REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 08-04-2017, 09:43 PM   #1
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,213 Times in 4,601 Posts
Failed 426 Times in 274 Posts
Window Replacement

My folks are looking to have the windows replaced throughout the entire house.

House is about 30 odd years old, and we feel that it's time to replace them with something more energy efficient, in terms of cooling and heat retention.

Looking to see if anybody has any experience and/or recommendations for contractors. My parents called one company in Richmond, but they didn't want to do it. Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 12:29 AM   #2
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,229 Times in 4,016 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Centra did all my windows and front door in January, no complaints so far. The difference in sound and heat transfer is huge. My place is the same age and the windows were original. From memory I believe Centra actually makes their own windows which is nice.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-05-2017, 08:59 PM   #3
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 79 Times in 14 Posts
We replaced our windows last year. I looked at Centra but we ended up going with West Coast. They also make there own windows and like Centra, their windows have a lifetime warranty. Price was similar but I believe WC had a slightly higher Energy Star rating when I looked.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:36 PM   #4
RS Veteran

I know pricing will vary, but did you guys look at other contractors/companies to compare product and pricing?

More so, are there any rebates that are offered for specific types of windows? (i.e. Energy Star etc.)
Quote:
Old 08-06-2017, 09:29 AM   #5
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 79 Times in 14 Posts
Yes, I went to the Home Show to talk to the various window manufacturers and to see their products. I got mutliple companies to come give us quotes. I don't remember all the companies, but the prices were fairly comparable. LongLife was the most expensive. I liked the process that LongLife uses to install windows (they install Vinyltek windows), but didn't think it was worth the 35% premium that they charged over WC.

A friend recommended WC to us, I went to their place to check out the windows and they looked really nice. My friend's parents and most of their neighbours were the first to go with WC about 5-6 years ago (older Richmond subdivision) and they haven't had any complaints. So, aside from the price, warranty and Energy Star rating, seeing the windows installed also played a factor for me. The fact that they had a spring promotion of 15% off actually gave them the lowest price too (only by a couple hundred though), without the discount maybe I would've chosen Centra. Not sure if you can get that promo though (don't see it listed on their website, mind you I did this over a year ago). My friend did suggest that I stay away from C-Sky though, her friend went with this cheaper option and she said their windows leaked within the first year, ymmv. I have no experience with them b/c I never asked for a quote from them; I do notice their advertisement inside the coupon envelope that gets delivered to my neighbourhood every so often.

After seeing my windows, my friend also went with WC (he also got the 15% off, but I think the promo was still on). He moved near the airport last year and he said his house is quiet (perhaps he just got accustomed to the sound, lol).

One thing to note, I definitely think new windows are a good investment, I noticed that my house is much cooler with the new windows installed (our windows do have a slight tint to them).

Also, I don't work for, get any referral fee, nor have I had any contact with WC since my windows were installed. I'm just a consumer that has been happy with their work, but for the shitty job they did clearing my driveway of nails from the old windows. I got more than one nail in my tire.
Old 08-06-2017, 09:37 AM   #6
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 3,019 Times in 783 Posts
Failed 90 Times in 38 Posts
My folks went with C-Sky years ago to have all our windows and sliders replaced. They've held up fine. No leaks. There was a nice gov't energy savings rebate at the time for something like 5k. Made a huge difference as the house originally had single panes from the 70s
Old 08-06-2017, 07:34 PM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,113 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
Westcoast lead time is 2months+

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2017, 09:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
I know pricing will vary, but did you guys look at other contractors/companies to compare product and pricing?

More so, are there any rebates that are offered for specific types of windows? (i.e. Energy Star etc.)
I got quotes from a couple other companies, there's fewer options up here so you likely have more selection than I did. From memory Centra were the only ones that made their own windows so they could make the openings and things exactly how we wanted them, the others were supplied from other companies in the US so we would've had to go with what the suppliers had to offer.

As for rebates there weren't any from the gov't or utility companies but they did offer us a discount which increased with the number of windows and doors we did. I believe they offered us something for any referrals we gave as well.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2017, 11:37 PM   #9
RS Veteran

Great info, guys.

Keep the comments coming. This is excellent stuff.
Quote:
Old 08-21-2017, 01:36 PM   #10
HELP ME PLS!!!

Failed 55 Times in 21 Posts
I have a 70 year old house, and am looking to get 2 bedroom windows replaced. There is absolutely 0 reason for me to get anything other than the cheapest windows available. Do you guys have any recommendations for a small job like this?

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 09:49 AM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
if they're standard sizes check home depot

i think they carry jeldwen, might be able to get custom sizes?
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:24 AM   #12
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,616 Times in 4,321 Posts
Failed 1,035 Times in 351 Posts
Centra is doing all of my windows in Oct and I have been very happy with them so far, I found them at the Ridge Meadows home show and received 10% off plus and extra $120 off per window for the show special. I went to the office and they took me around the plant which was nice to see everything being made local.

Can't wait for 16 new windows total, French doors in the back and a new front door as well.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-22-2017, 01:37 PM   #13

I'm not sure if they're still offering it, but unless you don't have a better option for financing then avoid going through FinanceIt. Yes there's 6 months with "no interest", but there's a $100+ fee to set it up and if you want to make payments with a credit card they charge 3% of the payment you're making, which is probably more than you'll get back in CC points or cashback or whatever you have.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 11-12-2017, 08:58 AM   #14
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
I too need to replace my windows. My house is 20 years old and many of the seals have been broken. There are so many window companies out there so definitely need to do research. Any recommendations is appreciated.
blaze142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 11:50 AM   #15
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,616 Times in 4,321 Posts
Failed 1,035 Times in 351 Posts
Centra no questions asked
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:35 AM   #16
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,790 Times in 5,874 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
The way windows look in person is irrelevant if they leak. There are some really shitty window suppliers out there and anyone locally who is installing windows from Asia I would avoid completely.

Centra is good and centra specializes in building envelope so they would probably be my #1 choice as I’ve had good experiences with working with them and their managers.

Again though, how a window works/looks is irrelevant if the people installing them don’t know how to work the building envelope correctly. If the flashing and building paper etc isn’t done correctly, a cheap contractor could cost you thousands of dollars down the road
Old 01-04-2018, 02:41 PM   #17
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 21 Times in 14 Posts
We are looking to renovate a house, and seems like thr is damage due to weep holes in Windows being clogged. Is this repairable? Can tracks be removed and cleaned? Rather than replacing the whole window? House is about 17yo.

cant imagine how people live without properly maintaining thr homes
Rallydrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:26 PM   #18

well whats going on? Weep holes are clogged and then water is backing up so much it's overflowing into the house?
Old 01-04-2018, 07:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
well whats going on? Weep holes are clogged and then water is backing up so much it's overflowing into the house?
That's what it seems like. They has a student living thr who put out cigarettes in the tracks and sh.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:06 AM   #20

the window is probably fine if its a vinyl window but the floor is done.

is that a sliding glass door or what? why is there a window so close to the floor?
Old 01-05-2018, 01:40 PM   #21

NA, the window has a bench design. so guessing water just pored over and pulled into the wood, are vinyl window tracks removable?
Old 01-05-2018, 06:11 PM   #22

yes, it should easilly be removable with a flat head screw driver or the like.. if its the track the window slides on it should pop right out

hard to tell from that pic though but to me it looks like there is no bottom track or removable section there.. it should be pretty evident if its removable or not
Old 01-05-2018, 09:41 PM   #23
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 150 Times in 49 Posts
that looks like that's the main frame, nothing is coming apart there.

you said that's a bench or is that window on the floor?

what a stupid design.

you better pull up that flooring and see how bad the subfloor is...if it looks bad the sub structure is probably going to be rotten too.....not good news.
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 10:18 AM   #24

Update on my window issue.

I don't know what retard designed this window. But here's the problem. They have window that slides up and down on the inside of the window. Front is empty (maybe place for bug screen). Why the hell would u want sliding glass on the inside not out. This is same for the whole Damn house

can anyone guesstimate cost 58x81 size window cost?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9FC87F02-20D6-42A9-AF59-75D7DD6530D1.jpg (191.3 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by Rallydrv; 04-09-2018 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:31 AM   #25

Somthing doesn’t look right there..

Btw in reference to the original question, there is a difference between companies who are actually going to replace windows properly and make sure proper flashing etc is in place and the window is rain screened properly and companies who will just come and cut out the old window and slide the new one in its place. The price difference typically reflects what is being done