REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness

Sports, Sports Entertainment and Fitness THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Athletics, Hockey, Soccer, basketball, organize games/events, aerobics, nutritional supplements. Also the home for sports and sports entertainment threads.

Old 11-10-2017, 10:40 AM   #1
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,048 Times in 1,726 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 211 Posts
New goalie, need some guidance on gear.

I've been playing floor/street hockey as a goalie on and off all my life. The only thing that held me back from taking it to the ice was the cost.

But I'm not getting any younger and I (sort of) have the money now to fund it now, so "YOLO". I'm basically going to buy a bunch of gear, from skates, pants, knee pads?, jock, throat guard, etc. (I already have the ice hockey pads, blocker, glove, C/A)

I need some guidance on gear, especially the helmet. I'm currently looking at the NME 8. Should offer enough protection?? I'm planning to join a beginner div in January.

Feel free to share anything else that a new goalie should know and expect.
Advertisement
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:06 AM   #2
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 91 Posts
I've started playing div A this year, and in the last 3 weeks I've taken three shots to the head. One resulted in a head injury, while the other two just annoyed me. The bottom line is that you want to protect your head as much as possible. Honestly, the only Bauer I would ever use is the NME10.

A buddy and I were talking about this the other day. Goalie masks are like the old days of car tuning, instead of cheap/fast/reliable (pick two), it's cheap/protective/light (pick two).

My Eddy GT is decked out with Maltese gel and a big cheater cage. It's protective, but it's heavy at 3.5lbs. I would love to get into something new. Bump your starting price to $800 and you're in a good range for custom made and full carbon protection.

Check out Otny OTNYMASK.com, Masked Marvel Masked Marvel Goalie Helmets, and coveted www.covetedmask.com
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:02 PM   #3
retired

Failed 5 Times in 3 Posts
Coveted mask has a local rep in the lower mainland. There is a FB group called "Vancouver Ice Hockey Goalies" Look up Matthew Gibbons. The one piece of equipment you should absolutely not cheap out on is the mask.
Truenosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 07:40 PM   #4
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,158 Times in 391 Posts
Failed 86 Times in 38 Posts
The hockey shop is opening a temp location and apparently are going to have cheap prices on things that have smoke damage from the fire they had.

Personally I'm crossing my fingers on some new skates but maybe follow them on Instagram for updates on their sale/opening date.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:26 AM   #5
Banned (ABWS)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjAlmeida View Post
The hockey shop is opening a temp location and apparently are going to have cheap prices on things that have smoke damage from the fire they had.

Personally I'm crossing my fingers on some new skates but maybe follow them on Instagram for updates on their sale/opening date.
Hope they set up their shop soon... Been itching to buy stuff. lol
This post thanked by:
Old 11-13-2017, 09:31 AM   #6
they call me the snowman

I talked to the guys at ths last week and they’re hoping to be set up in about 10 days. They’re working around the clock to get things going there, with their number one priority being skate sharpening. I hope that Cecil and the guys are still there. It’s the people who make ths such a great resource for the hockey world.

Anyway, on to gear talk. I am running the 1s skates now and they’re dreamy.
Bought my goalie daughter the vapor skates, and she is moving around the crease so much better. There is something to be said about buying quality gear. It’s just so hard to drop a ton of cash at once when you’re buying new stuff.

Take a trip to Langley and check out sports replay. I just dropped off a pair of Bauer 1one100 goalie skates in size 8. They were great skates, but the 1s were a nice replacement. If you can score some lightly used quality gear it will help in the long run.

I have a set of passau Gen 1 knee pads, and also a set of Bauer 1s knee pads that I could let go for super cheap. Just drop me a pm if you want to meet up tonight. I’ll be at planet ice at 5pm for puck drop. I can go over my old gear pile and see what else I have kicking around too.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:43 PM   #7
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Failed 21 Times in 13 Posts
Spend your money on your helmet, jock and skates first. Helmet and jock is pretty self explanatory, but with skates you'll be on your feet all game. If you have uncomfortable skates on, you'll hate being a goalie pretty fast. I personally have an OTNY mask (fun fact: Ron at Coveted used to work at OTNY and fit me for my helmet), but aside from Coveted there's also:

Protechsport (unlikely you'll buy from them given there's a 20+ week wait)
Masked Marvel

If you insist on off the shelf, make sure the shell is at least 100% fiberglass, and make sure the helmet fits properly. Don't go chasing deals.

Depending on the tier/shooters you'll be facing non-pro C/A, pants, and gloves are perfectly fine. I have Sr level G3 gloves and they are so so good. For the set I paid less than what the pro-level catcher is worth. Before that, I had Sr level 18k gloves and they were holding up perfectly fine for beer league after 2 seasons.

Other optional pieces I'd invest in if you're starting out:

- Neck guard. I've been hit with a soft shot in the neck. It sucks. Check out the Aegis Interceptor goalie pad. It is new and uses D30 foam. I haven't seen it personally. I have a Maltese and, for the price, I wouldn't do that again. It's not as hype-worth as people make it out to be. Aside from padding, invest in one that has cut resistance.

- Knee guards. Personally I'd put these as a must-buy but some people hate them. I have Passau Gen 2s which are bomb proof. I've also tried CCM (meh), Bauer Supremes (better), and Warrior Ritual (non-X). If I was buying off the shelf, it'd be the Warrior Ritual X pads

- Elastic toe ties. I went from lace --> none --> Toe hooks --> Prolaces. I love my Prolaces.

- Volleyball knee pads. Makes going down on your pads much more pleasant.

- Step steel/tall steel for your skates. Another must-have for me personally, but it's not crucial.

- Dangler. I don't use one because I hate the noise and it interferes with my c/a, but better to be safe than sorry.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:16 PM   #8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 20 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
I've started playing div A this year, and in the last 3 weeks I've taken three shots to the head. One resulted in a head injury, while the other two just annoyed me. The bottom line is that you want to protect your head as much as possible. Honestly, the only Bauer I would ever use is the NME10.

A buddy and I were talking about this the other day. Goalie masks are like the old days of car tuning, instead of cheap/fast/reliable (pick two), it's cheap/protective/light (pick two).

My Eddy GT is decked out with Maltese gel and a big cheater cage. It's protective, but it's heavy at 3.5lbs. I would love to get into something new. Bump your starting price to $800 and you're in a good range for custom made and full carbon protection.

Check out Otny OTNYMASK.com, Masked Marvel Masked Marvel Goalie Helmets, and coveted www.covetedmask.com
I wouldn't buy a NME10 or any of Bauer's current retail masks. Almost $1000 for a Chinese made mask? No thanks. Buy something Canadian made instead. The difference in quality is night and day. Always try on the mask before buying, especially if it's your first one. I'd recommend Sportmask. They have a couple different price points. The Hockey Shop carries them.

Spend as much as you can on your skates. Doesn't have to be top end but get something comfortable. The cowlings have come a long way in the last 5 years. They used to be very bulky but now are more streamlined and lightweight.

Get a C/A that fits well and is at least Canadian-made or pro level protection. Cheap out on everything else if you're on a budget. Chances are you will upgrade as you gain more experience. You'll go through multiple sets of pads before deciding on what you like.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:45 AM   #9
they call me the snowman

Give me an NME10 at $800 out the door, and I would buy one. But for a grand, you're right, it's too much money.

But you can't knock the 10. They're so light and protective, and you have to admit they look pretty good. I've used one on the ice before, and it's a huge departure from anything else out there. It felt like I wasn't using a mask at all.

But like everything Bauer, it's about 20% too expensive.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:12 PM   #10
Banned (ABWS)?

Where can you practice movements/skating as a goalie? I vaguely recall some stick and puck places don't allow goalies? Is this true?
Old 11-15-2017, 09:50 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Where can you practice movements/skating as a goalie? I vaguely recall some stick and puck places don't allow goalies? Is this true?
The Canlan facilities (8 Rinks, North Shore) don't allow goalies on for stick and puck. If you work Monday to Fridays during the day it will be difficult finding ice times to practice.

I don't play goal any more but when I started out I'd go to Richmond. I had a membership at the Oval and they'd have stick and puck twice a week in the morning followed by a lunch time drop in hockey session. Nobody would ever go to those so I would have the ice to myself and a friend. The drop in cost is expensive (roughly $20 + parking) but you get to stay for both sessions and you have plenty of space to work on what you want.

Richmond Ice Centre runs a 9am-3pm stick and puck on weekdays and allow goalies. It's a hit or miss as to how busy it gets. Most skaters will just want to do penalty shots on you and it's not worth potentially pulling a groin over.

RIC also offers half sheet rentals during the day on weekdays. It's about $50/hr + $20 insurance and you're allowed up to 5 people.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Give me an NME10 at $800 out the door, and I would buy one. But for a grand, you're right, it's too much money.

But you can't knock the 10. They're so light and protective, and you have to admit they look pretty good. I've used one on the ice before, and it's a huge departure from anything else out there. It felt like I wasn't using a mask at all.

http://d2f4ntu1uwyhrv.cloudfront.net...ng?fresh=49582

But like everything Bauer, it's about 20% too expensive.
The NME10 cages were recalled shortly after release. The cages were breaking and stabbed users in the eye causing severe eye damage. You might as well not wear a mask at that point. I'd sacrifice a little bit of weight for added protection.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:49 AM   #13
Banned (ABWS)?

NME 10 cages are using Titanium. I'm not sure if that's a common material for higher end models to save weight, but it sounds like steel cages are the safer choice.

Steel are more prone to bend, while titanium will send all the force to the weld points. And titanium is inferior in weldability too.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:53 AM   #14
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Failed 21 Times in 13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Try to attach yourself to a drop-in (not too low level tbh as you'll improve faster with some actual shots). If you can't do that, try and latch onto a team in a beginner league.

I was lucky to start playing goalie as I was helping out with a Saturday night drop in. If you're interested PM me and I can get you in touch with the guy who runs it now. We had a good mix of players so it was a great place to practice my movements and edge work. Once you're comfortable with moving around the crease play for a team that plays regularly. You'll improve in no time.

The hardest part for me learning wasn't the skating (I'm no pro but I'd say I'm a fairly solid skater) but rather the up and down (especially getting up). It's something unlike what you do as a player so your hips knees and ankles will get a solid workout. To avoid injury don't push yourself into getting a "pretty" butterfly. Learn to use your stick above all else and you'll find you'll go down only when you need to.
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:42 PM   #15
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Failed 231 Times in 90 Posts
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 12:44 PM   #16
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Failed 13 Times in 8 Posts

This x100

Not even just goalies. Anybody looking for new gear, check out THS as soon as they open. From what I hear, the sale is going to be good!
Old 11-23-2017, 02:45 PM   #17

Probably going to end up buying way more then I need, but there is just something about buying goalie gear.. It just always feels good lol.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:19 PM   #18

Anyone go today? I drove by around 11am, saw the lineup and kept driving. I think ill wait till they release their skates. I was after the s190's but if the 1s skates are 40% off i think I may jump for those.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Anyone go today? I drove by around 11am, saw the lineup and kept driving. I think ill wait till they release their skates. I was after the s190's but if the 1s skates are 40% off i think I may jump for those.
Didn't go to the sale but there are no skates, masks or helmets at the sale. They didn't survive the fire.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
Didn't go to the sale but there are no skates, masks or helmets at the sale. They didn't survive the fire.
Oh really. From what they have been posting i just assumed they were not ready to sell them yet. Well then..
Old 11-25-2017, 12:40 PM   #21

Quote:
Oh really. From what they have been posting i just assumed they were not ready to sell them yet. Well then..
Old 11-25-2017, 12:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickz View Post
That's player side, not goalie. The goalie account just says no masks or skates right now. So i guess we'll see.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:46 PM   #23

Quote:
That's player side, not goalie.
Just looked on their regular site. No player skates available, no mentions of goalie but MAP items excluded. The 1S and S190 are both still under MAP.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:54 PM   #24

Ya i have no idea what the MAP was short for. Oh well then.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:12 PM   #25
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Failed 99 Times in 30 Posts
I got there at 9am. Waited 2.5hrs to get in.
Scored a Vaughn v7 pro carbon xf "THS special" C/A for $409. Saved $280. Which I thobwas pretty good.

Skates should be in 2-3 weeks. But won't be "fire sale" as I was told.
No helmets.
Goalie pads seem to be a steal. Vaughn v7's marked down approx. $1k.
I would have picked some up if I didn't have so many sets.

Lots of ppl were leaving with bags full of gear and 5-6 goalie/player sticks.

Some great deals to be had definitely. Worth checking out.
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote