REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-15-2019, 10:06 AM   #1726
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,726 Times in 546 Posts
Failed 335 Times in 77 Posts
Spoiler!

I'm sure there are members here who also are calm and respectful but still got their VI ticket. What you said is another reason for Cain's unjust treatment. It seems like he just needs to lie down with a therapist and talk it out about his insecurities/ego issue.
Advertisement
bcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2019, 10:09 AM   #1727
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcedhk View Post
I'm sure there are members here who also are calm and respectful but still got their VI ticket.
I don't doubt that. And I absolutely empathize for those people. But when you're pulled over and facing a ticket/VI, you have the option to either guarantee you're going to receive either of these by acting disrespectfully, or you can try to increase the likelihood of receiving a warning by being as respectful as you can.

It's a shitty situation all around, and there are no winners.
GT3RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:11 AM   #1728
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,915 Times in 7,398 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Watch Cho’s video. There is no chance to argue he was anything other than calm and respectful. Still resulted in a VI and ticket for what I believe was non OEM exhaust (probably quieter than the aforementioned above) and visible camber.
You are right, better off being respectful and increasing your odds, but it’s pretty difficult, especially when they come at you in a combative manor and refuse to answer any of your questions, speak over you and just generally treat you like a criminal.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2019, 10:14 AM   #1729

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Watch Cho’s video. There is no chance to argue he was anything other than calm and respectful. Still resulted in a VI and ticket for what I believe was non OEM exhaust (probably quieter than the aforementioned above) and visible camber.
Again, I'm sure I'm the small minority of people who have been calm and respectful and haven't received a ticket. But the point is the only way to mitigate your chances of receiving a ticket/VI is by doing just that.

And as I said, I fully empathize with everyone who's been targeted by this. I'm just sharing my experience and what I did to result in just receiving a warning. I don't doubt many others have done this and the outcome has been different.

Quote:
You are right, better off being respectful and increasing your odds, but it’s pretty difficult, especially when they come at you in a combative manor and refuse to answer any of your questions, speak over you and just generally treat you like a criminal.
Agreed. But this wasn't how I was treated. Maybe he just got laid before his shift and was in a good mood
Old 01-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #1730
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 12 Times in 7 Posts
He would be the type of cop without any logical discretion and would pull you over if you go 1kmph over the speed limit. In my eyes this is not how a police officer serving his community should enforce. Cut the people some slack and take the higher road, in Canada we're already paying the highest prices just to put our vehicles on the road (gas, insurance), property taxes, etc.
DaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:19 AM   #1731

Literally the minute he walked up to my car he laughed at me and said “well there’s no way this thing is getting driven. Guess you’re walking home.” With my wife in the passenger seat still wearing her scrubs after a 12.5 hour shift.
To be clear this wasn’t Cain though.
If that doesn’t set you the fuck off you are Jesus himself.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-15-2019, 10:20 AM   #1732
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 98 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3RS View Post
I was pulled over Sunday morning by officer Cain (at the time, I didn't know it was him, nor did I know who he was--someone I know directed me to this thread and I put 2 and 2 together).

He told me the reason for pulling me over was "excessive noise".

He did a dB reading of my exhaust (BBi centre muffler bypass), which was 96dB at idle (with the valves closed).

I was completely taken aback when he told me the legal limit in BC is 84dB, as I've been oblivious to these laws until recently.

We spoke at length about why they are enforcing this, who they are targeting, etc. Yes, the laws are ridiculous. No, it makes NO sense that a stock car can be ticketed if the exhaust is over the legal limit at idle.

But you can't fight fire with fire. Obviously the way some people have been handling the situation has resulted in a full-blown attack against car enthusiasts (in visibly or audibly modified cars). The VPD is not responsible for making the laws, they're simply responsible for upholding them.

He did tell me he was the officer whom everyone was harassing online. He told me he's just doing his job and some people are taking things too far.

I was let go without receiving a ticket.

Why?

Most likely because I remained calm, I was respectful, and I engaged with the officer in a polite manner. I tend to be a hot head, especially against authority, so I could've easily gone the other route, one which would have all but guaranteed I would receive a ticket.

I certainly feel for the kids with modified cars they've spent countless hours and dollars building. It's definitely not fair how you are being targeted. It can't be a good feeling going out for a drive and in the back of your mind wondering if and when you're going to be pulled over and receive a VI. But for the sake of every other enthusiast in the city, please do not lose your cool when dealing with these officers. It's ruining it for the rest of us.
Good call. Maybe we should all just say sorry to this guy. Does Cain like wings?
yourself is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2019, 10:21 AM   #1733
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Failed 214 Times in 74 Posts
Quote:
Literally the minute he walked up to my car he laughed at me and said “well there’s no way this thing is getting driven. Guess you’re walking home.” With my wife in the passenger seat still wearing her scrubs after a 12.5 hour shift.
To be clear this wasn’t Cain though.
If that doesn’t set you the fuck off you are Jesus himself.
I would have ended up in jail for sure.

Berz out.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:23 AM   #1734
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,883 Times in 5,637 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
And what exactly did he give you a warning for GT3RS? Driving a stock vehicle? What are you supposed to correct in your behaviour and what are the expectations for you on how to carry yourself or for your vehicle in the future?

I'm very confused why you're okay with the fact your got a warning. A warning for what? I wouldn't be okay with that if I were you... shouldn't even have been pulled over in the first place if there's nothing wrong.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #1735
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,815 Times in 341 Posts
Failed 45 Times in 29 Posts
Think I'm gonna buy a dB reader lol. not sure how loud my exhaust is and if phone apps are accurate or not.

$33 on amazon lol

https://www.amazon.ca/Proster-Digita...8-9&ref=sr_1_9

2018 Golf R MK7.5 (Daily)
2001 S2000 (Weekend Warrior)
1991 Merc 300 TE-24 AMG Estate - Sold
2005 STi - Sold
1987 AE86 GTS - Sold
1986 AE86 GTS - Sold
gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:25 AM   #1736
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,828 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 370 Times in 115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
And what exactly did he give you a warning for GT3RS? Driving a stock vehicle? What are you supposed to correct in your behaviour and what are the expectations for you on how to carry yourself or for your vehicle in the future?

I'm very confused why you're okay with the fact your got a warning. A warning for what? I wouldn't be okay with that if I were you... shouldn't even have been pulled over in the first place if there's nothing wrong.
"He did a dB reading of my exhaust (BBi centre muffler bypass), which was 96dB at idle (with the valves closed).

I was completely taken aback when he told me the legal limit in BC is 84dB, as I've been oblivious to these laws until recently. "
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:27 AM   #1737

Quote:

My car isn't stock. I have a muffler bypass. And admittedly, on the throttle and with the valves open, my car is LOUD.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:29 AM   #1738
Performance Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
"He did a dB reading of my exhaust (BBi centre muffler bypass), which was 96dB at idle (with the valves closed).

I was completely taken aback when he told me the legal limit in BC is 84dB, as I've been oblivious to these laws until recently. "
I can read.

He didn't say what the warning was for though. What is he supposed to do to the car going forward?

A warning is when you get pulled over for speeding, have committed an infraction... and you have the opportunity to avoid a fine and then correct your driving to avoid a future infraction.

How does a warning work for a dB reading, which I would guess was done improperly, being supposedly above what's allowed? Is he supposed to take his car into Porsche (assuming that's what he drives from his user name) and change the exhaust somehow? Ask Porsche Germany to make the GT3RS quieter in the future?
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2019, 10:30 AM   #1739

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
I would have ended up in jail for sure.

Berz out.
I didn’t handle it well. I’ll tell you that much.
But what the fuck right? Police aren’t supposed to come into the situation looking to make an issue bigger. That’s absolutely the opposite of what they are trained to do. Pretty sure taunting the public isn’t behaviour the VPD wants to be known for.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2019, 10:31 AM   #1740
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Really you probably got away for driving an expensive car. I bet a kid in a civic idling at 96db wouldn’t have gotten the same treatment.
waynetheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 10:32 AM   #1741
Performance Moderator

^Haha.... Cain logic "This guy looks like he can afford a lawyer"

If they cared so much about noise they'd sit on Pender where I work at 3-5pm every day and pull over all the Ferrari's and Porsche's and Lambo's that scream away from every light like clockwork every single day and rattle the windows of our offices 11 floors up.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2019, 10:32 AM   #1742

Quote:
I can read.

He didn't say what the warning was for though. What is he supposed to do to the car going forward?

A warning is when you get pulled over for speeding, have committed an infraction... and you have the opportunity to avoid a fine and then correct your driving to avoid a future infraction.

How does a warning work for a dB reading, which I would guess was done improperly, being supposedly above what's allowed? Is he supposed to take his car into Porsche (assuming that's what he drives from his user name) and change the exhaust somehow? Ask Porsche Germany to make the GT3RS quieter in the future?

I'm no nostradamus, but I'm guessing a verbal warning for exhaust being too loud and told him to leave. His exhaust is not stock, so Germany has nothing to do with this.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2019, 10:33 AM   #1743

Quote:
Again, my exhaust isn't stock. But the guys with stock Huracans, F-Types, etc., all risk being ticketed for excessive noise as well and I have no idea what they can do. This is where the law, in my eyes, doesn't make any sense. If anything, this should be handled on a federal level with Transport Canada should be going after the auto manufacturers who are importing "illegal" cars into the country.
Old 01-15-2019, 10:34 AM   #1744

Or Cain probably didn't associate a GT3 owner with one of the members here or on any tuner car forum.

In the end, my worry is more for the car tuning/modification shops who will most likely be taking a big hit from all of this. My neighbour with a BRZ stopped his order on his exhaust/intake purchase and it's considering going back to stock too.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2019, 10:39 AM   #1745

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcedhk View Post
Or Cain probably didn't associate a GT3 owner with one of the members here or on any tuner car forum.

In the end, my worry is more for the car tuning/modification shops who will most likely be taking a big hit from all of this. My neighbour with a BRZ stopped his order on his exhaust/intake purchase and it's considering going back to stock too.
He's wasting his money on an intake for a BRZ, fyi.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2019, 10:40 AM   #1746
cho
sneaky beaky like

Thanked 4,512 Times in 638 Posts
Failed 1,062 Times in 165 Posts
Quote:
Non oem exhaust even though was a trd catback from factory
Old 01-15-2019, 10:50 AM   #1747
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT3RS View Post
He told me the reason for pulling me over was "excessive noise".

He did a dB reading of my exhaust (BBi centre muffler bypass), which was 96dB at idle (with the valves closed).

I was completely taken aback when he told me the legal limit in BC is 84dB, as I've been oblivious to these laws until recently.
Wait, so you're telling me you sit at IDLE @ 96dB with a modified exhaust and I was at 89 dB @ 2500 RPMs and you got away with a warning and me with a VI? What the fuck is that.... actually.. I don't know what else I can say but you got the special treatment haha.
joonzn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2019, 10:56 AM   #1748

Joonzn6 and GT3RS should invite the news and Cain. Then have Cain explain why GT3RS's car got a noise warning but not Joonzn6's.

Cain =
This post thanked by:
Old 01-15-2019, 10:57 AM   #1749

Can anyone confirm 84db is the limit?
Neither the MVA or CVSE states a number. Wondering where that info is coming from.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-15-2019, 10:57 AM   #1750
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Failed 214 Times in 74 Posts