REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-15-2019, 06:52 PM   #2926
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Failed 533 Times in 187 Posts
Pics of car as you took it in please.
Advertisement
Old 04-16-2019, 08:24 AM   #2927
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,511 Times in 960 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeks1 View Post
My car passed at Honda with dual magnaflow and coilovers. They said the car is in excellent condition.
They also said it's not up to the cops to decide weather exhaust is loud but the inspection facility
This means that anytime a cop has suspicion whether an exhaust is too loud or not. They can send you to an inspection facility.

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 09:06 AM   #2928
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Failed 214 Times in 74 Posts
"I know enough to give you a VI but not enough to be held accountable for any fallout that may come of it" is the way this system is designed.

"Your car looks to be modified" says officer
"Coilover suspension is legal" is the reply
"I'm not a mechanic, so here's your VI" says officer.
"Fuck" is the reply.

Berz out.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:02 AM   #2929
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
Pics of car as you took it in please.
And when it was VI'd. Because don't forget this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeks1 View Post
Just took off the aftermarket rims they stuck out 1.5 inch out the wheelwells , tires were done too, sold em.
Eveything else was left
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2019, 03:43 PM   #2930
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Failed 3 Times in 2 Posts
So, my coworker's car passed his VI. I switched out his Honda HFP muffler for a normal Civic muffler and raised his car. He left the aftermarket rims on.

So, whichever service guy originally told him he wasn't going to pass with aftermarket wheels didn't know what he was saying. When he actually went through with the inspection, that guy said it was fine as long as he had enough of a gap from wheel to fender.

He decided to take off the HFP muffler just cause he doesn't want to get stopped for it again, even though it is legal and came with the car.

So, even though the VI was like $170, he had to pay more to get a stock muffler and pay to put stock shocks back on.

I agree though that his car was kinda low, but sucks that he had to remove his muffler that would have passed because he's scared to be stopped again.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:56 PM   #2931
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,081 Times in 2,097 Posts
Failed 215 Times in 113 Posts
Wow. Sad to hear people are afraid to keep OEM HFP parts on..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-17-2019, 07:49 PM   #2932

That was what the officer originally pulled him over for.
Old 04-17-2019, 10:44 PM   #2933
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,712 Times in 1,583 Posts
Failed 163 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_woo View Post
That was what the officer originally pulled him over for.
If so, he should have kept it on, then it would be a legitimate complaint to the VPD.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2019, 02:00 AM   #2934
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,727 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 211 Posts
Lol,... Sorry, what's with these posts like (paraphrasing) "I passed but I removed this and that before I took it in." so what's really the point? You're just enforcing Cain was in the right in the first place then.

If you're confident your car doesn't have illegal mods, take it in exactly as is. Then you have a case and leverage when you pass.

I would have tried to get Honda involved if the HFP part was being in question.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM

Last edited by AzNightmare; 04-18-2019 at 02:08 AM.
AzNightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2019, 02:07 AM   #2935
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 2 Times in 2 Posts
as for ride height deviation (lowered), I just wondering if there is a service manual published specification for HFP ride height. Because even if it "looks low", it's still delivered legally low, isn't it?
Old 04-18-2019, 11:56 AM   #2936

Quote:
Originally Posted by coneZONE View Post
as for ride height deviation (lowered), I just wondering if there is a service manual published specification for HFP ride height. Because even if it "looks low", it's still delivered legally low, isn't it?
No, his car was too low. I had warned him about that and about Cain. He tried staying out of Vancouver as much as possible, but eventually, his luck ran out and he had to go downtown. He was pulled over at Main and Terminal.
He raised it cause he knew it was too low.

However, the Honda guy did say he will pass with his HFP muffler, but he just didn't want to deal with being hassled again by VPD so he chose to buy a non-HFP one to put on his car and will just sell his HFP muffler and aftermarket suspension stuff.

This whole thing cost him like $500 (reverting certain parts to stock and inspection cost) and he doesn't want to deal with it again.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2019, 11:58 AM   #2937

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
If so, he should have kept it on, then it would be a legitimate complaint to the VPD.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That's what I told him as well as he showed the ticket indicated exhaust too loud but nothing about ride height.

He originally said he was gonna do that but ended up changing his mind cause I did tell him that if he gets stopped by a cop again and he doesn't believe him, the cop can issue another VI. I guess that was the reason he changed his mind and bought another muffler.
Old 04-18-2019, 12:07 PM   #2938
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_woo View Post
No, his car was too low. I had warned him about that and about Cain.
Do you have a pic of how the car was sitting when it got VI'd?
MuckyBarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:09 PM   #2939
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

A follow up to my VI on Mar 17. So, brought car as is to Don Docksteader Subaru at Cambie. I live in Richmond, and purchased my car, a 2013 BRZ from Richmond Subaru. As the ticket noted, bring to Subie dealer. Well, Richmond doesn't do VI inspections according to their service counter. Apparently their certification lapsed, or I'm thinking they don't want the hassle of dealing with these issues? I dare say the majority of BRZ, WRX, STi's purchased there end up in someway " modified". That's generally what the buyer's of these types of cars do. Even Subaru intonates this themselves, despite the fact they'll void your warranty if you do bust something "racing" aka autocross or track day. But whatever.
So, the CVSE tech that inspected my car noted a few things. I'm running a EL header, and Invidia Q300 exhaust. A pretty common setup for those that want a sporty exhaust note, a few extra pony's, and a decent looking aftermarket look, not some "brappy" N1 setup, that wakes the dead. The tech did note the exhaust was quite loud on cold starts, but not unreasonable at idle, or even under load, regardless, the exhaust had to go back to OEM. It's no longer just about "loudness". If it's not OEM at the back, it won't pass.
Also I had clear JDM side markers, which are OEM JDM products, I even went to the trouble applying orange amber reflective tape to keep things legit, but nope, no SAE/DOT markings. And perhaps the strangest issue, my license plate lights, I swapped out the OEM yellowish standard bulbs for LED's, which seemed like a good move, brighter, and adds a little flare. hey're white, but according to the tech, "too bluish", what the heck?! There not even "blue", guess a little higher along the color spectrum, so as to not be dingy.
So be it, reverted back to OEM exhaust, thankfully I hung on to that , found my OEM N.A. side markers, and changed the plate bulbs.
My car sits about an inch lower than stock, with sports springs, not any crazy "hellaflush" stuff. The tech was ok with the ride height, which was within acceptable variation, but from a fairly long chat with him, it sounded like any kind of aftermarket coilover would "automatically fail". He also stated that all these aftermarket parts do come with the stipulation that they're for off road, (racing) use anyways...Car went back to dealer after all changed, and passed. The tech was a nice guy and realized the situation. According to the service guys and gals and this tech, they've seen lots of VIs lately. Gotta give a shout out to Docksteader, they at least kept my file open for my follow up inspection, so as not to "double ding" me. So that's it for now, got that ugly looking inspection decal on the corner of my window now. Unbelievable really, all for some pretty pedestrian mods. The war on cars goes on friends!

Last edited by dtaygolf; 04-18-2019 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Error
dtaygolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:28 PM   #2940
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,541 Times in 2,642 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
This is most unfortunate. While I do not agree with the Don Docksteader Subaru tech's intepretation that exhaust needs to be OEM and that coilovers would automatically fail, there is little point in arguing with the front line hands-on person. This needs to be taken to the higher ups at CVSE instead.

In the CVSE inspection manual, Section 1 -- Power Train, the Exhaust System section goes like this:

With engine running, aurally and manually inspect:
a) manifolds

Reject if
a) missing, broken, cracked, loose, leaking

b) muffler

Reject if
b) leaking, missing, patch affixed other than by weld not OEM or equivalent, equipped with noise enhancing device

c) resonators (applicable units)

Reject if
c) leaking, patch affixed other than by weld, missing where OEM equipped

d) tail pipes

Reject if
d) leaking, perforated, missing, patch affixed other than by weld, collapsed, end is pinched, equipped with noise enhancing device

e) exhaust pipes

Reject if
e) leaking, perforated, missing, cracked, collapsed, patch affixed other than by weld

f) mounting hardware

Reject if
f) missing, loose, broken, insecurely mounted

g) leaks

Reject if
g) leaking along system or at joints

h) holes

Reject if
h) other than made by the original equipment manufacturer

i) location

Reject if
i) any part of exhaust system is closer than 25 mm (1 in.) to any part of fuel, brake system or any combustible material and is not protected by a shield – any component passes through an occupant compartment

All inspection procedures are visual unless additional inspection procedures are indicated or where applied force is necessary to verify tightness and/or component security.

j) tail pipe termination

Reject if
j) does not terminate within 50 mm (2 in.) of outside perimeter of the passenger compartment and expels exhaust outward (includes trunk)

k) exhaust cut-out

Reject if
k) exhaust is equipped with cut-out

l) catalytic converter (if OEM equipped) Required on all light vehicles manufactured after 1987 .Required on vehicles manufactured before 1987 if OEM equipped. Required on diesel engines if OEM equipped.

Reject if
l) missing or replaced with a non catalytic muffler

m) Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR)

Reject if
m) missing or does not operate

n) heat shield(s) (required where exhaust system may contact occupants when entering or leaving vehicle)
NOTE: Heat shields can be mounted at other than door areas.

Reject if
n) missing, incorrect size

o) noise emissions – confirm noise level with decibel meter for any vehicle with non-OEM, modified or altered exhaust system

Reject if
o ) excessive
The opinion of an inspector as to whether the engineand exhaust noise is greater than that made by other vehicles in good condition of comparable size, horsepower, piston displacement or compression ratio shall determine whether noise level is excessive. Must be comparable to OEM and confirmed with decibel meter.
– is equipped with any noise enhancing device

OUT OF SERVICE
Reject if
i) Any exhaust leak within the perimeter of the occupant compartment of the vehicle with holes in the floor(includes trunk).

Last edited by Traum; 04-18-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 02:47 PM   #2941
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,081 Times in 1,921 Posts
Failed 202 Times in 90 Posts
Ultimately it's up to the inspector that performs the VI on the car. Can't blame him too much for being stingy and trying to adhere to what the OEM parts are as much as possible. They risk losing inspector certification and also possibly get their dealership in shit with CVSE if they "let stuff slide".

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2019, 02:53 PM   #2942
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,541 Times in 2,642 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
As far as exhaust is concerned, the operative word here is "OEM or equivalent" -- it needs to be comparable to the OEM setup, and I would argue that since manufacturers often offer OEM performance exhaust options, aftermarket solutions only need to be comparable to those to meet the "OEM or equivalent" definition.

The "aftermarket coilover would fail" thing is ludicrous. There is absolutely nothing in the CVSE manual to suggest that aftermarket coilovers would fail. The common "coilover" suspension that we refer to is really nothing more than a coil spring suspension with height adjustibility. The passing criteria does include a clause that says the springs cannot be "sagged so as to lower vehicle more than 38 mm (1 1/2 in.) from manufacturer’s specifiedheight". As long as the lowered amount does not exceed that, it should pass inspection.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2019, 06:40 PM   #2943
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

I've got no quarrel with the tech, he's just doing his job, and admitingly from him, it's not that he takes any pleasure in having to do these VIs on otherwise safe vehicles in often better condition than average cars on the road.
Old 04-18-2019, 07:21 PM   #2944
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,915 Times in 7,398 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Sounds like the tech was covering his ass, which I can’t blame him for, but many of the things he said are completely baseless. Many of us have had the manual right in front of us to reference, and as said, coilovers failing automatically is ludicrous. Just because a box of coilovers he saw on the internet said “for off road use only” doesn’t mean that applies to all of them.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-18-2019, 09:41 PM   #2945
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

My car finally passed the VI, it's so hard to find parts for european cars here lol, someone even told me St Gobain windows, Valéo equipments and even Michelin are not road legal in North America because they are French brands LOL. I wanted to import a Renault M2RS plus the cops hate so much the Québecois and the French, i can't imagine with the loud F4rt engine. I guess i have to keep driving boring German / Japanese cars
Balrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 09:45 PM   #2946

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Sounds like the tech was covering his ass, which I can’t blame him for, but many of the things he said are completely baseless. Many of us have had the manual right in front of us to reference, and as said, coilovers failing automatically is ludicrous. Just because a box of coilovers he saw on the internet said “for off road use only” doesn’t mean that applies to all of them.

The tech at Audi took pictures of my car for the inspection and he told me to don't modify my car for a month. I guess i am ok, this fucking VI was so annoying and expensive for me i am done with this joke.
Old 04-19-2019, 06:00 AM   #2947
I STILL don't get it

Failed 8 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balrog View Post
I wanted to import a Renault M2RS plus the cops hate so much the Québecois and the French
Wat?
Dbone is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-19-2019, 08:39 AM   #2948
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
As far as exhaust is concerned, the operative word here is "OEM or equivalent" -- it needs to be comparable to the OEM setup, and I would argue that since manufacturers often offer OEM performance exhaust options, aftermarket solutions only need to be comparable to those to meet the "OEM or equivalent" definition.

The "aftermarket coilover would fail" thing is ludicrous. There is absolutely nothing in the CVSE manual to suggest that aftermarket coilovers would fail. The common "coilover" suspension that we refer to is really nothing more than a coil spring suspension with height adjustibility. The passing criteria does include a clause that says the springs cannot be "sagged so as to lower vehicle more than 38 mm (1 1/2 in.) from manufacturer’s specifiedheight". As long as the lowered amount does not exceed that, it should pass inspection.
I agree, it does seem ludicrous, and even ridiculous to fail a car for running coilovers, in most cases these suspension parts are an ungrade from the OEM, and considered "heavy duty". In other words better than stock. Ride height is also a consideration, and I can understand ridiculous camber, poke, or extremely low stance. Though most of those guys and gals serious about stance seem to run bags.
Again seems like a colossal waste of everyone's time and money, and not really the true intentions of CVSE regs, which I would think intonates more towards unsafe vehicles, or vehicles in disrepair.
What a crazy mixed up city we live in...
Old 04-19-2019, 09:34 AM   #2949

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Wat?
My point was i don't want anymore to import a French Renault Mégane RS because i will be annoyed by the cops 24/7. The F4rt engine is pretty loud and the color i want is pretty shinny too. This car gonna be a VI magnet lol.

Old 04-19-2019, 10:17 AM   #2950
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,883 Times in 5,637 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
Personally if I wanted a car I wouldn’t let fear of something like a VI stop me from doing it. Id just not drive it to Vancouver and that’s about it... who the heck wants to drive a performance car in Vancouver proper anyway? Shit roads and shit traffic.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: