REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 05-11-2017, 10:44 AM   #1
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 41 Times in 19 Posts
Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020

Air Canada to Launch Its Own Loyalty Program in 2020 - May 11, 2017

Time to burn through all those miles!!
Advertisement
Infiniti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:41 AM   #2
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Failed 54 Times in 30 Posts
Does this make Aeroplan useless now?

Never collected them, but have had thoughts about going with an Aeroplan CC. Guess I should forget about it unless I plan on claiming them by 2020?
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:30 PM   #3
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,837 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
I don't collect AE so it doesn't affect me much.

But what I find interesting is the time frame of the announcement.

So AC is not going to extend its contract with AMIA after the contract expires in 2020 and they announce it now?!? Like 3 years prior the actual departure? If I were an AC elite, I'd be rescheduling all my flights as there's no point (no pun intended) of continuing flying with an AE optimized flight schedule. Instead, flying UA, or even Delta/AA start to make a lot of sense.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:50 PM   #4
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,616 Times in 4,321 Posts
Failed 1,035 Times in 351 Posts
Hopefully we will be able to transfer the points over, I only have about 40,000 right now but the g/f has close to 200,000 points and we used them to go to New Orleans a year and a half ago
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 02:08 PM   #5
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 21 Times in 14 Posts
i have about 150k in aeroplan, and another 100k + w/ amex. i was planning to move to aeroplan. but ill hold off.

Glad, my *g is with Asiana. that said. aeroplan is still one of the better programs,specially if u book with other * members. (once cutover happens, u can still book with AC but not other * alliance members )

hopefully AC will not fuck us over more than now.

edit. AC use to own aeroplan and then got rid of it. maybe they should bring it back inhouse

Last edited by Rallydrv; 05-11-2017 at 02:14 PM.
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 05:41 PM   #6
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
Failed 7 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
But what I find interesting is the time frame of the announcement.

So AC is not going to extend its contract with AMIA after the contract expires in 2020 and they announce it now?!?
I honestly think this is the most important part of the announcement. Almost like AC is strong-arming AMIA towards the 2020 contract negotiations.

I've got a good chunk saved up, but no where near my dad who's got over a million points. Wonder how he's doing today? :P

-Dave
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCA-Dave View Post
I honestly think this is the most important part of the announcement. Almost like AC is strong-arming AMIA towards the 2020 contract negotiations.
-Dave
Or...not?
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 10.45.44 PM.png (96.6 KB, 0 views)
This post thanked by:
Old 05-11-2017, 09:55 PM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 286 Times in 94 Posts
no more aeroplan after 2020
danned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:21 PM   #9
:inoutugh:

Thanked 5,849 Times in 1,842 Posts
Failed 970 Times in 279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danned View Post
no more aeroplan after 2020
There still will be aeroplan, just no ties with Air Canada anymore.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:17 AM   #10
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,213 Times in 4,601 Posts
Failed 426 Times in 274 Posts
https://www5.aeroplan.com/aircanada-...entLanguage=en

In the link, below the letter that CCA-Dave posted (above) are a series of FAQs.

The most helpful one for me was question #5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeroplan
1. What does this mean to me as an Aeroplan member?
You can continue to earn miles on Air Canada eligible flights, and you can redeem for flights on Air Canada and Star Alliance member airlines until June 2020.

We are exploring a range of post-2020 options to ensure you retain access to a strong redemption offering. You will continue to be at the centre of our program, and we will keep you updated over the next three years.

2. Should I keep collecting?
Yes. With more than 5 million members, Aeroplan is Canada’s premier coalition loyalty program. You can continue to collect miles on Air Canada eligible flights, through Aeroplan-affiliated financial card partners, and through our network of over 75 world-class partners, representing more than 150 partner brands in the financial, retail, and travel sectors.

In addition to flights, you also have access to over 1,000 exciting merchandise, hotel, car rental and experiential rewards.

3. Will you stop offering flight rewards after 2020?
We know that flights rewards are a member favourite, and we are exploring a range of post-2020 options to ensure you retain access to a strong redemption offering.

In addition to flights, you also have access to over 1,000 exciting merchandise, hotel, car rental and experiential rewards.

4. What’s the impact on my current flight reward bookings?
There is no impact on current flight reward bookings. Our agreement with Air Canada does not expire until June 2020 - three full years from now.

5. What will happen to my miles if I don’t use them before June 2020?
Your Aeroplan Miles will stay with the Aeroplan program, and you will continue to have access to over 1,000 exciting merchandise, hotel, car rental and experiential rewards. We are exploring a range of post-2020 options to ensure you retain access to a strong redemption offering.

6. Will you stop offering flight rewards before 2020?
No.

7. What will happen to my Aeroplan-affiliated financial card?
Aeroplan-affiliated financial cards through TD, CIBC and American Express are extremely popular, and help members earn miles faster. You can continue earning and redeeming rewards as you normally do with your Aeroplan-affiliated financial card.

8. I thought Aeroplan was owned by Air Canada, who is Aimia?
Aeroplan has been owned and operated by Aimia since 2002. With about 2,300 employees across 15 countries, Aimia partners with groups of companies (coalitions) and individual companies to offer best-in-class loyalty programs to consumers around the world. Aimia’s coalition loyalty programs include Aeroplan in Canada and Nectar in the U.K.

9. What happens to my Air Canada Altitude status?
Air Canada Altitude is a program owned by Air Canada, and is independent from Aeroplan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 01:15 PM   #11
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,779 Times in 957 Posts
Failed 217 Times in 61 Posts
I just switched to AE in April , after looking up the best cards and rewards for me. Chose AE mostly for the star alliance partners who are my common airlines I use when travelling home to visit family or to Germany. Would have been nice to have kept Air Canada in the long run but I don't think I'll switch even after they leave.

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 10:38 AM   #12
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 21 Times in 14 Posts
So ac will buy out aeroplan.and 1.9 $ worth of unused points.

I'm wondering how they will will change ratio for using points. I have about 140k in aeroplan +200k in American express that I can transfer 1:1 to aeroplan. Guess will wait for more info closer to the date. Good that I stopped going for status with ac many years back. Easier to achieve gold with others in the alliance.
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:09 AM   #13

annnnnd we're back to Aeroplan continuing with Air Canada...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2018-08-22 at 12.08.08 PM.jpg (77.4 KB, 0 views)