REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 06-23-2017, 09:04 AM   #1
private modder

Thanked 2,762 Times in 775 Posts
Failed 46 Times in 34 Posts
Bike carriers

Anyone have any advice or suggestions for someone buying a bike carrier for this first time? In this case, it would be for a hatchback (Mazda 3). Two bikes more often than not. Thanks
Advertisement
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:12 AM   #2
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,213 Times in 4,601 Posts
Failed 426 Times in 274 Posts
Questions for you:

1. Is the buyer a: recreational (ride around Seawall only) / enthusiast (will ride to meet up with friends or go to work / hardcore cyclist (I wear spandex)
2. How often will it be used?
3. Budget?
4. Is there clearance for a roof rack?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:14 AM   #3
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,264 Times in 2,045 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
I've tried both kinds, the roof rack/bike carrier on top method and the hitch mount rear bike carrier and I would recommend the rear hitch carrier as the better alternative. Sometimes it is a pain to put the bike on top of car and then it prevents you from getting into some underground parking eg. Whistler condos.

Get a hitch mounted to your Mazda 3, most likely going to be a 1.25 inch mount, find a half decent used 2 or 3 bike carrier on Craigslist. If you stay with Yakima or Thule brand, you should be fine. Try to get a bike carrier that folds down if rack is not in use and/or folds down so you can access your hatch. Always buy a rack that can carry one more bike than you intend, I appreciate the extra space, especially if you are carrying those big bulky mountain bikes. Good luck.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 09:26 AM   #4
private modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Questions for you:

1. Is the buyer a: recreational (ride around Seawall only) / enthusiast (will ride to meet up with friends or go to work / hardcore cyclist (I wear spandex)
2. How often will it be used?
3. Budget?
4. Is there clearance for a roof rack?
Recreational.

Once or twice a month probably.

I'm generally cheap so cheap is good.

That's a good question. We park in an underground lot so my guess is no.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:48 AM   #5
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,870 Times in 988 Posts
Failed 191 Times in 118 Posts
I thought about getting a roof one too but my only experience with a roof rack caused a lot of wind noise + it is a b to lift the bike up on the roof. I bought a hook one where it just sits on your trunk or hatch and you hook it to where ever you can but I haven't used it Cuz I'm scared it will cause scratches. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of putting vinyl on the areas where the pad will sit. But the biggest draw back is that since it is a hook system it doesn't lock so anyone can just take your bike +the whole carrier
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:00 AM   #6
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Failed 11 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
I thought about getting a roof one too but my only experience with a roof rack caused a lot of wind noise + it is a b to lift the bike up on the roof. I bought a hook one where it just sits on your trunk or hatch and you hook it to where ever you can but I haven't used it Cuz I'm scared it will cause scratches. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of putting vinyl on the areas where the pad will sit. But the biggest draw back is that since it is a hook system it doesn't lock so anyone can just take your bike +the whole carrier
The hooks are held in by the trunk door when you close your trunk so they're not super easy to remove and steal. However, they could just as easily cut the straps and grab the bikes and carrier together if they really wanted your bike.

I had the Yakima roof rack system with the roof mounted bike racks. The advantage of the roof mounted system is stability (they won't rock or bounce around as much as say a trunk or hitch mounted system) and they're easily lockable. I was driving a Civic at the time so getting the bikes up on the roof wasn't a big challenge.

The downside as someone else mentioned is wind noise. Also, it's super easy to forget you have a bike on your roof sometimes, and drive into a parking lot and...well...you'll be looking at your bike in your rear view mirror. Ask me how I know.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 10:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by syee View Post
The downside as someone else mentioned is wind noise. Also, it's super easy to forget you have a bike on your roof sometimes, and drive into a parking lot and...well...you'll be looking at your bike in your rear view mirror. Ask me how I know.
Ouch !!

Roof rack 'lock'. Best advice is not to leave your bikes on a rack (roof or hitch) away from your line of sight.

Last edited by whitev70r; 06-23-2017 at 10:16 AM.
Old 06-23-2017, 10:28 AM   #8
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,905 Times in 1,233 Posts
Failed 45 Times in 25 Posts
I have used the strap style, roof rack, and hitch mount style. I prefer the hitch mount style the best. Much easier than lifting up the bike to the roof, especially with cars nowadays getting taller, much safer in terms of going into underground parkades and less wind resistance.

A hitch is about $150, plus 1/2 hour-1 hour install, or you can do it yourself (like I did with a friend). A good hitch rack will cost some money, but it's worth it. I have a Kuat, and it has a tightening mechanism to reduce swaying/rocking so it's super stable.
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2017, 11:07 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
I'm generally cheap so cheap is good.
Here you go, a couple of cheaper options:

1. Just hitch for $100, used (not sure what gen your Mazda 3 is). Just got to find a 2-3 bike carrier.
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/rch/pts/6110346140.html

2. Hitch and 4 Bike carrier/rack, $250
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/pts/6180986756.html

Talk them down a bit ... done!
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2017, 12:14 PM   #10
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 3,066 Times in 548 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 16 Posts
Can't go wrong with this?!?!

vexor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 12:50 PM   #11
private modder

Any feedback on something like this?

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/bop/6187506901.html
Old 06-23-2017, 01:00 PM   #12

That would be one of the best and latest gen rear strap universal bike carrier. The best of that type ... but it is still a rear strap kind. For your recreational once or twice a month, that might just do the trick and the cheapest solution. Just got to be careful about scratches. I had older gen one and it left scratches at every point that it had contact with car trunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
Any feedback on something like this?

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/nvn/bop/6187506901.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMDreams View Post
I bought a hook one where it just sits on your trunk or hatch and you hook it to where ever you can but I haven't used it Cuz I'm scared it will cause scratches. Any suggestions? I'm thinking of putting vinyl on the areas where the pad will sit. But the biggest draw back is that since it is a hook system it doesn't lock so anyone can just take your bike +the whole carrier
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2017, 03:29 PM   #13
I bringith the lowerballerith

Failed 23 Times in 12 Posts
Hitch mount IMO is the best. I got the Swagman 2 bike carrier platform and it does the job. CCM, SportRack, Swagman pretty much same design. You can usually pick it up new for $200 ish. Thule, Yakima, Kuat is more expensive if you want a better quality rack but your looking at $500 and up.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:39 PM   #14
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 4 Times in 3 Posts
Hitch rack is the way to go and I'd definitely go for the tray style over the hanging style. The trays are more stable and fit a much wider range of bike frames style and sizes.
a90a93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 03:59 PM   #15
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 95 Times in 23 Posts
I would recommend talking to the guys at Rack Attack Vancouver!
About kkthind: [22-12, 22:55] ts14 hes so white that if he was a cop, he would beat ts14 for beinng surrey
kross9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:56 PM   #16
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
Failed 73 Times in 29 Posts
Keep your eyes on Craigslist my friend.

Rack Attack often put deals on brand new racks on Craigslist. I got mine (4 bike hitch mount) for $100 brand new a few months ago.
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2017, 06:21 PM   #17
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
If this is just a once in a while thing don't go all out.

Do you have a base roof rack? Do you have a hitch?

If you do have one of those systems, I suggest going that route. I have a 1.25" hitch, so I went with the cheap swagman rack at MEC. It is so easily to use, very good value and works great. Negative side, is it is bolted to the hitch so it's a pain to remove. Not an issue for me as I ride all the time. I just leave it.

Roof racks. Pros -Expensive, old systems are a PITA, new systems are great but you have to lift your bike above the car. Easy for some, not so much for others. May be a pain if you live in a place with underground parking.

New style strap on which uses straps. Cheaper option, may experience damage to paint, not as easy to use but super easy to remove. Probably the option I would go with if you don't have a roof or hitch and it's occasional use.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:17 PM   #18
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Failed 66 Times in 13 Posts
I've been through this decision a few times over the past 10 years when looking for a bike transportation solution for my cars... there are a lot of disadvantages with roof mounted racks IMO:

1) They create drag, noise, and reduce gas mileage
2) Your bike gets covered in bugs
3) It is harder to put them up and take them down
4) If you decide to go to Vancouver Island, you will get charged as over-height
5) The most compelling reason however is they are out of sight totally so you will forget they are up there at some point and enter a parkade or something. Your bikes will be destroyed, and it will leave a big dent in your roof.

On the pro's side... roof mounted bikes look very sporty on your car!

For hitch mounted racks, I'd advise you to steer clear of the kind where your bike hangs down. They always bang around and the mounts usually don't feel all that secure. They don't always work for bikes with non-standard frames (which is all bikes these days).

My suggestion is a hitch mounted rack that has a runner or hoops for your tires, and presses the bike down with a ratcheting hold down bar of some kind.

To pass my final chunk of wisdome, MEC sell this rack which is absolutely the cats meow... it holds the bikes very securely, and it also has a threaded pin which locks the rack to the hitch solidly so it won't bang around. Plus you can't beat this price:

https://www.mec.ca/en/product/5016-6...ver-Hitch-Rack

I do own this rack BTW, and it has been awesome.
MrPhreak is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2017, 08:25 PM   #19
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
I have that one too. Awesome rack but threaded pin makes removing the rack a chore.
This post thanked by:
Old 06-24-2017, 06:57 AM   #20
I bringith the lowerballerith

Failed 23 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
I have that one too. Awesome rack but threaded pin makes removing the rack a chore.
I have a similar one but XTC version. The bars around the base of the wheels are thicker. I agree with the "anti-wobble" bolt, you have to ratchet it in to the hitch, so I got the locking version and just leave the rack on the vehicle.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:44 PM   #21
LYC
I don't get it

Failed 3 Times in 2 Posts
I picked up the Yakmia Holdup from Rack Attack a few weeks ago. Been super happy with it so far. Fits 2 large downhill rigs and it has an internal lock. Folds up when I don't need it. I even got it on sale so extra bonus! I would talk to the guys at Rack Attack about your needs. They were super helpful with my purchase.
LYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:33 AM   #22
private modder

Thanks everyone for all the tips and advice.

It's nice to say that even after 15 years, RS still remains one of the best places to get information and tips on almost any subject you can think of, thanks to the helpful members around here