REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-23-2018, 12:51 PM   #51
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,877 Times in 3,885 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I meant the digital ones, I think it's the Matrix and Corolla that can top out at 3xx km.
Correct. I see it all the time, they lock out at 299,999km. People get pissed when I tell them they don’t get a mileage warranty on their tires because there’s no way to verify
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2018, 10:20 PM   #52
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,925 Times in 762 Posts
Failed 367 Times in 95 Posts
https://theprovince.com/news/politic...7-d242e7f892fc

VICTORIA — B.C. motorists who might occasionally let a friend or family member drive their vehicle will need to pay a new $50 fee on their basic auto insurance next year or face the risk of large penalties if the borrower crashes.

The “unlisted driver protection” fee is a little-known part of the overhaul at the Insurance Corp. of B.C. that government announced in August and will take effect in September, 2019.

The changes are touted as a way to pull the Crown insurance agency out of its financial crisis. But critics say the driver protection plan is one example of several rate hikes masquerading as hidden fees that most drivers will feel pressured to pay out of caution or confusion.

“If your vehicle is involved in a crash caused by an unlisted driver and you didn’t have the unlisted driver protection, there will be a financial consequence,” ICBC’s Adam Grossman said in a statement. “We need to ensure that the right incentives exist and, more importantly, that all drivers aren’t paying for the decisions that individuals make about who they lend their vehicle to.”

The $50 annual protection plan would apply to anyone who intends to lend their vehicle out fewer than 12 times a year to family members, friends, neighbours, acquaintances or co-workers — for example, if you lent someone your truck to help them move. If an owner doesn’t buy the extra protection, and then someone with a worse safety record than the owner crashes their vehicle, ICBC would hit the owner with a steep fine. Anyone who might drive that vehicle more than a dozen times in a year must be explicitly listed on the insurance and their driving record will be considered in calculating premiums.

The surcharge is one of several new levies that motorists will face next year when insuring their vehicle with ICBC, which has a monopoly on basic auto insurance.

Attorney General David Eby has said the changes are intended to increase rates for the riskiest drivers while providing savings for those with safer records. He has said 39 per cent of ICBC customers could have rates fall by up to $50, 13 per cent by between $50 and $100, and 15 per cent by more than $100. However, those reductions are based on 2018 rates and could be wiped out by ICBC’s new fees and any rate hike for basic insurance in 2019.

Families, in particular those that have a teenager or new driver trying to obtain a driver’s licence for the first time, appear to be particularly hard hit under the new rules.

An average family with a basic insurance rate of $1,094 this year could pay almost $200 more next year for the same vehicle, reflecting what ICBC says is the increased crash risk of young drivers.

“All of this adds up to a pretty steep rate increase that David Eby is trying to hide,” said Opposition Liberal leader Andrew Wilkinson. “It sounds like David Eby’s newborn ICBC is going to be a whole bunch of flat rate fees with no real relationship to risk.”

All vehicle owners will soon be required by ICBC to list everyone who may drive their vehicle after September 2019, including spouses, children and other relatives (any friends or neighbours who will drive it more than 12 times a year).

ICBC’s new 2019 rate structure will mean the principal operator (say a parent with a lengthy clean driving record) will only account for 75 per cent of how ICBC sets the insurance premium on that vehicle. The highest-risk driver on the list (say a teenager) will be used by ICBC to calculate the remaining 25 per cent of the rate.

ICBC also plans to levy a new learner premium for drivers who must use the red ‘L’ signs, of between $130 and $230 annually, depending on where you live in B.C., to “recognize the risk that a learner driver represents.”

A crash by a learner would not affect the premium of the vehicle owner, or the learner’s driving record, according to ICBC. But once that learner graduates to a full licence, their risk would increase insurance rates for a parent who lets them drive the family vehicle.

Eby has said the insurance changes are intended to reform ICBC, prevent massive rate hikes and help it recover from a $1.3-billion loss last year. But Wilkinson said Eby has simply masked rate hikes on good drivers by calling them flat fees.

Eby was not available for an interview, and questions were redirected to ICBC.

Example 1: In this scenario, Erica is the principal driver and owner of a car. Her husband Stephen and daughter Jennifer also drive the car. While Erica’s basic insurance premium will go down by $31 in 2019 because of her clean record, she will have to pay $225 in a new “learner premium” to have Jennifer continue to drive the family car with her learner’s licence and red L sign. That means an overall basic insurance hike of $194 in 2019, compared to 2018. Because she’s a learner, Jennifer’s driving record isn’t used to calculate any part of her mother’s basic insurance premium.

Example 2: This scenario is similar to the previous one, but Jennifer has now passed the graduated licensing program, has obtained her driver’s licence and has driven three years without a crash. She’s still using her mother’s car. ICBC’s new 2019 rate rules will mean a $134 rate increase for Erica. This is because ICBC’s new rules consider Erica’s clean crash history for only 75 per cent of the premium, and Jennifer’s higher-risk history for the remaining 25 per cent. Stephen can continue to drive, too. ICBC says the “changes are about increasing fairness, so if Jennifer is driving Erica’s vehicle, the premium needs to reflect the higher risk.”

