REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-25-2022, 08:47 AM   #476
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,012 Posts
Failed 198 Times in 123 Posts
Why are they raiding ICBC again, $110 isn't even enough for a months worth of insurance or gas. they are just gonna Jack up premiums again then
Advertisement
JDMDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2022, 09:01 AM   #477
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,925 Times in 762 Posts
Failed 367 Times in 95 Posts
we wont see it till MAY !

Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:15 AM   #478
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm pretty okay with this, it's better than nothing. But I hope people with EVs aren't eligible.
radeonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2022, 09:25 AM   #479

Thanked 1,345 Times in 589 Posts
Failed 149 Times in 56 Posts
Rebate my ass. We know they are going to balance their fucking numbers with some stupid premium increase along the lines of due to increase in accidents etc. There's never any good coming out of ICBC. They make it sound like they are helping us, but in reality they are nothing but bunch of thieves that took a lot of our money, then give us back a little bit of the money they raided our pockets with.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 09:36 AM   #480
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radeonboy View Post
I'm pretty okay with this, it's better than nothing. But I hope people with EVs aren't eligible.
What about plug-in hybrids?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 10:38 AM   #481
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
What about plug-in hybrids?
Hmm that's a good point. My gut reaction is yes since the vehicles can consume gasoline, but it's possible that the drivers can get around on electricity alone. Not sure how ICBC classifies them on insurance papers..
radeonboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 11:03 AM   #482

Thanked 5,260 Times in 2,000 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
A tank of gas

I voted for Horgan, but damn, this is pretty embarrassing.

Not only that, but I thought ICBC was a dumpster fire 3 years ago? Seems a little hypocritical to use their coffers to give out these rebates for votes, especially when we attacked the BC Liberals for doing the same.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2022, 11:04 AM   #483
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,436 Times in 564 Posts
Failed 40 Times in 21 Posts
So how does everyone feel about what Alberta did and drop their tax on fuel? I think it was generally looked at favourbly from a driver's perspective?

If you take the $110 and divide it on a /litre savings basis which was 13 cents in the case of Alberta. That's 110/.13= 846. So we're essentially dropping the tax with a max cap of 846 litres.

If you have a sipper, or reduce your habits and don't use up 846 litres you're technically ahead as you'd have to exceed that amount to reach the same "savings" had you been located next door. You'd get the rebate regardless?

Feel this has the added benefit of reducing the possibility of gas stations just immediately pocketing any drop in fuel tax by increasing the price.

Don't know, just my counter perspective on the knee jerk outrage.
Can't really change the physics of supply and demand. I feel the policy isnt as pathetic as it's made out to be?

Maybe the marketing and PR message should have been structured more positively. Isn't our tax actually less like 10 cents here in BC? Come out and say we're dropping the tax on every drivers tax for the next 1000 litres! To prevent gas stations from purging those savings we'll send drivers a cheque instead of leaving it to the pump price. Shit they should hire me to do this.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2022, 11:10 AM   #484
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,350 Times in 2,090 Posts
Failed 296 Times in 140 Posts
$110 for ICE only, right? Or would that be discrimination against EV's?

No wait ... we gotta help and support EV drivers.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 11:40 AM   #485
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,877 Times in 3,885 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
*edit* there must be a better solution, yes? Are global gas prices all the same and the price for consumer consists of subsidies or surcharges?

This is fucking stupid. Absolutely fucking idiotic. No doubt my insurance will go up next year, and $110 doesn’t even cover 1 tank of gas for my car. And this is suppose to be a one time thing? And all those fucking Tesla’s in Richmond/Vancouver also get it?

Hold on…

Old 03-25-2022, 11:50 AM   #486
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
Gov confirmed, EV's get it too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 11:59 AM   #487
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,224 Times in 1,256 Posts
Failed 137 Times in 65 Posts
EV drivers are also eligible for the gas price relief payment? Makes no sense.
Honest to fucking Christ the easiest way to get a married woman in the mood is clean the house and do the laundry.....I've been with the same girl almost 17 years, ask me how I know. - quasi
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2022, 12:01 PM   #488
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Failed 5 Times in 2 Posts
That will fill 3/4 of my tank. Useless.
nismodrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 03-25-2022, 12:05 PM   #489

Thanked 3,367 Times in 1,275 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
Thanks for the half tank of gas Horgan, problem solved.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 12:21 PM   #490
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,580 Times in 2,658 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
This is exactly how I look at the issue as well. I had a look at my gas usage last year, and on my primary vehicle, I ended up using around 900L of gas. Averaging things out, it worked out to a ~12Ē/L savings. It isn't a lot, but I'll gladly take it.

The only insulting part is -- EV owners also get the rebate, and that just makes no sense. It's branded as a fxxking gas rebate, so why is the NDP reimbursing EV owners? (IMO, plug-in hybrid owners should get a smaller rebate, just like how commercial vehicle owners are getting a larger rebate.)

As an additional note, I think Hulk Horgan and the NDP have failed to highlight the important difference between this ICBC rebate VS how the BC Libs used to raid the ICBC bank account to pad up the provincial government's annual fiscal reports. With the BC Libs, it was taking ICBC money to make the provincial numbers look good. With this ICBC rebate, car owners are getting money send back directly into their own pockets. IMO, that is a huge, HUGE difference, but somehow a lot of people don't see it this way.

The missed opportunity (to highlight this difference) is a huge mis-step by the NDP because they are damaging their own brand. The rescue of ICBC from the BC Libs-induced financial dumpster fire was one of the highlight success stories of the NDP government. By allowing people to form the misconception that the NDP is raiding ICBC's coffers just like the Liberals were, they are doing themselves a huge dis-favour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki View Post
So how does everyone feel about what Alberta did and drop their tax on fuel? I think it was generally looked at favourbly from a driver's perspective?

If you take the $110 and divide it on a /litre savings basis which was 13 cents in the case of Alberta. That's 110/.13= 846. So we're essentially dropping the tax with a max cap of 846 litres.

If you have a sipper, or reduce your habits and don't use up 846 litres you're technically ahead as you'd have to exceed that amount to reach the same "savings" had you been located next door. You'd get the rebate regardless?

Feel this has the added benefit of reducing the possibility of gas stations just immediately pocketing any drop in fuel tax by increasing the price.

Don't know, just my counter perspective on the knee jerk outrage.
Can't really change the physics of supply and demand. I feel the policy isnt as pathetic as it's made out to be?

Maybe the marketing and PR message should have been structured more positively. Isn't our tax actually less like 10 cents here in BC? Come out and say we're dropping the tax on every drivers tax for the next 1000 litres! To prevent gas stations from purging those savings we'll send drivers a cheque instead of leaving it to the pump price. Shit they should hire me to do this.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2022, 12:31 PM   #491

Thanked 7,603 Times in 2,546 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
To echo some of the above, the point is relieving the DIFFERENCE in the gas price increase, not to pay for tanks of gas.

Assuming we are accounting for a 10 cent premium per litre (e.g. 1.90/l to 2.00/lr), assuming an avg tank is 50 litres, thats $5 per fill-up premium. $110 would cover more than 20 fill-ups which I think is more than reasonable.

Even if you double the price difference to 20 cents (e.g. 1.80/l to 2.00/l) thats 10 fill-ups it covers, which is 5 months assuming bi-weekly fill-ups.

I am fine with this, and expected WAY less from the gov't.
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2022, 12:58 PM   #492
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,284 Times in 533 Posts
Failed 28 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Gov confirmed, EV's get it too.
Sauce?
SSM_DC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 01:10 PM   #493
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,923 Times in 1,117 Posts
Failed 16 Times in 14 Posts

stolen from FB - i chuckled
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2022, 01:31 PM   #494

Thanked 3,638 Times in 1,774 Posts
Failed 693 Times in 217 Posts
Horgan and his cronies expect a 110 dollar rebate to help create more goodwill among voters in BC.

More BS from politicians. Giving me a crumb so that they can say that they did something so that they can entice me to vote for the NDP in the next election.

Hell no. The NDP just lost another vote in the next provincial election.
Old 03-25-2022, 01:43 PM   #495
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,770 Times in 1,341 Posts
Failed 83 Times in 42 Posts
About 3 years ago I negotiated a company gas card in lieu of a raise that year, it's paid off.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I donīt care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. Thatīs how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 03-25-2022, 01:52 PM   #496
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,616 Times in 3,577 Posts
Failed 1,506 Times in 644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
Horgan and his cronies expect a 110 dollar rebate to help create more goodwill among voters in BC.

More BS from politicians. Giving me a crumb so that they can say that they did something so that they can entice me to vote for the NDP in the next election.

Hell no. The NDP just lost another vote in the next provincial election.
And what are the liberals going to do?
Old 03-25-2022, 02:09 PM   #497
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,862 Times in 3,920 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
not just EVs but it should not apply to pleasure use vehicles, IMO

should also be disbursed by a week or two, not may or june..the war started a month ago

kinda like them mandating health workers to be vaxxed AFTER delta & omicron has already ravaged through the population
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 02:10 PM   #498

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
And what are the liberals going to do?
When did I say that I would vote for the Liberals in light of the NDP's policies?

I might as well not vote in the next provincial election. As if anything changes for the better with a new provincial government.

Government gaslighting at its finest. Putting the blame on Russia for gas price increases when government policies of provincial gas taxes, carbon tax are some of the main factors in price increases.

Oh by the way, fare increases are happening this summer for public transit.

Last edited by pastarocket; 03-25-2022 at 02:15 PM.
pastarocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 02:19 PM   #499
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,436 Times in 564 Posts
Failed 40 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post

Oh by the way, fare increases are happening this summer for public transit.
Increasing 5 cents on a one-way fare. Let's not pretend like that is going to break the bank here, and lets be real... 95% of RS wouldn't consider going on the bus even if fares were free.
Teriyaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2022, 02:24 PM   #500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teriyaki View Post
Increasing 5 cents on a one-way fare. Let's not pretend like that is going to break the bank here, and lets be real... 95% of RS wouldn't consider going on the bus even if fares were free.
The point that I am making is that this government, heck many governments, just give voters money in the form of rebates from one hand and take money back from you with another hand.

It's not even about RS nation taking public transit. It's about this provincial government not addressing the cost of living in BC.

For example, tell me how our government is trying to lower the cost of buying groceries for people, for families.

Gas price increases are just the tip of the iceberg in terms of living expenses in BC for many people.

BC = Bring Cash