REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-29-2018, 08:22 PM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 191 Times in 65 Posts
Ever consider the VW 2018 Tiguan?

50k tax in gets you the highline top model which is everything you would want and more with parking sensors, blind spot, leather, sunroof, 360 camera, power tailgate, lane assist, emergency braking etc
Advertisement
BaoTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2018, 06:19 PM   #27
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a chance to check out the new XC40 at the auto show in Toronto and it looks pretty impressive. The car looks really well built and it has a lot of smart design features built in. Volvo's are also one of the safest cars you can get out there.

bob_chan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-07-2018, 07:13 PM   #28
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,469 Times in 2,027 Posts
Failed 173 Times in 83 Posts
That C-Pillar swoop looks laughably bad

I do give their commercials a pretentious/10 though

GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:13 PM   #29
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
Failed 1,578 Times in 359 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
Why not settle with a new CR-V in Touring trim? Have heard nothing but praise for those things, from journalist reviews and from owners.
^ This.

(OP If interested I know a guy that works at Honda )
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 08:56 PM   #30
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,826 Times in 3,334 Posts
Failed 211 Times in 89 Posts
Hey OP. I know a guy that knows a guy

90' Honda EF Civic HB // 04' Honda Pilot Granite

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-16-2018, 05:50 PM   #31
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 40 Times in 6 Posts
My mom is also looking for an SUV and really likes the look of the range rover - which we can't afford and apparently not a reliable car? (correct me on that). Does the Audi Q5 interior size feel like a Mazda CX5? My mom and I found the CX5 and the Lexus NX300 a bit tight/cramp. Was wondering if the RDX 2019 will have the same spaciousness as the current models and if it uses premium gas. Do you guys think it's a good idea to wait until the RDX comes out?
kiwee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:23 PM   #32

Thanked 2,617 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwee View Post
My mom is also looking for an SUV and really likes the look of the range rover - which we can't afford and apparently not a reliable car? (correct me on that). Does the Audi Q5 interior size feel like a Mazda CX5? My mom and I found the CX5 and the Lexus NX300 a bit tight/cramp. Was wondering if the RDX 2019 will have the same spaciousness as the current models and if it uses premium gas. Do you guys think it's a good idea to wait until the RDX comes out?
The Q5 is about the same size as the CX-5 on the inside, maybe even a bit smaller. I wrote it off as soon as I sat in the back as I hope to put a kid back there.

The RDX promises to be a class leader for space and it should be considering that it's the biggest in the compact class (187"). I'm sure it'll use premium gas as all Acuras do (and it uses the same engine as the Accord but makes 20 more horses - a good sign that it's running premium).

I'm waiting for the RDX myself as I'm not in a rush and it seems like it might hit all my checklist items (it's a bit bigger than I like though).
Old 04-16-2018, 06:31 PM   #33
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Failed 57 Times in 27 Posts
Quote:
Range Rovers / Land Rovers have never been reliable. They don't hold their value well at all as a result - if your mom insists on a RR, lease it.

I would wait for the RDX. Interior looks amazing, styling on the outside looks gorgeous too. Will probably be cheaper and more reliable than the Audi with the "fun" driving dynamics of the Mazda. Personally I am biased against Lexus SUVs because I can't stand the people who drive them (I believe the proper term is "c-lai")...
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:55 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Loc View Post
Range Rovers / Land Rovers have never been reliable. They don't hold their value well at all as a result - if your mom insists on a RR, lease it.

I would wait for the RDX. Interior looks amazing, styling on the outside looks gorgeous too. Will probably be cheaper and more reliable than the Audi with the "fun" driving dynamics of the Mazda. Personally I am biased against Lexus SUVs because I can't stand the people who drive them (I believe the proper term is "c-lai")...
Yeah, I see too many people driving the silver/white lexus around. Not only the Lexus but I see a lot of the Range Rovers too. My mom really wants the Lexus because of the lease/financial rate (-1.40%). From the information provided by the sales rep. I'm looking around $900+ to lease and $1300 to financial w/o down payment
Old 04-16-2018, 07:04 PM   #35
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,551 Times in 3,548 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Probable going to look at a XC40 tomorrow for my mom. The thing is stuffed full of safety tech.

'The most significant development since the safety belt' - BBC News

Quote:
Here is an extraordinary statistic: since the Volvo XC90 went on sale in the UK in 2002 it has sold over 50,000 vehicles, yet not a single person has been killed while driving it, or as a passenger.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:23 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Probable going to look at a XC40 tomorrow for my mom. The thing is stuffed full of safety tech.

Tell us how it is and if you're able to find out the cost and rate
Old 04-16-2018, 08:22 PM   #37
I don't get it

Failed 87 Times in 30 Posts
+1 for NX, everything inside is snugged fitting if your mom doesn't mind it. RDX would be my second choice.
However, moms going to need to get use to paying for premium at the pump.
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 09:14 PM   #38

Thanked 2,617 Times in 1,131 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post

I was quite impressed at the XC40 when I looked at it at the auto show. Roomier than the outside suggests (felt closer to the next size class than to its competitors) and very premium. It's not cheap though - really adds up fast.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:59 PM   #39
Banned By Establishment

Failed 275 Times in 82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvst8 View Post
+1 for NX, everything inside is snugged fitting if your mom doesn't mind it. RDX would be my second choice.
However, moms going to need to get use to paying for premium at the pump.
The 2018 Accord 2.0T shares the same engine (AFAIK, maybe a few differences) and recommended fuel is regular.
belka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:01 PM   #40
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,551 Times in 3,548 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
You can skip the XC 40. If you want one you have to order one and it's a 7 month wait. Canada only got 1000 units in.Most if not all pre sold.

Checked out the Jaguar E pace. Very nice interior great sound system. Not much more than the XC 40.

Lexus NX 300: Interior seemed kind of cheap. Has a track pad to navigate the infotainment system.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:04 PM   #41
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 16 Times in 3 Posts
Upcoming RDX A-spec looks great!
Mk4R32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 06:39 PM   #42
I don't get it

Failed 7 Times in 6 Posts
2019 RDX or the XC40/XC60 would be my choice. I too have to replace my wife's vehicle soon...
eclipseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 08:00 PM   #43

I think my mom really wants that NX300 with the -1.5% rate....
Old 04-19-2018, 12:37 PM   #44
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,874 Times in 604 Posts
Failed 217 Times in 88 Posts
I have a Q3, it has been an awesome everyday car, drives really well, only downside is backseat is a little small. The only issue is that the new Q3 is coming out shortly. I am getting the XC40 next, I think the Volvo is the most stylish small ute currently......
86 944 Turbo with 340rwhp Lindsay Racing kit
15 991 PTS GT3
18 VW Golf R
Z3guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:15 PM   #45
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
All she's requesting are the extra 'safety features' ie; blind spot monitoring, parking sensors, etc...
I think many non luxury compact CUV's offer the above already even without going to the top trim.

If she's looking for all of these safety features plus a nice, plush interior, top of the line mainstream compact CUV's should fit the bill while still coming well below $50-$60k tax in. This is also considering that she probably doesn't care much about performance and don't need 200hp+ to get around town. She will probably be happy with the fact that these CUV's don't require premium fuel.

But if she insists on a luxury brand, then I'd for sure wait for the 2019 RDX. Saw quite a few first impression articles on it and all of them very positive. The 2.0T engine is similar to the one in the Accord except it's tuned for more power with premium gas, and it's related to the CTR's engine. It's gonna be more than fast enough. Acura also brought back SH-AWD which is a fantastic and well underrated AWD system. And Acura finally updated their super outdated infotainment and GPS system with a much sleeker, modern system. It also finally has real wood/metal vs fake stuff. All of those safety features you mentioned are standard as far as I know.

