REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

View Poll Results: ?!
2lbs abc minimum 12 50.00%
aersol can to save weight 0 0%
lol, what do you think i pay icbc for 12 50.00%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2018, 12:43 AM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,846 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
fire extinguisher

let's assume it's not for a WRC race car with full rage

anyone packing one? let's see pics! added a poll too

your mounting option? recharge at the neighbourhood fd?
Advertisement
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 09:51 AM   #2
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,522 Times in 2,629 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
IMO, unless it is for a race car, I don't see why you'd want a fire extinguisher in it though.

And if it is for a race car, then chances are, the rulebook will already dictate a set of minimum specs for the extinguisher. I'd just follow those guidelines there and call it a day.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2018, 11:04 AM   #3
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,411 Times in 861 Posts
Failed 36 Times in 32 Posts
Have one in the 911. However, I haven't looked at it ever, and it probably needs a recharge...

As for why I've one: won't be much useful in a significant fire event, but if the initial flames are small, I'd like to have the chance to keep my car.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:17 AM   #4
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Failed 111 Times in 57 Posts
i have a 2lb rolling around in my trunk.

i bought it after seeing someone pulled over on the side on hwy 1 in rush hour with what started off as as a little bit of smoke coming out of the dash vents, and then minutes later turn into a bonfire with the owner futilely throwing muddy water and dirt at it with his bare hands from the roadside ditch. i don't want to be that guy so i bought one. like skunkworks said above... i like to at least try and do something, whether it's for me or for someone else.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 04-26-2018 at 11:51 AM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2018, 11:40 AM   #5
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,957 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
Mine was rolling around he hatch in the Z. Pin fell off it and fireproofed the whole interior around a slow left hand corner. What ducking mess. Costco unit. Not sure on size but it’s pretty big. Need info on recharge.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2018, 11:41 AM   #6
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,229 Times in 4,016 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
2lbs is probably too small, I believe 5lbs is the minimum for TSD events. Whatever you do make sure it's secured properly but still accessible. It doesn't help much if it goes flying and hits you during the accident.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2018, 12:30 PM   #7
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 87 Times in 22 Posts
IMO, anything modded or over 20 years old should have a fire extinguisher mounted in the INTERIOR in an easy to access location.
I hear of so many noobs leaving theirs mounted or simply left in the trunk. When the fire starts, you literally have SECONDS to react.

Rubber fuel lines get old, crack and leak. Often times, these are the LAST thing ppl. think of replacing on older cars (think of all the older BMW's, Porsches etc)
So yes, I also carry one despite maintaining my cars religiously.
StanleyR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2018, 03:52 PM   #8
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Failed 409 Times in 181 Posts
I carry a 5lb on the headache rack of my truck, and a 2lb by my driver seat.

I only need 1 per the mines act; however I like having the second one handy on the headache rack just in case.

I actually used to run a full 20lb'er beside the job box mounted in the box of the truck, but that's overkill.

I will say, last summer I had to come back through quesnel and williams lake when the fires and stuff were raging (I did so legally with a permit to travel through the closed hwy), and at one point I did end up having to use my 20lb extinguisher, and fuck was I glad I had it with me otherwise my truck would probably have been toast.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2018, 08:05 PM   #9
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
Failed 205 Times in 120 Posts

Easy access one on the roll cage of my jeep on a quick release mount.

A bunch of my buddies have them too. One 2lber doesn't go very far, but 3 or 4 of them will knock down a decent fire before it gets out of hand.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:20 PM   #10

so those who feel 2 lbs is too small, I guess I shouldn't even think about the aerosol cans that might be more suitable for a kitchen?

I think most cars don't have the space for a 5lbs in the cabin...I was thinking of sticking a 2lbs by the spare tire but I assume this is something you want on-hand within seconds and not be running to the back, remove the cooler and other cargo before accessing it

it's more for the peace of mind

ok insurance question: if a smoke starts coming out under the hood or you see a small fire that your extinguisher can handle, do you try and control it? Would insurance even pay out for the damaged parts? or is it smarter to just walk away and let it engulf and wait for the fire truck so you get the value of the vehicle?

Last edited by twitchyzero; 04-26-2018 at 11:46 PM.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:46 AM   #11
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
ok insurance question: if a smoke starts coming out under the hood or you see a small fire that your extinguisher can handle, do you try and control it? Would insurance even pay out for the damaged parts? or is it smarter to just walk away and let it engulf and wait for the fire truck so you get the value of the vehicle?
at a previous job my manager had this happen to him (electrical short in the engine harness). honestly the fire dept. did more damage to his car than the fire did, which we put down with 4 5lb bottles and a garden hose before they showed up. still, it gave him enough time to get all his personal stuff out of the car because we weren't sure if the whole thing was going to burn up.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 04-28-2018 at 03:50 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2018, 09:01 AM   #12
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,113 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
y'all a bunch of poosies with ur danky 2/5lbs

Don't bother recharging the small ones, 10lb maybe worth it but costs will probably be the same as a new one.

Also, make sure the powder is loose every year as vibrations could help solidfy the powder. Once solid, you just have a 5/10lb paperweight to chuck into the fire

if you got a rare car, better get a clean agent

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you

Last edited by yray; 04-27-2018 at 09:08 AM.
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2018, 10:10 AM   #13
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post

Also, make sure the powder is loose every year as vibrations could help solidfy the powder. Once solid, you just have a 5/10lb paperweight to chuck into the fire
how is this done? shake it?

Last edited by thumper; 04-27-2018 at 01:18 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2018, 10:33 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
at a previous job my manager had this happen to him (electrical short in the engine harness). honestly the fire dept. did more damage to his car than the fire did, which we put down with 4 5lb bottles and a garden hose before they showed up. still, it gave him enough time to get all his personal stuff out of the car because we weren't sure the whole thing was going to burn up.
right, so how did the insurance handle his case if it's not deemed a total loss? honestly I probably wouldn't want to keep it even if they can salvage it...probably gonna be tons of problems electrical or otherwise, down the road
Old 04-27-2018, 11:39 AM   #15
Witness protection

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
right, so how did the insurance handle his case if it's not deemed a total loss? honestly I probably wouldn't want to keep it even if they can salvage it...probably gonna be tons of problems electrical or otherwise, down the road
i recall icbc wrote it off because of the amount of non-fire related damage after the fireman butchered the front end trying to get the hood open because the hood cable would not release. they used a hatchet and a powered saw on the hood and radiator support. they even smashed his windshield and roof when they flipped the hood over. the damage from the fire itself was limited to the harness/fuse box cluster and burnt firewall insulation. i remember he had to fight with icbc because they gave him a pretty low payout.

Last edited by thumper; 04-27-2018 at 12:49 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2018, 12:39 PM   #16
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,113 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
how this done? shake it?
basically,

put your ear by the cylinder, turn it upside down and see if you hear a woosh sound. If theres a whoosh then its good.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-27-2018, 01:09 PM   #17

thumper, your post just reaffirmed that I will probably get one for the trunk, but will not invest the time and money for an in-cabin mount

if I can help other motorists or non-car related fires, great, but heaven forbid if my stock slightly older vehicle starts going up in flames, I will just walk away and let the fire fighting professionals and insurance company deal with it 100% instead of my half-measure attempts
Old 04-27-2018, 01:22 PM   #18
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,598 Times in 4,324 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 130 Posts
What for? It's not like I transport gas with the vent off or in garbage bags.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:52 PM   #19
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,842 Times in 3,881 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
I have a 2lb or so extinguisher in the trunk of the RS. Mostly because there’s already a little strap back there in the trunk that fits it well. Do I need it? Probably not. But same reason I usually keep my first aid kit in the car too; it might not be me that needs it