REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 05-14-2019, 01:55 PM   #3051
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,001 Posts
Failed 194 Times in 120 Posts
^^ I'm sure there must be some official report or how will people know how many murders or measles reports there are each year......
Advertisement
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 02:10 PM   #3052
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,849 Times in 3,915 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
thats what that ctv article already shows
Traum was trying to get a report of Cain & partner VI stats, which seems unrealistic
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-15-2019, 01:32 PM   #3053
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 18 Times in 5 Posts
Council approves pilot for 30 km/h limit on Vancouver streets

So may be it is a conspiracy to make Vanc no car city??
nexusxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 03:33 PM   #3054
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,915 Times in 7,398 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Most of those streets you can’t go over 35-40 anyways because of all the cars lining the street. I don’t find it that ridiculous.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-17-2019, 11:22 PM   #3055
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,883 Times in 5,637 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
So here's a new wrinkle on this shit for everyone... and I have seen the actual ticket so I know it's for real:

My buddy drove his friend's Jeep to the USA, when he came back he was still in USA lined up waiting to get to the border, had not crossed over to Canada yet, and a CBSA officer walking the lineup issued him a MVA ticket Section 4.25 for $109 for not having covers on the off-road LED lightbar mounted on the vehicle.

The ticket says RCMP Deas Island, but a CBSA officer issued it while he was still in the USA! The badge# is CBSA as well (6 digits) instead of RCMP (5 digits).

Needless to say he is disputing it. Since when do CBSA officers have the authority to issue RCMP tickets to cars that aren't even in the country yet???
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2019, 12:53 AM   #3056
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Failed 2 Times in 1 Post
This isnt the first time I've heard of cars getting ticketed at the crossing.

If you were actually on the other side of the 49th parallel marker it would be thrown out in court lol, where the inspection box is well within Canada
tokyoteleport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 01:42 AM   #3057
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,849 Times in 3,915 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
that's like being arrested by the cashier for shoplifting before you even left the premise for opening a drink in the store that you were gonna pay for anyways

but, why do people not drive their own vehicles into a foreign country? even if it has no relation to the ticket, seems like an invitation for getting bent over

which crossing was it? nexus or non-nexus?

Last edited by twitchyzero; 05-18-2019 at 01:48 AM.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 05:49 AM   #3058
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,081 Times in 2,097 Posts
Failed 215 Times in 113 Posts
The booth isn’t necessarily the line.. he could have technically been on Canadian soil. Also, is there really a difference if the border guard asked him to pull in after he had the conversation? In fact it probably saved him time since he was waiting anyway. They were doing him a polite favour! How Canadian!

For real though that sucks but man cover those damn LED bars. I give my buddies crap about it too. Such an easy thing to avoid getting ticketed for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2019, 06:19 AM   #3059
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,883 Times in 5,637 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
I don’t think driving a car that’s not yours is an issue? I used to drive my parents car over as a kid... lots of people don’t even own their own cars anymore... they didn’t say a word about that and wouldn’t have known it wasn’t his until the ticketing process started.

Nowhere is safe anymore... I believe it was Peace Arch cuz Deas Island RCMP only does Hwy 91/99.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:42 AM   #3060
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Failed 533 Times in 187 Posts
The entire having to have your lightbars covered is a crock of shit.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:04 AM   #3061
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
^ until some cock donkey is running a 52" bar driving through the middle of town. Nobody cared for ages until dipshits ruined it, much like everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
Since when do CBSA officers have the authority to issue RCMP tickets to cars that aren't even in the country yet???
The CBSA has always had more authority than the RCMP, they can do all the stuff the RCMP can do plus all their border stuff.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2019, 10:35 AM   #3062
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,893 Times in 1,001 Posts
Failed 194 Times in 120 Posts
What's the rules on light bars? I was planning to install 7" light bars as fogs. What if they are behind the bumper grill?
JDMDreams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 11:01 AM   #3063
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 41 Times in 12 Posts
Don't, unless you never plan on turning them on.

Given how police officers don't understand the MVA rules all that well, they can still issue a VI even if it's technically legal. Arguing with a police officer also doesn't end well most of the time.

So at best, you get caught and have to waste your time at a small claims court and at worst, you waste money and time for VI on some LED bars you can live without.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-18-2019, 01:41 PM   #3064
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Failed 533 Times in 187 Posts
If any light you have isn't DOT approved. Has to be covered.

They're rewriting the MVA in the Yukon here, and the shit they're proposing is essentially mirroring BC... Hopefully it doesn't pass as that's what I like about being up here; things are fairly reasonable.
Old 05-19-2019, 10:24 AM   #3065
private modder

Thanked 2,769 Times in 777 Posts
Failed 47 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
So here's a new wrinkle on this shit for everyone... and I have seen the actual ticket so I know it's for real:

My buddy drove his friend's Jeep to the USA, when he came back he was still in USA lined up waiting to get to the border, had not crossed over to Canada yet, and a CBSA officer walking the lineup issued him a MVA ticket Section 4.25 for $109 for not having covers on the off-road LED lightbar mounted on the vehicle.

The ticket says RCMP Deas Island, but a CBSA officer issued it while he was still in the USA! The badge# is CBSA as well (6 digits) instead of RCMP (5 digits).

Needless to say he is disputing it. Since when do CBSA officers have the authority to issue RCMP tickets to cars that aren't even in the country yet???
Ya, I think there are many chances this ticket will get tossed.

1. Was the ticket issued in USA or Canada? The booth location isn't the official border, you technically cross from USA to Canada on the drive up to the booths (assuming this was was at the Peace Arch). I would assume border guards are told on their first day exactly where the official border is, and where their jurisdiction ends. But I could be wrong!

2. The ticket says the issuing organization is Deas Island RCMP but the enforcing officer's number is a CBSA number. When the ticket ends up in ICBC's hands, they might cancel it right away for that reason. However, this is all part of the "shaded area" which doesn't always mean a ticket gets cancelled.

3. I think the most likely reason the ticket will be dismissed is because I don't believe CBSA officers have any power to enforce the Motor Vehicle Act. It's similar to impaired driving. CBSA officers cannot charge or issue any kind of driving prohibition under the BC MVA. They can stop and ask for a breath sample, but they have to call in a police officer to issue the tickets. And if it's clear they can't issue roadside driving prohibitions, they shouldn't be allowed to write tickets for vehicle infractions either.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 11:50 AM   #3066
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Signed up to share, as I am pretty new to the scene and within half a year got a VI...

I bought a used car with some aftermarket parts, exhaust, suspension and lowered to be specific. Got pulled over in Vancouver for the loud exhaust as I was going slightly faster to pass a slow moving truck. I saw that a blue Honda was being pulled over, possibly for the same thing as it looked modded as well.

Officer came up and asked me if I knew why I was being pulled over, and I told him I'm not sure (I wasn't aware of my car not being within regulations at the time) and he informed me of my loud exhaust, claiming he could hear me from two blocks away. I doubt it, as it is definitely not the loudest car out there, but told him I realized it was loud but it came with the car so I figured it'd be fine. I mean, who would sell me an illegal car, right?

Anyway, the cop (I wish I got his name) was nice enough to spend time explaining everything to me and tell me where to look up the CVSE website, the rules and licensed inspection shops.

Overall, it sucks...because I spent 3k getting stock exhaust installed...but it seems a bit over the top. Like I said, my car wasn't even that loud and my car ended up being well within limits of how low I can go, the suspension was fine too. I am very thankful that the officer was nice and understanding about my ignorance though and took the time to educate me.

Shit happens...even if it makes me very salty when I see other extremely loud and extra modded cars on the road :P
bluemithril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 12:46 PM   #3067
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Failed 6 Times in 3 Posts
i know this is for VPD but thought this was a funny police story. lol i have a friend in Calgary who got pulled over in his stock looking, slightly modded MR-S.

The cop proceeded to stick his knight stick into the exhaust and told him that it was illegal because it went straight in. he told the cop i don't think that's a law. then the cop told him to pop his hood, so he went and popped his frunk. haha the cop looked confused and said where the fuck is the engine! so he went to the back and lifted the engine lid.
All in all he didn't end up getting any sort of fine .
pintoBC_3sgte is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2019, 04:01 PM   #3068

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
If any light you have isn't DOT approved.
And located correctly and wired correctly, which almost nobody does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
3. I think the most likely reason the ticket will be dismissed is because I don't believe CBSA officers have any power to enforce the Motor Vehicle Act. It's similar to impaired driving. CBSA officers cannot charge or issue any kind of driving prohibition under the BC MVA. They can stop and ask for a breath sample, but they have to call in a police officer to issue the tickets. And if it's clear they can't issue roadside driving prohibitions, they shouldn't be allowed to write tickets for vehicle infractions either.
Based on what? The last time I went through the border the guys inside were talking about stopping some idiot who was not only drinking a bottle of vodka while driving through the border, but lied about the rest of the box of vodka in the passenger footwell.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 05-19-2019, 04:10 PM   #3069
private modder

Thanked 2,769 Times in 777 Posts
Failed 47 Times in 35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
And located correctly and wired correctly, which almost nobody does.

Based on what? The last time I went through the border the guys inside were talking about stopping some idiot who was not only drinking a bottle of vodka while driving through the border, but lied about the rest of the box of vodka in the passenger footwell.
It's all buried in the way the Criminal Code and Customs Act are written, what the CBSA can and cannot do.

Here's an article though that also references what I'm referring to:

Quote:
“CBSA officials have the ability to make a breath demand and detain an individual, where appropriate, as part of a Criminal Code of Canada investigation into impaired driving,” Supt. of Motor Vehicles Sam MacLeod, a former Mountie from Alberta, acknowledged in an emailed statement.

“However, CBSA officials do not have the authority to issue an Immediate Roadside Prohibition (IRP) under the Motor Vehicle Act. That is because, under the Motor Vehicle Act, the definition of ‘peace officers’ does not include CBSA officials.”
http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Mul...672/story.html

If this article is true, and CBSA can't issue an IRP, I can't see how they can issue a ticket for a violation of the MV regs.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-19-2019, 04:32 PM   #3070
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 14 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:

So if he went to dispute it in court, who would be the one to even show up? A CBSA officer, acting as an RCMP officer?
I think that'd get thrown out in 2 seconds.
mr00jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 08:00 PM   #3071

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
It's all buried in the way the Criminal Code and Customs Act are written, what the CBSA can and cannot do.

Here's an article though that also references what I'm referring to:

Ian Mulgrew: Judge criticizes standards of proof used for roadside prohibitions

If this article is true, and CBSA can't issue an IRP, I can't see how they can issue a ticket for a violation of the MV regs.
It sounds like they can do quite a bit though, just not the "immediate" part, which to me is a pretty specialized part of the MVA to begin with. The absolute last people I'd want to piss off are the border services though, so I wouldn't really be worrying about fighting the cheapest ticket for something that's illegal.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-21-2019, 11:20 AM   #3072
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Failed 26 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalis View Post
This car is a straight up menace. If you've seen Alex Choi's lambo breaking wine glasses with the backfire this car is on that level. Straight pipped with backfire tune that will knock the air out of your lungs. I've seen this guy going up and down Alberni making people jump.
I am used to backfires and exhausts but the rest of us that have no were near this level of loud exhaust will be forced to submit to officer Cain. What a world we live in.
Loudest car I've ever heard. And not in a good way.

Also, this Gallardo is the very reason they are cracking down on excessively loud exhausts. Ironic, given they can't issue a VI due to the car being registered out of the country.
Delatocious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:49 PM   #3073
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,828 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 370 Times in 115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemithril View Post
Signed up to share, as I am pretty new to the scene and within half a year got a VI...

I bought a used car with some aftermarket parts, exhaust, suspension and lowered to be specific. Got pulled over in Vancouver for the loud exhaust as I was going slightly faster to pass a slow moving truck. I saw that a blue Honda was being pulled over, possibly for the same thing as it looked modded as well.

Officer came up and asked me if I knew why I was being pulled over, and I told him I'm not sure (I wasn't aware of my car not being within regulations at the time) and he informed me of my loud exhaust, claiming he could hear me from two blocks away. I doubt it, as it is definitely not the loudest car out there, but told him I realized it was loud but it came with the car so I figured it'd be fine. I mean, who would sell me an illegal car, right?

Anyway, the cop (I wish I got his name) was nice enough to spend time explaining everything to me and tell me where to look up the CVSE website, the rules and licensed inspection shops.

Overall, it sucks...because I spent 3k getting stock exhaust installed...but it seems a bit over the top. Like I said, my car wasn't even that loud and my car ended up being well within limits of how low I can go, the suspension was fine too. I am very thankful that the officer was nice and understanding about my ignorance though and took the time to educate me.

Shit happens...even if it makes me very salty when I see other extremely loud and extra modded cars on the road :P
What are you driving that cost you 3k to install a stock exhaust??
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 05-21-2019, 02:15 PM   #3074
I STILL don't get it

Would an exhaust silencer make it quiet enough?
ssjGoku69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2019, 06:27 AM   #3075
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Are officers able to issue VIs to vehicles with temporary operating permits? I can't seem to find any information regarding that in the MVA or on CVSA website
Sprayed is offline   Reply With Quote