REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-06-2024, 11:56 AM   #6326
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,745 Times in 1,103 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
my gf wears masks a lot in public because she has an incredibly sensitive nose. perfumes, gasoline, any chemical smells. last week someone a few pumps over came up to her to harass her about wearing a mask when covid is over lol. dafuq is wrong w/ ppl, mind your own damn business. prob the same kinda person who thinks bonnie henry should be locked up.
Advertisement
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2024, 11:58 AM   #6327
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,832 Times in 5,900 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Uhh.. surgical masks don’t mask smells?

N95’s don’t even.
Old 08-06-2024, 12:08 PM   #6328
SFICC-03*

uhh they absolutely do.
she works as a care aid and has to deal with piss and shit all the time. you try telling her they don't help.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2024, 12:10 PM   #6329
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,646 Times in 1,145 Posts
Failed 56 Times in 22 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
There isn’t any trans wookie. Was just using that as an example that corporate diversity is not the same thing as these feigned attempts at being woke.
So you admit to inventing something out of thin air to criticise a company's "wokeness"? Like how someone invented a story of JD Vance fucking couches in college to illustrate how weird of a guy he is?

It seems to me that your definition of "woke" is whatever you don't like. Merriam Webster defines woke as "aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)".

As an entertainment company how does Disney draw attention to racial and social justice than via the products they produce? How is that different than how Apple draws attention to racial and social justice via the products they produce? Is the Product(RED) Apple Watch they sell (and I own) not an act of wokeness in that it brings attention to AIDS (to the tune of 250m of donations to the cause).
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-06-2024, 12:20 PM   #6330

Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
uhh they absolutely do.
she works as a care aid and has to deal with piss and shit all the time. you try telling her they don't help.
https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/EPO...tors-FAQs.aspx

According to the state of California, even N95’s are not fine enough to prevent smells.

Which is why fitted respirators have separate organic cartridges.

But what do they know hehe

I did fit testing for asbestos abatement before, there is almost nothing over the counter that prevents it. A sock over your mouth would do about the same, but then again you’re wearing a mask everywhere you go then.
Old 08-06-2024, 12:29 PM   #6331
SFICC-03*

according to this peer reviewed scientific study, all types of masks reduce odor sensitivity

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10022507/
Old 08-06-2024, 12:31 PM   #6332

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
So you admit to inventing something out of thin air to criticise a company's "wokeness"? Like how someone invented a story of JD Vance fucking couches in college to illustrate how weird of a guy he is?

It seems to me that your definition of "woke" is whatever you don't like. Merriam Webster defines woke as "aware of and actively attentive to important societal facts and issues (especially issues of racial and social justice)".

As an entertainment company how does Disney draw attention to racial and social justice than via the products they produce? How is that different than how Apple draws attention to racial and social justice via the products they produce? Is the Product(RED) Apple Watch they sell (and I own) not an act of wokeness in that it brings attention to AIDS (to the tune of 250m of donations to the cause).
Watch the acolyte if you can bear it, you’ll see.

also using Disney and Apple as some sort of bastion of social justice and equality is absolutely absurd, no matter how you want to phrase it lol.
Old 08-06-2024, 12:40 PM   #6333
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,191 Times in 1,973 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
Apples woke? Lol

I love this argument.. this is the liberal mindset

Disney - sack of shit company!! Slave labour! China Supporters! Stealing IP! Only for the rich!! Terrible ethics!!

Somone questions their “wokeness”

Fucking biggot! POS! Don’t talk about Disney like that!

It’s bordering on insane tbh..
Apple is hella woke
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 12:45 PM   #6334
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,191 Times in 1,973 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Woke is when a director/writer/showrunner takes an existing book with existing characters, then decides to change a character's gender/sexuality from the original story to something else that doesn't fit into the story's narrative.

This happens a lot lately, and I can get why it pisses people off, it comes off as pandering, an attempt to fit in a narrative as opposed to making the story better.

That's the kind of stuff that pisses people off. If you make the story better, sure have it up, but most of the time it makes the story worse, or makes less sense, which is the problem.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 12:49 PM   #6335

Quote:
Watch the acolyte if you can bear it, you’ll see.

also using Disney and Apple as some sort of bastion of social justice and equality is absolutely absurd, no matter how you want to phrase it lol.
The Acolyte was terrible but it had nothing to do with it being a woke show. It wouldn't have mattered if you replaced everyone on the show with straight white men or not. The storyline was shit. It was also shit in Boba Fett and it was shit in Obi-Wan Kenobi and it was shit in Rise of Skywalker.

And I never said that Disney or Apple are bastions of social justice and equality - I'm saying that they're not materially different in their interest and participation in it. It''s either both are "woke" or both are not. You're just making up a definition of "woke" to suit your opinion because one of them ruined a show you used to love and you want to blame something or someone for it.

Edit: If Disney is woke then so is Apple - there's few company as "with it" when it comes to "woke" than Apple. Tech went nuts during COVID around "woke-ness". Disney's "woke-ness" is just far more visible than Apple's (I think both companies are "woke" by the dictionary definition - their CEOs speak out about, they orient behaviours around it, the work products show up in those ways).

Last edited by supafamous; 08-06-2024 at 01:08 PM.
supafamous is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2024, 01:24 PM   #6336

Look at how woke this VP candidate is. Standing in front of some faggy symbol that's a combination of the male and female sex symbols.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2024, 02:20 PM   #6337
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 24,196 Times in 8,390 Posts
Failed 1,531 Times in 679 Posts
I watched The Acolyte, thought it sucked, but it never occurred to me that there was an issue with "wokeness". Is it the lesbian witch tribe people are mad about?

I see where Mike is coming from with replacing characters and all that, but also like.. who cares? So there's black hobbits now. Why can't there be black hobbits? The only reason there wasn't originally is because Tolkien was a racist cunt. He had black orcs but not hobbits

Cassian Andor is a hispanic dude.. So? Diego Luna was really good in the role

Last Of Us had a gay couple storyline, and someone here had a meltdown over it.. I saw the episode and it was an amazing love story. What's wrong with having a gay love story instead of straight? If you're actually "neutral" you wouldn't care, because gay people exist too, and they have love stories. It's not like there were raunchy sex scenes to make you uncomfortable

What are the really egregious replacements of straight white men that actually made the story worse?
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2024, 02:48 PM   #6338

I don’t think anyone is angry with any of this lol.. it definitely makes me roll my eyes occasionally but my entire point is, when a Disney, Amazon, etc. tries to do this, I question their motives and their sincerity in their actions.

Does a black Hobbit make a black person feel like they are represented? Lol I’m honestly asking this

In terms of Disney, I’d take any bet that in the next decade, and likely in our lifetime, you will -never- see a gender diverse character actually on site in any of the Disney parks. Simply due to the fact they are not willing to go there and it’s not a hill they even want to venture into. It’s one thing to place characters in paid streaming services where they are essentially out of the reach of criticism. It’s something else entirely to physically place this representation inside one of their parks where it’s tangible to paying guests.

For that reason alone, they are not sincere in their “wokeness” or whatever you want to call it, they are simply bowing to societal pressures to be inclusive, when most of the time, it’s at a detriment to their bottom line. But when you’re already a willing, paying, customer to Disney+, they don’t really care. It’s a safe space for them to venture into this and say “look, we aren’t so bad!!”

Edit* and yes I understand, before anyone goes there, I get they have humanoid rats and ducks running around all day long already.

Last edited by Hondaracer; 08-06-2024 at 02:56 PM.
Hondaracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 03:03 PM   #6339

Can't speak for anyone, but considering WHY there were no black hobbits or elves, I can see why they wanted to include them.

For me it's either neutral or a good thing; I can't think of anything negative about it. It's not like they are rewriting Tolkien's books, they're just adding to them with content that is more appropriate with the 2020's instead of the 1930's .

If you enjoy the racist allegories, those 1930's books are still there for you. And for historical value, they will always be there. The text is not being changed.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2024, 03:22 PM   #6340
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Does a black Hobbit make a black person feel like they are represented? Lol I’m honestly asking this
It sounds a bit strange to white dudes but for kids I think it makes a big difference. I mean I'm super white and my kid got excited to see a character with straight brown hair like hers lol so I can imagine it's an even bigger deal for other kids who don't see someone "like me" on the screen very often.

Some of it is inevitably going to end up being excessive or forced, but for the most part to me it just seems more like restoring things to a more normal representation of the actual population than forced inclusiveness. Having nothing but white people everywhere feels far more forced to me than normal diversity. What's weirder when you've got some fantasy setting with all kinds of different species, a random assortment of humans like you'd see in most cities, or somehow every single human being the most generic white person imaginable?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2024, 03:38 PM   #6341

Quote:
Black Ariel sure made black girls feel represented and seeing Simu Liu as a lead actor felt good to me after growing up watching Asian dudes play the wimpy back-up. Lest we ignore the impact of Black Panther on the African American community.

Remember when Stephen Yuen fucked a white girl in Walking Dead? That was the first time an Asian dude got it on with a white girl on TV (John Cho missed out on a threesome though in Harold and Kumar go to White Castle). You don't think a bunch of Asian dudes didn't pop off their couches and yell, "I wanna do that too!"
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2024, 04:05 PM   #6342
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,905 Times in 7,395 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Remember under a century ago black actors weren't even allowed to play black characters. It was a white dude in a cartoon like face paint just to make fun of them basically, so yeah honestly black or diverse leads are a big thing for kids. People were fuckin stoked when Hunter Schafer was a huge part of euphoria as a trans person playing a trans character.
That's a good example of not pandering but making diversity in characters an important part of the story.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2024, 04:19 PM   #6343
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 7,576 Times in 2,536 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 126 Posts
Savage

2010 Toyota Rav4 Limited V6 - Wifey's Daily Driver
2009 BMW 128i - Daily Driver
2007 Toyota Rav4 Sport V6 - Sold
1999 Mazda Miata - Sold
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Sold
1987 BMW 325is - Sold
1990 Mazda Miata - Sold

100% Buy and Sell Feedback
sonick is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2024, 04:43 PM   #6344

I was so, SO wrong about replacing Biden. It legit couldn't have been planned better. They would have been doomed!

I was wondering about this Walz guy, so I found this

He also introduced a bill mandating tampons be available for free in schools, so the weirdos have taken to calling him "Tampon Tim"

And how is Donald handling this polling news? Let's check his social media

This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2024, 06:18 PM   #6345

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
No. It was never a thing until self perpetuating victims made it a thing.

As a minority I NEVER once thought “why isn’t there an Asian in friends?” Or whatever.

If I wanted to see Asians I’d just watch some fucking Chinese movie.

People don’t hate seeing minorities in leading roles. They hate how it feels FORCED and just PANDERING.

There were plenty of all black shows as well. Whatever that will smith show was called. Bel air.
It's great you had easy access to Asian media. Not everyone did I didn't.
Seeing Monika Deol host Electric Circus on Much Music was a big deal.

I know Robin Bawa the first south Asian in the NHL. People come up to him all the time and say things like: Your the reason why I started playing hockey or before you did not know our people could do that.

Funny you say there were plenty of black shows and you can't even fully name one. You sound like one of those white guys that claims he has a lot of black friends but can't name any but one cleans his house.

If you don't like woke media watch what ever Gina Carrera or Steven Seagal are making.

FYI: the 2 biggest grossing films of 2024 are made by Disney.

Inside Out 2 $1,557,409,573
Deadpool & Wolverine $852,060,045 and counting.
Old 08-06-2024, 06:22 PM   #6346

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Trump so desperate he's doing tiktok dances with a guy who sniffs farts. He does it alot. That's a cybertruck beside them.

https://www.tiktok.com/@realdonaldtr...80171483499807

Last edited by Manic!; 08-06-2024 at 06:42 PM.
Manic! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 06:40 PM   #6347

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I was so, SO wrong about replacing Biden. It legit couldn't have been planned better. They would have been doomed!
Apparently Nancy Pelosi made it all happened. I think she's actually a Bene Gesserit.

If true she can inside trade all she wants.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-06-2024, 06:51 PM   #6348

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...e/74689241007/

Beyhive and the Swifties are both onboard the Harris/Walz train? 50 state sweep coming.

Quote:
Last year, during the Grammy-winning musician's Renaissance World Tour, Walz welcomed Bey to Minneapolis during her stop at Huntington Bank Stadium on July 20, 2023.

"I might be Governor of Minnesota, but we all know who runs the world. Welcome to Minnesota, Beyoncé!" Walz said at the time.

The governor, along with city Mayor Jacob Frey, decided to declare that date as "Bey Day," dubbing her "one of the most influential artists in the world."
Old 08-06-2024, 08:37 PM   #6349
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,539 Times in 2,640 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
I was wondering about this Walz guy, so I found this

He also introduced a bill mandating tampons be available for free in schools, so the weirdos have taken to calling him "Tampon Tim"
While that list of achievements look impressive, as the VP, I really wouldn't expect too much out of Walz, or any VP for that matter.

The role of the VP is largely defined to be:

1) the spare replacement for POTUS should something happen to him
2) conduct behind-the-scenes work
3) support the President

The job is pretty much set up to be invisible a large majority of the time. The Secretary of State and the House Speaker are far more visible than the VP is, esp in the news cycle.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 09:15 PM   #6350
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,285 Times in 2,055 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
This is what concerns me greatly about JD Vance ... if Trump wins! Well, if Trump won, that would be concerning enough but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
While that list of achievements look impressive, as the VP, I really wouldn't expect too much out of Walz, or any VP for that matter.

The role of the VP is largely defined to be:

1) the spare replacement for POTUS should something happen to him
2) conduct behind-the-scenes work
3) support the President

The job is pretty much set up to be invisible a large majority of the time. The Secretary of State and the House Speaker are far more visible than the VP is, esp in the news cycle.
whitev70r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: