REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-20-2019, 10:42 PM   #1951
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,170 Times in 625 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeks1 View Post
The rims stick out about an inch from the side so i decided to switch to stock .
Car was left with aftermarket exsaust as is and passed.
Btw the mechanics at the dealer said that my exsaust meets oem standards
So your rims poke probably between one to two inches?
Advertisement
But debt is the money of slaves.
-Norm Franz
welfare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:47 PM   #1952

So many people pissed about getting vi's. But almost no pics of said cars
-Norm Franz
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2019, 10:55 PM   #1953
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 11 Times in 6 Posts
The aftermarket ones did
Oeks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:25 PM   #1954
They let me be a moderator. LOL

Thanked 3,670 Times in 867 Posts
Failed 1,062 Times in 190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball View Post
RS was down for most of the day. I was afraid the VPD hired a bunch of chiness hackers to ddos crash the site.
They can/will do/done that legally.

There are cops on this board.
There are old RS members who became cops.

We used to be cool, VPD.
SpuGen is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-20-2019, 11:35 PM   #1955
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Failed 44 Times in 5 Posts
edited

Last edited by frsdaily; 03-22-2020 at 11:37 AM.
frsdaily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 01:55 AM   #1956
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 12 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frsdaily View Post
Section 7.08 MVAR. :The owner or the person in charge of a motor vehicle or trailer operated, or about to be operated, on any highway shall, upon the request of any peace officer, forthwith take the motor vehicle or trailer to the place designated by the peace officer and submit the motor vehicle or trailer there for inspection and testing.

For those people who say that police resources should be spent elsewhere, There are dedicated people doing specialized things within VPD. Within traffic enforcement, there are different mandates within each team and different projects that occur.

Smaller municipalities may not have enough resources to focus on MVAR infractions or give two 2 cents about it. Simply patrol units will care LESS about your normal MVAR infractions, infact they would probably radio a traffic unit to clarify a MVAR infraction / citation before giving one.

As for questions regarding Modified insurance within BC, the modified parts must be FACTORY MODIFIED by the ORIGINAL manufacturer.

https://www.icbc.com/vehicle-registr...-vehicles.aspx

Says nothing about parts having to be from "original manufacturer", however it does state that the shell must be OEM. For those that are sporting an aftermarket exhaust and such (within spec), this should be an easy pass according to our current cases with people obviously passing inspection with their VI'd exhaust still attached. (Sorry, no aftermarket widebodies)

My educated guess would lead me to think that this is aimed towards extended limousines and special project cars... However and fortunately, reading into all of it's contexts... It doesn't mean our cars cannot be passed as a modified vehicle. If VPD pulls us over, we show them the passed pre-inspection and we're good. Legally we've already done our due diligence and it's already been registered through ICBC. Saves you any further potential VI and it's fees.

Last edited by DaJo; 01-21-2019 at 02:04 AM.
DaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:49 AM   #1957
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,958 Times in 1,526 Posts
Failed 35 Times in 27 Posts
I’m considered a peace officer while at work. None of y’all better piss me off or I’ll start handing out VIs lol.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:14 AM   #1958
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Failed 533 Times in 187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hud 91gt View Post
I’m considered a peace officer while at work. None of y’all better piss me off or I’ll start handing out VIs lol.
If you can spot a VI'able car from the flight levels... Hahaha
Old 01-21-2019, 07:47 AM   #1959
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Joonzn6,

First of all, congrats on passing as is. Obviously this provides a strong case for yourself as well as the community to move forward.

With the VI out of the way, I hope you would proceed with some subsequent steps to push back against the VI spree.

1) file for an official complaint

If you have plans to proceed with filing a complaint with the VPD PSS and/or OPCC, I think a good approach would be to focus on the officer's lack of training, lack of knowledge, and lack of experience in regards to the MVA since he has obviously failed to deliver on all 3 aspects when your car passed the VI as is. If you can establish the officer is unqualified to fulfill at least this aspect of his policing duties, I think that would be a win.

Good luck!
I'm still trying to think of a way to write this complaint without coming on too strong or overbearing, I want to be able to write this as professionally as possible but I have little experience with dealing in these kinds of things unfortunately.. I'll try my hand at it tonight because I was busy over last weekend.

Thanks for the advice!
joonzn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:58 AM   #1960
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Failed 20 Times in 17 Posts
VPD was at mid van collision this morning taking notes and pictures of their GTR and the green Huracan from Luxury Supercar Weekend along with the gray CLS AMG
6thGear. is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2019, 11:28 AM   #1961
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,849 Times in 3,915 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by welfare View Post
So many people pissed about getting vi's. But almost no pics of said cars
and many of those posted have smoked out lights, no front plate, obvious drops, crazy splitters, GT wang

the more-or-less stock FR-S was the only one that stuck out as being unfairly assessed

still waiting on the smoking gun that traffic enforcement is being unprofessional

the officer heard interacting with cho was stern but didn't come off as asshole-ish

the officers checking out reggie's s15 undercarriage didn't seem to be up to any misconduct either and just doing what they were paid by tax dollars to do...removing unsafe vehicles from the road.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2019, 11:30 AM   #1962
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 18 Times in 5 Posts
Found interesting website:

Specialty Vehicle Association of BC

and on fb

Quote:
What is the Specialty Vehicle Association of BC?

38 plus years as a focal point for vehicle hobbyists
100% volunteer staffed group, serving Car Clubs and enthusiasts
Preservation of the benefits of the Collector Plate Program including modified & vintage
Represent all vehicle types, original or modified cars, trucks or motorcycles
SVA is not a car club
SVA is your voice with Gov’t Agencies, ICBC, Motor Vehicles, Inspection Standards, etc.
They are more in collector cars, but may be they have an experience to share
nexusxv is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2019, 11:38 AM   #1963
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,849 Times in 3,915 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90M3 View Post

Police Departments have multiple units, however we need a traffic safety enforcement unit
next time when the police asked if i had any drinks tonight at a stop i'll make sure to kick and scream and ask why my stolen bike hasn't been recovered yet

stance boys logic
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2019, 12:12 PM   #1964
My homepage has been set to RS

Failed 54 Times in 19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
and many of those posted have smoked out lights, no front plate, obvious drops, crazy splitters, GT wang

the more-or-less stock FR-S was the only one that stuck out as being unfairly assessed

still waiting on the smoking gun that traffic enforcement is being unprofessional

the officer heard interacting with cho was stern but didn't come off as asshole-ish

the officers checking out reggie's s15 undercarriage didn't seem to be up to any misconduct either and just doing what they were paid by tax dollars to do...removing unsafe vehicles from the road.
Riiiiight. and Revscene is the be all, end all of information, so one frs guy posted about passing inspection, then he must be the only one. that's sound logic.
FatalCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:15 PM   #1965
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,828 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 370 Times in 115 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalCloud View Post
Riiiiight. and Revscene is the be all, end all of information, so one frs guy posted about passing inspection, then he must be the only one. that's sound logic.
Lettus be real. Do you think 80% of these cars are innocent and 20% deserve VI or the other way around?
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 12:22 PM   #1966

Thanked 7,760 Times in 2,314 Posts
Failed 409 Times in 181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
how can you say for certain those aren't getting VI'd? social media groups and internet forums are echo chambers that may not be the full picture

and lettuce be cereal, i have my doubts your bagged Infiniti is that much safer than your examples with the exception of bald tires

Spoiler!
You are absolutely right, maybe those cars are getting VI'd, but we dont see representation here on RS.

The anecdotal evidence i've seen suggests that this isn't the case however. This crackdown atleast in the last 6 months appears to be specifically about modified and sports cars.

Regarding my own car, take it for what you will. Half the parts on the car have been changed pretty recently, anything that even has a remote chance of problem is fixed before it manifests, maintenance is all top notch, etc.

Now obviously it's lowered, and has air suspension, so some people might think thats not as safe, which is fair, it's not factory components. But I will say the system I have in my car is not some scabbed together shit from your backyard, it is proper firestone bags (DOT approved) with Engineered struts and brackets that are probably higher quality than the factory ones (CNC components) not bullshit formed factory shit. Air lines are all DOT approved, and run directly in parallel with my brake lines (so just as protected as the brake lines running in my car). Etc.

As for the other mods, sure it's got 22" wheels, but it's also got 295 series high performance all season tires, and a BBK that can lock up all 4 of those tires at a moments notice even on dry pavement. Again sure it isn't factory, but I challenge anyone to say that the BBK that's on my car with 8 piston calipers and 15" rotors is less safe than the factory system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
That's a fair statement and hard to present an argument against because that is not the demographic of people on this forum. But i'm going to say they aren't because they aren't the ones drawing attention to themselves. Lowered cars with an exhaust and jacket up trucks with an exhaust, they all stand out.

Why? It has a proper suspension, working tail lights, working brakes (I believe he installed a bbk on it), I bet he knows how to turn on his fucking lights at night, I doubt there's any rust on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by E30_lulz View Post
So then... what are you going to do about it? Other than post online?

I'm genuinely asking you, not trolling: do something about it if you're this worked up over it.
Well really nothing until I get a VI. Which I'm just not going to go into Vancouver proper until this thing blows over. I guess no Tacofino or craft or any of that shit for me this coming spring. Vancouver just lost my business. I'll stay on the north shore and burnaby. IDGAF.

If someone wants to make a proper case of this, and is willing to spend the time, I am fully willing to chip in some bucks to have them mop the floor with the VPD and kill this whole thing.

In the event that I do get a VI, I'll run it as far as I can go with it. Reverting isn't an option for me like it is some other people in this thread. So I'll fight that shit to my grave I dont care how much it costs.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread

Last edited by meme405; 01-21-2019 at 12:29 PM.
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2019, 12:29 PM   #1967

Failed 54 Times in 19 Posts
i agree that the majority of VI's are probably warranted, however let's say 20% don't deserve VI's, so we shouldn't do anything about it right, it's only 20%. anyways...
FatalCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2019, 01:41 PM   #1968
I STILL don't get it

Failed 8 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
i agree that the majority of VI's are probably warranted, however let's say 20% don't deserve VI's, so we shouldn't do anything about it right, it's only 20%. anyways...
I don't know if we can say 80% are warranted. The spirit of the law is to pull unsafe/excessively noisy vehicles off the road.

Sure, excessively noisy can be very subjective outside of a testing facility but there is a huge difference between a FRS with a factory sports exhaust and some jerk with straight pipes on a Harley.

There's also a difference between a slammed car bouncing along the road and a slightly lowered E36.

The VPD are enforcing these rules far beyond the call to make the roads safer, and our neighborhoods a more enjoyable place to be. They are aggressively enforcing these rules even when it wades deep into the grey areas of the law. This is why they are dicks.
Dbone is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2019, 02:00 PM   #1969
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 10,159 Times in 3,639 Posts
Failed 469 Times in 234 Posts
They should nab those loud pipe Harley's in the summertime.
Badhobz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:14 PM   #1970

Quote:
What's your definition of "not deserving"?
What if the number were more like 2%?
-Norm Franz
Old 01-21-2019, 02:17 PM   #1971
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,727 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 211 Posts
If it's within the spirit of the law to make the roads safer, then a lot of cars are fine... barring "show cars" or track cars that push the extremity past practicality for the street, or just ghetto tacky mods that are usually done by kids in their 20s.

If it's according to MVA, I still think most modified cars fall within a gray area.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 02:49 PM   #1972

Thanked 2,517 Times in 553 Posts
Failed 319 Times in 66 Posts
I've went through most of this thread and have complied to what I believe are illegitimate VI's issued. Most of the vehicles below were issued bullshit VI's for "exhaust too loud" or "visible camber / lowered".

-"Someone's dad's 100% bone stock civic got VI'd for too much camber. It's factory alignment LOL.
Someone got a VI for amber angel eyes and too much rear camber on a Mazda. Stock has negative camber. (Lowered by 1.5")
This guy got VI'd for too low and negative camber (Lowered by > 1")"

-"BadHobz got VI'd in a stock exhaust"

-"exhaust and too low"

-"Box 2 in a slightly lowered rhd Subaru Legacy, on Kingsway. Aftermarket muffler that is very quiet compared to most Subaru's (came on the car)". I believe the owner brought it in for inspection with no changes and passed with flying colours.

-"lowered on springs with a good finger gap between my wheels that dont have poke, also got intake and exhaust which are both pretty quiet when driving conservatively"

-"camber VI", why not just give ticket for no front plate/front tint?

-"exhaust VI" passed with no changes

-"camber/lowered VI"

-"exhaust VI"
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 03:04 PM   #1973
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,541 Times in 2,642 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joonzn6 View Post
I'm still trying to think of a way to write this complaint without coming on too strong or overbearing, I want to be able to write this as professionally as possible but I have little experience with dealing in these kinds of things unfortunately.. I'll try my hand at it tonight because I was busy over last weekend.

Thanks for the advice!
You got PM. Please check.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2019, 05:02 PM   #1974
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJo View Post
This may or may not create a financial burden to the individuals while they did nothing wrong.
A couple hundred bucks is a financial burden to people spending thousands and thousands of dollars modding their cars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJo View Post
The only way we can overcome this is by making noise for those who are innocent.
A VI isn’t a guilty/innocent thing, there’s no extra fine if you fail a VI. Even then, the ratio of passes to fails is pretty weak here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
It's a shame they can't put their time to solving real issues in our society like theft, rampant petty crime, and insane drug problem.
How exactly are traffic cops supposed to do that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNightmare View Post
Like I said, there's only been one guy confident enough to go get inspected as is. He made it public in here with a lot of updates on the situation, RS as a community supported him including offering to pay for it. There are many others who could have been in the same situation, but didn't step up, therefore we don't know about it, and went back to stock to get their cars inspected because they didn't want to "risk" it.
By doing that aren’t people saying that they themselves don’t believe their vehicles to be compliant with the MVA? If someone is complaining about being asked to prove their cars compliance should they not already know they’re compliant (or at least be confident that they are)?
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 05:37 PM   #1975
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,915 Times in 7,398 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
A couple hundred bucks is a financial burden to people spending thousands and thousands of dollars modding their cars?

By doing that aren’t people saying that they themselves don’t believe their vehicles to be compliant with the MVA? If someone is complaining about being asked to prove their cars compliance should they not already know they’re compliant (or at least be confident that they are)?
First off, it cost me $750, plus probably 10 hours of my time, so that's well over 1k
Second, the MVA and CVSE are not the same. My car was 100% compliant with the MVA, however CVSE says there must be one inch of clearance between tire and fender. While my suspension has well over 2" of travel without rubbing due to shape of the fender, sidewall, and suspension travel path, it has less than one inch of clearance in the rear from factory. Which they used to say my car is not compliant with the MVA. They actually pulled up the CVSE, WHICH ISN'T EVEN PUBLICLY AVAILABLE INFO, AND USED IT TO WRITE ME A TICKET THAT MY CAR WAS OUT OF COMPLIANCE WITH THE MVA.
THE CVSE ALSO MENTIONS EXCEPTIONS FOR CARS THAT ARE WITHIN FACTORY SPECS THAT ARE UNDER THAT NUMBER.
You can continue to ignore this to further your argument like so far, or, you can acknowledge that I broke no laws, and then was given a $109 ticket, $300 tow, $250 inspection, and wasted an evening off with my wife, as well as having my plates seized, having to pay $50 for new plates, and a cancellation fee on my current insurance to get new plates.
I guess I can say it again, I was cited
Ride height (within 30mm of stock front, within 10mm rear)
Aftermarket seatbelts (They are OEM and crash tested factory parts that were a factory option on LTW, GT, and individual cars)
DRL too dim (BMWs use the high beams run at 30% capacity for stock DRL, which mine are)
Exhaust (The inspector said its within stock decibal range at test)
Corrosion on body due to lack of wheel clearance (you think this fucking car has a spec of corrosion on it? Get fuckin real. I'd eat fucking poutine out of my fender lip in the summer.)
So yeah, pay to play, probably deserved it, etc.
Like I said, I'll get my fucking car inspected every year if thats what it takes, but I shouldn't be towing it there or be left on the side of the road with my plates seized with no recourse for that to happen if thats what they want.
Is that seriously fucking unreasonable for me to expect?
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.

Last edited by westopher; 01-21-2019 at 05:50 PM.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote