REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-27-2018, 12:12 PM   #701
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,838 Times in 1,218 Posts
Failed 616 Times in 193 Posts
I think whether or not Canada agrees to the terms finalized to the US-MX agreement is irrelevant now.

From the last developments, it seems that Trump doesn't give a rat ass to even WTO if it doesn't fit its agenda as its member countries aren't doing shit on the China aspect.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if US announces that it's dropping out of WTO and starts something else entirely. Rumors already float on the market about a new alliance between US, EU and JP to combat the frustration with WTO regarding China. US has the muscle needed to take EU/JP with it and wtf would WTO be if those countries aren't part of it? It would cease to matter.

The world trade is now in an uncharted territory where US is flexing its muscles to bring us closer to the economics theoretical perfect market (where there are 0 market barrier and each country or player concentrate at what they do best). Quite frankly, I wouldn't want Canada to be on the other side of the fence.
Advertisement
Old 08-27-2018, 06:04 PM   #702
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 41 Times in 24 Posts
https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/27/polit...eal/index.html

Trump has repeatedly indicated he would prefer to reach bilateral agreements with Canada and Mexico, but the two countries have maintained a united front that a trilateral agreement is the only one they will sign. There was no indication on Monday that Mexico had abandoned that position.
Instead, the Mexican President Enrique Peņa-Nieto, who joined Trump in the Oval Office by speakerphone, emphasized three times the importance of Canada joining the burgeoning agreement.
"I desire, I wish that the part with Canada will be materializing in a very concrete fashion, and we can have an agreement the way we proposed it from the initiation of this renegotiating process, a tripartite," Peņa-Nieto said through a translator.
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 06:22 PM   #703
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,870 Times in 5,631 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
So trump had a press conference to announce a deal that doesn’t exist and can’t exist unless NAFTA is abandoned completely. I’ll give him points for showmanship (minus the telephone debacle) and knowing that the average American can’t fuckin tell the difference I guess.

Cue sea lion clapping for fish.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 08:59 PM   #704
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,535 Times in 2,637 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
It's rather pointless for the US to start something new outside of WTO, esp if China is one of the reasons to do so. The proper thing to do would have been to pursue the explusion of China from the WTO. There are already good, strong reasons to do so, and pursuing it would yield far more political and economic ammunition to bring China down to its knees, and bow to the US' / Trump's will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
From the last developments, it seems that Trump doesn't give a rat ass to even WTO if it doesn't fit its agenda as its member countries aren't doing shit on the China aspect.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if US announces that it's dropping out of WTO and starts something else entirely. Rumors already float on the market about a new alliance between US, EU and JP to combat the frustration with WTO regarding China. US has the muscle needed to take EU/JP with it and wtf would WTO be if those countries aren't part of it? It would cease to matter.

The world trade is now in an uncharted territory where US is flexing its muscles to bring us closer to the economics theoretical perfect market (where there are 0 market barrier and each country or player concentrate at what they do best). Quite frankly, I wouldn't want Canada to be on the other side of the fence.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 11:50 PM   #705
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,846 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
McCain was an interesting figure. I didn't like a lot of his policies or actions, but he often seemed to stand up for what he actually believed in. He was often considered far too liberal for the Republicans and often too conservative for the Democrats. I think what stands out most for me about him was when he was running against Obama back in '08 and was having a Townhall Q&A. His supporters were talking about how afraid they were of Obama possibly winning (*snicker*) and he very bluntly mentioned that Obama is a good man and that he would make a good POTUS and so forth. Basically he refused to go the dirt slinging route that many others would have done and he gained a lot of respect from me for that.

I think McCain represented an era of American politics that now seems pretty much dead, where respect was still held for your political opponents and you felt that despite their ideological differences they would still go out for a beer together after the debate.

Either way, RIP.
Sen. McCain is a role model not just in GOP but in the greater political sphere

this is someone who honours war ethics and morals to death if need be

basically refused his own release when the North Vietnamese found out his dad was a Navy admiral...as a result he endured 4 more years of unspeakable torture just so other PoW captured before him can see release

he stood for what he believed in right up to his death in the ninth decade of his life...an absolute trooper
Quote:
Manic! along with the majority in this thread won't be having any of that
and Trudeau rather buy Oz scrap metal to replace our dinosaur warplanes than to deal with corporate America
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:35 AM   #706
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Failed 8 Times in 6 Posts
McCain's war story sounds pretty horrible and couldn't imagine going through it and staying until the people captured before him were released.

From rolling stone
https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...shrub-194272/:

You probably already know what happened. In October of ’67 McCain was himself still a Young Voter and flying his 23rd Vietnam combat mission and his A-4 Skyhawk plane got shot down over Hanoi and he had to eject, which basically means setting off an explosive charge that blows your seat out of the plane, which ejection broke both McCain’s arms and one leg and gave him a concussion and he started falling out of the skies right over Hanoi. Try to imagine for a second how much this would hurt and how scared you’d be, three limbs broken and falling toward the enemy capital you just tried to bomb. His chute opened late and he landed hard in a little lake in a park right in the middle of downtown Hanoi, Imagine treading water with broken arms and trying to pull the life vest’s toggle with your teeth as a crowd of Vietnamese men swim out toward you (there’s film of this, somebody had a home – movie camera, and the N.V. government released it, though it’s grainy and McCain’s face is hard to see). The crowd pulled him out and then just about killed him. U.S. bomber pilots were especially hated, for obvious reasons. McCain got bayoneted in the groin; a soldier broke his shoulder apart with a rifle butt. Plus by this time his right knee was bent 90-degrees to the side with the bone sticking out. Try to imagine this. He finally got tossed on a jeep and taken five blocks to the infamous Hoa Lo prison – a.k.a. the “Hanoi Hilton,” of much movie fame – where they made him beg a week for a doctor and finally set a couple of the fractures without anesthetic and let two other fractures and the groin wound (imagine: groin wound) stay like they were. Then they threw him in a cell. Try for a moment to feel this. All the media profiles talk about how McCain still can’t lift his arms over his head to comb his hair, which is true. But try to imagine it at the time, yourself in his place, because it’s important. Think about how diametrically opposed to your own self-interest getting knifed in the balls and having fractures set without painkiller would be, and then about getting thrown in a cell to just lie there and hurt, which is what happened. He was delirious with pain for weeks, and his weight dropped to 100 pounds, and the other POWs were sure he would die; and then after a few months like that after his bones mostly knitted and he could sort of stand up they brought him in to the prison commandant’s office and offered to let him go. This is true. They said he could just leave. They had found out that McCain’s father was one of the top-ranking naval officers in the U.S. Armed Forces (which is true – both his father and grandfather were admirals), and the North Vietnamese wanted the PR coup of mercifully releasing his son, the baby-killer. McCain, 100 pounds and barely able to stand, refused, The U.S. military’s Code of Conduct for Prisoners of War apparently said that POWs had to be released in the order they were captured, and there were others who’d been in Hoa Lo a long time, and McCain refused to violate the Code. The commandant, not pleased, right there in the office had guards break his ribs, rebreak his arm, knock his teeth out. McCain still refused to leave without the other POWs. And so then he spent four more years in Hoa Lo like this, much of the time in solitary, in the dark, in a closet-sized box called a “punishment cell.” Maybe you’ve heard all this before; it’s been in umpteen different media profiles of McCain. But try to imagine that moment between getting offered early release and turning it down.
Adorkami is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2018, 01:50 AM   #707
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
And according to trump he is not a hero. Thump had the white hose flag raised after a couple of days. Then lowered it to half mast again after some veterans organizations gave him shit.

Honestly I was not a big fan of McCain as a politician. He voted against MLK Day and giving Sarah Palin a platform.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:00 AM   #708

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
And according to trump he is not a hero. Thump had the white hose flag raised after a couple of days. Then lowered it to half mast again after some veterans organizations gave him shit.
A draft dodger claiming that a POW is not a war hero, esp when this POW refused to leverage his family / military ties for an earlier release. I think the draft dodger can fxxking go to hell.

It is disgusting that this draft dodger is also the Commander in Chief now. I know if I were a US soldier in any capacity, I'd be thoroughly disgusted about that.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2018, 10:41 AM   #709
Performance Moderator

McCain definitely had issues... ironically, the biggest hero America has ever known (my opinion) is the result of immigration (hah!) because he's a Japanese guy!!... you guys know the HNL Daniel K. Inouye airport on Oahu? Did you ever look up who he was and what his history is?

You can't invent a bigger American war hero than this guy... it's an incredible read, one of the toughest bastards that ever lived. Picture this man... and then picture Trump in your head... Trump's an absolute embarrassment to humanity in comparison to a guy like Inouye:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel...1%E2%80%931947)
This post thanked by:
Old 08-28-2018, 10:46 AM   #710
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
^Yup was in Hawaii when he passed away, the guy was a legend there. His WWII battle story is freaking amazing. If it was a fictional Hollywood movie it would be dismissed as "unrealistic".

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 11:07 AM   #711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
It's rather pointless for the US to start something new outside of WTO, esp if China is one of the reasons to do so. The proper thing to do would have been to pursue the explusion of China from the WTO. There are already good, strong reasons to do so, and pursuing it would yield far more political and economic ammunition to bring China down to its knees, and bow to the US' / Trump's will.
The problem is that WTO has very little exit clause unless the member chooses to do so.

US, or at least the Trump administration has clearly shown its frustration with WTO when it comes to dealing with China. And EU, at least major members like Germany, England and France are showing some allegiance to US ideologies (you can see how fast Germany reached a framework deal with US on automobile sector).

Hence, I think the rumor of US starting a new alliance between countries with common values is not without ground. Should it really pull the trigger, WTO will have little incentives for major economies like JP, EU or even Australia to stick with WTO if US is indeed pulling out of it.

I'm just worried about Trudeau being too stubborn to stick with the wrong side. Our economy is far too dependent on the US to go against it. It's not about any US supremacy or anything, it's just a realistic view of our economy. I'd love Canada to diversify its dependence on US, but realistically speaking, it's going to be hard, if not impossible, to go the other direction.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:24 PM   #712

I take a different view on the WTO issue. While the US might pull out (under Trump), I am very skeptical that Japan, EU, and Australia / New Zealand will leave as well. EU member countries have started showing signs of caution in their dealings with China, most notably when it comes to Chinese money further buying up their resources and businesses. But the fact remains that much has already been bought up, and businesses (eg. Mercedes) have continued to show a tremendous apetite to woo the Chinese market. Britain, the ever pragmatic country in Europe, will not hesitate engage China if there is money to be made. Brexit will almost certainly strike a heavy financial blow to UK, so I suspect they wouldn't easily reduce their dealings with China if China can continue to serve as a stable source of revenue.

Australia and New Zealand are pretty much two partially annexed oversea Chinese states now. The level of Chinese inflitration / penetration throughout the countries is unreal. In Australia at least, there are factions that are trying to resist the growing Chinese influence, but it is difficult to tell what will happen.

To me, all of that means even if the US leaves the WTO and starts something new, other countries may join the new body without leaving WTO. For all of its rights and wrongs, it isn't Iran, and Trump / US can't threaten to severe all business dealings with a country if that said country continues to engage in business activities with China. So what good does it do for the US if they simply exclude China from trading with them? IMO, they (the US) can leverage the threat of excluding China better than they can actually kicking China out.

Quote:
The problem is that WTO has very little exit clause unless the member chooses to do so.

US, or at least the Trump administration has clearly shown its frustration with WTO when it comes to dealing with China. And EU, at least major members like Germany, England and France are showing some allegiance to US ideologies (you can see how fast Germany reached a framework deal with US on automobile sector).

Hence, I think the rumor of US starting a new alliance between countries with common values is not without ground. Should it really pull the trigger, WTO will have little incentives for major economies like JP, EU or even Australia to stick with WTO if US is indeed pulling out of it.

I'm just worried about Trudeau being too stubborn to stick with the wrong side. Our economy is far too dependent on the US to go against it. It's not about any US supremacy or anything, it's just a realistic view of our economy. I'd love Canada to diversify its dependence on US, but realistically speaking, it's going to be hard, if not impossible, to go the other direction.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:49 PM   #713

And here we go.

https://www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/a...don-t-shape-up
Old 08-30-2018, 04:57 PM   #714

He is just worried about the mid terms from what I have read. He wants a deal before they happen.
Old 08-30-2018, 05:09 PM   #715
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Failed 57 Times in 27 Posts
Didn't agree with a lot of McCain's politics or views, but I think he was a great guy overall and a patriot who put the good of his country above himself. Especially enduring the pain and torture that he did for the sake of upholding the values he thought were important. I think this clip below highlights the kind of person McCain was.

Personally I could never see Trump doing a thing like that...
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-30-2018, 09:29 PM   #716
nah
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 41 Times in 24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Loc View Post
Didn't agree with a lot of McCain's politics or views, but I think he was a great guy overall and a patriot who put the good of his country above himself. Especially enduring the pain and torture that he did for the sake of upholding the values he thought were important. I think this clip below highlights the kind of person McCain was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIjenjANqAk

Personally I could never see Trump doing a thing like that...
Trump would have agreed with her.
nah is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2018, 08:36 AM   #717
Performance Moderator

He's taking a lot of flack for that clip from ultra-lefties for saying "He's not Arab, he's a decent man" which they say implies arabs aren't decent men/people.......... smh, can't say anything in public anymore without someone trying to construe it.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2018, 08:56 AM   #718
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,674 Times in 1,343 Posts
Failed 140 Times in 79 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
He's taking a lot of flack for that clip from ultra-lefties for saying "He's not Arab, he's a decent man" which they say implies arabs aren't decent men/people.......... smh, can't say anything in public anymore without someone trying to construe it.
Also from ultra-AzN priders (is that still a thing?) who admonish him for referring to his captors as "gooks" but overlook the fact that he was instrumental in re-establishing ties with Vietnam in the 90s.

btw what happened to the :crazy: emoji?

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 09:11 AM   #719

Well... aren't we off to yet another excellent start on NAFTA talks today?

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/2...th-canada.html

Quote:
WASHINGTON—High-stakes trade negotiations between Canada and the U.S. were dramatically upended on Friday morning by inflammatory secret remarks from President Donald Trump, after the remarks were obtained by the Toronto Star.

In remarks Trump wanted to be “off the record,” Trump told Bloomberg News reporters on Thursday, according to a source, that he is not making any compromises at all in the talks with Canada — but that he cannot say this publicly because “it’s going to be so insulting they’re not going to be able to make a deal.”

“Here’s the problem. If I say no — the answer’s no. If I say no, then you’re going to put that, and it’s going to be so insulting they’re not going to be able to make a deal ... I can’t kill these people,” he said of the Canadian government.

In another remark he did not want published, Trump said, according to the source, that the possible deal with Canada would be “totally on our terms.” He suggested he was scaring the Canadians into submission by repeatedly threatening to impose tariffs.

“Off the record, Canada’s working their ass off. And every time we have a problem with a point, I just put up a picture of a Chevrolet Impala,” Trump said, according to the source. The Impala is produced at the General Motors plant in Oshawa, Ontario.

Trump made the remarks in an Oval Office interview with Bloomberg. He deemed them off the record, and Bloomberg accepted his request not to reveal them.

But the Star is not bound by any promises Bloomberg made to Trump. And the remarks immediately became a factor in the negotiations: Trudeau’s officials, who saw them as evidence for their previous suspicions that Trump’s team had not been bargaining in good faith, raised them at the beginning of a meeting with their U.S. counterparts on Friday morning, a U.S. source confirmed.
Fuck you, Trump. That is all I have to say. FUCK YOU!
Old 08-31-2018, 10:47 AM   #720
Performance Moderator

I like how he's proud of the Impala
Old 08-31-2018, 10:59 AM   #721

IMO the Impala is decent ammunition for Trump because it is mostly a fleet special, so normal (US) people won't be buying it, and thus wouldn't really be affected much even if it were to get slapped wiht hefty tariffs. On the other hand, the non-sale of Impala would likely cause production to be halted, and that would deal a heavy blow to those at the GM factory in Oshawa.

But really, when one party is entering the negotiations in bad faith, what point is there in continuing to talk?
Old 08-31-2018, 11:24 AM   #722

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
maybe instead of virtue signalling after g7, trudeau should have kept his yap shut and tried to work out a deal.
oh well, his popularity spiked for like 2 days so it was well worth it.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2018, 11:49 AM   #723

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
maybe instead of virtue signalling after g7, trudeau should have kept his yap shut and tried to work out a deal.
oh well, his popularity spiked for like 2 days so it was well worth it.
Maybe trump should not be so sensitive.
Old 08-31-2018, 12:00 PM   #724

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Maybe trump should not be so sensitive.
maybe we'll just watch our economy tank.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:29 PM   #725

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
maybe we'll just watch our economy tank.
He's acting like a baby. I think he needs a safe zone where his feeling won't get hurt.

And watch what happens next time they need our help.