REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #1701
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,418 Times in 863 Posts
Failed 36 Times in 32 Posts
Joonz, you are the hero Vancouver needs.

I will contribute as well. Please leave car completely as is when it was pulled over for the VI and have it inspected by Toyota.
Advertisement
Old 01-14-2019, 04:28 PM   #1702
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
Joonz, you are the hero Vancouver needs.

I will contribute as well. Please leave car completely as is when it was pulled over for the VI and have it inspected by Toyota.
I'll chip in $20 as well. Fuck Derek Cain

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Twi7ch is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2019, 04:30 PM   #1703
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,849 Times in 3,915 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
vpd traffic desk

twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:00 PM   #1704
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,452 Times in 1,028 Posts
Failed 263 Times in 82 Posts
Just something to look into about that FRS. The Valenti's are potentially not road legal if they are the first gens (with no side reflectors). The 2nd gens had them. If the tail lights have the reflectors and exhaust is only a Perrin CB. There should be no reason for it to fail as is.

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:22 PM   #1705
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 98 Times in 21 Posts
Joon, I’ll pay for your inspection fully if you leave it as is and go to toyota. Pm me for e transfer info.
yourself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 05:56 PM   #1706

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hey all, I'm back home and here's the VI notice like I said I would show as proof. Things blacked out are my name, address, and license plate number.

https://imgur.com/a/ROAkaxx

email for e-transfer info is **PM ME FOR EMAIL FOR DONATIONS** ** I WILL UPDATE IF yourself FOLLOWS UP ON PAYING MY INSPECTION FULLY, DO NOT SEND ME MONEY RIGHT NOW AS I WILL REJECT IT.**

I will be leaving the car as is when I bring it in to Toyota for an inspection THIS FRIDAY. The tailllights are DOT compliant so I'm not afraid about those.

Thank you all for the support, I'll do everything I can to see this through to the end properly.

Last edited by joonzn6; 01-14-2019 at 08:11 PM.
joonzn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 06:48 PM   #1707
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Failed 187 Times in 28 Posts
I'll donate for a good cause^
s300ae is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2019, 07:19 PM   #1708
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,418 Times in 863 Posts
Failed 36 Times in 32 Posts
Please don't change a single thing. Even if it was not an issue on the notice, the best evidence for us is to pass inspection with a car that is exactly as it was when it was issued the VI.

We don't need Cain & co. to discredit your inspection due to that - wouldn't put it past them since they've evidently been fit to make up their own version of the MVA.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:21 PM   #1709
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 12 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
Please don't change a single thing. Even if it was not an issue on the notice, the best evidence for us is to pass inspection with a car that is exactly as it was when it was issued the VI.

We don't need Cain & co. to discredit your inspection due to that - wouldn't put it past them since they've evidently been fit to make up their own version of the MVA.
Agreed, keep in mind that this forum is open to public, meaning Cain & Co has access in seeing this as well... Leave it the way it is until inspection is passed (to prove a point).
DaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2019, 07:23 PM   #1710

Quote:
Originally Posted by s300ae View Post
I'll donate for a good cause^
Hey, it would be appreciated but it's fine honestly, put the money somewhere else that could be much more needed.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:27 PM   #1711
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,915 Times in 7,398 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
If anything is changed it negates the point. Definitely leave as is.
Yourself if you go through with paying for the whole thing I’d like to either send you some money, some beer, or some cured meats.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2019, 08:01 PM   #1712

Also just made a post on instagram concerning my exhaust start-up and idle noise.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BspDK5Inrd2/

Will try and get clips of a newer R8 and Lotus Evora tomorrow.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2019, 08:42 PM   #1713
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Semi serious question. Would this pass a Cain VI test of 1.25" from tire to fender ?
Attached Images
File Type: png IMG_6180.PNG (233.4 KB, 0 views)
Prostrho is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2019, 09:17 PM   #1714
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prostrho View Post
Semi serious question. Would this pass a Cain VI test of 1.25" from tire to fender ?
I raise you this 2000 Honda Insight because 10/10 he wouldn't bat an eye.

jdmfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2019, 09:48 PM   #1715
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,727 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joonzn6 View Post
Update!
I went to Lotus Vancouver just now during lunch and spoke with Mike, since he remembers me from 4-5 months ago when I bought the car. Explained the whole VI situation with him which he thinks is bullshit as the Lotus right next to us cold starts and is 2x louder than my car. He still has my OEM exhaust! and will be bringing it to my workplace later today and hopefully one of our techs can help install it on my vehicle before inspection on friday. did not ask him about paying for the inspection but I think this is enough.
Just curious, the aftermarket exhaust was already installed on the car from the previous owner? How did the dealer end up with the oem exhaust? Or did the previous seller trade the car in and threw in the oem exhaust as well?
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2019, 09:59 PM   #1716
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,849 Times in 3,915 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
not driving into Vancouver
the woodgrain hides the rust well though

twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:59 PM   #1717

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Just curious, the aftermarket exhaust was already installed on the car from the previous owner? How did the dealer end up with the oem exhaust? Or did the previous seller trade the car in and threw in the oem exhaust as well?
Previous owner provided it uon trading it in most likely. The new owner didn’t receive it because typical dealership forget about everything after the papers are signed.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2019, 10:08 PM   #1718

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
Previous owner provided it uon trading it in most likely. The new owner didn’t receive it because typical dealership forget about everything after the papers are signed.
Correct, previous owner gave everything he had OEM and replaced to the dealership. When I got the car at Lotus it was a very lighthearted atmosphere, so I joked with Mike about wanting that OEM exhaust too and he just said, "Haha, why would you even?" well, turns out that I could need it back now because of this whole situation...
This post thanked by:
Old 01-14-2019, 10:55 PM   #1719

Mike should pay for this honestly. Give him a call tomorrow and mention it is going in Friday. This is his responsibility. If he says no, I will assist you in contacting the VSA and we can go ahead with the previous plan.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:47 AM   #1720
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
I’m in for $20 too pending the car stays the way it is, and this is somehow used in defence in the media etc.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2019, 07:57 AM   #1721
I am Hook'd on RS

Thanks for waiting for the video folks. I just didn't know what to say.

I'm up to donate $20 too. Leave the car stock man!
sporadicMotion is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2019, 08:11 AM   #1722

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
Mike should pay for this honestly. Give him a call tomorrow and mention it is going in Friday. This is his responsibility. If he says no, I will assist you in contacting the VSA and we can go ahead with the previous plan.
I don't want to blame Mike too much for this seeing as he disclosed the modifications that have happened to the vehicle before I purchased it. Neither of us would've thought that 5 months ago this car in the state that it's in would be pulled over and VI'ed by the police.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2019, 09:33 AM   #1723
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 12 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joonzn6 View Post
I don't want to blame Mike too much for this seeing as he disclosed the modifications that have happened to the vehicle before I purchased it. Neither of us would've thought that 5 months ago this car in the state that it's in would be pulled over and VI'ed by the police.
Good intentions. The bigger picture, if you had dealership pay for VI is that it will get dealerships involved in this whole VI situation. If theyre selling a bunch of "non-road legal" vehicles and everyone is asking for a refund on purchase of car or payment for VI, this will inevitably affect their business as it drives up their costs in sourcing OEM parts and paying for VI. This may result in dealerships complaining in regards to Cain, if you inform them of the situation of course, or the loopholes in the law. But again, this requires everyone to do this in order to have an actual impact on the dealerships since one VI fee reimbursement will be seen as a one the fee.

Also, i doubt Mike would get affected since at the end of the day he is a sales. Having would of mouth from a dealership could affect the situation greatly.
ButterFingers is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2019, 09:44 AM   #1724

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterFingers View Post
Good intentions. The bigger picture, if you had dealership pay for VI is that it will get dealerships involved in this whole VI situation. If theyre selling a bunch of "non-road legal" vehicles and everyone is asking for a refund on purchase of car or payment for VI, this will inevitably affect their business as it drives up their costs in sourcing OEM parts and paying for VI. This may result in dealerships complaining in regards to Cain, if you inform them of the situation of course, or the loopholes in the law. But again, this requires everyone to do this in order to have an actual impact on the dealerships since one VI fee reimbursement will be seen as a one the fee.

Also, i doubt Mike would get affected since at the end of the day he is a sales. Having would of mouth from a dealership could affect the situation greatly.
All your points are valid, in the bigger picture it would be a good thing to try and get dealerships involved in this. I'll be talking to Mike again during lunch today and we'll see if we can strike a deal since he's been more than understanding with this whole ordeal. Hopefully word spreads around and the dealerships see this as a threat to their profit margins, no matter how small it could be.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2019, 10:00 AM   #1725
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

I was pulled over Sunday morning by officer Cain (at the time, I didn't know it was him, nor did I know who he was--someone I know directed me to this thread and I put 2 and 2 together).

He told me the reason for pulling me over was "excessive noise".

He did a dB reading of my exhaust (BBi centre muffler bypass), which was 96dB at idle (with the valves closed).

I was completely taken aback when he told me the legal limit in BC is 83dB, as I've been oblivious to these laws until recently.

We spoke at length about why they are enforcing this, who they are targeting, etc. Yes, the laws are ridiculous. No, it makes NO sense that a stock car can be ticketed if the exhaust is over the legal limit at idle.

But you can't fight fire with fire. Obviously the way some people have been handling the situation has resulted in a full-blown attack against car enthusiasts (in visibly or audibly modified cars). The VPD is not responsible for making the laws, they're simply responsible for upholding them.

He did tell me he was the officer whom everyone was harassing online. He told me he's just doing his job and some people are taking things too far.

I was let go without receiving a ticket.

Why?

Most likely because I remained calm, I was respectful, and I engaged with the officer in a polite manner. I tend to be a hot head, especially against authority, so I could've easily gone the other route, one which would have all but guaranteed I would receive a ticket.

I certainly feel for the kids with modified cars they've spent countless hours and dollars building. It's definitely not fair how you are being targeted. It can't be a good feeling going out for a drive and in the back of your mind wondering if and when you're going to be pulled over and receive a VI. But for the sake of every other enthusiast in the city, please do not lose your cool when dealing with these officers. It's ruining it for the rest of us.

Last edited by GT3RS; 01-15-2019 at 01:09 PM.
GT3RS is offline   Reply With Quote