REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 06-06-2017, 02:24 PM   #1
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Failed 11 Times in 6 Posts
Vinyl "hardwood" planks - anyone use them before?

Looking at options to replace the carpet/vinyl at my rental townhouse. I was originally looking at laminate but the strata and management company is trying to convince me not to go that route. I was at King of Floors over the weekend and saw vinyl "hardwood" lookalike planks there. They look reasonably close to laminate/hardwood though slightly more pricier.

Just wondering if anyone has used these before and has any input as to it's durability and sound absorption ability. My townhouse is an upper floor unit so there are people below my main floor and I'd like to try to keep noise complaints to a minimum with the new flooring choice. I'm thinking vinyl maybe a viable "middle ground" between laminate/hardwood and carpet.

Anyone used these before and can provide an opinion on what they think of them?
Advertisement
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2017, 05:33 PM   #2
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Failed 8 Times in 6 Posts
Have luxury vinyl plank flooring, had engineered flooring before and it ended up getting a lot more scratched. When i bought it the price was similar/cheaper than hardwood. I went to Global Carpets in Vancouver.
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 06:44 AM   #3
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Failed 105 Times in 49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syee View Post
Looking at options to replace the carpet/vinyl at my rental townhouse. I was originally looking at laminate but the strata and management company is trying to convince me not to go that route. I was at King of Floors over the weekend and saw vinyl "hardwood" lookalike planks there. They look reasonably close to laminate/hardwood though slightly more pricier.

Just wondering if anyone has used these before and has any input as to it's durability and sound absorption ability. My townhouse is an upper floor unit so there are people below my main floor and I'd like to try to keep noise complaints to a minimum with the new flooring choice. I'm thinking vinyl maybe a viable "middle ground" between laminate/hardwood and carpet.

Anyone used these before and can provide an opinion on what they think of them?
They are basically same as laminate, but waterproof.
If you like the look, they are very practical and basically indestructible in residential use. (They are often used in commercial area like malls, gyms, office..etc)

To minimize the noise transmission, you need acoustic underpadding with a higher IIC rating. Your condo should tell you what their building requires.
I don't think there is a huge sound absorption difference between vinyl and laminate. (Vinyl is a bit softer, but they are also much thinner than laminate, e.g. 6mm vs 12mm)

average price range from my experience:
LVT/WPC Vinyl = $2-$4
Laminate = $1-$3
Engineered wood = $3-$7

For dry area, I personally prefer laminate because they are typically thicker, cheaper in price, similar durability, and have a nicer, more realistic touch and texture. Downside is they get damaged if you leave water on it.
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote