REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-27-2020, 08:31 AM   #4226
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
People are actually giving some random person money for possible costs that there isn't even an estimate for?

Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2020, 08:48 AM   #4227
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,712 Times in 1,583 Posts
Failed 163 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
People are actually giving some random person money for possible costs that there isn't even an estimate for?

Estimate is $5K for first case; $1K per person for following cases

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:52 AM   #4228
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
The last thing you should be doing is donating money to some stranger called the Hype Bunny that drives a VI machine and goes around every corner sideways in rush hour traffic.

He's not exactly a good poster child for the cause.
The GoFundMe is setup by Adam Blender (not the Hype Bunny). In the GoFundMe page there is just a link to the change petition started by Hype Bunny.

Quote:

Adam Blender started the GoFundMe and is one of the Admins of the Alive, Thrive & Survive - Enthusiasts Unite Facebook group. He shared the following video a few hours before he put the GoFundMe page up which clearly states an estimate of $5k but advising this is only a ballpark figure. Thats probably why the current target is $10k.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2587...0096284594721/

I'm not saying people should blindly give people money but just wanted to clear that up.
Twi7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2020, 08:55 AM   #4229
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,159 Times in 3,639 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
It's a dangerous game for BMW. I'd bet 1/3rd of their cars sales for the entire country are in the GVRD. They certainly don't want their current and future customers thinking they can't drive their cars here without police harassment.
It might be. But it’s not a Gvrd issue. It’s just the municipality of Vancouver.
Badhobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:01 AM   #4230

Thanked 4,129 Times in 1,289 Posts
Failed 297 Times in 125 Posts
If the car is stock and passed federal MVSR and tested according to its guidelines. Cain tickets means fuck all.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/acts-regula...-crc-c1038.htm

MVSR has a whole section on noise requirements
https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/...on-sched6.html

Quote:
(a) when tested in accordance with

(i) section 3 of Test Method 1106 — Noise Emission Tests (August 2005), the sound level does not exceed 83 dBA when a value of 2 dBA is subtracted from the reported vehicle sound level calculated in accordance with paragraph 3.3.3(c) of that Test Method, in the case of a bus with a GVWR of more than 4 536 kg,

(ii) SAE Standard J1470, Measurement of Noise Emitted by Accelerating Highway Vehicles (June 1998), the sound level does not exceed 83 dBA when a value of 2 dBA is subtracted from the final reported value referred to in section 6.3 of that Standard, in the case of a bus, multi-purpose passenger vehicle, truck or chassis-cab with a GVWR of more than 2 722 kg and not more than 4 536 kg,

(iii) SAE Standard J1470, Measurement of Noise Emitted by Accelerating Highway Vehicles (June 1998), the sound level does not exceed 80 dBA when a value of 2 dBA is subtracted from the final reported value referred to in section 6.3 of that Standard, in the case of a passenger car regardless of its GVWR or any other vehicle with a GVWR of 2 722 kg or less,
This link has SAE Standard J1470 https://wenku.baidu.com/view/6920a92...fcd220e06.html (below the red and green button there is a sentence that has "14" you can press that and keep reading)

Even the BC MVA says it needs to be tested at an inspection station.

Quote:
Vehicle noise
27 A motor vehicle shall be equipped with an exhaust muffler which complies with section 7.03 of the regulations.

The opinion of an inspector as to whether the engine and exhaust noise is greater than that made by other vehicles in good condition of comparable size, horsepower, piston displacement or compression ratio shall determine whether exhaust gases are expelled with excessive noise.

When tested in an inspection station, the vehicle engine, any auxiliary engine and exhaust level shall not exceed Table 3 standards.

[en. B.C. Reg. 658/76, s. 2.]

Table 3

[am. B.C. Reg. 656/76, s. 2.]

Class of Vehicle Maximum Allowable
Sound Pressure Level
DBA
Light duty 83
Gasoline-driven heavy duty 88
Motorcycles 91
Diesel-driven heavy duty 93

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you

Last edited by yray; 02-27-2020 at 09:21 AM.
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:20 AM   #4231
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,849 Times in 3,915 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
press M4 had ON plates? so now we have confirmation they VI OoP vehicles?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:24 AM   #4232
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,752 Times in 1,725 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 63 Posts
M4 Press car has BC plates

I asked him to do the soundcheck on his bike, it registered at 92.5 or so dB so technically their bikes needs to be VI?
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:27 AM   #4233

Thanked 5,225 Times in 1,389 Posts
Failed 376 Times in 130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
press M4 had ON plates? so now we have confirmation they VI OoP vehicles?
Wasn't this confirmed ages ago when they VI'd a WA-plated S13?
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:50 AM   #4234
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Failed 214 Times in 74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSALES View Post
A member on the alive, thrive and survive fb group spoke to a lawyer and said you legally don’t have to rev your engine for the dB test. The officer needs a warrant to do that but at least you won’t get a ticket for unnecessary noise. The officer will still probably give you a VI for not complying if you decide to make that decision
They don't actually have to db test it to give a VI. They don't need any reason at all. Something looks or sounds different and boom here's a VI. "I'm not the expert so I'll have the experts do it. No you can't dispute it. Yes you have to pay for it. No you won't be reimbursed if you pass. No you can't insure your vehicle if you don't get the inspection done. Do you prefer silicone or water based lube?"

Berz out.
Old 02-27-2020, 10:06 AM   #4235
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
got a unnecessary noise violation ticket the other day by officer Bercic in a stock 2019 X3 m40i. thought I was getting pulled over for tinted front windows, being a Harley rider as well, never would of thought my stock suv would be getting a noise ticket. looked in and asked if I was in sport mode, had to say yes as it was on the dash. he said that was illegal in Vancouver. proceeded to do an rpm test with db meter in both comfort and sport mode. I thought this was just a lesson learned, here is a warning so went along with it. then comes back with a ticket. clean driving record, never a VI or noise ticket let alone a speeding in 15 years. what the hell, going to fight it and see.
pardus is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2020, 10:23 AM   #4236
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,915 Times in 7,398 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badhobz View Post
It might be. But it’s not a Gvrd issue. It’s just the municipality of Vancouver.
Right because people that live in the GVRD just don’t drive, work, or do anything in Vancouver.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2020, 10:24 AM   #4237
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardus View Post
got a unnecessary noise violation ticket the other day by officer Bercic in a stock 2019 X3 m40i. thought I was getting pulled over for tinted front windows, being a Harley rider as well, never would of thought my stock suv would be getting a noise ticket. looked in and asked if I was in sport mode, had to say yes as it was on the dash. he said that was illegal in Vancouver. proceeded to do an rpm test with db meter in both comfort and sport mode. I thought this was just a lesson learned, here is a warning so went along with it. then comes back with a ticket. clean driving record, never a VI or noise ticket let alone a speeding in 15 years. what the hell, going to fight it and see.
Exact same story as me, I complied because I thought it was going to end with a warning and "stay out of sport mode" but I was wrong. If I was let off with a warning I would have listened to him and not gone in sport mode anymore in the city... I had no idea it would result in a ticket of sorts, I've already filed a notice of dispute so we'll see how it goes.
Snip3r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2020, 10:28 AM   #4238
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip3r View Post
Exact same story as me, I complied because I thought it was going to end with a warning and "stay out of sport mode" but I was wrong. If I was let off with a warning I would have listened to him and not gone in sport mode anymore in the city... I had no idea it would result in a ticket of sorts, I've already filed a notice of dispute so we'll see how it goes.
let me know how it goes, holding off disputing for a couple weeks to try and learn from others and if anything can beat it.
pardus is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2020, 10:32 AM   #4239

Quote:
let me know how it goes, holding off disputing for a couple weeks to try and learn from others and if anything can beat it.
I won't have a court date for a few months. Just file your dispute, worst case scenario you have to pay it.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2020, 11:16 AM   #4240
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,752 Times in 1,725 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 63 Posts
Edited
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2020, 11:32 AM   #4241
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Failed 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
On top of that cars having them turn off with the handbrake up is new to me (mine come on when you drop it down but then they stay on til the car is turned off) but I could see why it would cause confusion when pulled over.
My manual cars actually stayed on until the ignition was turned off. However, on my automatic cars, they turn off when I activate the handbrake.

Don't know if that's still the case on new manuals as I haven't had one in a while.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2020, 11:38 AM   #4242

Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
Update from Brian Jessel BMW

"We are sorry to hear about your experience with the VPD however the press car your are enjoying is in fact STOCK and we'll provide the documentation needed to prove that fact to the VPD"
Just make sure they indicate that it passes MVA regs in BC as well.

It happened to me in my Mazda6. I got a ticket for front window tint because of the factory green tint all cars have. Mazda gave me a letter indicating the car meets all transport Canada regs and the officer told me that don't mean anything to him because it's not stating that it's legal for BC MVA.

Luckily, he brought his supervisor with him who went and gave him a lesson on how to inspect for aftermarket window tint and determined my vehicle was compliant and didn't need or care about the letter that I got from Mazda and then cancelled my ticket.
Old 02-27-2020, 11:40 AM   #4243

Quote:
Dispute it regardless. It'll probably be a year before you actually go to court. During that time, just watch to see if there's any developments. If somehow those officers were deemed to be giving unjust tickets and are reprimanded, then that is all the evidence you probably need to throw out the ticket.

A lot can happen in a year.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2020, 11:42 AM   #4244
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,849 Times in 3,915 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
Wasn't this confirmed ages ago when they VI'd a WA-plated S13?
I wasn’t aware of this
I take it it was absolutely slammed to the ground/obviously modified etc and not stock/oem+
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2020, 12:34 PM   #4245
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,541 Times in 2,642 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
[deleted]
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 12:41 PM   #4246
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
Failed 37 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSALES View Post
A member on the alive, thrive and survive fb group spoke to a lawyer and said you legally don’t have to rev your engine for the dB test. The officer needs a warrant to do that but at least you won’t get a ticket for unnecessary noise. The officer will still probably give you a VI for not complying if you decide to make that decision
Just out of curiosity did they specify what kind of law that lawyer practiced?

Not saying this whole V.I. fiasco is right however...

From what I can read online, part of the process for testing the decibel level of an exhaust is to rev the car up to 50-70% of it's safe rpm range. So being directed to rev the vehicle to 3000 rpm seems reasonable.

If you fail to do as the officer directs in the course of his investigation/duties would that person not be arrestable for obstruction? Specifically subsection (a)??

Quote:
129 Every one who

(a) resists or wilfully obstructs a public officer or peace officer in the execution of his duty or any person lawfully acting in aid of such an officer,

(b) omits, without reasonable excuse, to assist a public officer or peace officer in the execution of his duty in arresting a person or in preserving the peace, after having reasonable notice that he is required to do so, or

(c) resists or wilfully obstructs any person in the lawful execution of a process against lands or goods or in making a lawful distress or seizure,

is guilty of

(d) an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years, or

(e) an offence punishable on summary conviction.
I suppose that you could refuse to comply. It's simply me playing devil's advocate.

As for a warrant? They probably wouldn't be very hard to get for the vehicle.

I guess "if" someone wanted to go down that road they could...
-arrest the driver for obstruction;
-seize the vehicle in question;
-hold the vehicle for an undetermined amount of time while the warrant is being obtained/completed/sworn;
-have the vehicle held for mechanical inspection;
-confirm that the vehicle exhaust exceeds the decibel level in the BC mva;
-forward charges of obstruction and write a ticket for the decibel level anyways.......

I wouldn't trust advice from a lawyer unless I'd have spoken to them myself.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2020, 01:15 PM   #4247
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Thanked 3,180 Times in 623 Posts
Failed 97 Times in 30 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
Update from Brian Jessel BMW

"We are sorry to hear about your experience with the VPD however the press car your are enjoying is in fact STOCK and we'll provide the documentation needed to prove that fact to the VPD"
Its good that they're going to provide documentation to prove that the press car is stock, but it would be even better if they can push for the higher ups for an investigation into power abuse or poorly trained officers giving VIs.

Brian Jessel is not the only ones affected in this case, but they're probably one of the few companies large enough to make a difference in this case, if they wanted to. If Brian Jessel can contact BMW Canada to escalate this, they may be able to put a stop to the VIs for stock (BMW) vehicles.

This whole case has turned from giving VI to heavily modified vehicles, to slightly modified vehicles, and now that most of those cars are off the roads, they have started turning to completely stock vehicles with loud factory exhausts. I no longer drive in Sport/Sport+ in the city of Vancouver. Shitty as it is, I'd rather avoid getting pulled over then spending my time to fight any tickets/notices. I'm just hoping that I don't get pulled over in comfort mode and made to rev my exhaust in sport mode or some bs like that.

-2018 BMW F30 340i M Performance Edition - Current
-2016 BMW F32 435i MPPK - Traded
-2011 BMW E92 335i - SOLD
-2009 Chrysler Sebring Convertible - SOLD
xXSupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:26 PM   #4248
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Failed 214 Times in 74 Posts
Why is everyone driving in Sport mode in the city anyways? Genuinely curious as I don't know what the difference is over the other modes.

I'm so glad I got to live and participate in the Robson Street cruising days. Those days will never happen again.

Berz out.
Old 02-27-2020, 01:36 PM   #4249

I just got off the phone with Audi Canada. I emailed them the other day asking for a letter stating my car is in fact in compliance with Transport Canada's standards and regulations. I let them know that in Vancouver many stock cars (of all makes and models) are getting pulled over by the VPD and issues unnecessary noise tickets or VI's. They were very interested in hearing that and will be calling me back in a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
Why is everyone driving in Sport mode in the city anyways? Genuinely curious as I don't know what the difference is over the other modes.
For me it depends on if I need to move through heavy traffic or change lanes quickly. The throttle is much more responsive in sport mode making my actions easier. The other thing is if I want to drive using my paddle shifters I believe it automatically changes to sport mode. Coming from driving a 6MT I miss shifting, so at least the paddles give me a bit of that.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2020, 01:39 PM   #4250
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 35 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post

I'm so glad I got to live and participate in the Robson Street cruising days. Those days will never happen again.

Berz out.
windows down, tunes turned up, plate rattling from the subs in the trunk, yeah i remember those days.
dorian is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: