REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 08-10-2017, 09:34 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,628 Times in 718 Posts
Failed 680 Times in 181 Posts
Bite the bullet?

I'm considering getting into riding a motorcycle and one of the first few steps is get lessons from a riding school.

I don't know whether i'll want to ride in the future or if it's just something i have to get out of my system.

Is there any schools/events where they allow newbie riders to tag along?

If not, then what would you consider to be the biggest thrill in riding?
Advertisement
Excelsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:13 PM   #2
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,580 Times in 2,658 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
If you have the urge for it, you should definitely go for it. In the worse case, you end up spending a bit of money, you get the itch flushed out of your system, and you know you wouldn't crave for it anymore. In the best case, you've found yourself a new long-long passion to keep pursuing.

At the same time, if you have poor self control / judgement, you can easily get yourself killed. Sometimes, even when you are careful, and you are riding responsibly, you can still get hurt (or worse).

There. You have been warned.

I've only actively ridden over a 2 - 3 year span before a number of close calls -- at times my own fault, and at times at the fault of others -- gave me enough of a reality check to stop riding. But I'm glad I did it, and I immensely enjoyed those few brief years when I rode.

For me, the biggest thrill in riding is the absolute sense of freedom you get from it. When you're on a bike, you're so immersed in the surrounding environment, and there is just so much you can do, and so much to take in. And the best thing is, you have to work for it. It isn't just twisting your wrist to get the bike to shoot off like a speeding bullet (even though, hey, that could be fun too). You really have to work the bike, and you really have to put yourself into the riding that the sense of achievement is incredible. And it doesn't even have to be fast.

I'm sure others will chime in and come with their own recommendations, but I'd wholeheartedly recommend you to go with Pacific Riding School:

Pacific Riding School |

Good luck with your pursue.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:00 AM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,561 Times in 514 Posts
Failed 60 Times in 33 Posts
All riding schools are the same, so go with the one closest to you.

As for a bike I'd consider a 300cc motorcycle. Has enough go to get up to speed but not enough torque to throw you back. Within 3 months depending on your riding/driving ability you could easily outgrow the bike, and since 300's are the typical starter bike for people, they're pretty easy to sell. I'd recommend getting a older bike, then you wont have any care if you drop or scratch it. A newer bike thats been dropped loses value.

Riding a motorcycle is like when you get your first bicycle as a kid, now you can ride your bike to the corner store, the older you get the bigger the bike and the longer the distance you go.. Same goes for motorcycles, small cc's stay in the city and bigger cc's take you on nice HWY trips.

All the schools have a decent selection of motorcycles, from dirt bikes, cruisers. sport touring to fairing less bikes. See which is best for you.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:07 AM   #4
I STILL don't get it

Failed 55 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
All riding schools are the same, so go with the one closest to you.

Not all riding schools are the same. There are lots of group schools that you can sign up with that will do the job but they definitely are not all the same. Having worked in a bike shop and having dealt with lots of the schools I can tell you first hand their are many differences. There is a great option from a school called High Gear (my personal favorite) which is 1 on 1 training. It costs a little bit more but having someone spend all their time teaching just you is worth every dollar. Most schools will have instructors spending most their time on the people struggling and less on the people who figure stuff out quickly. That means less time spent teaching you which really defeats the purpose of going to a school. I'd recommend calling around to see which one fits what you are looking to achieve and I would definitely give High Gear a call.
prudz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 05:46 PM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 95 Times in 23 Posts
im planning on doing this as well next season, but getting my learners when i renew my license in a month.

From what i found most schools are same price point 6-800$ with most supplying all the gear and bikes. and even with that alone the riding portion of it will tell you if you really want to ride or not..

just my 2 cents though
About kkthind: [22-12, 22:55] ts14 hes so white that if he was a cop, he would beat ts14 for beinng surrey
kross9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:24 PM   #6
How I Mod your mother

Failed 18 Times in 11 Posts
I agree with the first response. Go through the lessons first to see if it's something you really want to pursue.

But believe me and everyone else when they say riding is unlike anything else you can experience.

Good luck with your decision. Hopefully we see you out there
[19-07, 16:52] bloodmack: EB did u change my avatar and title?
Quote:
[19-07, 16:54] El Bastardo: bm i have no idea what you're talking about because i don't speak gorilla
!Yaminashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:40 PM   #7
I bringith the lowerballerith

Failed 23 Times in 12 Posts
All my friends went to riding school and all of them said it was worth it. Some of them did it just for the experience and found out its not for them, others love riding. The amount of knowledge you get from the instructor is priceless. Some went to Pacific, some went to 1st Gear. Like my instructor once said they should put everyone on 2 wheels, you become a much better/safer driver.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:36 PM   #8
Banned By Establishment

Failed 115 Times in 24 Posts
Do your research and check the reviews of other people's experiences with the schools that they.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 01:07 PM   #9
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,657 Times in 543 Posts
Failed 43 Times in 25 Posts
A few of my friends and my gf went to 1st Gear, if you take it with them and actually want to learn, don't take classes near the end of the season. One of my friends took it end of May and he was in class for all the required hours, which was fine. Supposedly really helpful and nice guys, gives attention especially to girls who are having difficulty.

My gf and another friend (both girls) took the course end of Aug, and all their class times were cut short by about 1-2 hours every day. Instructors didn't really give them attention when they were stuck on certain parts of the course, and basically just breezed past a lot of things wanting to leave earlier. On the training lot, my gf told me that no passing was allowed, but 2 people passed her and 1 of them almost clipped her when doing so. When she told the instructors, they simply said "Oh we'll keep an eye out, it's dark."

For close to $800, I'd expect way more from 1st Gear compared to what my gf told me. End of season or not, there shouldn't have been such a big difference in training and attitude from her taking it at the end of Aug or my other friend taking it during May. /rant

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread
NA6 Miata (Budget) Build Thread

Current: 09 370z, 07 E92 328xi, 16 R6
Past: 09 Civic Hybrid, 93 EG Si, 94 Integra GSR, 02 WRX, 99 NB Miata, 01 E46 325ci, 90 NA Miata, 03 CBR600RR
Limitless is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-25-2017, 03:07 PM   #10
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Failed 2 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excelsis View Post
I'm considering getting into riding a motorcycle and one of the first few steps is get lessons from a riding school.

I don't know whether i'll want to ride in the future or if it's just something i have to get out of my system.

Is there any schools/events where they allow newbie riders to tag along?

If not, then what would you consider to be the biggest thrill in riding?
Pretty sure if you ask nicely enough, they may let you tag along in one of those night rides. I know 1st Gear has some night rides, not sure about PRS.

The aspect of freedom is completely different from cars vs bikes. That being said, I love riding but can be so lazy to ride as well.

I personally went with 1st Gear, but pretty sure you'll be happy with either one. That's unfortunate that Limitless' friends had a poor time with them.
tdeweyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 07:19 PM   #11
Banned By Establishment

Failed 115 Times in 24 Posts
The Vancouver Motorcycle Show is coming up so you can ask the schools any questions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote