REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-24-2019, 04:54 PM   #2976
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 15 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
You mean they some women dress too sexy.

Many of the same cars drove for years without getting a VI.
1) My god some people here think their car is getting VIed for being too sexy?! Do people think when people look at their rusted straight piped civic with a giant wing and plastidipped wheels that its too sexy?! I'm so glad I found this forum.

2) "you mean they some" - engrish?

3) Judging by your last post about "asking for it" and "women dressing too sexy" - you are somehow equating women to being harassed or assaulted to be similar to illegally (some illegal, some stock, some inbetween) modified cars getting told it is unsafe or way too loud? So first we got a guy comparing VIs to hitler and the holocaust, now to women asking for it? Impressive.

4) Apparently some people need to be taught this. Yes revving it past a cop with rattle can, no cats, yellow headlights/fogs, and 45 degree stance wheels is asking for for a ticket or VI. NO it is NOT the same as women dressing too sexy?!?!?!?! WTF????????

5) Unbelievable.

6) No I don't support VIs on minor mods or mods that are clearly safe/fine.
Advertisement
mikasaur is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 04-24-2019, 05:35 PM   #2977
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,883 Times in 5,637 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
^
For the record, most of the cars that got VI’s in this thread were minding their own business at the time and not revving or driving like ass clowns.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2019, 05:51 PM   #2978
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 2 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Where is the source of this info? I don't mean the imgur link, but the actual source that produced this.
I just received a copy in my email. Without the top and bottom cut off. I will post that
Old 04-24-2019, 06:08 PM   #2979
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,712 Times in 1,583 Posts
Failed 163 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SituAsian View Post

Seems highly related to below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
Can't find the article right now, but I believe the specific accident they're referring to was when this girl rear ended a lifted Ram brotruck and her head was essentially at the height of the rear bumper.

https://www.abbynews.com/news/girl-1...in-abbotsford/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedStars View Post
However, I don't believe adding engine mods, beefing up the brakes, or going e85 can cause fatal accidents on it's own and the government shouldn't use the accident as an excuse to outlaw them.

Honestly, I think if this is the narrative they want to take, I like it a lot better than this VPD bullshit. That being said, I have Hawk HP+ pads paired with good summer tires. I'll bet that I can stop a lot quicker on a single axle than a entire mid-sized SUV can. I can guarantee that it has saved me from tboning some dumbass Richmond drivers (
).

I'd love for the government to re-evaluate modifications that provide a greater benefit, such modifications would be brakes, suspension tuning, and lights. All of which can provide a greater benefit than OEM. There's the argument that can be made that a properly modified vehicle can get out of dangerous situations better than a stock car - simply because it is more capable. Like Speedstar, I think it's absolutely ridiculous the things they are saying contribute to fatal deaths.
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2019, 06:21 PM   #2980

Without the top and bottom of the image, you lose some of the context. Seems like it was mainly sent to vehicle dealerships. But still, some of it is vague/grey.
https://mvsabc.com/

Old 04-24-2019, 08:15 PM   #2981
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 18 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIC_BAWS View Post
rnment to re-evaluate modifications that provide a greater benefit, such modifications would be brakes, suspension tuning, and lights. All of which can provide a greater benefit than OEM.
By the way, about the lights. As is i am from another part of the globe, i would like to note, that almost all North American headlights are garbage. They are mostly blind and somehow blinding the incoming traffic. European light is waaay better.

Another thing, is side mirrors are mostly flat(May be i am wrong here), while in Europe (and often japan) they have curves and edges, that drastically decreases blind zones, so you can drive without shoulder checks.

So tell me a crap regarding safe NA standards.
nexusxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 09:34 PM   #2982

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusxv View Post
By the way, about the lights. As is i am from another part of the globe, i would like to note, that almost all North American headlights are garbage. They are mostly blind and somehow blinding the incoming traffic. European light is waaay better.

Another thing, is side mirrors are mostly flat(May be i am wrong here), while in Europe (and often japan) they have curves and edges, that drastically decreases blind zones, so you can drive without shoulder checks.

So tell me a crap regarding safe NA standards.
Not sure if im interpreting this wrong, but I actually agree that NA safety standards are crap LOL.

By the lights, I mean older vehicles that only had crappy halogen lights. I would think the best method to increase light out put would be to use new headlight lens (might not always be DOT stamped but honestly what difference does it make), use a higher output lumens halogen bulb, install projectors and AIM IT PROPERLY.

As for mirrors, on my 2015 Honda Civic, the left mirror's far left edge is actually a convex mirror, decreasing blind spots. Issue is that people in NA are mostly uneducated about how to properly set up their mirrors. Mirrors on my E46 are flat, but euro mirrors are curved.
Old 04-24-2019, 10:18 PM   #2983

Quote:
By the lights, I mean older vehicles that only had crappy halogen lights.
Believe me, it has nothing to do with the halogen, actually hallogen is not bad as many people think. For example yellow light penetrate the fog and rain better and it is more easy on eyes. It is a light pattern bad on most of the cars (even new). Usually it is flat line, while euro light has a beam that goes up-right and capture more stuff on a right side and right headlight captures further then left. Here they are more symmetrical like bike headlight.

Also, forgot about local deadly sin: Road surface marking paint is not reflective and reflectors are not everywhere.
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2019, 11:01 PM   #2984
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,373 Times in 463 Posts
Failed 57 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
(might not always be DOT stamped but honestly what difference does it make)
Funny enough... there's a pretty reputable lighting consultant locally named Daniel Stern.

According to his thoughts in this article: https://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/20...oem-headlamps/

Quote:
There is little or no real optical engineering behind any of the aftermarket lamps — they are headlamp-shaped toys made from physical copies of the originals, which is not even close to adequate. One might as well try to cast new working contact lenses from a mould of your originals and expect to be able to see when you put ’em in your eyes. Even basic, low-tech headlamps are more akin to optical instruments than to the lamp on your bedside table.

The level of shape accuracy required to accurately focus a headlight beam can only be achieved with precise optical engineering from scratch, using correct materials with tightly controlled manufacturing and quality control. All of those things are missing from the knockoffs, which don’t even begin to get in the ballpark. Light distribution is not what it should be, and often the DOT certification marks are fraudulent."
Biography:
Quote:
"Daniel Stern is the General Editor of DrivingVisionNews.com, the global automotive lighting industry journal He is a committee chair in the Society of Automotive Engineerings Lighting Systems Group, and participates in the research and development of Canadian, U.S., and international vehicle lighting technical standards and rules. Based in Vancouver, BC, Mr. Stern has written state and provincial vehicle lighting codes and inspection protocols, served as an expert witness in lawsuits related to vehicle lighting and been a product development manager for aftermarket vehicle lights."

Last edited by AstulzerRZD; 04-24-2019 at 11:15 PM.
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-24-2019, 11:31 PM   #2985

I meant the lens specifically. On some cars, you can replace just the lens. And if it's not DOT stamped, well, you cant run it in the case of an inspection. But it's literally just the lens.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
Old 04-24-2019, 11:49 PM   #2986

people don't give enough credit to reflector halogen headlamps...
i don't blame them though, because the American system (9004, 9007, H13, etc) is markedly inferior to the European system (H4/HB2/9003 [all the same bulb]), and the American system has been more prevalent here... because we're in North America.
Quote:
Each system has its advantages and disadvantages. The American system historically permitted a greater overall amount of light within the low beam, since the entire reflector and lens area is used, but at the same time, the American system has traditionally offered much less control over upward light that causes glare, and for that reason has been largely rejected outside the US. In addition, the American system makes it difficult to create markedly different low and high beam light distributions. The high beam is usually a rough copy of the low beam, shifted slightly upward and leftward. The European system traditionally produced low beams containing less overall light, because only 60% of the reflector's surface area is used to create the low beam. However, low beam focus and glare control are easier to achieve. In addition, the lower 40% of the reflector and lens are reserved for high beam formation, which facilitates the optimization of both low and high beams.
Thankfully, Canada allows E-code lamps. Example, if I drove an older car with sealed beams, I'd ditch them and go with European Hella,Bosch or Cibie lamps, or Japanese Koito or IPF lamps suitable for H4 bulbs (and right-hand traffic).

Also funny enough, Daniel Stern Lighting also produced this document for CVSE regarding vehicle lighting...
http://www.cvse.ca/vehicle_inspectio...g_Protocol.pdf
Once you get to the section regarding headlamps... you'll see that installing/retrofitting projectors is (unfortunately?) not an acceptable solution... not here anyway.

Quote:
I meant the lens specifically. On some cars, you can replace just the lens. And if it's not DOT stamped, well, you cant run it in the case of an inspection. But it's literally just the lens.
As long as the markings are present (DOT or SAE or ECE), you will be fine. Most models out there come with the markings on the headlamp lens. Some come with the markings on the housing. But, IMHO, if it is as such designed to allow replacement of the lens (is it plastic?) and you are afraid of losing the markings on the lens, you'll probably save a lot more work/hassle and some money by giving the faded/hazed lens a proper refinish/polish (recommend a 3M product or similar) and then spraying it with a anti-UV clear coat. My concern with a non-certified or non-OEM plastic headlamp lens is you don't know how long it will even last... Glass is another thing.

Last edited by coneZONE; 04-25-2019 at 12:06 AM.
coneZONE is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2019, 09:20 AM   #2987
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 91 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
IMO, a lot of cars getting VI'ed start from the noise first. It's the most noticeable thing that doesn't require a line of sight to detect.
Spoiler!
The second I hear a loud exhaust ripping down the street, my head whips around to see what it is. The same goes for a cop, except his reason is much more sinister.

Back in the day I ran one of these on my STi exhaust, plumbed right off the downpipe. When it was closed the exhaust went through the oem muffler.

When you're playing against the rules, it helps to be stealthy. Exhaust noise is the first thing that will get their attention.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikasaur View Post
Spoiler!

Agreed 100%
The cops are crossing the line with these VI's, and it's a shame.

Quote:

Take the point of view of a lawyer here.
The issue is that in the case of a lens being replaced, the whole unit has now been modified by someone who has not been approved to do these modifications. It puts the integrity and safety of the headlight in question. Just be happy that we can still do our own maintenance. The time will come where you won't be allowed to access your driveline unless you're a qualified technician. You are seeing it already with Teslas and some high end vehicles.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2019, 10:05 AM   #2988
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,727 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 211 Posts
Quote:
I'd love for the government to re-evaluate modifications that provide a greater benefit, such modifications would be brakes, suspension tuning, and lights. All of which can provide a greater benefit than OEM. There's the argument that can be made that a properly modified vehicle can get out of dangerous situations better than a stock car - simply because it is more capable. Like Speedstar, I think it's absolutely ridiculous the things they are saying contribute to fatal deaths.

I agree with you overall, but I don't think anyone's getting VI'ed for non-oem brakes or tires.

I'm playing devil's advocate here, but with better suspension and tuning, more aggressive camber, etc, does it really help you in the city, or on a race track? Or are people driving their car in the city, like they're on a race track?

It's not more dangerous in any way to have a properly modded car, but I can see VPD refuting that it offers any real benefit in daily commuting. In an emergency, most people slam on the brakes anyway, which upgrading brakes are not anything they have been giving VI's for. As for upgrading suspension, maybe lowering the car 1" would have helped someone weave around that much quicker, every bit can help, but I don't think VPD's going to be convinced. That's really something more for aesthetics or utilized on track.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:27 AM   #2989

Quote:
I agree with you overall, but I don't think anyone's getting VI'ed for non-oem brakes or tires.

No but based on the VSA update, it suggests that the overall view is moving towards mandating all upgrades through changing the status of the car to altered.

How will that affect resale value? Further how will that affect insurance? These are all questions we don't know. I just want to point out that I upgraded my car to be safer, so why do I have to incur higher insurance rates?

I understand that in another perspective you have idiots modifying with "dumb" intentions or they do it in a stupid way. RE: extreme camber.

also lol if they start VI-ing based on non-oem tires too lmfao
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2019, 11:12 AM   #2990

Quote:
also lol if they start VI-ing based on non-oem tires too lmfao
Well, it is quite close: the wheels, for example. Cops wrote not oem wheels on citations (even if fitting was withing the law). But if you think, what if my car is old, i damaged the wheel on a bump or it is cracked. Now question, do i buy brand new reliable wheels or fixing old one(and remember metal ages and weakens as well)? In case of cast wheels metal strength is compromised and it is not recommended to fix them. But cops here forcing us looking for OEM on used market with unknown history or fix old and weak rims. Basically forcing us to hunt down used tires that are not even manufactured anymore.

So it is not that far LOL
This post thanked by:
Old 04-25-2019, 11:18 AM   #2991
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,541 Times in 2,642 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
I'm playing devil's advocate here, but with better suspension and tuning, more aggressive camber, etc, does it really help you in the city, or on a race track? Or are people driving their car in the city, like they're on a race track?
A proper suspension upgrade will make a night and day difference in every kind of emergency manoeuvre situation. Factory suspensions are almost always tuned for street comfort (and who can blame the manufacturers for this?), and it manages weight transfer during emergency manoeuvre rather poorly. In the simplest case of slamming on your brakes, a soft factory suspension will cause the weight transfer to happen too quickly. The rear end gets light too soon, too fast, and the chances of the rear end stepping out / wiggling becomes noticeably higher. Add to the fact that the overwhelming majority of drivers haven't got the slightest clue that maximum braking only occurs when your steering wheel is straight, and you have a recipe for spin out / side swipes / loss of vehicle control.

A properly tuned, performance grade suspension cannot replace driver skills, but it does vastly improve the driver's ability to control the vehicle under pretty much every imaginable driving situation.

Excessive camber will reduce longitudinal traction between the tires and the ground. In layman's terms, it will hurt your straight line acceleration and braking. From my personal experience, however, there is no observable degradation in acceleration / braking performance until you start approaching -2° camber. I'd even go as far as to say that up to -2.5° camber, the performance drop off is small. And yet I bet certain VPD officers will not be happy to see wheels cambered at -2°.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2019, 08:27 AM   #2992
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexusxv View Post
Believe me, it has nothing to do with the halogen, actually hallogen is not bad as many people think. For example yellow light penetrate the fog and rain better and it is more easy on eyes. It is a light pattern bad on most of the cars (even new). Usually it is flat line, while euro light has a beam that goes up-right and capture more stuff on a right side and right headlight captures further then left. Here they are more symmetrical like bike headlight.

Also, forgot about local deadly sin: Road surface marking paint is not reflective and reflectors are not everywhere.
Yes, this. Lack of reflective road markings/cat-eyes is notable in and around Vancouver. Driving between Richmond and Vancouver one notably bad area is Russ-Baker, Richmond bound, around the left turn bays for Gilbert,heading towards the 2 road bridge. Multiple lanes that become virtually indistinguishable from another on rainy nights, with yellowish street lighting creating glare that makes road markings disappear. LOL, I sound like a grumpy old man. But very poor set up (maintenance?), should at the very least be cat-eyed and repainted yearly.
dtaygolf is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 04-26-2019, 08:49 AM   #2993
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikasaur View Post
1) My god some people here think their car is getting VIed for being too sexy?! Do people think when people look at their rusted straight piped civic with a giant wing and plastidipped wheels that its too sexy?! I'm so glad I found this forum.

2) "you mean they some" - engrish?

3) Judging by your last post about "asking for it" and "women dressing too sexy" - you are somehow equating women to being harassed or assaulted to be similar to illegally (some illegal, some stock, some inbetween) modified cars getting told it is unsafe or way too loud? So first we got a guy comparing VIs to hitler and the holocaust, now to women asking for it? Impressive.

4) Apparently some people need to be taught this. Yes revving it past a cop with rattle can, no cats, yellow headlights/fogs, and 45 degree stance wheels is asking for for a ticket or VI. NO it is NOT the same as women dressing too sexy?!?!?!?! WTF????????

5) Unbelievable.

Yah, ok. I was VI'd crawling through a intersection in a clean, mildly modified BRZ, just 1" lower with springs, no tint, stock rims(winters), and aftermarket exhaust. Driving like a saint , just trying to clear an intersection. This episode was witnessed by a member here, and can attest, I didn't do squat to attract attention...oh but wait...FRS/BRZ, club sticker, non-OEM exhaust tips, slightly more burble than stock, not sure how that would even be audibly perceptible at a very busy downtown intersection (Burrard & Robson), unless there was some profiling going on here, there is very bloody obviously some type of profiling of types of vehicles.

Last edited by dtaygolf; 04-26-2019 at 12:10 PM.
dtaygolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 06:29 PM   #2994

Failed 11 Times in 6 Posts
so are aftermarket rims illegal considered by vpd?
Oeks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:16 PM   #2995

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeks1 View Post
so are aftermarket rims illegal considered by vpd?
Yes, there's been numerous cases where "non-oem wheel" has been written on the VI

|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
Old 04-26-2019, 08:42 PM   #2996

Failed 11 Times in 6 Posts
I'm sure its addition to exhaust powered etc.
Wondering if anyone has gotten pulled in a stock car with aftermarket rims?
Oeks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 08:57 PM   #2997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeks1 View Post
I'm sure its addition to exhaust powered etc.
Wondering if anyone has gotten pulled in a stock car with aftermarket rims?

I gotta find it, but there was a 10th gen civic sport hatch that got VI'd for non-oem wheels (they were painted blue LOL) and I think it was lowered (?). It looked pretty much stock. I don't think exhaust was on it.
Old 04-29-2019, 07:44 AM   #2998
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

It looks like VPD is doubling down going into this summer.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/04...cessary-noise/
ARMAAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:40 AM   #2999
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,883 Times in 5,637 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
And yet every. single. day for 2 years the same janky ass Mustang rips full throttle by my office building in downtown booming and crackling and popping away as he lifts off... I can actually tell when it's 4pm without looking at a clock because he does it the exact same time every day... so ??? not sure what their prerogative is or why they think the Broadway and Kingsway areas are the ones to always be staking out.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 08:54 AM   #3000
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Failed 4 Times in 4 Posts
There are plenty of obnoxiously loud Harley Davidsons around but I won't hold my breath that police will ticket and issue VIs to them.

Also to say loud vehicles are a safety issue for pedestrians is a stretch. Appears to be a weak attempt to use safety as an excuse to crack down on loud vehicles.

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: