REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-04-2017, 05:08 PM   #1
I don't get it either

Failed 169 Times in 28 Posts
How Richmond Chrysler Dodge Jeep ripped off my mother

TLDR: Richmond Chrysler Dodge Jeep in Richmond Automall is a stealership that will rip off customers who don't know about cars with unnecessary charges. Avoid at all cost!

So today my mother called me to catch up. She casually mentioned she got her dodge grand caravan serviced at the dealer at 30,000km and the bill came out to be $600. I was curious why it would cost so much so I told her to take a photo of the invoice and send it to me. To my surprise the dealer seem to have ripped her off with some unnecessary charges.

Other than charging $103 for conventional oil change which is over priced but acceptable. there was a $500 charge for "emission flush" and "clean throttle body housing" and "shop supplies". I referenced the factory manual and no where it says anything about needing emission flush and clean throttle body housing in the factory maintenance schedule. I've attached the invoice. I told my mom to not to go back to that dealership anymore. Tell your friends and family to avoid this dealership too.

Advertisement
Boostaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2017, 05:15 PM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,842 Times in 3,881 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
Wtf is an "emissions flush"
Old 10-04-2017, 05:20 PM   #3
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,073 Times in 1,920 Posts
Failed 202 Times in 90 Posts
It looks like the oil change is $103 with tire rotation included. Some dealers charge tire rotation and oil change separately which would make sense for $103.

Emissions flush sounds like it's a fuel injection flush which is way too early for 30k lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 05:31 PM   #4
hoppity HOP HOP

Thanked 1,635 Times in 527 Posts
Failed 21 Times in 18 Posts
Relevant:
Spectre_Cdn is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2017, 05:36 PM   #5
I don't get it either

Failed 169 Times in 28 Posts
I've sent the dealer an email complaining about this situation. Let's see if it gets to their manager make this right. Hopefully they can learn that even though they may be able to rip off people who knows nothing about cars like my mother, but their family and relatives may know about cars and expose them on their scams.
Boostaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:02 PM   #6
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 40 Times in 11 Posts
i would complain to bbb. i dont think your mom is first victim of the scam.

https://www.consumerprotectionbc.ca/...clecar-repairs
aalex is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2017, 06:06 PM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,343 Times in 1,266 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
Did they call and ask her if she wanted these extra services or did they just do them?
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:23 PM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Failed 22 Times in 10 Posts
My mom looks like one of those moms that can be taken advantage of at a car dealership (and people try). My way around it if I don't go with her is to have her decline every above and beyond charge they ask and write it down on a piece of paper so we can review it. I've saved her a lot over the years especially since she only puts like 5,000km on her car a year.
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 06:49 PM   #9
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Wtf is an "emissions flush"
LMAO right? True i guess it could be a different name for a fuel injection service...
Sounds straight made up though lolol. Like what, clean the EVAP charcoal canister? Clean the EGR passageways? Hahaha
Maybe they ran the engine and then turned it off. Done! See, no more emissions coming out lololol

Also wtf is that $52 of shop supplies? All the necessary parts are already charged out, ie: filter, oil, "emission kit", t/b cleaner. It's not like they spent fifty bucks worth of gloves and shop rags to do the job (i forgot brake cleaner loool)

Last edited by coneZONE; 10-04-2017 at 08:42 PM.
coneZONE is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2017, 07:57 PM   #10
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,726 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 211 Posts
Shop supplies is a bullshit charge.
Who even started this in the industry?

It's like a restaurant that charges extra fees after your meal for napkins...
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:13 PM   #11
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 41 Times in 12 Posts
For the most part, those dealer XXk km/mile service is bullshit.

Owner's Manual should have a legitimate schedule(usually towards the back) that should be followed, so just tell your mom to follow that.

My suggestion is that just tell your mom to know exactly what she wants to do with her car when it goes in, and turns down any upsell bullshit. If it goes to get its oil changed, that's the only thing that's going to be done.

Tire rotation at this time of the year may make sense if you just have one set of tires, but for people with dedicated summer and winter tires, it makes no sense.

I thought emission flush might be a typo for a transmission flush, but it's probably just me.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 08:47 PM   #12
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,522 Times in 2,629 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
You know, I wish dealerships would at least have the decency to upsell drivers on maintenance items that are actually useful -- like replacing brake fluid, tranny / diff fluid, tire rotation, suspension (usually shocks?) inspection, etc. I dunno how many times I've seen cars that are supposedly dealership serviced, and yet they have dark brown brake fluids in the reservoir, transmissions that shift like shxt, front tires that are bald while the rear tires are still at 50% tread, and leaky shocks / saggy corner, etc.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2017, 09:08 PM   #13
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Failed 4 Times in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boostaholic View Post
I've sent the dealer an email complaining about this situation. Let's see if it gets to their manager make this right. Hopefully they can learn that even though they may be able to rip off people who knows nothing about cars like my mother, but their family and relatives may know about cars and expose them on their scams.
i dont think your email will make any difference
aeiou is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2017, 09:25 PM   #14
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,382 Times in 416 Posts
Failed 73 Times in 29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
You know, I wish dealerships would at least have the decency to upsell drivers on maintenance items that are actually useful -- like replacing brake fluid, tranny / diff fluid, tire rotation, suspension (usually shocks?) inspection, etc. I dunno how many times I've seen cars that are supposedly dealership serviced, and yet they have dark brown brake fluids in the reservoir, transmissions that shift like shxt, front tires that are bald while the rear tires are still at 50% tread, and leaky shocks / saggy corner, etc.
You mean dealer serviced cars of owners who decline every recommendation and only do oil changes (usually free) and have their own "mechanic" they bring their cars to who don't actually end up doing any of the work that was recommended 2 services ago.
k3mps is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2017, 10:01 PM   #15
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,522 Times in 2,629 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3mps View Post
You mean dealer serviced cars of owners who decline every recommendation and only do oil changes (usually free) and have their own "mechanic" they bring their cars to who don't actually end up doing any of the work that was recommended 2 services ago.
Of course, sometimes / a lot of times that happens. My mechanic friends have repeatedly shown me some of the absurdity that have come through their shops, including cut / worn-down-to-stell-belts tires, (former) brake pads that have grounded down to the backing plate, bushings that are still held together only by the tiniest bit, etc. So I understand what you're saying.

At the same time in my personal experience, however, I've also had dealerships that never recommended doing a brake fluid change on my car; that they don't typically suggest transmission fluid changes because the manufacturer has indicated the transmission fluid is a "life time fill"
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2017, 10:16 PM   #16
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,777 Times in 1,003 Posts
Failed 267 Times in 76 Posts
cleaning the throttle body of a 16...

FUCK THAT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 11:03 PM   #17
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,551 Times in 4,927 Posts
Failed 316 Times in 202 Posts
Justin Chiang, eh?

Name is mud..............
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2017, 11:16 PM   #18
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,590 Times in 858 Posts
Failed 217 Times in 78 Posts
Wooo you know buddy made a killing on this one
Qmx323 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-04-2017, 11:27 PM   #19
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,797 Times in 916 Posts
Failed 1,257 Times in 270 Posts
I often wonder why people get taken for a ride without asking any questions.
Old 10-04-2017, 11:57 PM   #20
RS controls my life!

Failed 142 Times in 45 Posts
call them up, email them, and tell them you're gonna go to news networks. Companies HATE their issues getting to news and will prevent you from going there. I had an incident at superstore where the security guards were discriminating and rude towards my girl where they ended up calling me a liar to my face.

I told them to check security cameras, spoke to manager to have the issue resolved otherwise i'll contact CTV news. Head office called me a week later, fired the piece of shit guard and retracted the entire security contract.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:27 AM   #21
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Failed 409 Times in 181 Posts
Shop supplies is a valid charge, it covers the cost of consumable items needed for running the place, for example batteries for the techs flashlights, gloves, shop towels, specialty tooling that the dealer may need, etc.

It's usually a nominal percentage like 3% of your total labour charge.

So on a $100 oil change it's like a few bucks. Which is totally reasonable.

I don't know why in this instance it's like 10% of the total bill, that seems unreasonable.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2017, 01:18 AM   #22
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,377 Times in 2,402 Posts
Failed 390 Times in 157 Posts
I really hate taking my car to the dealer even if it's covered under warranty. It's like going to the dentist, got full insurance but always find something wrong that isn't covered just to make a few bucks.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2017, 06:02 AM   #23
Boost Lee

Failed 14 Times in 6 Posts
BS up sell for the emissions flush and throttle body cleaning on a 2016 vehicle with 35,xxxkms. The throttle body cleaning is basically spraying cleaner into the throttle body and a wipe. They don't physically remove the TB and service every part on it, IIRC the cleaner would come in the emission package and is done at the same time. I guess now its separated to bone the customer some more.

I use to clash with management about up selling "add on services" with vehicles under 100,000 kms. If you look in the owners manual of most car manufactures, they don't recommend these services until the 100,000kms mark or unless it's being used for heavy towing or dusty areas.

Shop supplies are a complete rip off at 10% of the bill. Like mem405 said, it is around the 3% mark. I use to lower the shop supplies to 2% of the bill because of the high shop rate.
1BADMR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-05-2017, 06:37 AM   #24
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Failed 1,234 Times in 307 Posts
I had my car since 2011, Open Road Hyundai service department was pretty good. Always asked me if I wanted the extra service done. They dont push it. Everything is written on the service paperwork, saying they told me to get these done.
Old 10-05-2017, 07:44 AM   #25
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Failed 150 Times in 53 Posts
they do the same to my wife...lol
what they don't know is she'll scrutinize it harder than I will and they'll feel the wrath if she notices something off

when i take my cars to the dealer, I'm pretty specific with what i want done. I'm open to conversations on suggested services sure but don't you do throw some bullshit my way.

OP i would contact the media if that stealership doesn't reply to your complaint...that's highway robbery that seems to have been going on a while, somebody gonna get a fired around there...
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote