REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 11-27-2017, 12:00 AM   #1
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
collision - repair or write-off?

Hello,

First time posting here...last night my dad had an accident - the car in front of him for some unknown reason slammed on the breaks and my dad could not stop in time, but he managed to slow the speed down such that the impact was minimized.

Here's a picture he took after the collision:

https://imgur.com/a/G0sZ0

Car is 2003 Camry. It has been regularly maintained in a good condition, mileage is around 250,000 km.

Is this a write-off or a 1-2k repair? No air bags were popped, but it seems like the coolant is leaking. The other guy's rear bumper was damaged but that seems about it from what my dad described.

I'm not a car guy nor is my dad, so I had been googling to see what this type of damage would cost to repair, in case ICBC throws a curveball at us and we know how to handle it.

Also, in the situation where the car in front slammed on the break and the car behind could not stop in time, whose fault would it be? I have a bad feeling that it'll be 100% my dad's...

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks!

Tim
Advertisement
timmy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 12:53 AM   #2
I wish I was where I was when I wished I was here

Thanked 3,098 Times in 733 Posts
Failed 703 Times in 219 Posts
ICBC will usually rule most rear Enders 100% at fault, no matter what the circumstance is, unless you have video proof they stopped for no reason.

Cadillac CTS (Current)
hchang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 03:05 AM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Failed 533 Times in 187 Posts
What he said^^

And fairly certain that's a write off.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:04 AM   #4
I don't get it

Failed 65 Times in 7 Posts
Pretty sure it's a write off too. There's at least a couple thousand dollars in damage which is over the value of the car. I was in a similar accident a couple weeks ago and had frame damage. I was quoted north of 7k at an ICBC shop.

Your dad is OK though right? No whiplash or what not?
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 07:06 AM   #5
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 13 Times in 10 Posts
The car is worth between $3K - $5K, just eyeballing the body damage, never mind any hidden damage, I’d say they’ll write the car off.Body repair work adds up quickly.
snowfarmer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:05 AM   #6
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmaz View Post
Pretty sure it's a write off too. There's at least a couple thousand dollars in damage which is over the value of the car. I was in a similar accident a couple weeks ago and had frame damage. I was quoted north of 7k at an ICBC shop.

Your dad is OK though right? No whiplash or what not?
Yeah he's ok for now. But I'm told sometimes it takes some time to see if there is whiplash or what not so we're just waiting I guess?

And damn...looks like gotta start hunting a new car...just didn't want to start looking and have ICBC tell us they can repair it...
Old 11-27-2017, 09:22 AM   #7
I STILL don't get it

Just to parrot what everyone else is saying, this would be a write off.

For reference, a car rear ended me at low speeds 5 years ago, rear bumper (that doesn't have any sensors or electronics on it) was merely scuffed. GrandCity quoted $900 if it was through ICBC
ssjGoku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:26 AM   #8
I STILL don't get it

While on this topic, would an aggressive driver who cuts someone off and intentionally slam on the brakes be at fault for a collision? Or would the fault all lie with the drive that got cut-off?
ssjGoku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:43 AM   #9
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,533 Times in 2,636 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjGoku69 View Post
While on this topic, would an aggressive driver who cuts someone off and intentionally slam on the brakes be at fault for a collision? Or would the fault all lie with the drive that got cut-off?
Without video proof, it's his word against yours, so my guess is ICBC is going to assign blame to the car in the back. At most, it'll be 50-50, which means the car in the back is still fxxked.

This is why a dashcam makes so much sense. Regardless of whose fault it is, it just records the details as it happened. At $100 a pop for a basic and decent quality dash cam, it really is a no brainer.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-27-2017, 09:53 AM   #10
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 17 Times in 13 Posts
From what I know how ICBC would respond, the onus would still fall upon the one who couldn't stop in time as its its your word vs their word on the situation.

Of course, if you have a dashcam, it might work in your favor as evidence that you couldn't stop in time. Even so, maybe it might end up 50/50 or 75/25. Really depends how the adjuster at that time looks into it.
'98 EJ8 Civic Si 'DatSi' - (Sold)
'11 MKVI Golf 'Dana' - (Sold)

Active:

'18 F22 230iX' (DD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
Don’t you guys dare bid on my gay car. I’ll stab you
vyrospec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-27-2017, 11:05 AM   #11
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
My sister rear ended someone on the highway years ago, he was stopped on an off ramp that was backed up and decided he didn't want to wait pulling back on to the highway. He pulled in front of her and she couldn't stop, rear ended him the car behind her rear ended her. No dash cams but a witness, all three vehicles written off and she was the only one not at fault in the accident.

The only reason I mention it is because sometimes you can rear end someone and not be at fault but it's not likely and you'll most likely need witnesses or footage. Generally speaking if drive into the back of someone because they slammed the brakes on you were driving to close or wern't paying attention.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2017, 09:26 AM   #12
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 4,984 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 1,128 Times in 272 Posts
$15,000+ car i would say repair. maybe even $20k+ actually idk

but for $5,000 or less, it's a write off, labour and parts too expensive compared to cost of the car

Can someone tell good or unusual dating spots? Or what was your the most unusual date? THanks for sharing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
my bedroom =D
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillon09 View Post
that's a great secret date spot,
i bet no girl in vancouver has seen it.
Verdasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 12:11 AM   #13
RS Lurker, I don't post!

I guess for an update, my dad got a call saying it is a write off. Haven't heard anything with regards to other party's claim though.

My dad is at -20 on the CRS scale. Since this one happened before the policy change, I am guessing it's best to just let ICBC pay the other driver then? As moving up 4 steps is still 43% discount...

Also, my dad has already gone to the broker and canceled the insurance and at the same time got a new insurance for his new car, but it seemed like he is still at -20. When will his CRS scale go from -20 to -16?

Will ICBC notify us about anything? Like the other party has claimed X amount of damage and what not, or will we only find out during next insurance renewal?
Old 12-25-2017, 12:36 PM   #14
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,051 Times in 676 Posts
Failed 211 Times in 48 Posts
Don't want to thread jack, but I can anyone shed light on a similar situation? I am sure others are on the same boat as well.

Long story short, I was involved in a multi-vehicle accident, and was the last person in the pile which fcukedd ( ) up my front end.

Car looks to have at least 8k in repairs and labour, however the frame does not appear bent (just a guesstimate).

If the car is deemed fixable, is there an option with ICBC where you can request for money (the repair costs for example), then have them write the car off instead?

I have gap insurance from a secondary insurance source, so I would prefer the car as a total loss.
Fcukedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 01:05 PM   #15
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,266 Times in 4,627 Posts
Failed 432 Times in 276 Posts
Wow, the circumstances sure reflect your username here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-25-2017, 01:29 PM   #16
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 81 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fcukedd View Post
Don't want to thread jack, but I can anyone shed light on a similar situation? I am sure others are on the same boat as well.

Long story short, I was involved in a multi-vehicle accident, and was the last person in the pile which fcukedd ( ) up my front end.

Car looks to have at least 8k in repairs and labour, however the frame does not appear bent (just a guesstimate).

If the car is deemed fixable, is there an option with ICBC where you can request for money (the repair costs for example), then have them write the car off instead?

I have gap insurance from a secondary insurance source, so I would prefer the car as a total loss.
ya you can request for the repair cost instead, but let your repair shop know before they start working on your car
heisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: