at least had an ice pack and tensor bandage (pretend we were hiking and not snowboarding where there is ice all around...lol)

It's like saying "don't carry jumper cables, because BCAA will come in less than 5 minutes". Well yeah they might, but it's gonna cost you, and be an annoyance.

Old 01-26-2017, 12:19 AM   #32

Thanked 2,132 Times in 426 Posts
Failed 64 Times in 16 Posts
Finally get a chance to contribute…

ML320: This is my daily, My friends and I like to spontaneously go on weekend day trips “off-roading”.

Glovebox – Sunglasses, Tissues, Sanitizer wipes, Digital Tire Pressure Gauge, Binoculars, Handheld Long distance radio, and Gum.

Centre console – Small Multi-Tool, Tactical Flashlight, Sharpie (For quick, any surface, plate # write downs), Pen, 10kmah Batter pack + Micro/Lightning USB’s, AUX Cable, Flash Drive, and a Eagle Energy Disposable Vape (I don’t vape, but this shit is like redbull in a e-cig. Only use if I’m suuuuper drowsy.)

Door Pockets – Anti-fog moisture absorbent salt pack (Toss on dash sometimes if I know my windows will fog up), Compact Umbrella, Driving Gloves, Winter Gloves (Seasonal), Spare hat, Throw-up / Trash Bags.

Rear Seat Pockets – Ice-Off spray-on ice melter, compact ice scraper, compact snow brush (Seasonal), Tablet mount on rear console

Trunk – OEM Mercedes Med Kit (Added more stuff in), Pillow + Blanket (for the GF), Large Umbrella, Full-set of casual clothes + 1 set of under garments, snow/wading boots, hiking shoes, Sunshade (Seasonal), Owners Manual + Folio that I throw repair/parts receipts in.

“Car Kit” Canadian Tire trunk organizer bag: Quart of Oil, 30,000 lbs Tow Strap, 15,000 lbs Ratcheting Tie Down strap (I use as a tow strap only when we really need the length.) Bungie Cords with carabiners instead of hooks on the end (To tie down cargo), Various toiletries/medication in a travel kit, Extra Bulbs, rechargeable LED floodlight,
LED headlamp, Beef Jerky and Granola Bars, Distilled Water, Jumper Cables or WaganTech V8 Jumperstarter.

Tools – Zap Straps, Breaker Bar, Tool-Bag (Most of my Car related tools… Only when going off-road or on a long trip, remove Stanley kit when I take these), Smaller CDN Tire Stanley Socket-set with other essentials (Daily), Small capacity Jerry can (empty), Collapsing Shovel/Saw combo (Off-roading or when it snows), Electrical and Clear Duct Tape.

Want to Buy/Do: Curtains, Platform for Small Bed, A nice Spyderco knife, OEM under seat locking compartment, Roof Basket to hold Full size spare, jerry can, collapsing shovel, CB radio, Better Med Kit, and an ARB awning (only when going camping).

Accord and E34 – (Weekend / Summer cars): Same stuff in Glovebox, Centre Console and Door Pockets of ML (minus binoculars), Spare clothes in a bag, Car Kit comes with me from ML (Minus Tow Straps), Small Stanley tool kit as well. Distilled Water + Oil.

Car Kit on Right, Secured by Bungie Cords to Cargo Tie down hooks. Jerry can in front of car kit as well as spare clothes bag.
Boots are for winter, used a lot when getting people unstuck. Usually have wade boots when I go offroading. Not pictured are
tools. Everything is always tied down with the Bungie Cords.

Have one in each vehicle ^
2000 Honda Civic SiR Vogue Silver Metallic [EM1]
2001 Infiniti QX4 Tuscan Beige Metallic[R50]
Scoots
01' Honda Dio 50cc [AF27]

01' Honda Dio 72cc Big Bore [AF27]
89' Honda Elite R 49cc [SE50]

Last edited by TopsyCrett; 01-26-2017 at 12:25 AM.
TopsyCrett is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2017, 07:44 AM   #33
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Failed 11 Times in 6 Posts
Pretty good list. The only thing I haven't seen yet is spare fuses (well at least just the common ones that your car uses). Since it rains so damn much here, I also keep an old rain jacket/shell in the trunk in case it rains or someone gets cold. Also a roll of duct tape for the annoying back seat drivers.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:57 AM   #34

That's the thing about first aid, besides the training to make your competent; I am not sure the majority of the people have the mental commitment to help in a chaotic situation. Meme your work requires to do it, just not sure what a normal 9-5 office drone would do.

I remember military med kits always seem to be a whole less packed than level 1 kits, but you need to learn a lot more like making efficient tourniquet, take correct vitals etc.

For ding and scratches, first aid kit is seems over kill. Yes I agree with Shorn a lot of things can be called into service as first aid items, especially since these days, things like blankets etc are nearly disposable. Good nitrile gloves, I prefer ones that goes past my wrists, but again needs to be used pretty regularly as they are designed to decompose really quickly.

I don't think there is a definite answer. I will say depends on situation and personality. The person should get training and have the commitment first. Honestly I would have a kit if I am riding a bike more than I would be in a car.

One thing I have in my winter molle kids is D shackles and tow ropes. I get tow ropes from Princess every year. When I am on the Coq and need them (thankfully on others so far), I use them ones and leave it to the people I help.. chances they will need it again on the Coq.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorn View Post

dead? see not breathing

just my 2 cents
Old 01-26-2017, 10:02 AM   #35
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Failed 98 Times in 51 Posts
Warm Weather Gear:

12v tire pump
Basic tools appropriate to my car (10/12/17mm sockets and wrenches, as an example), including spare fuses, spool of 14ga wire, butt connectors and OBD2 reader
Quart of oil
Road flares
First aid kid since I'm out in the bush a lot
Featherweight, yet super warm blanket
Water and protein bars
Jumper cables
Spare change of clothes
Old cellphone that still works for dialing 911

Cold Weather Gear:

All of the above, plus...
Collapsable aluminium shovel
Couple jugs of windshield washer fluid
Spare set of warm winter clothes
Hand and feet warmers
Handheld CB radio
Ice scraper
Tow strap

Also, TopsyCrett's post just reminded me that I have to replace my fire extinguisher. Surprisingly I haven't had to use it in a while now...

I'm sure I'm missing stuff but that's all what comes to mind right now. I know I'm usually overly packed and prepared compared to most people but living in the middle of nowhere means a breakdown or being stuck on one of the highways out here means you're often left to fend for yourself for a few hours, especially during winter.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-26-2017, 11:33 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopsyCrett View Post
Finally get a chance to contribute…

ML320: This is my daily, My friends and I like to spontaneously go on weekend day trips “off-roading”.
Spoiler!

Have one in each vehicle ^
Nice sounds like you are almost building an overland rig, with the awning and stuff. Next up some winches, a lightbar, and a rooftop tent...

Actually surprised we don't have an overlanding topic yet on RS. I see more and more people becoming involved with it. I really want to buy an Xterra or something and kit it out.

Old 01-26-2017, 02:36 PM   #37

For fire extinguisher.. make sure you get the right type (ie you want powder / blue label one).. doesn't have to be that big unless you have a older rear engined car.. Ferraris are prone to leak oil and cause oil fire.
Old 01-26-2017, 02:40 PM   #38

One of my friends have one of these.

Alu-Cab Africa - Expedition Tent

It makes you want to stick with speed limits especially going around bends. After that ride, I think my choice is a factory "Trailrunner" Sprinter 4x4.

I guess there isn't that much overland people here because Unimog holds their value extremely well. Maybe in a few years there will be an RV section on Revscene.

Quote:
Actually surprised we don't have an overlanding topic yet on RS. I see more and more people becoming involved with it. I really want to buy an Xterra or something and kit it out.

Last edited by godwin; 01-26-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 01-26-2017, 03:24 PM   #39

Thanked 1,070 Times in 229 Posts
Failed 126 Times in 42 Posts
Quote:
So someone has to be dying to require a first aid kit? Don't understand why people are taking such a daily use item and making it seem as if it's only useful when you have something catastrophic happen.

What about just cutting yourself on your snowboard edge while throwing it in the back, like I did just yesterday. Luckily I had my first aid kit and I had something to clean it out and a band aide to throw on it so I don't bleed all over the inside of my car. Believe me I've done the electrical tape band aides and superglue stitches before, and i've done that type of ghetto ass shit enough that I can appreciate having a clean gauze pad and some rubbing alcohol.

Or after snowboarding when one of my friends tweaked her ankle a little and I at least had an ice pack and tensor bandage (pretend we were hiking and not snowboarding where there is ice all around...lol)

It's like saying "don't carry jumper cables, because BCAA will come in less than 5 minutes". Well yeah they might, but it's gonna cost you, and be an annoyance.
Well, I totally understand cause it sounds like you work in a more rural area. But again, my point was for heavily urbanized areas such as Vancouver, a first aid kit in the car isn't very useful.

The way I see it, you either have a serious injury or a minor one. If it's serious, call 911, but if it's a minor wound, go to the nearest restroom and wash it out and you'll live.

I can see it as a convenience item if you need a bandaid here and there, but I just didn't want anyone to have the illusion that a first aid kit might be the difference between life and death.
Shorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:19 PM   #40

Thanked 2,132 Times in 426 Posts
Failed 64 Times in 16 Posts
Quote:
Nice sounds like you are almost building an overland rig, with the awning and stuff. Next up some winches, a lightbar, and a rooftop tent...
Definitely, the lifestyle is so popular in the Philippines, with Delica's, Landcruisers etc... that ever since visiting I've wanted to have my own take.

I went to North Shore Off Road, and they had those tents you put on roof racks. They are roughly $1300, I definitely think it's a reasonable price but I'm doing this build on a student budget. Will definitely get one in the future. Benz Maintenance and keeping it running top is what I gotta focus on.

Sleeping inside, with a spare mattress + a platform I can make will do for now, and the off road parts company ARB makes a universal roof basket awning for about $180 USD.

I see winches for around $300 on craigslist, but for something like that I would want a warranty for. For now, I always go out with friends and being the underdog with an ML I had / have to learn it's limits. It's gotten stuck in some situations where a winch would have been miles more convenient.

As for auxiliary lighting, I put on some Hella 500's a buddy didn't want up front:

and I have flushmount led squares going into the rear bumper.

I think an Xterra would be a good compliment to the Infinity :P, I love how they look, I can imagine the aftermarket support is huge... Still kinda original too, not as popular as Jeeps and rusted out 400k KM 4runners (Obviously these are played out for a reason, reliability of these in buttfuck nowhere is unparalleled. But that's no fun :P ).
2000 Honda Civic SiR Vogue Silver Metallic [EM1]
2001 Infiniti QX4 Tuscan Beige Metallic[R50]
Scoots
01' Honda Dio 50cc [AF27]

01' Honda Dio 72cc Big Bore [AF27]
89' Honda Elite R 49cc [SE50]

Last edited by TopsyCrett; 01-27-2017 at 11:26 PM.
TopsyCrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 09:53 PM   #41

Quote:
Definitely, the lifestyle is so popular in the Philippines, with Delica's, Landcruisers etc... that ever since visiting I've wanted to have my own take.
Yeah it's pretty sick to be able to get out there and you can get to some wild places if you just start driving and don't stop where the pavement ends.

Quote:
I think an Xterra would be a good compliment to the Infinity :P, I love how they look, I can imagine the aftermarket support is huge... Still kinda original too, not as popular as Jeeps and rusted out 400k KM 4runners (Obviously these are played out for a reason, reliability of these in buttfuck nowhere is unparalleled. But that's no fun :P ).
Yeah, I've been having difficulty finding the right one, before I bought the Juke for this winter, I thought I had the right one, but then a quick check showed it had like an 8k accident the guy didn't say anything about. Fucking pissed me off.

I'm looking specifically for an offroad/pro-4x model in 6mt, preferably 2010+ as there was a facelift and interior re-model in that year. Tough to find though, especially since they discontinued the thing.

I've also been toying with the idea of just skipping the normal choice of SUV's and small mid-size pickups, and just buying an all out full size diesel (like an 2017 duramax crew cab long box), I'd probably get caught out in some spots where the size would limit me, but I'm not trying to crawl the thing. So I don't know.