REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-07-2018, 01:49 AM   #26
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,727 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
I like to have fun when I drive so nothing really distracts me. Plus I love the rickety feeling of my 20 year old car, supercharger whine and my phone set to vibrate, rubbing my scrotum constantly because I'm still a scene kid.

this is life
When I'm driving, I get into this zone of concentration. I can't stand distractions. Everything is set up while I'm warming up my car, including putting my phone in silent.

As soon as I shift in gear and start rolling, I don't touch my phone until I reach my destination.
Advertisement
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 04:17 PM   #27
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,923 Times in 1,117 Posts
Failed 16 Times in 14 Posts
Dozens ticketed for distracted driving despite helpful warning signs | Vancouver Sun

74 tickets handed out in 2 hours despite giant signage stating that cops are checking for cell phones.

too busy looking at phones to see the signs I guess

just the morning some idiot rolled up a one way towards me staring down at her phone. She was stunned when I honked at her

zero sympathy for these fools
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 07:13 PM   #28
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,709 Times in 1,175 Posts
Failed 61 Times in 23 Posts
So there was a crackdown today at the Hwy 1 offramp to Grandview and I was pulled over and accused of using my phone while driving (I wasn't). A cop was stationed at the overpass and called it in.

I told the cop that I wasn't using my phone and pointed out that I was driving a manual and that I didn't have enough hands to be using my phone (I believe the cop assumed that my hand reaching for the shifter was his clue). I was pretty pissed and didn't consider the ways I could have shown the cop that I wasn't using my phone - I wear an Apple Watch to get my messages and there was a pile of messages on it waiting to be read - but he did eventually just give me a warning and told me that I wasn't allowed to have my phone in my cupholder.

Reading through the notes on this - it sounds like it's okay to have my phone in the cupholder if it's not in use? The law seems a bit fuzzy on it.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:24 PM   #29
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,225 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
IMO the location of where to place your phone needs a bit more thoughtful than what it demands now.

Yes, I know cars with USB connections usually have the USB port inside of a compartment by the armrest. But given the popularity of BT connectivity, I really only use the USB port if I need to recharge, and the rest of the time, it'd goes to the same spot it has always go even before Smartphone became a thing: pax side if I'm alone and cupholder if someone is sitting there. It puzzles me that neither options are actually ok now and somehow a vent-mount is good?

I think by having the phone in a vent mount is way easier for one to be distracted as comparing to cupholder or pax seat.

The law needs some clarification on this and if needed, demand car companies to build their cars to collaborate these laws.

Right now we are in a situation where no one has a clear idea on what is ok and what's not. The law says even drinking from a cup/eating is not ok... and yet police say it's "discretionary". Why the fuck do car manufacturer build cupholders if it's illegal to drink a bottle water? It shouldn't even be in a place where driver can reach with their hand given our current law... and it shows how narrow-sighted these law were put together.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:15 PM   #30
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,137 Times in 259 Posts
Failed 170 Times in 46 Posts
I just put my phone in the center console or in my glovebox. A lot of us are my age (35) or older and we didn't grow up with cellphones so they aren't glued to us like all those meddling kids. Having our phone out of reach isn't a big deal to most of us I assume.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:19 PM   #31
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,862 Times in 3,920 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
cupholders aren't limited to cars in BC built after March 2018

yeah I saw them darting through traffic at Grandview off-ramp...basically stopped two vehicles when it was green at one of the busiest intersections in East Van...in their defence it was a Saturday
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 08:41 AM   #32
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 77 Times in 32 Posts
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sourc...fxPPaeokXLb-qL

Here's the cell phone law.
I got a cell phone holder that I use for YouTube music.
That would probably be consider distracting driving

So make sure you have Google maps ready to be open
DavidNguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 09:30 AM   #33
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 1,417 Times in 489 Posts
Failed 57 Times in 15 Posts
Ontario is about to do automatic suspension for distracted driving: Ontario's tough distracted driving laws one step closer to taking effect
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-29-2018, 09:50 AM   #34
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,862 Times in 3,920 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
looks like watches don't count, as they are secured and not hand-held

guess I can instagram on an apple watch while driving on a highway and get away with it but not drinking slurpee pulled over to the side, cool

are there any bluetooth peripherals that can trigger google assistant/siri...excluding the $700+ carplay/aauto decks
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 10:43 AM   #35
I bringith the lowerballerith

Failed 23 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScizzMoney View Post
I just put my phone in the center console or in my glovebox. A lot of us are my age (35) or older and we didn't grow up with cellphones so they aren't glued to us like all those meddling kids. Having our phone out of reach isn't a big deal to most of us I assume.
Also when we grew up driving, cars were simple. You got your basic climate control, and radio. Driving was actually driving because there was not much you can do.

I was at the autoshow yesterday and every car I sat in, I ask myself am I operating a vehicle or an airline. At the Honda booth they had a 1980 Honda civic for display, and also at the Mazda booth they had a 1990 old school miata. I'd still take those cars over the new stuff they have today.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote