REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-16-2020, 11:28 AM   #2726
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,874 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Where did you get the idea those flights were ever shut down?

They never were.

You just couldn’t enter if you were a foreign national. That’s not the same thing at all come on man.

Virus was already in the USA before there anyway... the response to that was a massive failure irregardless of supposed flight shutdowns. The airlines themselves did more shutdown than Trump ever did.
Advertisement
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:29 AM   #2727
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Where did you get the idea those flights were ever shut down?

They never were.

You just couldn’t enter if you were a foreign national. That’s not the same thing at all come on man...
That's still more than our government did
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:36 AM   #2728
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post

You know, I've been giving a lot of thought to this in terms of this whole concept of "fake news". Google and Facebook are somewhat in a tricky position here that I wouldn't envy, and I don't think there's a clear answer. It's somewhat of a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario.

-Allow Trump and the Republicans to release these fabricated stories, and not censor > This allows the lie to propagate online.

-Censor the fabricated story and lie > Provides more credence to story's validity to the bootlicking supporters via making them think the media is trying to "cover it up", conspiracy, etc.

I honestly don't know the best option here.
The cult is hopeless when it comes to stuff like this. If it's something they want to believe then:

Not censored = it's true because they aren't denying it
Censored = it's true because they're covering it up

But if it's something they don't want to believe then:

Not censored = fake news
Censored = proof everything that isn't censored is also incorrect

They'll never change their minds because they have to believe they're smarter than everyone else at all costs and are impossible to reason with, so the best option is to not waste time on them (I've given up on several that I know) and focus on some level of maintaining accurate information for normal people.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2020, 11:38 AM   #2729
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,756 Times in 1,105 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
trump tries to distance himself from Qanon just enough, but not enough to alienate his base... hilarious that he says he doesn't know who Qanon is after retweeting them countless times in the past. he knows that his followers are all dumbass conspiracy theorists and he literally needs votes from these people if he is to have any chance to win.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:42 AM   #2730
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Ah yes, let's compare things that our governments did that DIDN'T work. That'll show them Libs!

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2020, 11:43 AM   #2731

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
As I recall, while our government was dead set on not "stigmatizing the virus" the US had shut down incoming flights from China, and then Europe. Our government placed no such restrictions on incoming flights.
What measures did our federal government take that the US didn't and should have?
Making sure we don't have 90k people at a football game or have 200k at a biker rally.
Old 10-16-2020, 11:44 AM   #2732

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Ah yes, let's compare things that our governments did that DIDN'T work. That'll show them Libs!
How do you know it didn't work?
-Norm Franz
Old 10-16-2020, 11:46 AM   #2733
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,579 Times in 2,537 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Quote:
As I recall, while our government was dead set on not "stigmatizing the virus" the US had shut down incoming flights from China, and then Europe. Our government placed no such restrictions on incoming flights.
What measures did our federal government take that the US didn't and should have?
I don't have the data on exact federal measures, but to your point, I feel what you mentioned about stigmatizing the virus, played a large part the approach each country has taken to the virus and the resulting outcomes we are seeing now.

Trump and the Republican's messages made everything around the coronavirus a partisan issue, stigamtizing masks, social distancing, or even the belief that coronavirus exists.

Being Republican meant you do not wear masks, it meant you made it a point to not socially distance, it meant you operated as if it didn't exist. And if you did any of those things, as a republican you'd be stigmatized and called out for it, shunned from the 'ingroup'. I feel that in itself accounts for a large part of the outcome we see today, not even considering any active federal measures.

Quote:
I think the issue here is the clear double standard.
They had no problem allowing the New York Times to display a story based on possibly illegally obtained tax returns just a couple weeks ago, as just one example.
The issue is not about how it was acquired, it's about the legitimacy of the materials that were stolen. The NYT story was fact checked and had evidence that the tax returns were likely authentic.

This NYP Hunter Biden story has clear questions around the legitimacy of the emails that were stolen.

Quote:
But Canada is doing better now in terms of Coronavirus cases by population and in job recovery. So maybe that's a good thing ?
2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 11:46 AM   #2734
linguistic ninja

Quote:
How do you know it didn't work?
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2020, 11:52 AM   #2735

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Making sure we don't have 90k people at a football game or have 200k at a biker rally.
Was that a federal policy here?
-Norm Franz
Old 10-16-2020, 11:54 AM   #2736

Quote:
How do you know it wouldn't be much worse without the flight restrictions?
Did Canada's border restrictions not work either?
-Norm Franz
Old 10-16-2020, 11:54 AM   #2737
Performance Moderator

Quote:
We did exactly the same thing. Only citizens and perm res allowed in.

We also did immeasurably better contact tracing and shut down and response... Trudeau wasn't standing there going "Masks don't work, just don't be weaksauce ok... or old... like... be free and stuff masks = communism and rights taken away!!!"

USA is fucked anyway tho, private hospitals, no data sharing between any of them... their whole system crumbles under these circumstances between stubborn and obtuse behaviour and a system where everyone is competing and pitted against each other for $... donezo...
Old 10-16-2020, 12:04 PM   #2738

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
I don't have the data on exact federal measures, but to your point, I feel what you mentioned about stigmatizing the virus, played a large part the approach each country has taken to the virus and the resulting outcomes we are seeing now.

Trump and the Republican's messages made everything around the coronavirus a partisan issue, stigamtizing masks, social distancing, or even the belief that coronavirus exists.

Being Republican meant you do not wear masks, it meant you made it a point to not socially distance, it meant you operated as if it didn't exist. And if you did any of those things, as a republican you'd be stigmatized and called out for it, shunned from the 'ingroup'. I feel that in itself accounts for a large part of the outcome we see today, not even considering any active federal measures.

The issue is not about how it was acquired, it's about the legitimacy of the materials that were stolen. The NYT story was fact checked and had evidence that the tax returns were likely authentic.

This NYP Hunter Biden story has clear questions around the legitimacy of the emails that were stolen.
I believe the issue was about displaying "hacked material". That was the excuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonick View Post
But Canada is doing better now in terms of Coronavirus cases by population and in job recovery. So maybe that's a good thing ?
The us unemployment rate is at 7.9%, Canada's is at 9%.
If you compare gdp growth rate, america is doing considerably better as well.
-Norm Franz
Old 10-16-2020, 12:15 PM   #2739

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
We did exactly the same thing. Only citizens and perm res allowed in.

We also did immeasurably better contact tracing and shut down and response... Trudeau wasn't standing there going "Masks don't work, just don't be weaksauce ok... or old... like... be free and stuff masks = communism and rights taken away!!!"

USA is fucked anyway tho, private hospitals, no data sharing between any of them... their whole system crumbles under these circumstances between stubborn and obtuse behaviour and a system where everyone is competing and pitted against each other for $... donezo...
Fair enough.
I just think much more blame is deserved of the governor's of individual states, rather than the federal response. They don't seem to be getting any publicity for their failings. And there have been plenty.
-Norm Franz
Old 10-16-2020, 12:16 PM   #2740
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,194 Times in 1,974 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
I think the issue here is the clear double standard.
They had no problem allowing the New York Times to display a story based on possibly illegally obtained tax returns just a couple weeks ago, as just one example.
It's not illegal, first amendment protects The Times from posting such information, the public have every right to such information during a campaign.

https://lawandcrime.com/legal-analys...s-tax-returns/

“First Amendment law could hardly be clearer than that the press is protected in publishing newsworthy information, let alone information about a President in the midst of his campaign for re-election, regardless of whether its source was authorized or permitted to provide it,” Abrams said. “In any event, no law barred the Times from publishing its article and if there had been one it would in all likelihood be unconstitutional.”

I thought you guys love the first amendment
mikemhg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:17 PM   #2741

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Was that a federal policy here?
You only need a federal policy when there is a problem. We in Canada did not have a problem. If we did I am sure the goverment would have put the proper bans in place.
Old 10-16-2020, 12:52 PM   #2742

Quote:
Fair enough.
I just think much more blame is deserved of the governor's of individual states, rather than the federal response. They don't seem to be getting any publicity for their failings. And there have been plenty.
That seems to be a more general flaw in how the US works. The President and the national gov't only have so much power over the individual states but people seem to think the President has direct input and control over everything that happens, so all Presidents get credit and blame for things they had absolutely nothing to do with.

It's not exactly surprising given how the US loves to deal in absolutes, but it's a bit annoying to sort through. Though it's not like there's anything I can actually do with the information anyways.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 10-16-2020, 01:14 PM   #2743
linguistic ninja

Quote:
How do you know it wouldn't be much worse without the flight restrictions?
Did Canada's border restrictions not work either?
We can't, but if you compare results for Canada vs. the US you'll see it was a non-issue at best and negligible at worst.

Old 10-16-2020, 02:06 PM   #2744

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
That seems to be a more general flaw in how the US works. The President and the national gov't only have so much power over the individual states but people seem to think the President has direct input and control over everything that happens, so all Presidents get credit and blame for things they had absolutely nothing to do with.

It's not exactly surprising given how the US loves to deal in absolutes, but it's a bit annoying to sort through. Though it's not like there's anything I can actually do with the information anyways.
I don't consider it a flaw.
Our Canadian federalist government was founded on the same principals.
It's important that provincial and municipal governments remain autonomous.

Quote:
We can't, but if you compare results for Canada vs. the US you'll see it was a non-issue at best and negligible at worst.
Taiwan also restricted flights early. 7 deaths total. Was it negligible for them as well?
-Norm Franz
Old 10-16-2020, 02:30 PM   #2745
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,287 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts

Well, Savanna, that is debatable whether he is someone's crazy uncle ...
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:34 PM   #2746
Performance Moderator

^
Trumpy didn't disagree with her.... cuz actually he IS someone's crazy uncle.

Quote:
Taiwan also restricted flights early. 7 deaths total. Was it negligible for them as well?
Richmond was also crazy low in cases compared to everywhere else... why? Cuz Asian people are keen to wear masks / it’s engrained in their culture already from pollution avoidance (2 stroke scooters are awful) and previous virus problems.
Old 10-16-2020, 02:56 PM   #2747

Quote:
I don't consider it a flaw.
Our Canadian federalist government was founded on the same principals.
It's important that provincial and municipal governments remain autonomous
The separation may not be a flaw, but so many people thinking the responsibility for things lies in the hands of people who have nothing to do with them while simultaneously ignoring those who are actually responsible is absolutely flawed.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2020, 03:03 PM   #2748
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Taiwan also had test and trace, mandatory quarantine, masking, and a healthy respect for the virus since day 0. It also did not restrict flights early. I know this because my dad connected through TPE in April.

I don't know what you're trying to get at here. You've picked an odd hill to die on.

This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2020, 03:28 PM   #2749
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,198 Times in 8,392 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Bastardo View Post

Literally retweeting/responding to fake news on a fake news website.

Thank you Donald, very cool.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-16-2020, 04:18 PM   #2750
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,387 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 1,390 Times in 625 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
The cult is hopeless when it comes to stuff like this. If it's something they want to believe then:

Not censored = it's true because they aren't denying it
Censored = it's true because they're covering it up

But if it's something they don't want to believe then:

Not censored = fake news
Censored = proof everything that isn't censored is also incorrect

They'll never change their minds because they have to believe they're smarter than everyone else at all costs and are impossible to reason with, so the best option is to not waste time on them (I've given up on several that I know) and focus on some level of maintaining accurate information for normal people.
That's absolutely true, it's also true that Biden supporters are doing the exact same thing, they immediately deny/doubt the Biden leaks, and won't even give it attention, it's a scary situation when both sides feel like they're 100% in the right, and just turn on the blinders when potential doubt in their belief appears

Again, America is so fucked n scary atm, I'm glad our borders are going to remain closed for awhile longer, cuz it looks like it may get even crazier down there soon
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: