REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-13-2018, 06:47 PM   #276
HELP ME PLS!!!

Failed 40 Times in 26 Posts
Advertisement
Old 06-13-2018, 10:14 PM   #277
SiRVs up, dude

Failed 31 Times in 17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
While that is the popularly expressed excuse, there is no evidence that decreased population has a detrimental effect on gdp per capita.
Is there evidence to the contrary? Is evidence even needed? All you need is common sense. How do you expect social services to continue for an aging population with no young working base to pay taxes or social securities for the older generation?
Old 06-14-2018, 12:06 AM   #278
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,848 Times in 3,914 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
devil's advocate: what if a closed-off country has enough workers aged 16-55 because very little gets outsourced

there must be examples of this somewhere in the world?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 12:53 AM   #279
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
devil's advocate: what if a closed-off country has enough workers aged 16-55 because very little gets outsourced

there must be examples of this somewhere in the world?
North Korea. I'm being serious.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:14 AM   #280

Japan lowers its age of adulthood to 18

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/14/asia/...ill/index.html
Old 06-14-2018, 01:58 AM   #281
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 292 Times in 68 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
More seclusion and nationalism is the opposite of what human kind needs to progress.
Reads quote... Reads location...

Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 02:27 AM   #282
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,198 Times in 8,392 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
Reads quote... Reads location...

Yup, I live in an administrative region of one of the most nationalistic countries on the planet.

Sucks but what can I do about it? It just one part that doesn't go with my personal beliefs. Pretty much no country does at this point... If I was REALLY concerned I guess I could move to antarctica

What does support my beliefs is that I moved here for no reason other than I like it and want to live here. It would be cool if the whole world had the freedom to do so (and probably eventually will, but no time soon I'm sure). Until we have a singular unified world, including race, country, currency, everything, we're basically cavemen fighting over who gets to make the planet unsuitable for living faster
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2018, 01:10 PM   #283
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Failed 57 Times in 27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
And what exactly might a "Canada First" immigration policy look like? You do realize that Canada has a birthrate that is much lower than the replacement rate, right? And without new immigrants, even the crappy system that we have right now would collaspe into absolute ruins.
I'm not suggesting that we limit immigration entirely, but I think revamping what we have now would be a solid start. Such as reforming the provincial nominee program so that there is some actual accountability:

https://globalnews.ca/news/3886743/q...ram-vancouver/

In my opinion, the above article shows how some aspects of our immigration program have directly contributed to the issues that young people are facing today.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/0...te_a_23456339/

https://globalnews.ca/news/3429950/c...en-census-216/

Several studies and reports show that there is a correlation between the declining birth rate and the rising cost of living in Canada's metropolitan areas. Personally, I am not a very left-wing type of guy who believes that everyone making minimum wage should afford a Yaletown apartment, far from it. But I do think home ownership should be attainable for the average person with a solid education and hard work. The majority of people I know who fall into that category and are technically making "decent money" (50-70k net per year) are unable to buy a home near their place of work, can you really blame them for not even thinking about having children even though they are in the age bracket (26-31) that many of our parents were when they had us?
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 03:42 PM   #284
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiRV View Post
Is there evidence to the contrary? Is evidence even needed? All you need is common sense. How do you expect social services to continue for an aging population with no young working base to pay taxes or social securities for the older generation?
That actually makes zero sense.
The people immigrating will also age and need to be covered. What then? Continue immigrating from countries with a never-ending supply until...?
How about housing costs? Infrastructure? Inflation?
I don't need to prove contrary. I just need to prove that it's not true.
All you need to do is look at OECD gdp per capita, and see if there's any correlation to population growth. There is not.

Japan is a country that has adapted to its aging population. Not only through technology. But by treating them as a market, among other adaptations like healthcare changes.
They have rejected the pretense that an overall gdp growth is necessary even at the cost of diluting their culture. A sentiment that's rapidly growing across the socialized EU states.

I have a huge amount of respect for Japan. They see the benefits of protecting culture.
Extremely technologically advanced. Some of the lowest crime rates in the world. Some of the lowest wage gaps, ultimately the most middle class country in the world. They are very unified. They understand what works and they won't change it even in the face of the "expert" economists who've predicted their economic collapse for decades.
They have always adapted.

Quote:
Until we have a singular unified world, including race, country, currency, everything, we're basically cavemen fighting over who gets to make the planet unsuitable for living faster
So one world government. no cultures. No history. No borders. No races.
I can't even express how disturbing that statement is to me
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2018, 04:10 PM   #285
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,872 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Everyone just keep fucking each other until we’re all one colour dammit!!!
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-14-2018, 06:07 PM   #286
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,472 Times in 2,028 Posts
Failed 173 Times in 83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Everyone just keep fucking each other until we’re all one colour dammit!!!
In colour theory:

White is the inclusion of ALL COLOURS.

Therefore white is the the most inclusive colour.

That's why it's okay to be white.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 07:28 PM   #287
HELP ME PLS!!!

Failed 40 Times in 26 Posts
There is subtractive colour theory where all the colours combine to make black.

Old 06-14-2018, 07:40 PM   #288
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,472 Times in 2,028 Posts
Failed 173 Times in 83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
There is subtractive colour theory where all the colours combine to make black.

'Subractive' sounds negative though and if linked to Black, well can you imagine the fallout?

GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 08:31 PM   #289

Quote:

So one world government. no cultures. No history. No borders. No races.
I can't even express how disturbing that statement is to me
You can respect cultural history and ethnicity without it being life-defining. There can be room for all races, religions, etc, as long as they are inclusive of each other the same way.

You think it's disturbing to see people as "people" rather than defining them based on what part of the planet they happened to be born on.

Try meeting people from around the world, you'll find that we are all the same at a base level. How is that so disturbing?
Old 06-14-2018, 09:46 PM   #290

Quote:
You can respect cultural history and ethnicity without it being life-defining. There can be room for all races, religions, etc, as long as they are inclusive of each other the same way.

You think it's disturbing to see people as "people" rather than defining them based on what part of the planet they happened to be born on.

Try meeting people from around the world, you'll find that we are all the same at a base level. How is that so disturbing?
Why is it that if i go to Richmond the vast majority are of Chinese descent?
And if i go to Surrey, say Newton, the majority are Indian descent?

I see people as people. You can't refute thousands of years of human behavioral evolution.
Canada, the most "multicultural" country in the western world is a prime example of how detached from reality that ideal is
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 06-14-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 10:09 PM   #291

Quote:

I see people as people. You can't refute thousands of years of behavioral human evolution.
Canada, the most "multicultural" country in the western world is a prime example of how detached from reality that ideal is
Don't worry the Indians, Chinese and blacks are spreading. I have seen a huge increase of Chinese in Nanaimo. Also a big increase of blacks. Nanaimo has more than 15 Sushi restaurants. That's one for about every 5500 residents.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:14 AM   #292

Quote:

I see people as people. You can't refute thousands of years of human behavioral evolution.
I'd argue that it's the opposite. People will of course congregate with what they're familiar with, it's just human nature that has been ingrained for thousands of years because reasons. But anyone from Surrey can go to Richmond for whatever reason they want, and vice versa. The 'majority' of a location may be one culture, but there is plenty of others sprinkled in there, along with a lot of 'Canadian' being developed with a combination of all of them.

What you're imagining is basically two neighbouring countries who are hostile to each other, or at the very least want nothing to do with the other, not letting the others come in to stay.

The fact that you are using Japan, practically a dying country, as an example of something good because they are still so insular and isolated in many ways, is kind of interesting. You actually want Canada (and the rest of the world) to be that way? That's disturbing
This post thanked by:
Old 06-15-2018, 11:08 AM   #293

Quote:
I'd argue that it's the opposite. People will of course congregate with what they're familiar with, it's just human nature that has been ingrained for thousands of years because reasons. But anyone from Surrey can go to Richmond for whatever reason they want, and vice versa. The 'majority' of a location may be one culture, but there is plenty of others sprinkled in there, along with a lot of 'Canadian' being developed with a combination of all of them.
Yes, i remember growing up and the cultures were sprinkled. I quite enjoyed that.
Unfortunately,once certain population thresholds are reached, the cultures divide.
multiculturalism is an impossibility to begin with. Governments, climates, currency, geology, history. None of the cultural aspects beyond language and ethnicity can be transferred to another country.

Quote:
What you're imagining is basically two neighbouring countries who are hostile to each other, or at the very least want nothing to do with the other, not letting the others come in to stay.
What I'm imagining is that in reality, diversity is not a strength. No matter how many times that statement is repeated.
In China, how much money and energy is spent on maintaining obedience internally throughout the many diverse districts of the country?
I've heard figures nearly as high as it's entire military budget.

Quote:
The fact that you are using Japan, practically a dying country, as an example of something good because they are still so insular and isolated in many ways, is kind of interesting. You actually want Canada (and the rest of the world) to be that way? That's disturbing
Oh I'm not delusional. Japan and Canada are polar opposites in that regard. There is no changing that. What I'm arguing (and this is just my opinion) is that Canada is a failed model, flying in the face of not only common sense, but nearly all studies and research performed on the topic.
It's not something that I'm really upset about. I won't be picketing the streets with signs of "git them dern immergrants atta muh country". It just kinda is what it is. What Canada was formed of.
And I'm sure Japan will continue to be "dying" as other more politically correct countries attempt to maintain their roles as not much more than gdp factories
-Norm Franz
This post thanked by:
Old 06-15-2018, 11:15 AM   #294
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 91 Posts
^
Interesting take on that welfare. I agree with the gyst of your reply.
But something I saw during Trump's campaign showed me that regardless of your skin color, people can bond over nationalism. You had folks with Mexican heritage commenting about "non-Americans" crossing the border and taking der jerbs. A lot of these folks were not born there, but because they were American citizens, that is how they self identified.

Same goes for Vancouver, where you have naturalized citizens from Hong Kong or China, who are against the fuer dai. Folks who immigrated here in the mid 2000's now complaining that they can't afford a house thanks to foreign ownership. These are folks who have a common enemy to their/out culture. Needless to say, a lot can be accomplished under the banner of nationalism, which is something that Canada lacks dearly.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-15-2018, 11:35 AM   #295

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
^
Interesting take on that welfare. I agree with the gyst of your reply.
But something I saw during Trump's campaign showed me that regardless of your skin color, people can bond over nationalism. You had folks with Mexican heritage commenting about "non-Americans" crossing the border and taking der jerbs. A lot of these folks were not born there, but because they were American citizens, that is how they self identified.

Same goes for Vancouver, where you have naturalized citizens from Hong Kong or China, who are against the fuer dai. Folks who immigrated here in the mid 2000's now complaining that they can't afford a house thanks to foreign ownership. These are folks who have a common enemy to their/out culture. Needless to say, a lot can be accomplished under the banner of nationalism, which is something that Canada lacks dearly.
Yes yes. That is kinda my point.
The sentiment in this country is ethnic nationalism (diversity is our strength). This is (again, my opinion) a failed ideal.
In a "multicultural" country, you can not have ethnic and civic nationalism coincide. It really is one or the other.

Trump rarely refers to specific races. Usually as Americans as a whole.
-Norm Franz
Old 06-15-2018, 01:08 PM   #296

Quote:
Yes yes. That is kinda my point.
The sentiment in this country is ethnic nationalism (diversity is our strength). This is (again, my opinion) a failed ideal.
In a "multicultural" country, you can not have ethnic and civic nationalism coincide. It really is one or the other.
The strong sense of family and community is the reason why South Asians are killing it anywhere they go. Same goes for the Jewish community in the states.

You can have ethnic and civic nationalism just look at the head of our military.

Old 06-15-2018, 02:15 PM   #297
private modder

Thanked 2,769 Times in 777 Posts
Failed 47 Times in 35 Posts
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2018, 10:06 AM   #298

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Bursting the 'institutional racism' bubble
-Norm Franz
Old 06-16-2018, 02:42 PM   #299
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Failed 8 Times in 6 Posts
Read this as an interesting way for Canada to fight the trade war. Essentially threaten to allow Canadian companies to knock off medication from their American counterparts.

https://canadians.org/blog/should-tr...rade-war-trump
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 12:27 AM   #300

Why not true free and fair trade?

Trump suggests dropping all tariffs, trade barriers at G7 summit - Business Insider

Quote:
President Donald Trump suggested a radical change to the international trading system in an apparent reversal of his recent tariff policy.

During a press conference at the G7 summit in Quebec, Canada, Trump said that he suggested that all tariffs, trade barriers, and industrial subsidies should be dropped in order to facilitate free trade.

"No tariffs, no barriers, that's the way it should be," Trump said. "And no subsides, I even said not tariffs."
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 06-17-2018 at 12:33 AM.