Example 4: Jennifer has moved out, got her own car and is out of the picture. Erica and Stephen’s insurance has dropped back down. But, they lend their car to their neighbour Mike, who has a worse driving record than they do, with a previous crash. Erica could purchase the new $50 “unlisted driver protection” or explicitly list Mike on her premium and pay a higher rate. But she decides to do neither and just risk loaning him the car. Mike crashes the car and is at fault. ICBC’s new 2019 rules could allow it to fine Erica up to $1,275.
Acura604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:23 PM   #53
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,862 Times in 3,920 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
what about Turo owners?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:39 PM   #54
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,084 Times in 1,922 Posts
Failed 202 Times in 90 Posts
Where's example 3? Damn ICBC hiding stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 11:10 PM   #55
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,331 Times in 4,059 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
My biggest concern with this plan is the potential increase in things like drunk driving. If someone forgot to get the insurance they can't let a sober friend drive their car home instead, so they're more likely to drink and drive.

What do they mean by "12 times a year" though? Is that per person using it or total? And what counts as a "time"? Any day they drive it on, or any person they drive it that's made up of consecutive days (ie borrowing it for a week while their car is being fixed)? Does this include mechanics, valets, etc driving your car? Even someone moving your car to get another one out of the driveway would require this. I just can't imagine anyone could safely say that absolutely nobody will ever drive their car at all.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2018, 02:01 AM   #56
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,580 Times in 2,658 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
I find it extraordinarily funny that the Liberals' Wilkinson has the guts (and the thick hide) to come out and bark at the changes that NDP and Eby are implementing now. The Liberals were the ones that left ICBC in the financial ruins that it is in now. Does they seriously think there is still any sort of moral high ground they can stand on to criticize what NDP / Eby is doing to salvage the situation?

As far as I can see, Eby seems to be factoring out a number of different higher risks situations/causes from the general driver pool, and then charging people separately for them. In doing so, the low risk drivers get to enjoy a slightly cheaper rate, and drivers can optionally choose for themselves to see whether they want to pay extra to enjoy a bit of convenience. This approach seem very much like something private insurance would do, except that I think the 25% portion of insurance premium calculation is probably cheaper than what a private insurance company would have charged.

The unlisted driver thing is a real PITA, but at least it can be waived away with a $50 solution. And even if a vehicle owner chooses to not pay for that and his car gets into an accident with an unlisted driver, it sounds like ICBC will still honour the insurance coverage (which is the important thing), even though it'll slap the vehicle owner with a hefty fine.

The most disappointing thing about this ICBC reform is -- there still isn't any provisions for people with multiple vehicles to enjoy some reduced insurance premiums. If we are already going by the insurance-tied-to-driver model, then obviously only 1 driver can drive a single vehicle at any given time!!! So why not give us a break on our 2nd, 3rd, etc. vehicles?
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-27-2018, 05:06 AM   #57
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Failed 231 Times in 90 Posts
There is a <5000 km/year discount
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2018, 06:05 AM   #58
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Failed 222 Times in 38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
My biggest concern with this plan is the potential increase in things like drunk driving. If someone forgot to get the insurance they can't let a sober friend drive their car home instead, so they're more likely to drink and drive.

What do they mean by "12 times a year" though? Is that per person using it or total? And what counts as a "time"? Any day they drive it on, or any person they drive it that's made up of consecutive days (ie borrowing it for a week while their car is being fixed)? Does this include mechanics, valets, etc driving your car? Even someone moving your car to get another one out of the driveway would require this. I just can't imagine anyone could safely say that absolutely nobody will ever drive their car at all.
The drinking and driving thing is a very valid point but i'm fairly sure that valet's and mechanics carry their own insurance that would cover your vehicle while they are in it.
Koflach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:16 AM   #59
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,598 Times in 4,324 Posts
Failed 284 Times in 130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
The most disappointing thing about this ICBC reform is -- there still isn't any provisions for people with multiple vehicles to enjoy some reduced insurance premiums. If we are already going by the insurance-tied-to-driver model, then obviously only 1 driver can drive a single vehicle at any given time!!! So why not give us a break on our 2nd, 3rd, etc. vehicles?
Yup. Greedy as fuck. That's why all my eligible cars are getting modified/collector plates. I know a few provinces issue a single plate for multiple cars. That's what we need.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2018, 07:25 AM   #60
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,367 Times in 1,275 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
The drunk driving thing doesn't really add up to me. If you're in that position you'd rather risk all the bullshit that comes along with getting caught driving drunk, or worse yet crashing into someone while drunk, instead of letting a sober friend drive your car and risk up to a $1275 fine in the unlikely event that they crash?

Fuck if you have the money to go out and get wasted I think you can afford the $50 a year to be covered for that situation.
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 07:30 AM   #61
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 16 Times in 5 Posts
I'm pretty sure everyone is going to pay the $50 fee just to not worry about it. They priced it at $50 so people don't think it's a huge cost. Sneaky way to eliminate the $50-100 savings good drivers get under the new rules.
bomberR17 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-27-2018, 07:47 AM   #62
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,923 Times in 1,117 Posts
Failed 16 Times in 14 Posts
should only have to pay this fee once regardless of how many vehicles you have.

this is yet another cash grab. they did the same thing when they changed underinsured motorist protection from one policy to per vehicle.

sometimes I just want to sell all my shit and go back to a single vehicle. I get so sick of the sheer number of times I have to deal w ICBC over anything.

I think the drunk driving aspect is a legit beef. we've had it hammered into our brains for years to arrange a DD. Putting any barrier regardless of how small in the way of doing that will make at least some people take an unnecessary risk.
The Producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2018, 08:39 AM   #63
I help report spam so I got this! &lt;--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
Failed 275 Times in 114 Posts
More cash grab from an already-expensive insurance provider. Mask it with a "reducing premium for safe drivers" narrative. It's 2.5% hike on a 2k annual premium. Imagine if they just come out and say "we're hiking y'all 2.5%". This is a cute way of avoiding the backlash.

This is the problem with monopoly. Prepare to bend over for an incoming another $50 fee on "__________" next year.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-12-2018, 02:11 AM   #64

Thanked 3,592 Times in 1,207 Posts
Failed 236 Times in 60 Posts
Well, I just my renewal notice for my 2017 Subaru WRX which I don't have any more.

1 million liability
1000 collision
300 comprehensive
Uninsured motorist protection

With a full discount, it would of an annual cost of $3,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:20 AM   #65
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,367 Times in 1,275 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRNammer View Post
Well, I just my renewal notice for my 2017 Subaru WRX which I don't have any more.

1 million liability
1000 collision
300 comprehensive

What was it last year?
MarkyMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:48 AM   #66

Mine went from $1317 last year and $1330 the year before to $1435 this year (max discount, no claims, tickets, or points in 19 years of driving). A 9% increase
Old 10-12-2018, 08:08 AM   #67

Wow great job Icbc of lowering insurance for good drivers. Can’t wait to see what mine is come December
Old 10-12-2018, 08:33 AM   #68

Thanked 10,375 Times in 3,719 Posts
Failed 474 Times in 238 Posts
Quote:

1 million liability
1000 collision
300 comprehensive

a million 3rd party!? hory shit, i run with 5 million cuz im scared i might hit a van full of lawyers or some kinda chinese heiress in richmond. A million is risky as fuck brah.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:16 AM   #69

Thanked 3,592 Times in 1,207 Posts
Failed 236 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
What was it last year?
Last year it was 2800 bucks, for the upcoming renewal would of been 3000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
a million 3rd party!? hory shit, i run with 5 million cuz im scared i might hit a van full of lawyers or some kinda chinese heiress in richmond. A million is risky as fuck brah.
Yeah silly me, I should of put more. But don't have the car any more. Family whip has a higher 3rd party liability
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2018, 09:21 AM   #70

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think AG Eby's newly revised rate plans have come into effect yet?

If that's the case, TypeRNammer is still getting charged based on the previous ICBC rate hike from the year before, and the average increase from that last hike was ~5%.

Quote:

1 million liability
1000 collision
300 comprehensive

This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2018, 10:56 AM   #71

The new ICBC rate logic starts September 2019 IIRC.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2018, 11:15 AM   #72

So they’re doing the tactics that department stores used to do before the advent of internet on phones. Spend a few weeks hiking up the price of a blender, then put it for sale 30% off. But it’s just back to what it used to be lol
Old 10-12-2018, 11:40 AM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
So they’re doing the tactics that department stores used to do before the advent of internet on phones. Spend a few weeks hiking up the price of a blender, then put it for sale 30% off. But it’s just back to what it used to be lol
LOL~ That's a cynical way of looking at the ICBC premiums, but I am not at all surprised people might think that way.

It is completely false that ICBC is jacking the rates up now so that they can lower it back down later and make it seem like we're getting a bargain. The current rates (eg. the higher premiums that TypeRNammer is paying compared to last year) are decided on last year when ICBC was still in its financial dumpster fire mode, and was losing money badly. Under the previous dumpster fire model, the premium increases were needed to keep the game of musical chairs from imploding right away.

Honestly when it comes to vehicle operating costs, at the moment I am far more upset about the ridiculous gas prices than I am with ICBC rates.
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-12-2018, 01:07 PM   #74

Thanked 10,375 Times in 3,719 Posts
Failed 474 Times in 238 Posts
Imma gonna try that less than 5k a year thingy on my Vespa. Current insurance is 323 dollars a year

God damn I love my little red rocket. Did I mention it only needs 4l of gas to go almost 200kms ?!?!?
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:09 PM   #75

What about the Maserati?