REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 03-29-2019, 07:34 AM   #2801
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
People arguing about plastering your windows with stickers... are missing the point.

Discreet is elite, people. It really doesn't matter if you CAN put them on, all that matters is that you're making yourself an EASY TARGET that stands out all that more.

It's crystal clear that the cards are stacked against tuners: cops can stop you for whatever reason they want. They will find a reason to VI you, and you have no outs. 99% of the members here have neither the time nor the financial resources to fight back... and VPD knows it.

We may not like it, but we must be pragmatic about it. Whining here, whining on social media, and continuing to say that this should be on the news gets us nowhere.

If you want to drive in Vancouver, then roll the dice or "de-tune" your car so it doesn't stick out. That's really all there is to it.
Advertisement
E30_lulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:53 AM   #2802
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Spoiler!
I just went and measured it by turning my wheels full lock as mentioned in the CVSE instructions. I was surprised that I had more wheel gap than I though (when measuring it this way). It looks like I have less gap when just looking from the side with the wheels straight.
Lancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:14 AM   #2803
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Failed 5 Times in 4 Posts
What about every car that's been vinyl wrapped
use2bavolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 11:44 AM   #2804
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,858 Times in 3,883 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by use2bavolvo View Post
What about every car that's been vinyl wrapped
There is a ticket for changing the colour of your car and not updating your insurance papers
Old 04-01-2019, 11:35 AM   #2805
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,828 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 370 Times in 115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
There is a ticket for changing the colour of your car and not updating your insurance papers
What colour do you put down for Ford Mystichrome
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 11:51 AM   #2806

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
What colour do you put down for Ford Mystichrome
“Ugly”
Old 04-01-2019, 04:26 PM   #2807
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Failed 57 Times in 18 Posts
What about this?

EvoSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-01-2019, 05:58 PM   #2808

Harlequin, good comeback. I really don’t know.... I’d say yellow because that’s what the chassis is painted. Also I have a set of those wheels in storage
Old 04-01-2019, 06:05 PM   #2809
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 16 Times in 5 Posts
I believe there is a multi colour option when declaring to ICBC.
bomberR17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 07:08 PM   #2810
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Failed 533 Times in 187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Harlequin, good comeback. I really don’t know.... I’d say yellow because that’s what the chassis is painted. Also I have a set of those wheels in storage
Specs? They'd be funny on the 86...
Old 04-01-2019, 09:19 PM   #2811
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,712 Times in 1,583 Posts
Failed 163 Times in 62 Posts
CTV contacted me back in regards to below:

Quote:
In recent news, Sgt. Cain & Co have visited Metrotown Mazda to question them about passing too many vehicles and specifically one vehicle 4 times. I highly doubt that the inspector would be willing to lose his job and get in trouble at the dealership level just to pass a couple of cars for buddies. I have it on good word that Sgt. Cain & Co have been threatening to take away licenses from shops/dealerships. The issue is that, if Metrotown Mazda is the only Mazda dealership in 50km radius that can do VIs, and now they are refusing to, how is anyone suppose to get their vehicle inspected? Or further, if all dealerships get harassed and refuse to do inspections, what's the recourse for regular consumers? Another dealership that had been visited is Lotus Vancouver/Jim Patterson Toyota.

I'm highly doubtful that there is, but, do you guys know of any inspectors that are willing to corroborate that Cain & Co are threatening dealerships/inspectors? PM pls.
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:04 AM   #2812
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Failed 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
CTV contacted me back in regards to below:

I'm highly doubtful that there is, but, do you guys know of any inspectors that are willing to corroborate that Cain & Co are threatening dealerships/inspectors? PM pls.
Thank you BIC_BAWS for all of your work. I feel like the noose is tightening on Cain & Co. I think this is the moment that we, as enthusiasts have been waiting for... where the businesses jump onboard because this VI bullshit is affecting businesses.

I hope that someone from Metrotown Mazda and other dealerships who have been threatened by Cain will help by airing their story.
adrnlnrush00 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2019, 11:03 AM   #2813
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Got $109 ticket with no VI for non compliant suspension in the rear. This is my winter set up so meaty tyres. Zero stretch and sunk. I also had 2 passengers so the back was a little lower than pictured I guess.

I did say that the suspension has un-restricted travel and no evidence of scrubbing on the body or tyres. But he said that there needs to be 1 or 2 fingers of vertical gap :/ . When I asked for the specifics of what I should be changing it to avoid future tickets he admitted to not being an expert on vehicle inspection but was still giving me the ticket.

Very annoying but from reading here and as I expected there is not much we can do. I have been living in Canada/ Van for just over a year now and figured it would only be a matter of time. But was hoping that without wheel poke and camber I would not draw any attention. As it is a very tame and functional set up and the body kit along with stock FRS being low make it look more extreme than it is.
SiR_GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2019, 11:06 AM   #2814

Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
^ whats the difference between your tire specs vs OEM winter tire specs

surprised they didn't ding you on the window tint

What MVA violation did they write on the ticket??

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 12:08 PM   #2815
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
^ whats the difference between your tire specs vs OEM winter tire specs

surprised they didn't ding you on the window tint

What MVA violation did they write on the ticket??
OEM is 215/45/17 and these are 235/45/17 I think. So very close to the same rolling radius. The rims are wider and lower offset than stock. His issue was more ride height based than wheel based I think.

Can they do you on rear tint? Its only tinted in the rear 3. Might look darker in photo but front windows are stock.

I think it says 2.9(1) : Vehicle not compliant. Trying to read the scribbles so I am not sure what numbers are written. Thats what it looks like...

Last edited by SiR_GTR; 04-03-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:23 PM   #2816

Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
Table of Contents - Motor Vehicle Act Regulations

Are they pulling laws out of their ass now?

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2019, 12:36 PM   #2817
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,541 Times in 2,642 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Since it is a ticket, it is something you can dispute.

As I have posted earlier, the 1" clearance requirement is a CVSE rule. But it only applies to the front wheels since the CVSE requirements clearly states that you need to test for clearance by turning the steering wheel from left to right for the full rotation (or something along those lines). Last time I checked, the rear wheels on most cars -- and certainly not on your FRS -- are completely unaffected by the steering wheel. Just go back and look for a few of my earlier posts.

You can totally dispute this one in court. And if you choose to do so afterwards, you'd also have a strong case for filing a complaint about the police officer being incompetent and ticketing you with the wrong law.

Would you also please let us know which officer it is that ticketed you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR_GTR View Post

Got $109 ticket with no VI for non compliant suspension in the rear. This is my winter set up so meaty tyres. Zero stretch and sunk. I also had 2 passengers so the back was a little lower than pictured I guess.

I did say that the suspension has un-restricted travel and no evidence of scrubbing on the body or tyres. But he said that there needs to be 1 or 2 fingers of vertical gap :/ . When I asked for the specifics of what I should be changing it to avoid future tickets he admitted to not being an expert on vehicle inspection but was still giving me the ticket.

Very annoying but from reading here and as I expected there is not much we can do. I have been living in Canada/ Van for just over a year now and figured it would only be a matter of time. But was hoping that without wheel poke and camber I would not draw any attention. As it is a very tame and functional set up and the body kit along with stock FRS being low make it look more extreme than it is.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2019, 12:41 PM   #2818
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,815 Times in 341 Posts
Failed 45 Times in 29 Posts

A friend of mine recently had a box 2 on the s2000. Brought to honda dealer for inspection and this is what Honda is using to check for ride height.

Car can't be lowered over 1.5 inches over manufacture's ride height. You also need 1 inch gap from tire and frame when wheel is turned full left/right.

Car unfortunately didn't pass with just a hairline under 1inch gap on the car.

2018 Golf R MK7.5 (Daily)
2001 S2000 (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Merc 300 TE-24 AMG Estate - Sold
2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2019, 12:41 PM   #2819
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray;8944340[url=http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/id/complete/statreg/26_58_00
Table of Contents - Motor Vehicle Act Regulations[/url]

Are they pulling laws out of their ass now?
No idea the closest thing is 25.20 but it sure does not resemble that on the ticket so good chance he pulled it out of his ass. He never said anything about it being lowered more than 10cm. If an 86 was lowered 10cm it would be bellow the ground. My suspension lowest setting is -7.6cm which it is far from.

I did want to raise it up ever so slightly when I put my summer wheels back on as I feel it has a little reverse rake which I am not a fan of.

Thanks for providing that link too. I know its not a get out jail free card but its good to know the specifics.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:50 PM   #2820
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Since it is a ticket, it is something you can dispute.

As I have posted earlier, the 1" clearance requirement is a CVSE rule. But it only applies to the front wheels since the CVSE requirements clearly states that you need to test for clearance by turning the steering wheel from left to right for the full rotation (or something along those lines). Last time I checked, the rear wheels on most cars -- and certainly not on your FRS -- are completely unaffected by the steering wheel. Just go back and look for a few of my earlier posts.

You can totally dispute this one in court. And if you choose to do so afterwards, you'd also have a strong case for filing a complaint about the police officer being incompetent and ticketing you with the wrong law.

Would you also please let us know which officer it is that ticketed you?
Yes thanks for all the info everyone. I was looking over it before posting. I just wanted to share another example. I am pretty clear on the regulations now and can be armed with more specifics next time but it seems as you and the officer said they can issue the ticket regardless and its up to me to dispute.

Is disputing honestly an avenue worth exploring? My understanding is that it is quite expensive to do so and there is still a decent chance you will be found guilty.

I didn't remember to get his name and the signature is hard to read. Is there and index of the officer numbers publicly available?
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2019, 01:12 PM   #2821

In your opinion, has your car been lowered by more than 1.5" compared to stock? If you think the amount of lowering is within the CVSE rule, I'd strongly recommend you to dispute. AFAIK, there is no charge for disputing your ticket. If you pay it off early though, there is usually a discount, but accepting the ticket may also mean demerit points, and you have to check whether your specific ticket carries any points with it.

If you can't read his name, there should at least be a badge number for the officer. I think that should be on the ticket too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR_GTR View Post
Yes thanks for all the info everyone. I was looking over it before posting. I just wanted to share another example. I am pretty clear on the regulations now and can be armed with more specifics next time but it seems as you and the officer said they can issue the ticket regardless and its up to me to dispute.

Is disputing honestly an avenue worth exploring? My understanding is that it is quite expensive to do so and there is still a decent chance you will be found guilty.

I didn't remember to get his name and the signature is hard to read. Is there and index of the officer numbers publicly available?
Old 04-02-2019, 01:16 PM   #2822
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,883 Times in 5,637 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Disputing an actual violation ticket is no more costly than the time required to show up at your assigned court date/appointment and presenting your evidence.

It sounds like this is a freebie for you, no way the judge is going to impose that fine with the CVSE regulations backing you up and him not even quoting the right part of the manual.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-02-2019, 01:37 PM   #2823
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
In your opinion, has your car been lowered by more than 1.5" compared to stock? If you think the amount of lowering is within the CVSE rule, I'd strongly recommend you to dispute. AFAIK, there is no charge for disputing your ticket. If you pay it off early though, there is usually a discount, but accepting the ticket may also mean demerit points, and you have to check whether your specific ticket carries any points with it.

If you can't read his name, there should at least be a badge number for the officer. I think that should be on the ticket too?
I dont know the exact figure as I bought it modified. From past experience I would guess it is lowered slightly more than 1.5inches but less than 10cm quoted in the MVA. As said in here they are contradictory.

I will do more research in terms of what the options are with disputing and try to have the car set up to their spec. I can live with one ticket, but I live downtown so just dont want ongoing hassle.

2037 is officer number.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:43 PM   #2824
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Disputing an actual violation ticket is no more costly than the time required to show up at your assigned court date/appointment and presenting your evidence.

It sounds like this is a freebie for you, no way the judge is going to impose that fine with the CVSE regulations backing you up and him not even quoting the right part of the manual.
Thanks for info. I will measure mine compared to a stock 86. If I am within the CSVE regulation I would be up for disputing it.
Old 04-02-2019, 01:54 PM   #2825

I am not at all familiar with the ticket disputing process, but regardless of whether you plan on disputing, I think the most important thing is to find out definitively what violation you have been written up for. There may not be any point to go by what the officer told you if he had booked you up for something else. And since there is no Section 2.9(1) in the MVAR, and Section 2.9 in the MVA refers to something totally different, I think your first order of business is to confirm that.

MVA

MVAR