REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-13-2018, 06:57 PM   #1
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 14 Times in 3 Posts
What's the biggest vehicle you can reasonably drive and park in Vancouver?

Looking to get a small truck (Colorado or Tacoma). It's not the width or height I'm thinking about, it's the length. It's 212 inches long. My coupe is 188 long so that's another 2 feet. It looks as if it fits in most parking spots. Curious what people have gotten away with driving in Vancouver size-wise without going nuts.
Advertisement
mr00jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:07 PM   #2
RS Veteran

Thanked 11,213 Times in 4,601 Posts
Failed 426 Times in 274 Posts
A Porsche Panamera and Honda Odyssey worked for me in Vancouver. The Tacoma measuring in at 212 inches, but the Panamera was about 198. Honda Odyssey was 202 inches. I'm sure the extra 10 - 12 inches do matter (that's what she said!) You'll just have to figure out where you're going to park most of the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
excuse me, i would never date a mainlander... thats disgusting.
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:16 PM   #3
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 13 Times in 10 Posts
My work vehicle is a 2018 GMC Yukon, 208" length, no problem driving/parking it in Vancouver. I see Taco's around town, you should be fine.
snowfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:19 PM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,137 Times in 259 Posts
Failed 170 Times in 46 Posts
My truck was:

~240 inches long, wheelbase was around 155 inches I think.
~80 inches wide without counting the mirrors (they folded in with the touch of a button, so wasn't much of an issue)
~80 inches tall at the top of the cab.

I didn't find it that bad, I just picked my battles when it came to parking lots though. I would usually park farther away than most people would. That said, a few parking spots didn't leave me much room to open my doors if someone parked right beside me. Luckily, for some reason people don't park beside full size trucks if they don't have to.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:17 PM   #5
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,113 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
If I can get a double cab taco to P2 of crystal mall sunday afternoon, you will be fine.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-13-2018, 09:24 PM   #6
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 14 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
If I can get a double cab taco to P2 of crystal mall sunday afternoon, you will be fine.
That makes me sweat just thinking about!
mr00jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 09:30 PM   #7
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,846 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
200" before the days of a backup camera but to be fair older vehicle has better rearward visibility
would occasionally jump the curb on right turns if I don't drive it for a while
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-14-2018, 10:00 AM   #8
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Failed 79 Times in 14 Posts
I don't think driving should be a problem. I used to deliver stuff so maybe it's just me, you do get used to it. Parking a longer vehicle is more of a challenge, especially street parking; although nowadays, with backup cameras, it's much easier to do than before.

My dad's friend used to parallel park his one ton cube truck in Chinatown, this was before the days of back up cameras too, I was always amazed that he could do that.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:06 AM   #9
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,113 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
I'd say boxier the easier. You just need to know the point of reference. Of course, mirrors are a big help too.

i laugh at my boss GL with its C class mirrors.

I can park within 1" of the wall by looking at the change in the light pattern against the wall.

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:07 AM   #10
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,229 Times in 4,016 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
I never had any problems the brief time I drove a Panamera (196") but the in-laws had some issues parallel parking their Expedition (206") downtown. I think a lot of that had to do with their comfort level though, the more you park in tight spots the more familiar you'll be with eyeballing where you can and can't fit.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:30 AM   #11
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,469 Times in 2,027 Posts
Failed 173 Times in 83 Posts
Don't be embarrassed to get out and check clearance as well. Would be less embarrassing than hitting someone or something. Do it a few times and you'll get used to it. Eventually, you'll know out of instinct when to stop.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:01 PM   #12
SFICC-03*

Thanked 2,720 Times in 1,089 Posts
Failed 150 Times in 73 Posts
do you need a bigger vehicle? i drive my dads sierra from time to time and while it's nice that we have a pickup in the family, i'd never want it to be my daily driver.
unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:13 PM   #13
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Failed 59 Times in 30 Posts
I was worried when I got my Genesis sedan. It's 196" and it's what's considered a midsize today.... I can actually fit it in a lot of small car spots. I basically told myself that it's only 6" longer than my last car. Just get it, you'll get used to it. Cars are just bigger today. Mine is about a foot longer than the original Hummer H1 and I used to think those were huge...
Old 08-14-2018, 06:10 PM   #14
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,846 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
not mine but i'm sure if you get a long bed it'll stick out

the good thing about sticking out like a sore thumb is most people will probably be more careful around it
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 10:17 PM   #15
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Failed 409 Times in 181 Posts
I've been dailying crew cab long bed 1 ton pickups for 3+ years now. I don't fit in some parkades, but my trucks usually have back racks or other accessories that pose issues. A stock tacoma or canyon will go anywhere height wise.

Length wise I need to look for longer stalls when parallel parking, that was more so prevalent when some of my trucks didn't have backup cams, but since they all have cameras and I can easily get within inches of other cars, its pretty easy. When stall parking it's gonna stick out, period. I often still have my trailer hitch on, or even am towing my trailer, so I usually park farther away and take two stalls, or park farther away where if I am sticking out it's not a big issue. Keep in mind I am talking about a truck that is bumper to bumper ~260".

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
the good thing about sticking out like a sore thumb is most people will probably be more careful around it
ehhhh. Stupid people are stupid. I watched a girl shin herself on my trailer hitch. Looked painful. The good part about driving something big is people get the fuck out of your way. I get a lot less people doing stupid shit when 8000lbs of steel will end them in a heartbeat. The other great thing was I had someone rear end me a little while back, not a scratch on my truck, but she ate my tow bar pretty badly and her car was probably a write off.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:44 AM   #16
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
Failed 7 Times in 7 Posts
I drive my quad cab, dually 3500 in Vancouver at times...and it's manageable. 246" long, both rear tires will touch the paint if I'm parked square in the spots they paint today. I wouldn't say driving it in the city is 'enjoyable', but its not like it's impossible. It's not lifted, so I can get it into most parking garages. Parking sometimes feels like Austin Powers, but you do what you gotta do. For sure I'm going to be hanging 24" or more out the front of the parking spot. Some are so small the front wheels are not even at the paint if I back in.

Meh, you build your lot so small I can't park? Not my fault. In an outdoor lot, such as a Wal-mart, the spots are painted small enough these days that my truck literally takes 4-spaces. I'll park as far away from the door as possible, in as few spots as possible. But people still look at me like I'm a jerk.
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 11:58 AM   #17
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,229 Times in 4,016 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
If you're parking out of the way that's the best you can do. When someone parks their truck that doesn't fit at the very front of the lot and the overhang takes up half of the lane so nobody can get in/out that way, that's pretty rude.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 04:52 PM   #18
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Failed 554 Times in 127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
ehhhh. Stupid people are stupid. I watched a girl shin herself on my trailer hitch. Looked painful. The good part about driving something big is people get the fuck out of your way. I get a lot less people doing stupid shit when 8000lbs of steel will end them in a heartbeat. The other great thing was I had someone rear end me a little while back, not a scratch on my truck, but she ate my tow bar pretty badly and her car was probably a write off.
i think its the law in AB you have to remove your hitch when youre not towing, not sure about BC. in either case i think its kind of inconsiderate to leave the hitch on all the time for that exact reason. not to mention good way to get it stolen
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:18 PM   #19
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Failed 533 Times in 187 Posts
Used to drive a manual quad cab long box cummins around town, thing was around 250'ish inches. Just gotta be a little more patient when finding parking.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:58 PM   #20
Willing to sell a family member for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 1,421 Times in 273 Posts
Failed 110 Times in 37 Posts
I've been driving around in my 2500hd Silverado Crew cab short box in the city for the last 10 years, never had an issue looking for street parking downtown.

I only ran into height issues when I installed a taller headache rack.

Acura Integra Type R 00-1004 - It's back
223whp 161ft tq 2.0L ITR

My Feedback
E-40six is offline   Reply With Quote