REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-27-2017, 11:54 AM   #1
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 37 Times in 10 Posts
Out of province car

Looking to register my out of province car without having to do the money grabbing inspection. Car was registered before in the province, but drove it for 3 years in another and was registered there.

Still have my old insurance and registration slip from BC. Can I just bring that and request a insurance "renewal". Or will they have it in the system that was registered in another province?
Advertisement
Messerschmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 02:09 PM   #2
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 10 Times in 10 Posts
Many years ago, I lent my car to my bro-in-law so that he could drive it in the US for a few months since I was going to be away out of the country. It was registered and insured in WA.

When I came back and brought my car up to be insured, I had to take it for a stupid BC inspection. Now my car is all of a sudden "out of province" car. If you could do it without inspection, then good for you.

My Feedback

Blah™
Hakkaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 04:45 PM   #3
I don't get it

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Will need to be reinspected. But if it has been registered here before, it should be easily reverted back if it needed to be modified when it left.
pherio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 07:55 PM   #4
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,186 Times in 929 Posts
Failed 296 Times in 68 Posts
Speaking of out of province vehicle inspections, how do people pass with their imports from Japan usually?
JSALES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 09:17 PM   #5
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 37 Times in 10 Posts
So will it basically be in the system that it was registered out of province? How would they know? I plan to bring my old papers that the car was registered on, including the old BC plate and plainly ask "i'd like a renewal".

Not possible?
Messerschmitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:24 PM   #6
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
^^^

they know...the system lets the agent know that the vehicle left BC.
09' BMW 128I Coupe (E82) - FS
04' BMW M3 Coupe (E46) - SR
17' Acura MDX SUV (YD4) - SOLD
15' Acura RDX SUV (TB4) - SOLD
14' Acura ILX Sedan (DE1) - SOLD
04' Nissan Pathfinder LE SUV (R50) - SOLD
07 Infiniti FX35 SUV (S50) -SOLD
06' BMW 330i Sedan (E90) - SOLD
97' Acura 1.6EL Sedan (MB4) - SOLD
99' Honda Civic Hatch (EJ6) - SOLD
84' Pontiac Sunbird Coupe (J2000) - SOLD
Kalize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 03:49 PM   #7
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,225 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
Sorry to hijack the thread, but my question is more or less the same and I felt it could be useful in the same thread.

I'm looking to takeover a lease from some guy in AB. So, credit application is already submitted, hopefully we'd get it back by weekend.

The question now is, I'm actually looking to fly to AB and drive it back (having a mini road-trip at once). What kind of insurance do I get for this? I called ICBC and they provide something called the binder of insurance, but that would only cover for me driving in BC. Thus I'd have to get another for AB. But when I called to a broker in AB today, they said I need an AB license.

So, has anyone done this before? Is the guy in AB who I spoke with has no idea what he's doing or ICBC is giving me a complete BS?

Isn't there like a temporary insurance that covers the vehicle for a few days until I can drive it back to BC and have it properly licensed and insured?
Old 08-09-2017, 05:01 PM   #8
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 59 Times in 24 Posts
^ ICBC is so retarded...that's like saying no one is covered when doing a road trip to other provinces or heading down to the states. Which is probably true, just that nobody really had an issue with it.

Take it easy and drive defensively i guess, in the event you get into an accident, hopefully you aren't at fault and it'll be alright.
'02 Suzuki GSXR 750

Order the New 2020 Civic Type R, pm me

Driftspecs Apparel
www.driftspecsapparel.com
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-09-2017, 05:06 PM   #9
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,331 Times in 4,059 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Messerschmitt View Post
So will it basically be in the system that it was registered out of province? How would they know?
The province you're bringing it to is going to tell them? They don't want multiple registrations for the same vehicle floating around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
So, has anyone done this before? Is the guy in AB who I spoke with has no idea what he's doing or ICBC is giving me a complete BS?

Isn't there like a temporary insurance that covers the vehicle for a few days until I can drive it back to BC and have it properly licensed and insured?
From my understanding the AB guy was wrong. You should be able to get temp insurance in AB for the purposes of driving the vehicle to BC.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-09-2017, 06:05 PM   #10
I'm invisible

Failed 6 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Sorry to hijack the thread, but my question is more or less the same and I felt it could be useful in the same thread.

I'm looking to takeover a lease from some guy in AB. So, credit application is already submitted, hopefully we'd get it back by weekend.

The question now is, I'm actually looking to fly to AB and drive it back (having a mini road-trip at once). What kind of insurance do I get for this? I called ICBC and they provide something called the binder of insurance, but that would only cover for me driving in BC. Thus I'd have to get another for AB. But when I called to a broker in AB today, they said I need an AB license.

The binder Apv38 is valid insurance when you purchase a vehicle out of province. You buy the binder up to 30 days. This is only insurance only and not a license. In order to use the binder as insurance you will also need valid licensing too from out of province. Alberta can sell you an in-transit permit.. it will also depend on how long they will sell you the license for...
Old 08-09-2017, 06:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edison_Chen View Post
The binder Apv38 is valid insurance when you purchase a vehicle out of province. You buy the binder up to 30 days. This is only insurance only and not a license. In order to use the binder as insurance you will also need valid licensing too from out of province. Alberta can sell you an in-transit permit.. it will also depend on how long they will sell you the license for...
I get all that. But I find it stupid to sell an insurance that only covers BC.

Shouldn't it be like any other car insurance we have here that has NA coverage? (or at least CDN)

Going to call a few other insurance broker in AB tomorrow. I read online about someone doing similar thing but to ON, and AB was able to sell him an insurance that covers the entire CDN territory.
Old 08-09-2017, 06:37 PM   #12

Thanked 2,636 Times in 875 Posts
Failed 218 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSALES View Post
Speaking of out of province vehicle inspections, how do people pass with their imports from Japan usually?
http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/CVSE/vehicle...PDF/MV3199.pdf

Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:12 PM   #13
I'm invisible

The binder is valid insurance coverage for anywhere in North America. Even if you buy a vehicle from Florida and require 25 days to drive back, as long as you buy some type of licensing thing you are covered in N. America. The hardest part to make sure the license is valid (it can expiry, there could be specific restrictions, another state/province might not recognize it) and etc..

Another thing is, once you arrive in BC, and the license expires, but your binder is still valid,you can technically buy a free TOP to get an inspection done.

Last edited by Edison_Chen; 08-09-2017 at 08:20 PM.
Edison_Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:50 PM   #14
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Failed 14 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:

ICBC person at a local insurance place told me a similar story. I was planning on buying an E46 m3 in Nevada and they said I need a binder of insurance but it will only cover me when i'm in BC. They said it's my responsibility to get temp "highway insurance" from Nevada, Oregon, and Washington and that the Binder covers me from the border to my home. The binder is ~10 days from what date you start and within that 10 days, you can get "free" daily tags to bring cars to/from shops for work or OOP inspection.

Edit:
From ICBC:
http://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registra...-into-B-C.aspx
"To drive a vehicle home from the U.S., you'll need to:

Buy temporary insurance from ICBC called a "Binder for Owner's Interim Certificate of Insurance" from your Autoplan broker. If you're outside of B.C., call 1-800-328-4484, Monday to Friday, 8:15 - 4:30 PST.

Buy an in-transit permit from the state in which you buy your vehicle. Please note, most U.S. states will not issue this permit without proof of insurance.

If you cancel the binder of insurance before its effective date, the full premium will be refunded. There are no refunds on binders of insurance once the policy is in effect."
Oshiguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:52 PM   #15

Quote:
The binder is valid insurance coverage for anywhere in North America. Even if you buy a vehicle from Florida and require 25 days to drive back, as long as you buy some type of licensing thing you are covered in BC. The hardest part to make sure the license is valid (it can expiry, there could be specific restrictions, another state/province might not recognize it) and etc..

Another thing is, once you arrive in BC, and the license expires, but your binder is still valid,you can technically buy a free TOP to get an inspection done.
Ok... so, ICBC agent was wrong too.

Let me put it down the way I understand it now. I only need 2 things:
1. Binder of insurance from any ICBC broker
2. AB In-Transit Permit (as a temporary license plate) from AB brokers.

Is that correct?

And then once I get back to BC I can just get the plate and insurance accordingly.
Old 08-09-2017, 07:55 PM   #16
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Failed 14 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:

Is that correct?

And then once I get back to BC I can just get the plate and insurance accordingly.
https://www.servicealberta.ca/Types-...nce-plates.cfm

Quote:
In-transit permit
Alberta doesn’t have a temporary licence plate but we can issue a temporary vehicle registration permit in some situations.

An in-transit permit allows a person to move a vehicle or trailer that doesn’t have a valid vehicle registration and licence plate.

The in-transit permit can be used in the following situations:

to move the vehicle between 2 points in Canada
to tow a vehicle
for demonstration/test drive purposes,
for repairs and servicing
for inspection purposes.
The in-transit permit is issued for a specific term:

moving from point A to B (for a maximum of 3 days within Alberta, or a maximum of 7 days out of province)
towing (for a maximum of 3 days within Alberta, or a maximum of 7 days out of province)
for car dealership demonstration/test drive purposes (for a maximum of 7 days)
repairs/servicing (for a maximum of 7 days)
salvage vehicles (for a maximum of 24 hours)
When you’re moving the vehicle from one province to another, the starting point or ending point must be in Alberta.

Request an in-transit permit
To request an in-transit permit when using it in Alberta only, you need the following documents:

identification
proof of insurance
To request an in-transit permit when using inside and outside of Alberta, you need the following documents:

identification
proof of insurance
proof of ownership
When an unregistered vehicle or trailer is carrying a load, a load licensing permit is needed in addition to the in-transit permit. Please see Alberta Transportation’s website for more information.
Oshiguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 07:56 PM   #17
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,331 Times in 4,059 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
I'd check on the AB permit first, as it may cover you Canada-wide. That said you're probably best off having both just in case you have an incident while in BC (I'm assuming ICBC would be easier to deal with vs an Albertan company if you're in BC).
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-09-2017, 08:24 PM   #18
I'm invisible

Quote:

Is that correct?

Yes your correct. When you go into brokers office, recommend you bring in BOS or lease agreement (proof that you are buying or leasing the vehicle). The insurance agent will sell you the binder on their computer and the system will also check if you have any ICBC/MV/ non MV debt too.
Old 08-09-2017, 09:31 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I'd check on the AB permit first, as it may cover you Canada-wide. That said you're probably best off having both just in case you have an incident while in BC (I'm assuming ICBC would be easier to deal with vs an Albertan company if you're in BC).
Yeah, that's the idea. I want coverage from ICBC if at all possible. But if it's too overly complicated, I'd go another option.

I was talking to my friend who lives in AB, he said as last resort, just register it first as an AB car using his addy and switch over once I get back to BC. At most I'm losing whatever the plate costs.

Quote:
Yes your correct. When you go into brokers office, recommend you bring in BOS or lease agreement (proof that you are buying or leasing the vehicle). The insurance agent will sell you the binder on their computer and the system will also check if you have any ICBC/MV/ non MV debt too.
What if I don't have it? I mean, I'd be in AB to sign all the docs, which I assume I'd only get the BOS by then and not while I'm still here.