I also saw it in person at the auto show and it looks sharp outside and the inside is much more premium looking than any Acura.
iforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-20-2018, 06:49 PM   #46

Can someone confirm if the 2019 RDX infotainment will be touch screen or not? Although my mom may not use it much, she might might use it to call me.
Old 04-22-2018, 09:16 AM   #47
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,590 Times in 858 Posts
Failed 217 Times in 78 Posts
Quote:
Can someone confirm if the 2019 RDX infotainment will be touch screen or not? Although my mom may not use it much, she might might use it to call me.
If its the "tablet on the dash" style, usually not. Due to how far you'd have to reach to touch it.

Mazda's aren't, BMW's aren't. Benz's aren't.
Qmx323 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 10:40 AM   #48
F**K YOUR HEAD

Thanked 8,153 Times in 1,251 Posts
Failed 643 Times in 181 Posts
I was excited about the XC40 and was considering getting it as a company lease next year but after seeing it at the auto show I realized it didn't feel half as good as it looked in pictures. The door uppers were hard and the crap leather was incredibly worn out (even by autoshow standards). The infotainment is very user friendly but I found the back seat to be pretty poor. Very safe car and has an attractive exterior, but I just don't get the sense of lasting quality on the inside.

The Q5 is the opposite IMO, incredible fit and finish inside but very bland outside. If your mom has had that CRV for almost a decade and is planning to keep this car for a while, I would reckon the Q5 will be a lot more reliable than the Volvo (based on CR).

I haven't had the chance to explore the new QX50 or RDX yet. I had a previous gen QX50 as a courtesy car and it was just awful with lots of vibration and unusable infotainment. I found the second gen RDX to be awful to drive in terms of steering and throttle. Acura's new infotainment looks better but seems like it's still behind Audi and BMW in terms of user friendliness.

Lexus NX is getting a little long in the tooth but a good car overall with excellent resale value and a slightly cramped feeling interior. The rear visibility is also terrible

I do like the new X3 after checking it out at the dealer. It's gotten pretty big inside but the visibility was excellent making the car feel smaller to drive. I think the interior is maybe 10-15% behind the Audi but the car drives and looks better. The back seat and trunk are excellent yet the car still somehow feels small and nimble.

For me, the Q5 and X3 are both very fresh but proven cars. The Acura/Infiniti/Volvo seem alright on paper but I question how they will feel in 4 years. The Infiniti already feels dated inside to me :S The Lexus is a logical step up from the CRV if she doesn't need the space, it will feel considerably more premium, be reliable, and hold it's value very well
ilvtofu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2018, 10:03 PM   #49
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
You control it via a touch pad:
iforyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 10:16 PM   #50
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 2,535 Times in 575 Posts
Failed 96 Times in 25 Posts
Drove an XC40 and XC60.

XC40:

+ Great styling, cute colors
+ Solid feeling with good touch points
+ Interior design is so fancy
+ Build quality is top notch

- Rear seats are cramped and claustrophobic due to the massive C pillar
- No T8 (yet)
- Price
- Base model feels cheap
- B&W sound system isn't as powerful as the other models
- Shifter is confusing
- No manual
- Diesel not available

XC60:

+ 'Just right' size if the XC90 is too big
+ T8 is stupid fast. You can use the HOV and chargers
+ Back seat space is adequate
+ Bowers & Wilkins sound system is outstanding
+ 'Pilot assist' - semi-auto CC

- Price. A fully loaded one is pushing 80 grand. (T8 inscription with all packages) Mid-trim T6 is a good compromise.
- Confusing shifter on the T8 hybrid (normal PRNDL on the T5, T6)
- No diesel motor
8th May 2021 - 30th Sept 2023 (sold)

'99 SAAB 9-3 (3DR) (5MT) (sold)
'02 SAAB 9-5 Aero (5MT) (sold)
27th Sept 2015 - 17th Sept 2017

'03 Corolla (4AT)
2009-2020 (sold)

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Klondike is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: