REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 12-28-2018, 12:02 PM   #1376
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 98 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
please try that
they'll have your plate number so i hope it turns into civil forfeiture so you'll lose your fart can Civic for good
Not if you start running a permit and not displaying. Or just not run plates at all. Anyway, none of this even applies to me. I drive a stock Smart Car.
Advertisement
yourself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:20 PM   #1377
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,561 Times in 514 Posts
Failed 60 Times in 33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
Not if you start running a permit and not displaying. Or just not run plates at all. Anyway, none of this even applies to me. I drive a stock Smart Car.
Car thieves have been doing this for years and still barely get caught. Most of the time its to much of a danger to the public to pursue a high speed chase in the city.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2018, 12:39 PM   #1378

RCMP have a no pursuit policy due to both fleeing cars and PC’s crashing into people and killing them.

https://www.merrittherald.com/new-ru...n-on-pursuits/

I believe VPD and most municipal forces call it off after a certain threshold as well.
Old 12-28-2018, 12:43 PM   #1379

TL;DR Per above article

“He recalls seeing an interview with a Surrey constable who was in the secondary vehicle involved in a pursuit of a 17-year-old male driving a stolen Jeep Grand Cherokee.
The youth led the police all over Surrey, into a rural area and finally back on the freeway heading towards the Port Mann Bridge. The constable overtook the primary police car, and travelling at about 120 kilometres per hour, rammed the Cherokee off the road. The young man died when he was ejected from the Jeep.
“So the constable from Surrey was saying, ‘What did we accomplish here?’ Stolen vehicle. Great. It’s smashed. The diver’s dead and he (constable) and the other constables that were involved in this pursuit are emotionally upset. He said he’s scarred for life.
“How he ended the interview, he was saying we’re all losers. Everybody lost. And that’s what this (legislation) is trying to stop – that we’re going to pursue this vehicle at all costs and we’re going to stop it no matter how we do it.”
Old 12-28-2018, 06:18 PM   #1380
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 16 Times in 5 Posts
Need some clarification. From what I'm reading on the MVA reg, I cant be issued a VI if I'm on a Temp operating permit?
PLUJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 06:57 PM   #1381
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
Failed 33 Times in 24 Posts
you can, since it's issued to the vehicle not the driver or the license plate. or that is my understanding of it.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:05 PM   #1382
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 16 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Vehicles operating under a Non-Resident permit (Section 6(7) of the CTA) or a Temporary Operating Permit (Division 14 of the MVAR)
CVSE - VIP eForm System - Known Issues

That's what I thought at first too, but I found this point under "Vehicles Excluded from the Vehicle Inspection Program".
PLUJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 07:59 PM   #1383
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,849 Times in 3,915 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
Quote:
RCMP have a no pursuit policy due to both fleeing cars and PC’s crashing into people and killing them.
most air pursuits in the daytime are done without your knowledge...only when stationary with your windows down might you actually hear its rotors

really, there's no point running, esp with traffic/dash cams around
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-28-2018, 08:15 PM   #1384

Quote:
most air pursuits in the daytime are done without your knowledge...only when stationary with your windows down might you actually hear its rotors

really, there's no point running, esp with traffic/dash cams around

The odds are with you. A quick look in the sky, and you’re good. They are so short staffed as it is. That helicopter is shared by all police forces.

It’s rare to see Air 1 out patrolling unless its a weekend where people are out and about.

If they are up, it would be odd that they would be using a 3.5 million dollar helicopter, that costs 2 million dollars per year to keep running, specifically for traffic duties.

Unless you are running for a good reason to the Sgt in charge, they will call off the pursuit.

Issuing a traffic violation ticket, or a VI is not usually a good enough reason alone.

Even if they do get your plate and come to your house to arrest you, good luck for them proving in court who was driving.
Old 12-28-2018, 08:39 PM   #1385

unless they happen to be refueling, or you're in Abby and it's still in Whistler, i think you can expect one within minutes (if you run off without plates)...you're deemed a threat to public safety
Old 12-28-2018, 09:10 PM   #1386

Quote:
...you're deemed a threat to public safety
I feel as though this is how Traffic Officers view modified cars today.
Old 12-29-2018, 05:47 AM   #1387
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,727 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 211 Posts
Quote:
TL;DR Per above article

“He recalls seeing an interview with a Surrey constable who was in the secondary vehicle involved in a pursuit of a 17-year-old male driving a stolen Jeep Grand Cherokee.
The youth led the police all over Surrey, into a rural area and finally back on the freeway heading towards the Port Mann Bridge. The constable overtook the primary police car, and travelling at about 120 kilometres per hour, rammed the Cherokee off the road. The young man died when he was ejected from the Jeep.
“So the constable from Surrey was saying, ‘What did we accomplish here?’ Stolen vehicle. Great. It’s smashed. The diver’s dead and he (constable) and the other constables that were involved in this pursuit are emotionally upset. He said he’s scarred for life.
“How he ended the interview, he was saying we’re all losers. Everybody lost. And that’s what this (legislation) is trying to stop – that we’re going to pursue this vehicle at all costs and we’re going to stop it no matter how we do it.”

It's very unfortunate, and yes, in a sense, no one wins.
But I feel sad for the constables involved, yet don't really feel much for the idiot that decided it was a good idea to steal a car, and then try to flee from the police.

Maybe the real lesson here is, don't steal cars, don't flee, and buckle up.

I don't know,... just my perspective on it.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2018, 12:31 PM   #1388

payout on the Jeep Cherokee for the rightful owner was the only win
a blessing in disguise
Old 12-29-2018, 03:32 PM   #1389
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Few questions for you all:

1) Are engine modifications allowed? I couldn't locate it on the MVA document using a few keywords (engine modification, alteration, engine swap, displacement increase...etc).
http://www.bclaws.ca/civix/document/...bc/26_58_multi

2) For those of you who got your vehicle inspected at the dealership, did you put all the stock parts back to the vehicle prior to the inspection? Or you left the aftermarket parts on?

Vehicle is lower with coilovers but meets the following requirement:

- Headlight higher than 56cm (per clause 4.05)
- A motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 4 500 kg must have a minimum clearance for all parts of it, other than the wheels in contact with the level roadway, that is no lower than the lowest point on the rim of any wheel in contact with the roadway (per clause 7.091)
- The caster, camber or toe-in of a vehicle shall not be out of adjustment to the extent that it is apparent visually. <-- Is this subjective?

3) The inspector or mechanic who inspect the vehicle, how do they determine pass or fail? Any particular standard or measurements they are using? Are they using these two forms?

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/vehicle...pdf/mv3199.pdf
www.th.gov.bc.ca/forms/getFile.aspx?formId=1146

Anyone here apply this before? If yes, mind sharing your experience? Does this work for any vehicle?
https://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registr...-vehicles.aspx

Thanks!
TOMEI-RB26DETT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 04:01 PM   #1390

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMEI-RB26DETT View Post

1) Are engine modifications allowed? I couldn't locate it on the MVA document using a few keywords (engine modification, alteration, engine swap, displacement increase...etc).

2) For those of you who got your vehicle inspected at the dealership, did you put all the stock parts back to the vehicle prior to the inspection? Or you left the aftermarket parts on?

Vehicle is lower with coilovers but meets the following requirement:

- Headlight higher than 56cm (per clause 4.05)
- A motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 4 500 kg must have a minimum clearance for all parts of it, other than the wheels in contact with the level roadway, that is no lower than the lowest point on the rim of any wheel in contact with the roadway (per clause 7.091)
- The caster, camber or toe-in of a vehicle shall not be out of adjustment to the extent that it is apparent visually. <-- Is this subjective?

3) The inspector or mechanic who inspect the vehicle, how do they determine pass or fail? Any particular standard or measurements they are using? Are they using these two forms?

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/vehicle...pdf/mv3199.pdf
www.th.gov.bc.ca/forms/getFile.aspx?formId=1146

Anyone here apply this before? If yes, mind sharing your experience? Does this work for any vehicle?
https://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registr...-vehicles.aspx

Thanks!
To answer your questions:

None of this is legal. They will be happy to give you a VI.

Either offer to have sex with one of their wives while they watch, or get your tight little cornhole ready for the pounding of its, up till now, one tasked life.

Good luck.
This post thanked by:
Old 12-29-2018, 04:03 PM   #1391
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOMEI-RB26DETT View Post

Yes, you are allowed to modify your vehicle. If you weren't allowed to modify your vehicle, there would be specific laws against it. There is actually a specific ICBC title classification for modified vehicles, https://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registr...-vehicles.aspx

I have been preaching this title change as a step in due process to help prevent getting a VI, nobody has spoke up about doing this though. Its not going to prevent you from getting a VI, but it should act as proof your car is safe.
coupelove is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2019, 09:41 AM   #1392
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

So, they are still going after modified cars. Saw a modified FR-S at Victoria and 40th pulled over by an unmarked SUV yesterday evening.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 10:10 AM   #1393
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 3,023 Times in 787 Posts
Failed 90 Times in 38 Posts
Saw a lowered Mk4 Jetta on Kingsway and Victoria pulled over yesterday by a dark unmarked SUV as well. Probably the infamous Cain? Car looked pretty much stock except there was little to no wheel gap.
Old 01-04-2019, 10:57 AM   #1394
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,858 Times in 3,883 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
I haven’t driven into Vancouver (from richmond) since October. That city has nothing to offer me, and clearly doesn’t want me
Old 01-04-2019, 12:01 PM   #1395
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Failed 126 Times in 19 Posts
noob question:

what happens when you get a VI? let's say car is lowered half an inch and has an axle back exhaust. To pass the VI the car has to go back to OEM height and have OEM exhaust?
ursher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 12:04 PM   #1396
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,712 Times in 1,583 Posts
Failed 163 Times in 62 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursher View Post
noob question:

what happens when you get a VI? let's say car is lowered half an inch and has an axle back exhaust. To pass the VI the car has to go back to OEM height and have OEM exhaust?
Noob question indeed. That's exactly what needs to happen. The car needs to go back to OEM specification. Tho I think the muffler, as long as the diameter of the tips are the same, you should be ok.

When I have some time, I'll create a FAQ here.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
|| RIP 02 E46 M3 | Carbon Black | 6MT ||
BIC_BAWS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-04-2019, 12:41 PM   #1397

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
I haven’t driven into Vancouver (from richmond) since October. That city has nothing to offer me, and clearly doesn’t want me
Funny how I used to avoid Richmond when I had a modified car.
I remember having to honk at two VPD motorcycle cops to move out of the way so I can get into my driveway and they didn't even bat an eye at my Civic which was lowered and had catback exhaust that was really loud (just to name a few things).
They were hiding at the entrance to my driveway to catch speeders and just moved away to let me in.

It was actually Richmond RCMP that gave me a ticket for front tint (which my car didn't have and the officer just didn't understand green tint is how all cars come from the factory).
Old 01-04-2019, 01:55 PM   #1398
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,517 Times in 553 Posts
Failed 319 Times in 66 Posts
I wonder if these officers have a baseline to determine which cars to VI? Is it safe to assume you're fucked even if you're ever so lowered and have an quiet exhaust? Are these guys putting all modified vehicles under one category? There's definitely cars that deserve VI's, but there are plenty of cars that do not violate the MVA..

Exhibit #1

I'd say car this is pretty tamed in terms of modifications..

Exhibit #2

Compared to this car, it's stretching it (literally..)

Last edited by RevYouUp; 01-04-2019 at 02:02 PM.
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:09 PM   #1399
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
Failed 25 Times in 12 Posts
^
|

Both get VI's
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 02:34 PM   #1400

I really wish they would actually just look for cars without headlights on at night instead of stopping these cars for VI's. Of course, I have no idea whether they are doing this or not, but they seem too busy dealing with VI's probably to do other stuff.

Every day now, I will see at least one idiot driving with just his DRLs on. Many times, it will be more than one.
This post thanked by: