REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-03-2017, 10:39 PM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Situation with buying a car that isn't paid off yet

So basically i saw an ad on craigslist, he was selling an frs for 15k. The person has not yet paid off the car yet. So I was just wondering how would I go about purchasing this car? He said that I would just pay it off for him then on the same day would go to an insurance place to lower the taxes and transfer the ownership there. I could also take over his payments for him but I want
to pay it all in cash. One thing though is that he can also say it never happened once we reach the insurance place, I really do not trust anyone on craigslist so guys please give me some tips.
Advertisement
rentro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:29 PM   #2
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 2,360 Times in 512 Posts
Failed 9 Times in 8 Posts
I sold one of my first cars that way, it's not a sketchy process at all if their an honest person / have someone to drive with the seller the whole time. Go to the bank where the loan is, pay it off with the seller, go to insurance, drive home. One more step but a fairly straight forward process when I was the seller, buyer was happy. Definitely can't be done with one person though on your end, because doesn't matter how much you trust someone, people suck
'10 E92 M3 (sold)
'10 ZDX (sold)
'10 STI (sold)
'08 Mazdaspeed 3 (sold)
'04 RSX (sold)
'92 300ZX (sold)
‘94 Ford Probe GT (sold)
bcuzracecarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 11:43 PM   #3

If anything, would I be able to write a contract with the seller stating that he will transfer the ownership after I pay off his loan? Just incase anything shady happens
Old 06-04-2017, 06:48 AM   #4
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Failed 715 Times in 210 Posts
Why don't you just have the transaction done at where he owes the money? In this case like a Toyota dealership? This should be a simple process.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:51 AM   #5
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,373 Times in 4,662 Posts
Failed 436 Times in 279 Posts
Ask who the leinholder is to the car.

It's likely Toyota Financial Services Canada, or the bank. Call them or make an appointment in advance to settle the sale. The hardest part is making the phone call, or taking the initiative to do so. Life is tough these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
based on my haircut, maybe
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2017, 08:03 AM   #6
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Failed 112 Times in 45 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rentro View Post
So basically i saw an ad on craigslist, he was selling an frs for 15k. The person has not yet paid off the car yet. So I was just wondering how would I go about purchasing this car? He said that I would just pay it off for him then on the same day would go to an insurance place to lower the taxes and transfer the ownership there. I could also take over his payments for him but I want
to pay it all in cash. One thing though is that he can also say it never happened once we reach the insurance place, I really do not trust anyone on craigslist so guys please give me some tips.
Is this you? https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/cto/6153793430.html

Quote:
I was going to purchase this 2013 Black Scion Fr-S from seller Brendan in the Vancouver area. It has ~70,000km, rear spoiler, and trd exhaust. Everything was set and we had agreed on a price of $12,500 after viewing it. I had the money taken out the next day from my bank account and then after ordering the car proof report for the car, I found out that there is actually still $17,000 owing to the Bank which was Toyota's financing department. Had I not done the car proof I would have been scammed into paying 12,500 PLUS the 17,000 dollars, as the owner never mentioned that he still had a balance of $17,000 owing. I took his word for it that it was an honest mistake, as he pretended he still wanted to go with the deal and would pay me the difference (he said he was planning on paying me $4500 to take the car) yet shortly after I was aware that he owed money on the car he no longer wanted to go through with the deal.

Please buyer be ware. If you will purchase this car (or any newer/expensive car) Please get yourself the car proof report to see if there is any liens and don't get caught paying off someone else's loan. Also if the car is relatively new request receipts and confirmation from the dealership that the car has actually been payed in full. I don't want to see anyone get ripped off for that much money as it almost happened to me.

Email me if you have any questions.
wingies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:34 AM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Failed 554 Times in 127 Posts
That scenario doesn't really make any sense. The guy couldn't have sold it if he didn't have the title. So you'd have to be pretty stupid to somehow get scammed like that

Anytime I've bought used cars I've gone to autoplan and started up the paper work and only handed over the cash after paperwork has been confirmed by the agent and signed by the seller
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 12:39 PM   #8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 1,128 Times in 272 Posts
buying a car that the owner still finances is not sketchy at all.... just pay the loan place, TD auto finance would visit the TD Bank and get all the info etc and pay it to them and the rest can be paid to the owner of the vehicle

edit:

just saw the FRS car ad

no fucking shit you gotta check paperwork, 2013 isn't long at all and before buying you have to check paperwork on when he bought it and how much did he finance it for if it wasn't bought out..

this is just stupidity from the BUYERs part even though the seller was scummy. Why bring that much cash out so fast without seeing paperwork?!?

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 05:01 PM   #9
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 13 Times in 10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
That scenario doesn't really make any sense. The guy couldn't have sold it if he didn't have the title
Title? What are you talking about?

"Titles are a US thing. Unless there is something I've been missing in 20 years of buying and selling cars in BC, all we have is a BC registration. If the car was bought (not leased) from a dealer, the regi will be in the owners name not the dealership's name. Meaning the owner is capable of selling the vehicle while still owing $ on the loan, the onus is on the buyer to run a lien check on the vehicle they're buying.
snowfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 06:47 PM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Failed 554 Times in 127 Posts
No need to be pedantic, you know what I mean when I say title. When I was financing my truck the registered owner was Chrysler financial. There is no way I could have sold it unless I'd paid it off and obtained the title in my name. Icbc will not allow you to sell a vehicle which you don't own
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-04-2017, 08:44 PM   #11
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 13 Times in 10 Posts
Sorry, didn't intend to sound pedantic.
If you lease the vehicle the registration is in the name of the company that issues the lease. If you buy the vehicle (even if you finance the purchase) you are the registered owner and can sell it.
snowfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 09:18 PM   #12

No i wasn't the guy who posted the beware of scam ad, it was some other kid who offered too low and got too salty when his offer got rejected.

But I was just worried by the time I pay off his loan he may deny the fact that I paid him when we go to the insurance place ending up in a pretty bigass problem
Old 06-04-2017, 10:04 PM   #13
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Failed 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have never been in that situation. I would be nervous as well.

I wonder if the salty guy is just being a jerk to hurt the seller's chances of selling? Pretty low.

And yes in BC we don't have a title we have registration.

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:05 PM   #14
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,877 Times in 3,885 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
Again, just write out a simple contract. Also do a bank draft transfer so there's an obvious paper trail from you to him. If he turns around and doesn't sell you the car there's zero way he'd get away with it
Old 06-05-2017, 10:08 AM   #15
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Failed 21 Times in 12 Posts
I once bought a 5000 car.. it had a lien on it.
i went to the place of loan and completed the transaction (CIBC)
oldsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 11:15 AM   #16
Say NO to blade grinders!

Thanked 1,256 Times in 580 Posts
Failed 67 Times in 49 Posts
It's been awhile for me, but can you just get the Transfer papers and have it filled out in advance. Bring the forms with you to the bank/dealership pay it off and get him to sign his portion of the Transfer papers at the same time. Then you just bring the transfer papers to ICBC and they complete the rest.

This is what happened when i bought my car last time, the seller didn't even come with me to ICBC. Signed off the transfer papers at his place and off I went.
Expresso is offline   Reply With Quote