REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 12-11-2017, 08:17 AM   #1
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Failed 104 Times in 37 Posts
Wire hiding ideas

Can anyone share some ideas on how to hide wire in a wall for a TV with a power brick? Just replaced my old TV with the power unit inside with a x900e that has to use a brick and wire hiding this thing isn't quite as easy. I used to use a Sanus TV stand which has built in wire hiding in the tubing but now I've decided to just wall mount the TV to save space.

Any one ever just get one of those pass through plates and the shove an entire power brick behind the drywall? any issues with that?

Thanks.
Advertisement
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 10:15 AM   #2
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 84 Times in 12 Posts
I have 2 of these. https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00390...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Running the wires behind the wall, super simple install just need to cut the drywall. I only run the wires through the wall, don’t think you’d be allowed to put a whole power bar behind it. You’re not even supposed to run the tv power cord behind the wall if it isn’t classified as low voltage
Past:'06 Civic Si

Last edited by bluejays; 12-11-2017 at 10:28 AM.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 11:23 AM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,141 Times in 1,294 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
you don't want a power brick behind a drywall.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2017, 11:44 AM   #4
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,373 Times in 4,662 Posts
Failed 436 Times in 279 Posts
Sounds like you want a disaster waiting to happen #Korean
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLOW View Post
based on my haircut, maybe
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2017, 11:49 AM   #5
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Failed 30 Times in 8 Posts
https://www.amazon.ca/Datacomm-50-66...in+wall+tv+kit

You could go with something like this and then mount the brick behind the TV.
silva95teg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-11-2017, 12:04 PM   #6
ZN6

thanks guys.

Hey, I asked and didn't do it right away so it makes me less #Korean. Now I know.

Only problem is that the cord that plugs into the wall is short and the long side of the power cable goes to the TV.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:27 PM   #7
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,905 Times in 5,938 Posts
Failed 2,059 Times in 688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva95teg View Post
https://www.amazon.ca/Datacomm-50-66...in+wall+tv+kit

You could go with something like this and then mount the brick behind the TV.
Technically, by code, you cant run an AC adapter cord through a wall, and even HDMI and optical cables are supposed to be rated for in-wall use, but low voltage stuff like that is rarely a concern.

At my last place, for our main TV, i used somthing similar to whats quoted here, it's basically a DIYer wiring kit, the one i used was called a "power bridge"

(i actually still have the power bridge if your interested, I paid $80 i beleive, i'll sell it for $60, comes with everything you need)

This basically creates a jumpered outlet on the wall behind the TV, safe and easy. You just have to be able to cut your drywall etc.
Old 12-11-2017, 02:16 PM   #8
ZN6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Technically, by code, you cant run an AC adapter cord through a wall, and even HDMI and optical cables are supposed to be rated for in-wall use, but low voltage stuff like that is rarely a concern.

At my last place, for our main TV, i used somthing similar to whats quoted here, it's basically a DIYer wiring kit, the one i used was called a "power bridge"

(i actually still have the power bridge if your interested, I paid $80 i beleive, i'll sell it for $60, comes with everything you need)

This basically creates a jumpered outlet on the wall behind the TV, safe and easy. You just have to be able to cut your drywall etc.
Yeah i took a look at that too, looks appealing since everything was self contained and only needs a cable to plug into the actual power outlet.

My only concern is that I won't be using a floor shelving unit and I'll have consoles on a floating shelf. I'll keep that in mind.

This will be my last priority as I'm doing some home improvements, it'll give me time to think about how I want this set up.
Old 12-12-2017, 08:08 AM   #9
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,973 Times in 1,835 Posts
Failed 185 Times in 100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
The only real consideration by code for low voltage cable is the insulation's flame/smoke rating (FT rating).

For standard residential wood frame houses, it's not an issue (because the building materials are combustible). Standard loomex is only FT-1 (lowest).
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: