REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > The Business and Financial Forum

The Business and Financial Forum THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Revscene Wall Street.
Consolidating debt? Good business tips? Buying stock? How's our economy doing? Discuss and share advice and tools on everyday banking, investing, wealth management and insurance.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:45 PM   #1
Performance Moderator

Thanked 17,071 Times in 5,704 Posts
Failed 289 Times in 185 Posts
Corporation Taxes

Hi everyone, does anyone on here have a good contact or knowledge of doing taxes for a simple corporation? My sister just has a small business that's incorporated and she doesn't even have payroll or anything, just about 20 invoices total to deal with and the GST etc.......... but everywhere I've called so far the flat rate for corporate is $1,500 which is highway robbery for the amount of work required. She's a mom of 2 babies and working full time so she can't really research it to try and figure out how to do it herself either.

Any suggestions?
Advertisement
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:26 PM   #2
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Failed 282 Times in 75 Posts
PM'd you
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:11 PM   #3
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,068 Times in 866 Posts
Failed 642 Times in 183 Posts
If she only needs a T2 (corporate tax return) - rate should be around $800ish
If she wants financial statements - rate should be around $1200ish

BOTH of these depend on how good the bookkeeping is.

By the sounds of it, it doesn't even seem worth for her to even have a corporation. 20 invoices and can't pay $1500. Chances are she's not making $30,000 taxable sales or more and probably doesn't need a GST number either. This is all assumption unless she is about to make bank real soon. I would pay the $1500 ($800 to file T2 and $700 to wind down) and ask the accountant to wind down the company and run it as a sole proprietor.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2017, 06:11 PM   #4
Performance Moderator

^ She wants the limited liability due to the nature of what she sells and possibility for litigation if something happened.... She's paranoid in my opinion but I can't really blame her wanting to protect her home and stuff
Old 02-03-2017, 09:55 PM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 45 Times in 27 Posts
So she wants the limited liability but doesn't want to pay the extra costs that come with incorporating. Don't mean to sound like an asshole but Jesus Christ how some people think is beyond me.
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2017, 09:59 PM   #6
Performance Moderator

It's not like she's running a big company and its not all that complicated for the taxes from what I can tell so $1500 just seems unreasonable given that there's no payroll and whatnot. It's not like she's not willing to pay, but $1500 flat rate quotes are very high for what actually needs to be done compared to most corps.

There's really no need for vulgarity when you don't even know the person or the situation, this isn't a situation where someone is trying to get everything for nothing so no, there is no need for you to be an asshole. But hey, it's Revscene, everyone loves to be holier than thou in here right? Thanks.

And actual thanks to the people who did PM me with real help instead of pointless criticism.
Old 02-03-2017, 10:13 PM   #7
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 45 Times in 27 Posts
Hey man. I'm just telling it as it is. Ive been in business for about 10 years. I don't want to pay certain prices for certain things also but it is what it is. I've been audited and they found absolutely nothing. But guess what? I still had to pay an extra $1500 plus $500 extra for my accountant. CBSA checks my stuff for no reason at the border and I have to pay them $2000. I may sound like a dick but I know what I'm talking about

Also just cause it's not a big business or it's not complicated doesn't make it cheaper. You're talking like you know how much it SHOULD cost. If it's so small, do it yourself then
kr4l is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-03-2017, 10:18 PM   #8
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,580 Times in 2,658 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Kr4l's presentation might not be all that friendly, but the content of what he said is true, and that is what Tiger_handheld was saying as well. Incorporated companies get the protection of limited liability, but the "cost" of this protection is far more complicated bookkeeping and more stringent requirements. All of that in turn results in extra costs. So if the revenues are not enough to justify all the added expenses, it makes no business sense to stay as an incorporated company.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:52 AM   #9
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,068 Times in 866 Posts
Failed 642 Times in 183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
^ She wants the limited liability due to the nature of what she sells and possibility for litigation if something happened.... She's paranoid in my opinion but I can't really blame her wanting to protect her home and stuff
While the T2 may not be complex, you are getting financial statements which can be used for banking, investors, GSA's... so many uses that an accountant may not know about. As such, an accountant does a fair amount of work to mitigate any risk to them (ie. Do you actually have $160,000 in the bank - lets find out by asking for a bank statement!!) and so on. This whole process takes about a day for the simplest of businesses. Then comes our time, in addition to making a living and years of education and continued pd, we are also in it to make a fair profit. You can find a $20/hr basement accountant but you get what you pay for. Your sister doesn't need a Multinational audit firm - she needs a neighbourhood CGA.

The $800 engagement the only user is CRA and if you read the engagement letter, you will notice, the client takes on ALL of the risk - the firm is at no risk. The difference is cost is the risk premium the accountant takes.

I hope the above helps you understand our business. Most accountants do a horrible job of explaining this to their clients.

Are you able to share what she sells?

There are a lot of realtors who are sole proprietors because a PREC (personal real estate corp) does not make financial sense. That imo is the most riskiest everyday job I can think of right now. One small error and suites up the wazoo.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:16 PM   #10
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Failed 105 Times in 49 Posts
actually...you can just go buy a copy of turbotax incorporated ($200)

they are kinda designed for 16 years old..
The filing should be very simple if you only have 20 invoices.

You still need a financial statement..so you need bookkeeping record and some very basic accounting knowledge. (i've seen some guys put in number that doesn't add up lol...eg: asset =/= liability + equity)

Good thing these programs will tell you if your numbers doesn't add up.

Even tho your file might be very very simple, and might only take an accountant 1 hour to do. He doesn't know that ...he will have to ask you a bunch of questions first...a lot of back and forth since he has zero knowledge about your corporation.
Some cheap guy off kijiji might just make a bunch of assumption and file your taxes to CRA with a tons of errors and redflags.

A lot of reputable accountant simply doesn't want to take on "another client" which only gives him $1000 business per year.
Once you are his clients, there are certain professional responsibilities he has make for you.
And you will probably call him when you get audited.
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 01:47 PM   #11
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 25 Times in 10 Posts
Well to be fair, if it is a small corporation, a NTR would be enough, there is no need for a review or audit to be done. Most banks I've seen with will also take a NTR as part of the financial statements when applying for a loan.
As others have pointed out tho, with a NTR, the firm takes no responsibility but a reputable firm will help you out in the event of an audit from the CRA. Where I worked before, a small engagement with less than 20 transactions total still cost about a 1000 to file a T-2 along with a NTR but you will have a piece of mind that the numbers we used could be supported. I've also seen financial statements prepared for $300 but the numbers just seemed to be pulled out of thin air with no supporting evidences.
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote