REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 11-04-2020, 01:02 PM   #3276
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,198 Times in 8,392 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Voting in Biden isn't going to immediately fix everything. Obviously replacing Trump's cabinet will have a huge effect, but Trump has damaged America so much that it might never recover.

For instance, these people are ACTIVELY TRYING TO STOP THE DEMOCRATIC PROCESS

THESE PEOPLE ARE FUCKING TRYING TO GET A DICTATOR INTO OFFICE

America is broken. And yeah, it's probably due to the power of social media. Those of us in our late 30's early 40's have witnessed the birth and growth of the internet, and there's no way we would have heard of people believing in flat earth, QAnon, and shit like that even 10-20 years ago. It's mind blowing. Somehow all this access to information is able to make a certain percentage of the population stupid. Even respectable people that you'd never guess to be "that type of person" are susceptible to it.
Advertisement
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2020, 01:21 PM   #3277
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,748 Times in 1,104 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
if biden wins, and i'm not getting my hopes too high till it's all over, i'll just be glad that i won't have to listens to trumps fucking voice anymore.
unit is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2020, 01:24 PM   #3278
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
It's mind blowing. Somehow all this access to information is able to make a certain percentage of the population stupid. Even respectable people that you'd never guess to be "that type of person" are susceptible to it.
The people out there have always been that stupid, that's nothing new. Just in the past, they were limited to their small geographical area and would be brushed off/ignored by normal people (Back in the day you'd see that crazy person holding conspiracy theory signs on street corners. You'd just think, what's wrong with that guy? He's crazy. And then you'd just go about your day). The internet now has just allowed them to connect with each other and organize.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2020, 01:30 PM   #3279

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
The people out there have always been that stupid, that's nothing new. Just in the past, they were limited to their small geographical area and would be brushed off/ignored by normal people (Back in the day you'd see that crazy person holding conspiracy theory signs on street corners. You'd just think, what's wrong with that guy? He's crazy. And then you'd just go about your day). The internet now has just allowed them to connect with each other and organize.
That's the thing, back then there were a few crazies who were anti-vax, believed in weird conspiracy theories things like that. We called them "tin foil hat" people. Even 911 conspiracy theorists were a pretty small but loud minority.

Now there's a HUGE number of people who think QAnon is real. They think the democrats have a pedophile ring that tortures children to release adrenaline into the bloodstream, and inject that blood into them. They think Trump knows all about it and the reason he's running for president is to save the children. They elected two of those people into Congress. It's different now. These aren't the same people who would stand on the side of the road yelling at random people. Now they live regular lives, probably have jobs and families, but still participate in this shit.

How many millions of this guy are there now, that we never heard from before?

And Trump is weaponizing them, as we have seen for months now, and especially today as seen in the tweet I posted above. He's getting ready to light the house on fire and sneak out the back door, the question is how much damage will be done before the fire goes out?
Old 11-04-2020, 01:34 PM   #3280
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Now that it looks pretty certain that Biden is gonna win, I'm gonna make the prediction that if he takes his job seriously, he is gonna end up killing himself (figuratively speaking, of course). I don't think Biden's health has what it takes to make him last 4 years as POTUS, and that means Harris, the VP with minimal experience, is gonna step into the POTUS seat.

May God bless America...
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-04-2020, 01:44 PM   #3281

Thanked 31,910 Times in 7,396 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Minimal experience....
There’s literally someone in the white house right now with ZERO political experience, a college degree his father purchased for him, and dozens of bankrupt companies. You could put a fucking toaster strudel in there and I’d be less worried.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 01:53 PM   #3282

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Minimal experience....
There’s literally someone in the white house right now with ZERO political experience, a college degree his father purchased for him, and dozens of bankrupt companies. You could put a fucking toaster strudel in there and I’d be less worried.
No fucking doubt.

Minimal experience? Kamala Harris was a California DA for 7 years, Attorney General for 6 years, and Senator for 4 years.

Prior to becoming president, Trump was a shitty businessman and reality TV star.

So much more experience hey?
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2020, 01:56 PM   #3283

Quote:

This is just the Republican's sore loser versions of "Not my president" tantrums like what happened with democrats in 2016.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 11-04-2020, 01:56 PM   #3284

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Now that it looks pretty certain that Biden is gonna win, I'm gonna make the prediction that if he takes his job seriously, he is gonna end up killing himself (figuratively speaking, of course). I don't think Biden's health has what it takes to make him last 4 years as POTUS, and that means Harris, the VP with minimal experience, is gonna step into the POTUS seat.

May God bless America...
Kamala Harris inexperienced... Not calling you out Traum, but where does that idea even come from? Just assuming it and not checking to make sure?
Old 11-04-2020, 01:57 PM   #3285
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:

May God bless America...
Experience? As opposed to a one-term Senator from Illinois (Kamala is also a one-termer)? Or the star of TV's The Apprentice? Please...when has experience ever been a qualifier for the job?

This is what I've suspected - a vote for Biden is really a shadow vote for Harris for President given his age/condition. He probably won't run again in 2024 for that very reason. I think a large subset of Americans could not stomach voting for a bi-racial liberal woman from California as their leader, which is perhaps why this election is so much closer than predicted.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2020, 01:58 PM   #3286

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
This is just the Republican's sore loser versions of "Not my president" tantrums like what happened with democrats in 2016.
Those crazies were in denial, but they weren't trying to disrupt the democratic process... That's what's mind blowing to me. Trump is trying to turn himself into a dictator before our eyes, and a huge portion of the population is supporting it

I don't think the Republicans will stand for it though. I think the politicians among them (not Trump's goofball cronies) are going to try to put a stop to it.
Old 11-04-2020, 02:00 PM   #3287

We'll see how Harris does when she steps into the hot seat.

As to Trump, there are certain qualities he has (mainly being a business bully) that aligns well with being POTUS. More important than anything else is how he has single-handedly bullied China and Xi into submission. With the ever-escalating ambitions that China / Xi has on the world stage, Trump would have been the perfect candidate to counter that.

Do you honestly see Harris being able to rein China an Xi in? Obama failed to contain China, and Biden was by his side all along.
Old 11-04-2020, 02:00 PM   #3288
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,849 Times in 1,104 Posts
Failed 16 Times in 14 Posts
the "type of person" just replaced organized religion w organized conspiracy

they want to follow something, they want to be part of something. They want peers. it doesn't really matter what the calling is, as long as they feel accepted by the group

the church/temple etc used to cover all of that

bad actors have co-opted the receptive nature of "these types of people" using the power of the internet/social media.
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2020, 02:01 PM   #3289

Trump hasn't done shit to Xi
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-04-2020, 02:06 PM   #3290
linguistic ninja

Quote:

As to Trump, there are certain qualities he has (mainly being a business bully) that aligns well with being POTUS. More important than anything else is how he has single-handedly bullied China and Xi into submission. With the ever-escalating ambitions that China / Xi has on the world stage, Trump would have been the perfect candidate to counter that.

Do you honestly see Harris being able to rein China an Xi in? Obama failed to contain China, and Biden was by his side all along.
Uhh no. China is stronger than ever, due in some part to Trump backing it into a corner and acting like a petulant child wrt trade matters.

This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2020, 02:09 PM   #3291

Quote:

LOL. Ah the old "He has business acumen" fallacy. That wore out years ago.

All him being a "business bully" has done is had his closest allied countries to turn away from him. He has done fuck all to affect China and Russia is grinning from ear to ear looking like the stable country right now.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2020, 02:18 PM   #3292
linguistic ninja

I wanna know what Hehe's take is on all this.

Could someone PLEEASE get a hold of Hehe so I can make sense of all of this!

Where is HE?

This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2020, 02:31 PM   #3293

Twitter legit again
Old 11-04-2020, 02:54 PM   #3294

Quote:
Trump hasn't done shit to Xi
Aren't you in Hong Kong, SkinnyPupp? So wouldn't you know better than a lot of other people how US under Trump is pushing all of China's buttons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
Uhh no. China is stronger than ever, due in some part to Trump backing it into a corner and acting like a petulant child wrt trade matters.
CB, you need to look a little more into how much China is being backed into that corner, and what the fallout is gonna be when US cuts China off from accessing technology. China has zero capabilities to produce their own advanced semiconductors, and without that access to technology, a lot of things would come to a grinding halt.

There are reasons why Biden is China's preferred choice as the next POTUS.
Old 11-04-2020, 02:56 PM   #3295

Pennsylvania

Georgia also narrowing
Old 11-04-2020, 02:58 PM   #3296

Quote:
Aren't you in Hong Kong, SkinnyPupp? So wouldn't you know better than a lot of other people how US under Trump is pushing all of China's buttons?

CB, you need to look a little more into how much China is being backed into that corner, and what the fallout is gonna be when US cuts China off from accessing technology. China has zero capabilities to produce their own advanced semiconductors, and without that access to technology, a lot of things would come to a grinding halt.

There are reasons why Biden is China's preferred choice as the next POTUS.
The sanctions, etc, made have been bipartisan, nothing to do with Trump other than him signing the bills created by both Dems and Reps

Trump has been pretending to be "tough" with his insults and all that, but behind the scenes he has apparently been trying to work deals there, for himself, not for the US, and if anything we might discover some pretty serious corruption in the coming years.
This post thanked by:
Old 11-04-2020, 03:07 PM   #3297
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,872 Times in 5,633 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Nevermind the fact the USA politically turned a blind eye to China's overt threats to Taiwan and has continued to cave in on no not referring to Taiwan as its own country.

https://www.state.gov/u-s-relations-with-taiwan/

In addition, Trump loves Putin and Russia + China support each other, and they both play nice with North Korea.

So yah, making Americans pay more for products hasn't done much if anything to hurt Xi. The only tangible thing I can see that hurt China is banning Huawei.

There's a reason China + Russia wanted Trump to win............................
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 03:14 PM   #3298

Quote:
The sanctions, etc, made have been bipartisan, nothing to do with Trump other than him signing the bills created by both Dems and Reps
I'd make it a point that support for the sanctions have been bipartisan, but coming up with the sanctions in the first place -- is that bipartisan too?

Biden has made it abundantly clear during the campaign that he will approach the China issue by holding China to follow "international rules" with international partners. But just since when has the international community been able to hold China to follow international rules? Obama's idea of holding China accountable to "international rules" was TPP, and we can all see how effective that has been. With Biden being part of Obama's administration, and in fact, much of Biden's advisors on China were recycled staff from Obama's team, how different and effective would you expect Biden's China policy is going to be?
Old 11-04-2020, 03:15 PM   #3299

"Stand By" no longer, Trump supporters are being spammed with misinformation

Old 11-04-2020, 03:16 PM   #3300

Quote:
I'd make it a point that support for the sanctions have been bipartisan, but coming up with the sanctions in the first place -- is that bipartisan too?

Biden has made it abundantly clear during the campaign that he will approach the China issue by holding China to follow "international rules" with international partners. But just since when has the international community been able to hold China to follow international rules? Obama's idea of holding China accountable to "international rules" was TPP, and we can all see how effective that has been. With Biden being part of Obama's administration, and in fact, much of Biden's advisors on China were recycled staff from Obama's team, how different and effective would you expect Biden's China policy is going to be?
Yes, they were bipartisan from the beginning.

Biden will go along with the international leaders around the world... Whether you agree with that is up to you. Trump was just pretending to be this hard ass, but everyone was just taking advantage of him.
This post thanked by: