REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-19-2019, 03:24 PM   #1926
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Failed 214 Times in 74 Posts
I may have missed it somewhere in this thread but if you get given a VI, and fully return your car to stock to have it pass, then put your mods back on again afterwards, is there a penalty for this? Other than more tickets and another VI?

Berz out.
Advertisement
Old 01-19-2019, 06:27 PM   #1927
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Failed 54 Times in 23 Posts
Not local,

In Cali, new law...

ime2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:55 PM   #1928
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,752 Times in 1,725 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berzerker View Post
I may have missed it somewhere in this thread but if you get given a VI, and fully return your car to stock to have it pass, then put your mods back on again afterwards, is there a penalty for this? Other than more tickets and another VI?

Berz out.
Technically the officer can say you modify your car again and scratch off the existing inspection sticker. then you'll have to deal with the whole process again.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 06:58 PM   #1929
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Failed 5 Times in 1 Post
The horror stories are true. Went into Vancouver for the first time since everything started and I see a motorcycle cop with a pulled over car. Pulled over car was a yellow mitsubishi lancer evo with wing.
spartan268 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:01 PM   #1930
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
Honestly, if people just lay low for a bit this whole thing will likely blow over.
Cain will get promoted to something else or find something else that gives him a hard on.

Or, you poke the bear. You won't win though. Truth is, like others have stated, the majority of these vi's are probably valid. A few outliers isn't a trend.
You're at their mercy. Sucks but that's the situation.

Just my opinion though. I don't drive much in Vancouver and my car is basically stock so take it with a grain of salt i guess.
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2019, 07:53 PM   #1931
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,362 Times in 1,273 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
I agree. I'll be very surprised if at this time next year we're still talking about Cain handing out VIs. It sucks if you have no choice but to drive downtown right now, but if you can avoid it then just hold off till something else grabs the VPDs attention more than a loud exhaust.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:02 PM   #1932
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,849 Times in 3,915 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
^ well it's been almost 5 months, and they haven't showed any signs of cooling off even in the dead of winter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
But does it actually say according to the MVA that lowering isn't allowed at all?
What about slight camber that's still within oem specs?
Or exhausts that aren't obnoxious ebay fart cans?
is there somewhere that strictly states VI can only be issued for MVA violations, or is there a greater degree of flexibility that can also extend to the officer's
interpretation/discretion of vehicles posing as a safety risk?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2019, 08:15 PM   #1933
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,362 Times in 1,273 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
^ well it's been almost 5 months, and they haven't showed any signs of cooling off even in the dead of winter

is there somewhere that strictly states VI can only be issued for MVA violations, or is there a greater degree flexibility that that can also extend to the officer's perception/interpretation of vehicles posing as a safety risk?
Meh in 2004 no one would have thought driving in Richmond would be safe again either.

To the other part, I would hope not, but from the sounds of it an officer could hand out a VI because your black paint causes more emissions than a white car and you're on the hook for the inspection costs.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:25 PM   #1934
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 11 Times in 6 Posts
Got a Vi from Cain last week, because of my rimsand exsaust. I switched to oem rims and took it to the dealer that he chose. Car passed no problem said my vehicle adheres to all oem standards and laws. the mechanics at dealer said alot of guys are being sent there for vis and pass. Will keep my oem rims on and if i get pulled over again i will record it on video. If i get another VI i will be going to the news got a plan setup. My car is only slightly modded
Oeks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-19-2019, 08:49 PM   #1935
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
I'm not sure if anyone answered the question as to whether they can specify where you have to take it, but I found this (cropped to highlight this point):

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/referen...Order-info.pdf

Quote:
Level 1 (Box 1) – Means
The Peace Officer may specify where the vehicle is to be towed to, for the purpose of inspection and testing

Level 2 (Box 2) – Means
The Peace Officer has ordered the driver/registered owner to take their vehicle promptly to a DIF, have it repaired immediately and pass a complete mechanical vehicle inspection within 30 days;

Level 3 (Box 3) – Means
This level of N & O does not require a vehicle inspection; The
vehicle component(s) must be repaired and the registered owner/driver
may be required to report back to the enforcement officer or a specific
agency or location
, to confirm the vehicle meets the required vehicle safety standards
So it depends on which you get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
^^^. Well then fuck it right? Let’s all give up.
Give up on what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJo View Post
The way this officer is enforcing by the book without any sound judgement proves to us that he is incapable for his line of work and needs to be retrained or coached.
Based on what? His superiors would be seeing a bunch of vehicles getting VIs that are unable to pass in their current state. Are they supposed to think that's not what he's supposed to be doing?

Quote:
is there somewhere that strictly states VI can only be issued for MVA violations, or is there a greater degree flexibility that that can also extend to the officer's perception/interpretation of vehicles posing as a safety risk?
Unless it changed, the whole point was the officers aren't expected to be mechanical experts or try to perform a complete inspection of a vehicle at the roadside, so if they suspected anything could be amiss they could issue a VI. Per that pdf I linked above

Quote:
could have one or more safety defects that are contrary to the Motor Vehicle Act/ Regulations
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2019, 08:55 PM   #1936
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Failed 12 Times in 9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeks1 View Post
Got a Vi from Cain last week, because of my rimsand exsaust. I switched to oem rims and took it to the dealer that he chose. Car passed no problem said my vehicle adheres to all oem standards and laws. the mechanics at dealer said alot of guys are being sent there for vis and pass. Will keep my oem rims on and if i get pulled over again i will record it on video. If i get another VI i will be going to the news got a plan setup. My car is only slightly modded
If that’s the only reason you got a VI you should definitely file a complaint with the vpd
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-19-2019, 11:12 PM   #1937
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 12 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post

Based on what? His superiors would be seeing a bunch of vehicles getting VIs that are unable to pass in their current state. Are they supposed to think that's not what he's supposed to be doing?
Based on the information we're getting here. We have people who obviously deserves the VI (let's not count those), but then we have those who are being punished with an unnecessary VI fee for being within specification. This may or may not create a financial burden to the individuals while they did nothing wrong.

I get that you are playing the devils advocate and that's fine; however, this is from an enforcement background that I have and I firmly believe that this crack-down on EVERY sportscar that looks remotely modified/sporty is due to officer's lack of sound judgement. There is the law, there is the departmental policies and procedures, and then there is the officer's discretion.

The only way we can overcome this is by making noise for those who are innocent. Let them know that this officer is targeting/generalizing and harassing a group of harmless tuners... Even after a successful inspection pass, officer can still scratch off your decal and have you redo it again... Talk about over-power!... Power trip?

Oh, and there's no recourse or anyway to dispute this type of "violation"...
DaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:22 PM   #1938
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
Failed 33 Times in 24 Posts
since when are non-oem wheels an MVA violation?

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:35 PM   #1939
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,575 Times in 1,199 Posts
Failed 236 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Can you post a photo of your ticket indicating the VI infraction is against your rims?
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2019, 02:30 AM   #1940
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Not sure if it was asked or not, but how are the measuring sound since the SAE for "Measurement of Light Vehicle Exhaust Sound Level Under Stationary Conditions" has been cancelled since 07?

https://www.sae.org/standards/content/j1169_200707/

Looks like it was replaced by this; https://www.sae.org/standards/content/j1492_200810/ but its not exactly the same thing.
E90M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:58 PM   #1941

Thanked 7,760 Times in 2,314 Posts
Failed 409 Times in 181 Posts
For all the people continuously saying "we shouldn't complain 99% the VI's are valid", that's such a bullshit cop out (excuse the pun).

Honestly like this is all such a major waste of money and time everyone should be furious about the abuse of resources and power by these officers. It's a shame they can't put their time to solving real issues in our society like theft, rampant petty crime, and insane drug problem.

I mean how many of you have had a bike be stolen from you, or your car broken into, or house broken into, or whatever and the police make absolutely ZERO effort to even canvas the area for cameras or anything. You phone them they give you a case number and 99.99999999% of the time thats the end of it. So they can't be bothered to do anything in those cases where a crime has actually occurred but this instance where literally 99.99999% of the time when absolutely nobody is harmed they feel is worthy of a crackdown.

This is disgraceful on the most epic of proportions, and we are ALL absolutely entitled to criticize these pigs, our taxes and wages pay for the position of power they hold, and they are supposed to be held to a high degree of moral standard. And they are abusing it, and we're all supposed to just sit down and take it up the ass? Fuck that.

And before you jump down my throat feel free to go back and look at any of my other posts about Police, I give them a lot more benefit than others, and I have always shown a great deal of respect for them on here when others have played victim. But seriously enough is enough, either do the job that helps society or fuck off.

The reality is that until I start to see VI's being handed out to the people with balding tires, toast brakes, burnt out bulbs, fucked wipers, and all the retards with HID's crammed into halogen housings, than and only then will I accept my VI for modifying my car, until then just harassing modified car owners or sports car owners is just that... HARASSMENT.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:06 PM   #1942

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
^^^Valid points^^^
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz

Last edited by welfare; 01-20-2019 at 10:19 PM.
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:15 PM   #1943
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,849 Times in 3,915 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
The reality is that until I start to see VI's being handed out to the people with balding tires, toast brakes, burnt out bulbs, fucked wipers, and all the retards with HID's crammed into halogen housings, than and only then will I accept my VI for modifying my car, until then just harassing modified car owners or sports car owners is just that... HARASSMENT.
how can you say for certain those aren't getting VI'd? social media groups and internet forums are echo chambers that may not be the full picture

and lettuce be cereal, i have my doubts your bagged Infiniti is that much safer than your examples with the exception of bald tires

Spoiler!
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2019, 07:47 PM   #1944
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Failed 533 Times in 187 Posts
Quote:
how can you say for certain those aren't getting VI'd? social media groups and internet forums are echo chambers that may not be the full picture

and lettuce be cereal, i have my doubts your bagged Infiniti is that much safer than your examples with the exception of bald tires

Spoiler!
That's a fair statement and hard to present an argument against because that is not the demographic of people on this forum. But i'm going to say they aren't because they aren't the ones drawing attention to themselves. Lowered cars with an exhaust and jacket up trucks with an exhaust, they all stand out.

Why? It has a proper suspension, working tail lights, working brakes (I believe he installed a bbk on it), I bet he knows how to turn on his fucking lights at night, I doubt there's any rust on it.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:01 PM   #1945
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,727 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
I agree. I'll be very surprised if at this time next year we're still talking about Cain handing out VIs. It sucks if you have no choice but to drive downtown right now, but if you can avoid it then just hold off till something else grabs the VPDs attention more than a loud exhaust.
I hope so... but at the same time, some have mentioned talking to Cain after they were pulled over and the guy sounded like he knows exactly what's going on and he's not planning to stop. In fact, he was quite happy to explain he's training a new squad of officers so that they can be more prepared once Spring hits when there'll be way more cars to target. lol........

Quote:
Got a Vi from Cain last week, because of my rims and exsaust. I switched to oem rims and took it to the dealer that he chose. Car passed no problem said my vehicle adheres to all oem standards and laws. the mechanics at dealer said alot of guys are being sent there for vis and pass. Will keep my oem rims on and if i get pulled over again i will record it on video. If i get another VI i will be going to the news got a plan setup. My car is only slightly modded
What kind of rims do you have? Any pics?
Here's the thing.. if you took your car in for inspection as is, would you have passed? You probably didn't want to take the risk I guess?
You didn't mention about changing your exhaust. Was it because you didn't bother to or was it a stock exhaust? At this point, I'm not surprised if you can get VI'ed for a stock exhaust if you happen to have a high end performance car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Nearly 4 months and only 1 of those says a heck of a lot.
It's hard to get an accurate number. While for sure, there have been cars that deserved the VI, there has also been a good number of cars that don't. Like I said, there's only been one guy confident enough to go get inspected as is. He made it public in here with a lot of updates on the situation, RS as a community supported him including offering to pay for it. There are many others who could have been in the same situation, but didn't step up, therefore we don't know about it, and went back to stock to get their cars inspected because they didn't want to "risk" it. So many others also seem to make an announcement they got VI'ed. Then no follow up and we never hear from them again.

Not every one getting VI is on here or have an account to speak up, and lots of people are reporting cars being pulled over that look fairly stock. I know neither of us have any solid statistic, but what I can say is, I drive in Vancouver A LOT.. Like on a daily basis. I haven't seen many outrageous modified cars that look definitely VI worthy. It's winter, many of those heavy modified cars are in storage. I wouldn't be surprised if many of the cars being VI'ed now are mostly "stock"+ exhaust or slightly lowered or something like that. Or maybe they aren't using oem rims..
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2019, 08:32 PM   #1946
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,657 Times in 573 Posts
Failed 50 Times in 22 Posts
RS was down for most of the day. I was afraid the VPD hired a bunch of chiness hackers to ddos crash the site.
snowball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:43 PM   #1947
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
For all the people continuously saying "we shouldn't complain 99% the VI's are valid", that's such a bullshit cop out (excuse the pun).

Honestly like this is all such a major waste of money and time everyone should be furious about the abuse of resources and power by these officers. It's a shame they can't put their time to solving real issues in our society like theft, rampant petty crime, and insane drug problem.

I mean how many of you have had a bike be stolen from you, or your car broken into, or house broken into, or whatever and the police make absolutely ZERO effort to even canvas the area for cameras or anything. You phone them they give you a case number and 99.99999999% of the time thats the end of it. So they can't be bothered to do anything in those cases where a crime has actually occurred but this instance where literally 99.99999% of the time when absolutely nobody is harmed they feel is worthy of a crackdown.

This is disgraceful on the most epic of proportions, and we are ALL absolutely entitled to criticize these pigs, our taxes and wages pay for the position of power they hold, and they are supposed to be held to a high degree of moral standard. And they are abusing it, and we're all supposed to just sit down and take it up the ass? Fuck that.

And before you jump down my throat feel free to go back and look at any of my other posts about Police, I give them a lot more benefit than others, and I have always shown a great deal of respect for them on here when others have played victim. But seriously enough is enough, either do the job that helps society or fuck off.

So then... what are you going to do about it? Other than post online?

I'm genuinely asking you, not trolling: do something about it if you're this worked up over it.
E30_lulz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2019, 10:32 PM   #1948

Failed 15 Times in 8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E30_lulz View Post
So then... what are you going to do about it? Other than post online?

I'm genuinely asking you, not trolling: do something about it if you're this worked up over it.
This thread reminds me of Kony 2012.
mikasaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:34 PM   #1949

Failed 11 Times in 6 Posts
The rims stick out about an inch from the side so i decided to switch to stock .
Car was left with aftermarket exsaust as is and passed.
Btw the mechanics at the dealer said that my exsaust meets oem standards
Oeks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-20-2019, 10:34 PM   #1950
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
deleted, didnt post properly

Police Departments have multiple units, however we need a traffic safety enforcement unit. Imagine someone driving like a dickhead, you call the cops and they say “Nah fam, we’re out here enforcing real crime”
E90M3 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: