REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-07-2017, 03:18 PM   #1
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,130 Times in 1,142 Posts
Failed 1,392 Times in 247 Posts
Where to rent cheap french cars in Paris

So this might be a long shot but I'm going to Paris for a week and I'd like to rent an older french car (instead of the new stuff they have at Hertz or Avis etc.)
Something along the lines of this for that "legit experience":

Anyone have any advice or experience renting something more... "classic" per se?
Advertisement

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.

Last edited by The_AK; 07-07-2017 at 03:26 PM.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 05:37 PM   #2
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 2,789 Times in 364 Posts
Failed 19 Times in 8 Posts
Maybe if you can find something here: https://www.drivy.com/location-voitu...ype/collection

Last edited by richardmozis; 07-07-2017 at 05:51 PM.
richardmozis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2017, 06:44 PM   #3
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,846 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
this is probably one of those ideas that seem really neat in the planning stages but a pain in the derriere upon execution

also, hope you've driven in Europe before. It's a different ball-game even if France is LHD. i drove through Cote d'Azur & Provence weeks ago and while it wasn't as crazy as say places in East Asia and you'll probably survive, you'll be needing to change your pants by the end of the first day. Mopeds will zip into your path when backing up, and bring your parking A-game because spaces are tighter than Crystal Mall's parkade. Tolls also add up fast, and you some routes you can hit a roundabout every 500m.

Countryside is manageable but I couldn't imagine driving in the big cities. Next time I'll just stick to trains.

Last edited by twitchyzero; 07-07-2017 at 06:50 PM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2017, 08:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardmozis View Post
Maybe if you can find something here: https://www.drivy.com/location-voitu...ype/collection
Oh man this is exactly what I was looking for. I was toying with the idea of doing a road trip to Nice if I didn't find this but given twitchyzero just said and coming across this plans may have just shifted.

Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
Old 07-07-2017, 11:21 PM   #5
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 4,359 Times in 382 Posts
Failed 402 Times in 65 Posts
Just got back 2 weeks ago from France (Paris, Nice, Monaco) Spain and Portugal. I only drove in Spain and Portugal.

I can't speak for the rest of France, but if its anything like Paris, I highly recommend not driving if you can help it. It is a completely different set of rules and you'll almost be guaranteed to regret it.

As twitchy said, good on paper but bad in real life. Not only can costs add up (ie. Insurance, Gas, Tolls; All of which are very expensive) you will shit your pants in many scenarios. Not shoulder checking, splitting lanes, running lights, texting while driving, people/bicycles/mopeds darting left and right at their convenience and anything you can think of that would leave mouths hanging here, are a norm over there.

Roads are incredibly tiny, many are one ways (without a GPS you'll spend a long time circling around), and parking is extremely tight. People will park bumper to bumper and its almost an expectancy that you'll need to hit someones car just to be able to squeeze in/out.

You need to have a very acute sense of your surroundings to not get side swiped by someone cutting into your lane every 30 seconds, because god knows where else their attention is. Drive in any of the main cities and you will wish you never rented a car. To their benefit, the safest place I felt was in the roundabout, which they seem to do often and efficiently. Suffice it to say, I was very stressed driving and could not divide my attention enough to enjoy my little Citroen or Peugeot as much as I wanted to. You paid for a vacation to relax and not worry every second about getting into a fender bender.

I will say that driving on the highways in Portugal was fantastic. People keep right except to pass religiously, and are extremely well behaved. Many of the coastal roads are breathtakingly beautiful, however there are some extremely windy and 1 lane roads you'll have to negotiate. Luckily small cars are very popular there.

If driving there is that important to you, I'm sure none of this will deter you. I just found I did not personally enjoy it with all the stress and shit running down my leg. It was an experience to say the least, but not one I would recommend or do again. Public transit is extremely convenient and a no-brainer for most.
ShanghaiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 12:19 AM   #6
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,855 Times in 5,626 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
??? I've spent countless weeks driving in every major city in Europe and, while it's very much a case of "fit yourself in anywhere you can" I would hardly call it pants-shitting? Eastern Europe is way worse than Western Europe... Poland is basically a contest of near head-on collisions from turning 2 lane highway into 4 or 6 lanes... maybe I have a high tolerance for expecting people to know what they're doing? Driving in Paris is fine... even the Arc de Triumphe roundabout, while crazy looking, just requires you to move confidently and efficiently.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 01:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
??? I've spent countless weeks driving in every major city in Europe and, while it's very much a case of "fit yourself in anywhere you can" I would hardly call it pants-shitting? Eastern Europe is way worse than Western Europe... Poland is basically a contest of near head-on collisions from turning 2 lane highway into 4 or 6 lanes... maybe I have a high tolerance for expecting people to know what they're doing? Driving in Paris is fine... even the Arc de Triumphe roundabout, while crazy looking, just requires you to move confidently and efficiently.
Yea, I get this too. I've driven countless times in Ukraine so questionable driving tactics don't worry me too much, hell in Lviv we don't even have road markings on the cobblestone so you end up having to share it somehow between yourself, other drivers and street cars/trolleys

Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Old 07-08-2017, 01:12 AM   #8
I bringith the lowerballerith

Thanked 4,359 Times in 382 Posts
Failed 402 Times in 65 Posts
Subjective interpretation I suppose. I didn't enjoy my time driving in Mallorca or Lisbon. And just by walking through Paris I could tell I would have had a difficult time too. Didn't know what some of the traffic signs meant so that added to the confusion as well.

I like to think I'm a pretty confident driver. For the 3 or 4 days I did drive, I was overly concerned about getting dinged and that added a lot to the stress. Maybe a few weeks or few months of driving there could change my mind, but don't think you can deny a bit of traffic culture shock.

The fact that I was very much in vacation mode and didn't expect the extra pressure made my experience feel more negative. No incidence though. Just my 2 cents
ShanghaiKid is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2017, 01:15 AM   #9

Yea thats completely understandable, to each their own. Meanwhile this was me in Ukraine and probably me in France

Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Old 07-08-2017, 11:46 AM   #10
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,846 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
yeah even if you're confident with driving, getting insurance for those classic cars will probably be a headache itself.

I admit I'm not the best at doing austin power-styled parking and even though I was getting acclimatized 3 days in, I just don't need that kind of stress when I'm on a vacation, like circling around for 20 minutes looking for a spot.

Last edited by twitchyzero; 07-08-2017 at 11:53 AM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 11:51 AM   #11
Fanboy

Failed 91 Times in 28 Posts
Turo
Old 07-08-2017, 12:16 PM   #12
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,790 Times in 5,874 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Funny when you see the people near the Eiffel Tower and arc de triomphe renting the gallardos and ferraris, you know it's just a insurance cash grab with the driving conditions you'll have to go through in order to get those cars anywhere lol
Old 07-13-2017, 12:21 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Funny when you see the people near the Eiffel Tower and arc de triomphe renting the gallardos and ferraris, you know it's just a insurance cash grab with the driving conditions you'll have to go through in order to get those cars anywhere lol
Drove through Champs-Elysees and around the Arc Dr triomphe last night, wow... lmao

Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote: