REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-26-2017, 01:19 AM   #1
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,837 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Benz G class, thoughts?

So my dad bought a vacation farm close to Hope and would finally come to Canada more often, they are in the process of getting their super visas, and we expect them to actually come in a year time or so.

Long story short, bro, mom and I are pitching in to get his car. (Thankfully my mom taking the large piece of pie. )

At first I thought about Range Rover, since my dad is coming from a Bentley Mulsanne+LR Defender and the RR sounded an ideal hybrid of the 2. But given my dad does like to get his hands dirty in the farm (he devoted the last 15 years doing this in his retirement and is totally pro now), and he's looking forward to do some serious road trips (on, and off-road) when he's not in the farm, RR seems to be coming short on the off-road and roughness department when comparing to my dad's Defender (which my dad clocked over 600k on it traveling all over South America... solid as a rock and always relatively easy repairs when problem arises)

My bro suggested Benz G class as a midground to have some decent luxury without taking away the ability of offroading that my dad enjoys very much.

My questions, do modern G class lives up to its reputation? I mean, the old one from the 70/80s was legendary. Given a new update is on the horizon and my dad's timeline, it looks like a great time to put down a deposit for one.

Any reason against this idea and if not, any reason to go AMG? I know they have larger engine... but they also come with some ricey kits that I don't find any sense for offroad. Lower side exhaust-pipes?
Advertisement
Old 04-26-2017, 05:53 AM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
Vacation Farm?

Honestly though, all the vehicles are pretty capable. Ground clearance is always an issue off road, and that is probably where a G is going to shine.

How about a Rubicon, and then a nice S class? Best of both worlds as there is always a comprimise.

Last edited by hud 91gt; 04-26-2017 at 06:12 AM.
hud 91gt is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2017, 06:05 AM   #3
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
Failed 55 Times in 32 Posts
If he needs to do long drives, consider how the G wagon is terrible on gas. My vote goes to the RR Sport Diesel. It has decent offroading capabilities, (better than the G anyways) with great gas mileage.

However, the value on the G holds so much better even if you rack mileage on it. Both sides to consider.

Last edited by swfk; 04-26-2017 at 06:36 AM.
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2017, 06:28 AM   #4
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 57 Posts
your dad sounds like he could use one of these...

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/...an/first-drive

"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 04-26-2017 at 07:35 AM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2017, 11:47 AM   #5
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,551 Times in 3,548 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
If your dad is going to do some actual farming he would be way better off with a pickup truck.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
Vacation Farm?

Honestly though, all the vehicles are pretty capable. Ground clearance is always an issue off road, and that is probably where a G is going to shine.

How about a Rubicon, and then a nice S class? Best of both worlds as there is always a comprimise.
It's a vacation home for him, but it's more like a farm rather than the usual vacation home. So, vacation farm.

The idea is to just get a single car as it's a vacation home and doesn't justify owning two seperate cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swfk View Post
If he needs to do long drives, consider how the G wagon is terrible on gas. My vote goes to the RR Sport Diesel. It has decent offroading capabilities, (better than the G anyways) with great gas mileage.

However, the value on the G holds so much better even if you rack mileage on it. Both sides to consider.
I didn't quite think about this, and after you mentioned, I looked it up and god is this car chugging on the gas. Hopefully they bring the diesel version this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
your dad sounds like he could use one of these...

https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/...an/first-drive

My dad's dream is to own a MAN 6x6 Expedition truck. But the asking price and it being an actual truck is not something my mom is willing to go along with.

Although when my mom gave the green light on the Bentley, my dad teased her that pound for pound, the MAN is so much a better deal.

I think I'm going to drop by the dealership asking for a reservation on the next year G class (apparently they have a long wait list?) and also take a look at the RR Sport Diesel.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:06 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
If your dad is going to do some actual farming he would be way better off with a pickup truck.
My dad isn't doing "farming" on a commercial sense, but rather planting flowers, veggie and fruits. (on a scale of enough to feed 30-50ppl, as he gives away to F&F)

He'd buy all the equipment he needs (a bobcat and a tractor), his car is more to carry the final products.
Old 04-26-2017, 12:43 PM   #8
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Failed 299 Times in 68 Posts
Pitching amount

Bro: $500
OP: $500
Mom: $200,000 (earned by dad)

"Here's our gift to you!"
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 01:46 PM   #9

Thanked 9,229 Times in 4,016 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
I'm not sure if you can bring one in from the US or not, but what about the new Land Cruiser? They're supposed to be designed to have an obscenely long service life.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2017, 01:54 PM   #10

Lol... I wish that's the split.

My bro and I were originally thinking about a nice pickup truck, but my mom voted against the idea of a pickup for it to be too rough. (the hint was "don't get something like ur dad's Defender") But our budget (35-50k each) couldn't quite afford a higher-end Europeans like RR.

So my mom proposed us picking whatever we feel suit and she will pick up the remainder of the bill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I'm not sure if you can bring one in from the US or not, but what about the new Land Cruiser? They're supposed to be designed to have an obscenely long service life.
Land Cruiser sounds good. I'd look into that. And yes, it's admissible. If anything, the Lexus LX570 is supposedly the beefed up version of LC.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:03 PM   #11
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,905 Times in 1,233 Posts
Failed 45 Times in 25 Posts
Get your mom to ride in one of the new Ram Longhorns or Limiteds, Ford King Ranch or Platinums, or GMC Denali. Definitely not rough at all... the new pick up trucks are comfy.

I miss my truck.

F150 Limited interior
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2017, 02:14 PM   #12

Thanked 7,551 Times in 3,548 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
My dad isn't doing "farming" on a commercial sense, but rather planting flowers, veggie and fruits. (on a scale of enough to feed 30-50ppl, as he gives away to F&F)

He'd buy all the equipment he needs (a bobcat and a tractor), his car is more to carry the final products.
But when he is buying supply's for his farm I don't thing he will want to carry them int back of a G wagon. Also there are no Mercedes dealers in Hope. So if he has any problems with the G wagon I will be a bit of a drive for service.
Old 04-26-2017, 02:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
But when he is buying supply's for his farm I don't thing he will want to carry them int back of a G wagon. Also there are no Mercedes dealers in Hope. So if he has any problems with the G wagon I will be a bit of a drive for service.
My dad currently carries his supplies in a little trailer he tows with the Defender. I figured he'd do the same when he's here.

As far as service goes, is the G bad in this aspect? I think my dad can live with the once every while drive to a MB dealer as he'd be coming into town anyway. But if there's a lot of small problems here and there, I might take it off the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastpuff View Post
Get your mom to ride in one of the new Ram Longhorns or Limiteds, Ford King Ranch or Platinums, or GMC Denali. Definitely not rough at all... the new pick up trucks are comfy.

I miss my truck.

F150 Limited interior
The F150 limited was something I was thinking originally as I was working with a sub 100k budget OTD. But given the additional budget, is it still the best option considering the need?
Old 04-26-2017, 02:39 PM   #14
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,905 Times in 1,233 Posts
Failed 45 Times in 25 Posts
Quote:
My dad currently carries his supplies in a little trailer he tows with the Defender. I figured he'd do the same when he's here.

As far as service goes, is the G bad in this aspect? I think my dad can live with the once every while drive to a MB dealer as he'd be coming into town anyway. But if there's a lot of small problems here and there, I might take it off the list.

The F150 limited was something I was thinking originally as I was working with a sub 100k budget OTD. But given the additional budget, is it still the best option considering the need?
I'd take a F-150 over a G-wagen for "farm" or hobby use. Be nice to be able to throw stuff into the bed (mulch, hay, 2x4s, fence posts, tools, etc) rather than the interior. The new F-150 with the 3.5L EcoBoost and 10-speed is just about as fast as the non-AMG G-wagens, and probably better fuel economy to boot!
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:07 PM   #15
RS Licensed Vendor

Failed 34 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Lol... I wish that's the split.

My bro and I were originally thinking about a nice pickup truck, but my mom voted against the idea of a pickup for it to be too rough. (the hint was "don't get something like ur dad's Defender") But our budget (35-50k each) couldn't quite afford a higher-end Europeans like RR.
If you're looking at under $60k for a G-Wagon, then that would put you into the early 2000's G-Wagon. Which is the Daimler Era Benz's. I work on a lot of G-Wagon's.....and these Daimler Era's G-Wagon's all seem to have ALOT of little electrical issues (power seats/window/locks no working, annoying vent issues, dash lights, battery drain, etc). Nothing that really effects the drive of the vehicle, but definitely effects the convenience. As you're aware little issues on Benz's tend to run thousands per little issue.

Old G-Wagons don't have all the complicated electrical but have no convenience features, Daimler era Benz's in general are plagued with electrical gremlins, and new gen models are damn expensive.

Just my opinion on it.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:19 PM   #16
Returner of Lost Phones and Turtles

Thanked 3,997 Times in 963 Posts
Failed 217 Times in 69 Posts
I think you need the big G wagon for ultimate off road. Wonder if they're legal in Canada

21' 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
23' VW MK8 GTI 40th Anniversary
18' Tesla Model 3 LR RWD
21' Ducati Streetfighter V4 S

--
16' Mineral Grey F80 BMW M3 6MT SOLD -11/22
22' Halo Toyota GR86 6MT SOLD -11/22
12' Phantom Black - B8 Audi S4 - SOLD 04/19
07' WDP Acura TL Type-S - A-Spec/ATLP/H&R - SOLD 12/17
18' Matte Silver Ice - Triumph 765 Street Triple RS - SOLD 4/21
LP700-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2017, 03:29 PM   #17
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 64 Times in 21 Posts
The current G-Wagon is the worst SUV I've ever driven for the price, only get it for looks or if you are a serious off-roader. Horrible on gas, rides like shit, loud as hell, possibly because it's still based on it's 70's chassis. Recommend Range Rover / Escalade ESV or even the GL-Class.
noclue is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2017, 05:22 PM   #18
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,315 Times in 370 Posts
Failed 87 Times in 26 Posts
Although I really love my G wagon, I can't disagree with ^. I daily drove it for 2 months, and I got 24L/100KM, driving with a light foot lol. It also rides extremely rough/jarring. My lowerback and neck feels tense even after just driving the car
jmanhas is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2017, 05:37 PM   #19
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,225 Times in 609 Posts
Failed 98 Times in 40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cman333 View Post
If you're looking at under $60k for a G-Wagon, then that would put you into the early 2000's G-Wagon. Which is the Daimler Era Benz's. I work on a lot of G-Wagon's.....and these Daimler Era's G-Wagon's all seem to have ALOT of little electrical issues (power seats/window/locks no working, annoying vent issues, dash lights, battery drain, etc). Nothing that really effects the drive of the vehicle, but definitely effects the convenience. As you're aware little issues on Benz's tend to run thousands per little issue.

Old G-Wagons don't have all the complicated electrical but have no convenience features, Daimler era Benz's in general are plagued with electrical gremlins, and new gen models are damn expensive.

Just my opinion on it.
I think the OP meant 50K each, so their budget is 150K, which will put them in a new one....

I know this is kinda... not main stream.. but RAPTOR man... god, I am not into trucks but I would love the Raptor...

yes..... lol
but... if G wagon...

though your mom might kill you because of the "left over tab" lol...

AE101 Rolla 96' //Sold
RPS13 240SX 90' //STOLEN
RMS13 240SX 91' //Scrapped
RHS13 240SX 90' //Scrapped
S35 Rogue 12' //Gifted to Parents
GD 6MT Elantra 13' //Sold
CZ4A 5MT GSR Evo 08' // Totalled
Ioniq DCT 19' //Traded in
NA MX-5 5MT 97' // Sold
Prius Prime 21' //Traded in
Tesla Model 3 RWD DD
GSX-R 600 K5' Mental Therapy
Prius Prime 24' New Kids Carrier
dark0821 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2017, 07:13 PM   #20

Any reason not to get another Defender?

If he was happy with the other one?
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2017, 07:24 PM   #21
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ford Raptor or Jeep Cherokee SRT! Thinking about a day of farming and then getting into a luxurious Mercedes G cabin doesn't seem to match. Thinking about the interior getting muddy and dirty makes me cringe.
cl811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 07:30 PM   #22

There's no new defender to purchase... not in Canada/US dealers at least.

And to go through the hassle of specially import one (assuming it's admissible), doesn't make much sense as my mom hates it.

Going to be in LAX soon, I'd rent a G-class on Turo and see how it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl811 View Post
Ford Raptor or Jeep Cherokee SRT! Thinking about a day of farming and then getting into a luxurious Mercedes G cabin doesn't seem to match. Thinking about the interior getting muddy and dirty makes me cringe.
Not an issue... my dad does it currently with his Mulsanne from time to time. He just cleans it afterward. (my dad is really a car person. Not only he drives/works on what he can, he washes his cars on a weekly basis)
Old 04-26-2017, 07:35 PM   #23

There are plenty on the used market. I spoke with a guy last year who actually purchased one from Land Rover Canada. They had actually fully restored an imported one. Not sure about warranty, but who cares. They are simple machines.
Old 04-26-2017, 07:37 PM   #24
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
If you can get over the looks, LX570 and call it a day
Robert Stack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:15 PM   #25
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Failed 504 Times in 165 Posts
Based on what you're saying he could easily make a Range Rover diesel work. Get a little trailer to tow stuff around in and install some weathertech mats so he doesn't get mud all over the inside.

But if it were me, I'd go leased base model f150 as the farm vehicle and a nice German sedan for your mom/dad for when they want to go out etc.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote