REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-14-2017, 08:52 AM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 16 Times in 4 Posts
MANUAL CAR - LESSONS OR RENT FROM YOU

Hi there,

I am a 26 year old invididual that would like to learn how to drive mannaual in either a parking lot for a bit, and then move onto the road. I would to know if anyone would like to teach me for couple hours with their car. I was hoping to pay someone 50 an hr for their time, and lessons in a parking lot then move onto the road. I have a class 5, and almost 8-9 years of experience no accidents. I live in Vancouver. Would anyone be interested? I am about to purchase a manual car, and would like help/experience.

Thank you!
Advertisement
Ching.Chong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:29 AM   #2
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Failed 90 Times in 16 Posts
My suggestion would be to get a manual car yourself and practice on that. That's how I learned.
I did practice on my g27 wheel and gran turismo 5 haha.
Either way the hardest part about driving manual is just getting it to move without stalling. After that then it's a breeze
asma123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:44 AM   #3
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 182 Times in 32 Posts
What car you looking to purchase? IMO moderns easier to learn on as most have some sort of hill assist.

If you have been driving that long I would be pretty confident in asma123's suggestion and buy it and learn yourself. Youtube both manual car and how to ride a motorcycle type videos and you will do fine. For me, learning to ride a motorcycle really helped "click" in my head how the clutch is supposed to work and the skills transferred over to the car and improved my driving.

Every time I drive I am looking to improve, that's the fun thing about manual cars. It can always be smoother, or faster, or more efficient, and all those qualities are driver dependent. Id say maybe an hour in the parking lot just learning stop and go, ebrake at a standstill to go (if car has no hill assist), emergency stops, and learning what to do when the car stalls (some cars differ, some need to shift to N before you can start again, others may be different. The important part is that you know what your car does if you stall in the middle of a road.), you will be ready for the road. Don't be too hard on yourself, I still stall once every couple months for god knows what, tired, hungry, lazy, whatever, it happens.
z3german is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 09:54 AM   #4
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 11 Times in 5 Posts
do you have a manual car that you can borrow or practice on? It's better if you're able to drive around the same car for a while. I'll help you out if that's the case.

EDIT: keep your 50. just buy me a hot choco or something.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:05 AM   #5
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,411 Times in 861 Posts
Failed 36 Times in 32 Posts
^ Ditto. I've an E30 which is pretty conducive to learning if burnz isn't available.
Old 05-14-2017, 10:41 AM   #6

Failed 16 Times in 4 Posts
Actually, i will be buying the car out of province. I know crazy right, but would like to learn on a vehicle before buying/going. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Do you think i'll pick it up within a few hours?
Ching.Chong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 11:12 AM   #7
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Failed 12 Times in 9 Posts
Bring a friend that can drive the car home and then learn imo
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2017, 12:10 PM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Failed 25 Times in 14 Posts
↑. That's what I did. Got myself a $500 civic beater. Took me around 30mins to get a hang of it. Plus I hear lots of people learning from a civic. I guess it's one of the easier cars to learn manual from.

Good luck with that.!
keifun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:29 PM   #9
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 57 Posts
$50/hr is not going to cover someone's burned out clutch, transmission meltdown, or worse, crash it no matter how many years experience you have.

do it right and go back to school. this is just an example there are others:

https://www.defensivedrivingschool.ca/

https://www.valleydrivingschool.com/...est-car-rental
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 05-16-2017 at 05:01 AM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2017, 01:15 PM   #10
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,379 Times in 578 Posts
Failed 96 Times in 53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by keifun View Post
↑. That's what I did. Got myself a $500 civic beater. Took me around 30mins to get a hang of it. Plus I hear lots of people learning from a civic. I guess it's one of the easier cars to learn manual from.

Good luck with that.!
$500 civic are usually equal ef or eg era civic with clutch 20% left. only Grinds into third if you are lucky, grind into every single gear but 5th if you are not and you will have to manhandle it into reverse.

If you are really unlucky you will get one that likes to pop out of gear under certain circumstance. than there are ones that has been abuses over the year, the shifter will be floppy it will be hard to tell which gear you are actually shifting into.

Bonus alot of these beater have a fuck up e brake, meaning the whole e brake dance on hill will not work.

all this is super overwhelming when you can't drive manual yet. Dealing with old transmission problem when you dont have a basic grasp of manual driving can be super frustrating.

Having said that you just need to find a decent beater, bring someone that CAN drive manual to the test drive to make sure the tranny at least isn't all mess up.

I've successfully taught my gf how to drive manual in my previous beater ef. However I made sure i got one without the above problems and it wasn't $500 lol. I have view my share of $500 civics. Buyer beware, its hard to learn if you start out with a utter piece of crap. However if you start our with a little pile of shit and you manage to master that, you can pretty much drive every manual out there (giving this new car you are trying to get does have stage 3 clutch)
threezero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 02:59 PM   #11
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Failed 59 Times in 30 Posts
Just go out there and drive the car back... fastest way to learn something is if you're forced to do it.

I bought my first car and it was a manual. Learned how to drive it while getting it home from the dealer. You'll pick it up in 30 mins if you're forced to. Of course, this was 23 years ago when the traffic was less douchy.
Old 05-14-2017, 03:53 PM   #12
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 6 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !LittleDragon View Post
Just go out there and drive the car back... fastest way to learn something is if you're forced to do it.

I bought my first car and it was a manual. Learned how to drive it while getting it home from the dealer. You'll pick it up in 30 mins if you're forced to. Of course, this was 23 years ago when the traffic was less douchy.
It also depends on the area / areas hes going to be driving through.

If he lives near or has to go through TONS of STEEP hills, I wouldn't recommend "learning as you come home" lol.

I remember when I was first "comfortable" taking my car out of the neighbourhood, I was tailgated by a BMW on a steep hill. I stalled, and he kept honking me hard, which made me panic more I still remember the smell of the clutch as I finally took off full throttle LOL xD
Old 05-14-2017, 04:23 PM   #13

Failed 6 Times in 3 Posts
Get a Cheap miata. I sure you will learn it by yourself within 2 hrs.
yip_yee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 05:00 PM   #14
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
Failed 7 Times in 7 Posts
Driving schools exist for a reason. Take some manual lessons...if you don't have a friend who likes you enough to teach you on their car, you're pretty much guaranteed noone who doesn't know you is going to be willing to do it!
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 06:05 PM   #15
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,842 Times in 3,881 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
I've taught numerous friends how to drive manual, it's really easy and not a big deal at all. Only issue is my focus is NOT a good car to try and teach with. Too aggressive and touchy. But as long as you're taught what is going on mechanically it's easy
Old 05-14-2017, 06:10 PM   #16
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Failed 1,234 Times in 307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ching.Chong View Post
I was hoping to pay someone 50 an hr for their time, and lessons in a parking lot then move onto the road.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
$50/hr is going to cover someone's burned out clutch, transmission meltdown, or worse, crash it no matter how many years experience you have.
I was going to say, $50 wont cover shit if shit happens, especially an accident.

Just go rent a manual car and have someone who has a manual car driver the rental to somewhere and then drive. I mean, thats what rentals are for, right
Old 05-14-2017, 06:12 PM   #17
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,842 Times in 3,881 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
That's actually a great idea. I rented a new Taurus titanium (with 230km on it) for two days, two drivers and unlimited KM. Cost a grand total of, drumroll........ $57.10cad from Alamo at the airport
Old 05-14-2017, 06:50 PM   #18
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 80 Posts
Learned in a rhd 300zx fairlady. No ruined clutch and I credit who was teaching me. They had me in a parking lot and wouldn't let me use the gas pedal, I had to learn to engage the clutch in gear with only the idle to get the car moving and make it to 3rd gear without touching the gas. Once I mastered that, I was allowed to use the gas and accelerate. My civic was no easier or harder to drive than that. I actually find newer cars harder as they are quieter and don't vibrate as much.
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-14-2017, 07:30 PM   #19
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,598 Times in 4,324 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 130 Posts
IMO, performance cars/clutch are better to learn on cause the engagement point is smaller, so there's less room for error. I teach people the same way, snails, was taught - no gas, get it into 1st and 2nd from a dead stop. Once you can get that down, adding gas and gear changes are pretty easy and driving modern cars is cake.

Also, when in doubt, clutch and brake.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2017, 10:34 AM   #20
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 22 Times in 18 Posts
Agreed. My friend taught me without using the gas. Just get to that point where you can get the car rolling and into 2nd without using the gas, very important. Teaches you how to use the clutch properly.
Liquid_o2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:03 AM   #21
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Failed 104 Times in 37 Posts
Go to school, not worth it to go buy a shitty beater to learn on, then insure it, then try to sell it while not getting proper instruction. You deal with shoddy old transmission and what if you can't get home?

Do it proper, as someone who did it on a beater and if i had to do it again, I'd go to a driving school.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:04 AM   #22
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Failed 150 Times in 53 Posts

i'm confused...
how do you get to 3rd gear without gassing? is the lot you're practicing on downhill?
or was that a typo

i get the 1st/2nd without adding gas...but 3rd is a bit of a reach without gassing, no?
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:04 AM   #23
ZN6

inb4 "Granny shifting, not double-clutching like you should"
Old 05-15-2017, 11:05 AM   #24
ZN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6o4__boi View Post

i'm confused...
how do you get to 3rd gear without gassing? is the lot you're practicing on downhill?
or was that a typo

i get the 1st/2nd without adding gas...but 3rd is a bit of a reach without gassing, no?
maybe v6 torque and bogging it down?
Old 05-15-2017, 11:12 AM   #25
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Failed 67 Times in 49 Posts
www.yd.com

They have shortened sessions which is cheaper than taking the actual driving program.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote