REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-22-2018, 11:32 AM   #26
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Failed 59 Times in 30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by prudz View Post
That's the problem with this mindset. It's not beating the BMW. You are buying a car for more than swerving past bad Richmond drivers. You buy a car for the whole package. When it comes to everything you get, it's like comparing a rotten apple to an amazing orange. The fit, finish, road feel and overall subtleties in the engineering don't even compare.

Sure, they took a big heavy bmw with it's smallest motor and beat it when throwing weight side to side. However, on every single other aspect of the car the KIA loses. As it has been already said, the 4 series GC would be the better comparable car. Even the pricing becomes more comparable and maybe KIA will even steal some BMW buyers from that segment. I'm willing to bet the Stinger would get rekt by the 4 series chasis though seeing as it is much more nimble than the 640.

To each their own though. You can all keep telling yourself people only buy a BMW, Audi and Mercedes for the badge. The reality is they are better cars plain and simple. This coming from a huge Japanese car enthusiast.
Sorry, I rent BMW's and Mercs all the time when I travel and have never been impressed. Rented a twin turbo C63 last May in Vegas... went to open the center arm rest console and I cut my finger. I pulled over to look and the chrome on the button was flaking off and the car has less than 10,000 miles. Awesome engineering. I do like the speaker grill tho, that's one nice piece of machining... Also, I don't know if the alignment was off on that car but it did not want to go straight when I floored it. Corvette and CTS-V had no problem going straight but the C63 wanted to pull to the right.

To me, a car is a car and I buy one based on what it has and what it can do. Brand recognition has little meaning to me. Besides, living in Vancouver, I'd rather not be another guy in a BMW.
Advertisement

Last edited by !LittleDragon; 01-22-2018 at 11:43 AM.
!LittleDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2018, 12:03 PM   #27
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,551 Times in 3,548 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
I've spent my fair share of time in every manufacturers cars. Enough to know KIA doesn't stand with German cars in terms of quality. I don't even know how this is up for discussion. Any car enthusiast would never even begin to try and argue this fact. At least any that have actually had quality seat time in all these brands vehicles.
It's designed by 2 Germans. One who worked for Audi and another who worked for BMW's M division.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:32 PM   #28
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,229 Times in 4,016 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsnail View Post
i think this car will not hold value
Just look at the genesis.
in 5 years, this car will be worth 10k
The BMW and Porsche aren't going to hold value terribly well either.

Quote:
Enough to know KIA doesn't stand with German cars in terms of quality.
What aspect of quality are you referring to? Interior refinement, or long term reliability? Because the Kia is the one I imagine will be on the road the longest out of those three.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2018, 01:53 PM   #29
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 24 Times in 14 Posts
Hyundai and Kia have improved a lot since the 90s but there will always be people trashing it. My very first car was a 1998 tiburon, and boy was that a shitty car, young and naive I was, and after that car I became a Hyundai brasher. But now with 2 kids and I am less more into brands but more into value, practicality and reliability I have decide to get rid of my bmw and consider a Hyundai, Elantra sport, after driving it, I am impress. With the comprehensive 5 yr warranty better than any other brand it’s a good buy, if you looking for value and the actual product and not what the perception of what the brand is.
kkttsang is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2018, 06:44 PM   #30
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,137 Times in 259 Posts
Failed 170 Times in 46 Posts
I feel I am one of the few who will admit to wanting to buy a vehicle based on brand. I drive a bmw and knew buying it that I would get more features out of a Sonata or any vehicle for similar pricing. The feel of german cars, to me, is just so solid. When I've had friends drive my car (when I've had a few drinks, I let others drive) often within the first minute of them driving they get their 'aha' moment. They'll say how now they get it, as in, why people choose to drive bmw blindly over other brands.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:24 PM   #31
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 24 Times in 14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScizzMoney View Post
I feel I am one of the few who will admit to wanting to buy a vehicle based on brand. I drive a bmw and knew buying it that I would get more features out of a Sonata or any vehicle for similar pricing. The feel of german cars, to me, is just so solid. When I've had friends drive my car (when I've had a few drinks, I let others drive) often within the first minute of them driving they get their 'aha' moment. They'll say how now they get it, as in, why people choose to drive bmw blindly over other brands.
Definitely. But your case is different tho. You are choosing bmw as brand quality unlike many who choose it for brand perception. You sound like a car enthusias who is willing to admit this is a good car despite the brand. Ask some bmw driver why it drives so great. They won’t be able to tell you it’s because of the 50/50 weigh distribution or the stagger tire setup or the mechanical steering in the e90s and older bmw that gives you better feel of the road. But that’s to each their own. It’s just some people won’t even research or look at what some car company has done in the recent years and just bash them because it was what it was is idiotic.
kkttsang is offline   Reply With Quote