REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-04-2018, 12:25 PM   #751
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,100 Posts
Failed 152 Times in 75 Posts
"If elected, Mr. Trump, I can state unequivocally, will be the healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency."

-Donald Trump

-Trump's doctor
Advertisement
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:30 PM   #752
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,769 Times in 1,340 Posts
Failed 82 Times in 41 Posts
I don't know if it's been mentioned but if not it should be said. There are huge cause and effect implications on tariffs no matter which way they go, US or Canadian side. Take steel for instance, if the US puts a 25% tariff on steel and 10% on aluminum (which it did) you would think oh that sucks for steel manufacturers in Canada. Well yes and no, it does but it also has a relationship to every industry in Canada that uses steel.

The way they look at it is if I was selling steel to the US for $100 and I was selling that same steel to Canadians also for $100 and now due to tariffs that same steel is sold to the US for $125, why should I sell it to Canadians for $100? They up the cost on this side and now it's $125 for all. It has an impact on everything including construction, remember the majority of condos are steel framed. You know what the average margins for profit are for a steel framing company on a highrise? Somewhere around 3-6%, now that's labour and material but material typically accounts for about 45% and the steel is easily half that. Do the math, if you have towers coming up where you already have a contract good luck trying to recoup those tariffs. It can be done but it's difficult. I'm sure our owner would probably think differently but if I had contracts on pending towers that haven't started yet and they didn't issue me a change order to recoup the tariffs before we got on site I'd walk away and tell the general or developer to sue me.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 01:51 PM   #753
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,567 Times in 3,554 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
I find it hilarious all these corny ass white people burn the one pair of Nike's they own. Country singers big and rich where so upset they got there sound man to rip up his nike socks. I wonder if they paid him 10 bux for the socks.

Old 09-04-2018, 01:58 PM   #754
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,128 Times in 1,288 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts

just came across my youtube feed
what have we become

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:05 PM   #755

Thanked 4,128 Times in 1,288 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quasi View Post
I don't know if it's been mentioned but if not it should be said. There are huge cause and effect implications on tariffs no matter which way they go, US or Canadian side. Take steel for instance, if the US puts a 25% tariff on steel and 10% on aluminum (which it did) you would think oh that sucks for steel manufacturers in Canada. Well yes and no, it does but it also has a relationship to every industry in Canada that uses steel.

The way they look at it is if I was selling steel to the US for $100 and I was selling that same steel to Canadians also for $100 and now due to tariffs that same steel is sold to the US for $125, why should I sell it to Canadians for $100? They up the cost on this side and now it's $125 for all. It has an impact on everything including construction, remember the majority of condos are steel framed. You know what the average margins for profit are for a steel framing company on a highrise? Somewhere around 3-6%, now that's labour and material but material typically accounts for about 45% and the steel is easily half that. Do the math, if you have towers coming up where you already have a contract good luck trying to recoup those tariffs. It can be done but it's difficult. I'm sure our owner would probably think differently but if I had contracts on pending towers that haven't started yet and they didn't issue me a change order to recoup the tariffs before we got on site I'd walk away and tell the general or developer to sue me.
You'd be surprised, a lot of overseas steel makers are dumping their steel here as Canada has no additional tariffs. Remember, finished steel goods do not have tariffs going into the states so Canadian manufacturers are happy as it can be if you're using products available from overseas. Unfortunately, a lot of steel is stocked in Chicago and if you can't wait a month, that 25% applies.

TBH, those steel rebars... all chinar. Now Morneau wants to put a tariff for overseas steel imports too, that would fuck up canada big time. I would gladly buy canada but canada has basically no steel mills.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2018, 03:46 PM   #756
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
Huh i guess this kaepernick thing is a bit of a deal.
#Nikeboycott was trending on Twitter today and Nike shares fell 3.2% (about $4b). Crazy
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 04:51 PM   #757

Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
Huh i guess this kaepernick thing is a bit of a deal.
#Nikeboycott was trending on Twitter today and Nike shares fell 3.2% (about $4b). Crazy
Have you checked the price o. Nordstrom shares lately?

Open 63.37
High 65.06
Low 63.30
Mkt cap 10.88B
P/E ratio 19.85
Div yield 2.28%
Prev close 62.85
52-wk high 65.06
52-wk low 37.79

https://www.google.com/search?q=NYSE...0PEP0--PsAI1:0

Last edited by Manic!; 09-04-2018 at 05:00 PM.
Manic! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:47 AM   #758
SFICC-03*

stocks rise and fall on the back of news all the time, it's meaningless because people will still continue to buy nike no matter what. a few hardline rednecks who ban it forever will not be meaningful, they wear the same walmart shoes they've had for 12 years anyway.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:24 AM   #759

^^yea i guess we'll see.
nfl ratings never really recovered.
marvel comics. the oscars. seems like everything that goes sjw is taking a hit. almost like people are tired of everything being politicized.
-Norm Franz
Old 09-05-2018, 12:07 PM   #760

Quote:
^^yea i guess we'll see.
nfl ratings never really recovered.
marvel comics. the oscars. seems like everything that goes sjw is taking a hit. almost like people are tired of everything being politicized.
How is Ivankas clothing line doing

Nike just released this ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Fq2CvmgoO7I

Also Nike is a massive international brand unlike the NFL or the Oscars.
Old 09-05-2018, 12:29 PM   #761
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,609 Times in 1,756 Posts
Failed 693 Times in 217 Posts
-insightful New York Times article by anonymous senior White House official. The "steady state" which thwarts Trump's decisions that are deemed detrimental to the United States.

It's a great read.

-from the article: The official says "the root of the problem is the President's amorality" and paints a damning picture of Trump's "reckless decisions," "erratic behavior" and his "impetuous, adversarial, petty and ineffective" leadership style.

Dotard is gonna be really angry now.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/05/o...esistance.html

Last edited by pastarocket; 09-05-2018 at 12:34 PM.
pastarocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2018, 03:42 PM   #762

^^not for nothing but i really can't put much stock into stories that come from "anonymous sources".
makes it almost impossible to confirm any accuracy
-Norm Franz
Old 09-05-2018, 04:02 PM   #763

Quote:
^^not for nothing but i really can't put much stock into stories that come from "anonymous sources".
makes it almost impossible to confirm any accuracy
Even if the source wasn't anonymous you still wouldn't believe them.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:04 PM   #764
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,846 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
we're closing in on the last quarter of 2018 and we are actually getting further away from signing NAFTA it seems

the latest kerfuffle is over Canadian media? seriously who the fuck actually cares about radio/TV when there's Spotify and Netflix?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ta-frontburner

lol at maintaining identity...something straight out of Quebec's playbook

keep it up...this will really cost them a year from now at the voting stations
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2018, 04:12 PM   #765
SFICC-03*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
How is Ivankas clothing line doing

Nike just released this ad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Fq2CvmgoO7I

Also Nike is a massive international brand unlike the NFL or the Oscars.
its funny how racists can't see the hypocrisy when they attack this ad by bringing up nike's history of bad labor practices. suddenly these people are ethical, conscious consumers, who care about the well-being of workers in 'shithole' countries.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2018, 04:19 PM   #766
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Failed 106 Times in 40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
-insightful New York Times article by anonymous senior White House official. The "steady state" which thwarts Trump's decisions that are deemed detrimental to the United States.

It's a great read.

-from the article: The official says "the root of the problem is the President's amorality" and paints a damning picture of Trump's "reckless decisions," "erratic behavior" and his "impetuous, adversarial, petty and ineffective" leadership style.

#CrazyTown
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 11:05 PM   #767

The inane children act accordingly

Lindsay Graham: facts

-Norm Franz
Old 09-06-2018, 12:10 AM   #768

This is the guy trump supporters get there news from.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:52 AM   #769
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,870 Times in 5,631 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
It's hard to watch that video, they're both slimeballs... edge to Alex Jones for being crazier and the bigger of the two slimeballs though.

Both their mothers should have pro-choiced.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:02 PM   #770

Thanked 5,183 Times in 1,968 Posts
Failed 265 Times in 101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
its funny how racists can't see the hypocrisy when they attack this ad by bringing up nike's history of bad labor practices. suddenly these people are ethical, conscious consumers, who care about the well-being of workers in 'shithole' countries.
Does this surprise you? These people are hypocrites, they could give a shit about Nike's "sweatshops". These people weren't mentioning sweatshops until Nike decided to stand beside civil rights.

Fuck these people, and I mean this in all seriousness.

I'm glad we're seeing how alive and well white supremacy still is, a lot of people are showing their true faces here. It saddens me, but I'm also glad that it's now out in the open, as its been there all along, as we have always said.
mikemhg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-06-2018, 12:57 PM   #771

A Car audio company is now moving more of it's manufacturing to China because the trumps tariffs are on the parts that make a sub woofer but not a completed sub woofer. So instead of buying the parts in China and assembling in the USA they are going to have everything done in China.

Quote:
Sundown Audio
8 hrs ·

I am sure most of you have followed enough of the news to be aware of the "trade war" that is going on right now.

The first two tariff lists have had basically no effect on the car audio industry. The third list that is being discussed will have a HUGE impact on our industry.

The third list contains a 25% Tariff on Amplifiers, Power Cables, Aluminum Frames, Woofer Motors, Paper Cones, and some other small parts (gaskets and such).

That being said... this list does *not* include completed sub-woofers so could possibly have the (I assume) unintended consequence of forcing us to push X v.2 and Z v.5 assembly back to China vs. building them here... and to put off bringing U series production in-house. And also putting a 25% price increase on the NS v.4 and TEAM series that we cannot have fully assembled in China.

The way I understand it... it will not effect our Korean amplifiers but will lead to either a 25% price increase or necessitate completely discontinuing our SAE amplifier line.

I suppose we can hope for the best and that this will not pass... but with the first two tariff lists going in to place already I believe that these too will also pass.

Remember... this is NOT a tariff *on China* -- this is a tariff directly on us (American companies that import) that will have to be passed on to consumers. In the end the consumer is paying these tariffs.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:26 PM   #772
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,535 Times in 2,637 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
I can't be the only person enjoying the fallout from this developing incident so far, right? On top of Dotard becoming furious and making *moar* stupid remarks, it is also extremely amusing to see the Trumpy rank and file rush out to deny they were the person behind the op-ed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post

It's a great read.

Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:46 PM   #773
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,870 Times in 5,631 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
I really can't understand where the morons calling out Kap and others like him can't differentiate things in their minds... nobody is kneeling to disrespect the military or the flag... pretty damn simple it's always been about police brutality and police brutality alone.

Not capable of having 2 thoughts in their pea brains at the same time? I guess it's hard sometimes... comes down to the failure of the USA's education system again.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-06-2018, 05:05 PM   #774

Alex Jones has been perma banned from Twitter.

Quote:
Twitter bans Alex Jones and InfoWars
By Donie O'Sullivan
Updated 4 hours ago Sep 6, 2018
New York (CNNMoney) - Twitter banned far-right conspiracy theorist Alex Jones and his website InfoWars from its platform Thursday afternoon, a month after several of its Silicon Valley counterparts did so.
Jones was suspended from Twitter for one week last month after he posted a video in which he said, "Now is time to act on the enemy before they do a false flag." But Twitter did not ban him from its platform then, even after YouTube, Apple and Facebook each kicked him off.
In a series of tweets from its @TwitterSafety account, Twitter said, "Today, we permanently suspended @realalexjones and @infowars from Twitter and Periscope. We took this action based on new reports of Tweets and videos posted yesterday that violate our abusive behavior policy, in addition to the accounts' previous violations."
Twitter also said that it "will take action" if in the future it discovers other accounts being used to get around the ban of Jones and InfoWars.
The company made its decision a day after Jones accosted a CNN reporter, Oliver Darcy, on Capitol Hill, and livestreamed the encounter through Periscope, which Twitter owns.
Jones and InfoWars are notorious for spreading conspiracy theories and other demonstrably false information, including the idea that the Sandy Hook massacre was a hoax, and that the victims of it were child actors. Some of the parents of the victims have sued Jones for mental and emotional distress.
Jones had traveled to Washington D.C. Wednesday for congressional hearings at which Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey and Facebook COO Sheryl Sandberg testified.
Before accosting Darcy, Jones confronted Senator Marco Rubio in a hallway outside the room where Dorsey and Sandberg were appearing for a Senate Intelligence Committee hearing.
Jones repeatedly interrupted Rubio as the senator answered questions from reporters. After Jones tapped Rubio on the shoulder, the senator warned, "Hey, don't touch me again, man."
Later, he found Darcy outside a room where Dorsey was to appear before the House Energy and Commerce Committee.
Darcy's reporting had previously raised questions about tech companies' rules and statements about their battles against misinformation, and whether those were consistent with their allowing Jones and InfoWars to use their platforms. For example, after Dorsey himself tweeted that Twitter was not banning Jones like its counterparts had because "he hasn't violated our rules," an investigation by Darcy led to Twitter admitting that in fact at least seven tweets had broken its rules.
Jones shouted at Darcy for more than ten minutes, accusing him of being in favor of censorship and insulting his appearance, comparing him to "a rat" and told Darcy he was "evil-looking." Jones was live on Twitter's Periscope service the whole time.
TM & © 2018 Turner Broadcasting System, Inc.
A WarnerMedia Company.
All Rights Reserved.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:05 PM   #775
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 111 Times in 18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I really can't understand where the morons calling out Kap and others like him can't differentiate things in their minds... nobody is kneeling to disrespect the military or the flag... pretty damn simple it's always been about police brutality and police brutality alone.

Not capable of having 2 thoughts in their pea brains at the same time? I guess it's hard sometimes... comes down to the failure of the USA's education system again.
The problem I have with Kaepernick is that I find his protest disingenuous. If you really look at the stats, white people are actually more likely to be killed by police officers than blacks. In actuality, officers were actually more hesitant in shooting blacks than whites.
ray666 is offline   Reply With Quote