REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-12-2017, 10:16 AM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 3 Times in 2 Posts
What Happens if ICBC Can't Source Discontinued Part?

I was wondering does anyone know what is ICBC's procedure if they cannot find the part that was damage, stolen, etc? Such as ITR OEM interior, S2000 hardtops, etc.

Would they just pay you out? Or make you go find your own and reimburse you? Upgrade?
Advertisement
und3f3at3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:27 AM   #2
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Failed 150 Times in 53 Posts

iirc they will reimburse you if you find it yourself, not sure if they'd pay out for it though
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-12-2017, 11:38 AM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Failed 42 Times in 24 Posts
They "should" pay out enough to source the product from the pre-owned market if not available new from a supplier.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:47 AM   #4
retired

Failed 5 Times in 3 Posts
You can cash settle for the last known price of said item. I don't believe you are allowed to upgrade (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

The shop would call the dealer/supplier, and get the cost of the item, and note down it is obsolete/discontinued, and you would need to contact ICBC to sort out a cash settlement.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 10:19 PM   #5
【=◈︿◈=】

Thanked 2,099 Times in 558 Posts
Failed 73 Times in 43 Posts
you can "upgrade" in a fashion that icbc will replace a similar part as the damaged part requiring replacement, if the original damaged part is no longer available. for example, if your oem s2k hardtop was stolen, and you provided an invoice that said it was worth $1200, icbc will cover $1200 - in other words, if you can source a carbon mugen hardtop for $1200, icbc will cover that, despite your original not being carbon. a top is a top to them. if you paid x dollars for it and can prove it, they will cover x dollars. if you can upgrade from that, then that's your business
- kT is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2017, 06:33 PM   #6
retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by - kT View Post
you can "upgrade" in a fashion that icbc will replace a similar part as the damaged part requiring replacement, if the original damaged part is no longer available. for example, if your oem s2k hardtop was stolen, and you provided an invoice that said it was worth $1200, icbc will cover $1200 - in other words, if you can source a carbon mugen hardtop for $1200, icbc will cover that, despite your original not being carbon. a top is a top to them. if you paid x dollars for it and can prove it, they will cover x dollars. if you can upgrade from that, then that's your business
Right! I totally forgot about that scenario. But as you may know, it depends on who you are talking to at ICBC. Estimator A and Estimator B will always have different answers lol
This post thanked by:
Old 05-16-2017, 08:10 PM   #7
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Failed 205 Times in 120 Posts
unless its something major that would need an inspection, it is quite common to come to a repair value settlement and take a cash out on it and do the repairs (or not, if you choose) yourself. ICBC will determine the cost to repair, and will either do the repair, or cut you a cheque for that amount.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:48 PM   #8
nns
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,843 Times in 553 Posts
Failed 185 Times in 67 Posts
OT, but are stolen S2000 hardtops an actual epidemic?
Old 05-17-2017, 08:01 PM   #9
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 55 Times in 2 Posts
I've heard of people upgrading front bumpers for example on a truck. Price of OEM parts and brackets are more expensive than an HD Iron cross bumper or equivalent
Port Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 07:47 AM   #10
retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Man View Post
I've heard of people upgrading front bumpers for example on a truck. Price of OEM parts and brackets are more expensive than an HD Iron cross bumper or equivalent
I think the issue with bumpers and other crash related components is safety and liability. While price is a major factor, if a part is replaced on a claim that isn't DOT approved, it opens up a huge issue with liability.

This is what an ICBC MD manager told me a few years back.