REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-12-2018, 10:08 AM   #451
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,100 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
it's not like the guy got arrested, he was asked to step down because he was hurting the business. also the guy has been involved in lots of political controversy, so he's not exactly the kind of guy you want running your public business.
Advertisement
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:09 AM   #452
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
I work for the largest financial firm in Canada, to even think about using a racist noun such as nigger, chink, wetback, you name it, on a conference call would be absolute blasphemy within my company. I would be gone the next day, and I would expect as much.
Maybe you should resign as well now
Context is everything
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-12-2018, 10:14 AM   #453
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,870 Times in 5,631 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
I have no idea how someone running an entire pizza company could possibly think there's a place for this in a meeting. Any moron off the street can tell you that it's a poor decision let alone a guy running an entire company! I can't think of a legitimate reason for a white man to say this word in any context, it's particularly abrasive when a white CEO with numerous black employees says it.

This isn't even SJW bullshit or drama, it's just common fucking sense in a modern era.

Also, as unit says, last straw for this dude after he lost them their lucrative NFL contract too... buddy's luck / business sense ran out.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:23 AM   #454
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,472 Times in 2,028 Posts
Failed 173 Times in 83 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
what does a pizza joint ex-CEO have to do with Trump again?
Manic! can turn a discussion about window blinds into race & Trump.

Last edited by GS8; 07-12-2018 at 10:38 AM.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-12-2018, 10:45 AM   #455

Thanked 2,617 Times in 900 Posts
Failed 496 Times in 162 Posts
Perhaps because it was a company he founded and chaired, he thought he could still run it as he saw fit. Once his business became publically traded, he had shareholders to answer to and a public image to maintain for that company. If he hadn't of taken it public, he could have used any language he wished as long as it wasn't intended to disparage a particular person or group of people.

As I said, he may well be a racist and there could be numerous examples of it, but that is not what he did here. He stated a fact. Either the company does not understand context (perhaps for shareholders this would be worrying to be invested in a company that doesn't understand such basic concepts), or they are concerned that a good portion of the public will not understand context and hurt sales. On its own, at a rational business, in a rational society, this shouldn't have been an issue.

Last edited by Bouncing Bettys; 07-12-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Bouncing Bettys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #456
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Papa John's, NFL end sponsorship deal

Quote:
It was nearly four months ago that Papa John's founder John Schnatter, then also the CEO, said players who staged protests during the national anthem hurt business. The company pulled the NFL shield off its commercials during game broadcasts and took the shield off its pizza boxes.

"We are disappointed the NFL and its leadership did not resolve this," Schnatter said at the time.

Twelve days later, after the company's stock had dropped 12 percent, Schnatter apologized for his comments.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:15 PM   #457
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,190 Times in 8,386 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
He paraphrased colonel Sanders. That was the context..
LOL my fucking god... You are absolutely 100% a troll. If you weren't before, you are now.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:39 PM   #458
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,356 Times in 1,271 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
Why can't racists just stick to being racists behind closed doors with their other racist friends. It's scary how dumb some people in high positions are.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-12-2018, 05:48 PM   #459

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
But no of course he's not a racist, it was just taken out of context!
People have lost their jobs for using the kinds of terms you did in this post, in the same way you did. Anyone could take that post out of context and try to cause upset at the use of those terms, even if the intent was to state a fact with no racist intentions.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 06:56 PM   #460
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,846 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
to bring it up in a business meeting, I agree it looks bad, regardless of your skin colour

when kanye's gold digger comes on at a work party, go ahead and sing along
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 07:08 PM   #461

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
Why can't racists just stick to being racists behind closed doors with their other racist friends. It's scary how dumb some people in high positions are.
Well they did vote for Trump.

The phone call was with a media relations company. They where role playing on how to deal with media questions that involve racism. The owner on the other end of the phone was so shocked by the commit he terminated his contract with Papa Johns. He later had to fire 10% of his work force.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:27 PM   #462

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
LOL my fucking god... You are absolutely 100% a troll. If you weren't before, you are now.
it must be nice living in a two dimensional world. Where anyone who disagrees with you is a "troll" or "idiot". Where you're under no obligation to even explain such accusations.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...bes/775356002/
Quote:
Schnatter was asked on the May call how he would distance himself from racist groups online. That topic came up because the company's sales slowed after Schnatter's statements in 2017 about NFL players protesting racial injustice during the national anthem.

"Colonel Sanders called blacks n-----s," he allegedly said, adding that Sanders never faced backlash.
-Norm Franz
Old 07-12-2018, 10:55 PM   #463
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 91 Posts
Modern society is inudated with the n word. From popular music, to movies, to comedy, it's used everywhere. I don't use the word, but I can see how some folks can let their guard down. It's just now with social media, you can get filleted for saying such things .
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:53 PM   #464
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,190 Times in 8,386 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
it must be nice living in a two dimensional world. Where anyone who disagrees with you is a "troll" or "idiot". Where you're under no obligation to even explain such accusations.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...bes/775356002/
Unless he said "which I think is appalling" after "he never faced backlash" he said the wrong fucking thing and you ARE an "idiot" for thinking it's OK to say what he said in that context while keeping his job. Or more likely, you're a troll.

Also in the context of a conference call, how hard would it have been to just refer to the word, like "the N word" rather than saying the actual fucking word

I don't know if he's a racist or not (most indications point to him being one, or at least being intolerant), but he is a true moron.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 12:15 AM   #465
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,846 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
Modern society is inudated with the n word. From popular music, to movies, to comedy, it's used everywhere. I don't use the word, but I can see how some folks can let their guard down. It's just now with social media, you can get filleted for saying such things .
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:17 AM   #466

If your not black don't use it plain and simple.

Old 07-13-2018, 02:08 AM   #467
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,565 Times in 4,934 Posts
Failed 316 Times in 202 Posts
I was at the general store in Bradner a few years ago. Okay, a long time ago........ lady comes in and says, "I'm looking for "Nigger Babies." I was like WTF? I looked at the box she was directed to and sure enough, the box contained liquorice gummies shaped like what looked like, babies. Maybe even pigmies? I wasn't going to look at them close up, as I hate liquorice. I said, "What did you call them?" She said again, "Nigger Babies. That's what we call them."

Man, if she had said that nowadays, she would be slapped up the side of the head. The proper term on RS would be "Liquor Babies." Right, Glow? Gulolol.......... I mean, Gulolow.
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 07-13-2018 at 03:51 AM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:40 AM   #468

Quote:
I think we've reached the point of SJW ridiculousness where someone saying "Don't ever say the word 'nigger'" is considered more offensive than someone saying "I greatly dislike black people, I am not fond of African Americans"
Old 07-13-2018, 07:20 AM   #469
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,100 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
i mean how hard is it to just not say the word? are some people just constantly tempted to use it and have to resist it with every ounce of their being?
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:36 AM   #470

The word and all its derivatives are widely used in mainstream art forms like music, movies and television. Art imitates life and life imitates art. To single out certain groups based on skin colour for using language while giving a pass to others, is racist. Either it is all ok or none of it is. And if none of it is ok, where does it end? Who decides? How far are we willing to police language?
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-13-2018, 08:27 AM   #471
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,870 Times in 5,631 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
^ You're obviously not black, I've never read such privileged nonsense reasoning in my entire life...

There's a very good reason it's ok for black people to call each other by that word, it's ingrained into their culture and a way of identifying with each other over hardships they have faced as slaves and continue to face nowadays in the form of unfair persecution and labeling... which you haven't had to do ever in your life nor has anyone in your family is my guess... they earned that right within their own community. Maybe it will come to pass when they don't need it anymore, some of them choose not to use it anymore themselves, but who the fuck are you to take that choice away from them?

It's got nothing to do with you, so just don't say it and go on with your life. It's really not hard, there's no word police, it's not rocket science... just don't fucking say it if you're not black. How simple is that? Literally black and white. How ironic.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-13-2018, 08:34 AM   #472

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Unless he said "which I think is appalling" after "he never faced backlash" he said the wrong fucking thing and you ARE an "idiot" for thinking it's OK to say what he said in that context while keeping his job. Or more likely, you're a troll.

Also in the context of a conference call, how hard would it have been to just refer to the word, like "the N word" rather than saying the actual fucking word

I don't know if he's a racist or not (most indications point to him being one, or at least being intolerant), but he is a true moron.
If you look back, I never actually gave an opinion on this.
You just assumed mine. Like many here.

My opinion is yes, it was a stupid thing to say. Especially during a conference call discussing racism.
Do I think he's racist? I have no idea.

The thing that bothers me is most of the media covering this aren't being honest and showing that he did not actually call any black people the n word himself. They intentionally leave that out and just say "he used the n word", without explaining any context. And naturally, the sheeple (sorry, I hate that word too) just assume he used it directly.

They're supposed to be reporting stories with as much detail and impartiality as possible. Not manufacturing consent.
-Norm Franz
Old 07-13-2018, 11:25 AM   #473
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,356 Times in 1,271 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
I don't know why it would remotely bother anyone that black people get to use the word and white people don't. It was a racist term that they decided to take for themselves, if that bothers you then I'm almost inclined to think you're racist yourself.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-13-2018, 11:35 AM   #474

Papa John’s pulling founder John Schnatter from marketing amid fallout over racial slur.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busi...-amid-fallout/

Old 07-13-2018, 12:59 PM   #475

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
If your not black don't use it plain and simple.
He chose to call her up to sing a song he recorded which contains the word. If he doesn't want a non-black person to say it, then he shouldn't be doing that. He set her up as a publicity stunt, plain and simple.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: