REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-06-2017, 07:26 PM   #1
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for trustworthy mechanics in Lower-Mainland

I recently just purchased my first car, A 2006 Infiniti G35 Coupe

I no 0 experience with mech-shops and would like to know any trustworthy shops in the lower-mainland that won't rip me off and has quality work. Looking for an overall check-up, basic maintenance, installation of parts like spark plugs, and especially body kit. Looking for some good body kits for my new partner and having 0 hands on experience, I'm headed towards a mech.

Which brings me to my other question, where would be a good, trustworthy, non rip-off shop to get my car painted? Previous owner didn't care much about appearance and there are some minor scratches here and there. Looking to have the scratches fixed along with a new shiny black paint.

Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
LuXas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:33 PM   #2

and also, a place that does wrapping, might consider wrapping after i take the current wrap off depending on how good the paint still is.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:09 PM   #3
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 15 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuXas View Post
Looking to have the scratches fixed along with a new shiny black paint.
Quote:
take the current wrap off depending on how good the paint still is
Congrats on the new car but...
DGN23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 11:10 PM   #4
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Quote:
Which brings me to my other question, where would be a good, trustworthy, non rip-off shop to get my car painted? Previous owner didn't care much about appearance and there are some minor scratches here and there. Looking to have the scratches fixed along with a new shiny black paint.
Congrats on the new car.

I'll try to save you from the shock you'll experience if you take your car to a good bodyshop for respray quotes, and tell you that you shouldn't paint your car unless you're willing to spend a decent chunk of change - thousands of dollars, no joke. ESPECIALLY if your car is black. It's the least forgiving colour to paint, and a less-than-factory-quality paintjob will look like crap. It will also hurt resale value.

Minor scratches can be buffed out. You'll likely be amazed at how a good polish can make the car look brand new. Look into some of the local detailers in the lower mainland. I'm sure other people here can chime in with recommendations.
ravenhill is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2017, 12:35 AM   #5
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,522 Times in 2,629 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
As far as RS's favourite mechanics shops goes, these 2 names will come up consistently and repeatedly:

- The Speed Syndicate (TSS) -- they are also a forum sponsor
- HBL Autosports
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2017, 07:17 AM   #6
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 2,315 Times in 370 Posts
Failed 87 Times in 26 Posts
Alpha 1 Automotive in Burnaby as well. Danny is the guy to find
jmanhas is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-07-2017, 04:50 PM   #7
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Failed 8 Times in 6 Posts
Not sure how expensive wrapping a g35 is but when I asked SR about doing mine years ago they said around 5k. I'm assuming it is cheaper now
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenhill View Post
Congrats on the new car.

I'll try to save you from the shock you'll experience if you take your car to a good bodyshop for respray quotes, and tell you that you shouldn't paint your car unless you're willing to spend a decent chunk of change - thousands of dollars, no joke. ESPECIALLY if your car is black. It's the least forgiving colour to paint, and a less-than-factory-quality paintjob will look like crap. It will also hurt resale value.

Minor scratches can be buffed out. You'll likely be amazed at how a good polish can make the car look brand new. Look into some of the local detailers in the lower mainland. I'm sure other people here can chime in with recommendations.
My car is currently silver, the colour I dislike the 2nd most ; ).
I did a check myself today, apparently the car wasn't wrapped, just the tail lights and front logo. front lights were a bit haze but the good ol toothpaste did the trick. I'm thinking of getting a bodykit b4 i commit the $ to paint. My car IS pretty small so I don't think I'll need to spend that much ; )
Old 05-07-2017, 08:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmanhas View Post
Alpha 1 Automotive in Burnaby as well. Danny is the guy to find
22 reviews
all 5 stars
damn....
Old 05-07-2017, 08:47 PM   #10

Thanks for the replies, I'll call a few of them and get more info

Also, The tail-lights is wrapped with a clear wrapping, which just makes it look at little more matte. Wonder how can I get this off myself. The previous owner clearly didn't like shiny things and also wrapped the front logo, took me 20min with the hairdryer trick to get it all off haha

And any upgrades I should get if I want to save a bit more on fuel?

Switching from my families Jeep Renegade to this, my eyes tear up every time I look at the fuel gage