REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-21-2019, 05:56 PM   #1976
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
Failed 7 Times in 7 Posts
^^^^ And this is the problem. $750 out of pocket, plus lost work, innocent and within the law...zero opportunity for recourse.

Anyone who thinks this isn't a problem needs their head checked.
Advertisement
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:12 PM   #1977
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 3,362 Times in 1,273 Posts
Failed 92 Times in 70 Posts
In my opinion if they are going to hand out a VI they should be certain the vehicle isn't complying with the MVA. This whole "I'm not a mechanic" thing is bullshit, you're wasting someone's time and money because you don't know what you're doing. It should be reserved for the blatantly obvious that something is wrong with the vehicle.

If a cop towed your car and gave you an excessive speeding ticket because he mistook your car for the one in front of you I'm pretty sure you wouldn't let it slide and say "I'm sure he gets it right 90% of the time." You'd be fucking pissed but at least you'd have the opportunity to dispute it.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:50 PM   #1978
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,760 Times in 2,314 Posts
Failed 409 Times in 181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
How exactly are traffic cops supposed to do that?
This is bullshit too, I see this all the time with regards to public servants.

"oh but they are in a different department".

That's fucking junk, if one department is flooded and the other is dead slow to the point that they spend their time chasing pennies out of wishing ponds, then those workers should be transferred over to the busier departments.

If Cain and his little cronies can apply all of this effort to pulling "illegal cars" off the road, how come when I had my car cracked into in an impark lot that had cameras plastered all over, and I had $5000 worth of gear stolen out of it, the VPD couldn't be bothered to even contact Impark or the building owner to get the camera footage?

I had to go to the owner of the building, explain the situation, and even then drive to the VPD to get a form, and then go back to the owner of the building and show him the paperwork in order for him to release me the footage. Then take that back to the VPD for them to essentially tell me, they dont have the time to even try and find the person or bother doing anything about it. There was even 3 license plate numbers in the videos, it had to have been 1 of those 3 cars, but the police refused to do anything.

So yeah traffic cop, transit cop, airport cop, horse riding cop, motorcycle cop, desk cop, cock cop, whatever you want to label them, a cop is a cop, and they should be able to prioritize resources better to benefit society, or they should chill the fuck out on the "we need more officers bullshit" all the time if they dont know how to manage resources and this is what they do with what they are given...

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 01-21-2019, 08:07 PM   #1979
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 12 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
A couple hundred bucks is a financial burden to people spending thousands and thousands of dollars modding their cars?
Money is money. People spend money on their cars because it adds intrinsic value. A vehicle inspection does not add any value.

Quote:
By doing that aren’t people saying that they themselves don’t believe their vehicles to be compliant with the MVA? If someone is complaining about being asked to prove their cars compliance should they not already know they’re compliant (or at least be confident that they are)?
I believe a majority of people here are confident that they are not violating the MVA, but are we confident that some of the VPDs know the MVA? No.

If a VPD ripped up a VI-passed sticker off a car and reissued another VI, what stops them from doing it again? This is the risk and issue with the law that is causing people to unmod their cars and keeping it near stock, as they do not want to deal with this potential issue, even after passing VI modified under compliance with the MVA.

I get that you are playing devils advocate, and it does help generate discussion. But in a situation like this, where non-violators are being affected with repercussions only being dealt to us, it is unfair to us. Cops are to serve public interest. Even if we are a minority in the community, we still pay our taxes and are not violating the law. The whole issue is how one-sided the law policies are in regards to the issuance of VIs where no accountability is held when a person is innocent.

Last edited by ButterFingers; 01-21-2019 at 08:26 PM.
ButterFingers is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2019, 08:27 PM   #1980
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 14 Times in 7 Posts
Just saw a stock-looking Civic Type R pulled over on Kingsways near Nanaimo by a motorcycle cop. Looks to be getting a VI since both the driver and passenger were outside the car "discussing" the situation with cop. If THIS car got a VI, then we're all fucked
Old 01-21-2019, 08:28 PM   #1981
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,828 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 370 Times in 115 Posts
Strong victim blaming lol
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2019, 08:31 PM   #1982
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Failed 12 Times in 6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS PWR View Post
Just saw a stock-looking Civic Type R pulled over on Kingsways near Nanaimo by a motorcycle cop. Looks to be getting a VI since both the driver and passenger were outside the car "discussing" the situation with cop. If THIS car got a VI, then we're all fucked
Seems like they're targetting cars that look a certain way.. big wing, flashy bumpers... Provides some insight on how VPD is issuing VIs. You look a certain way, they'll treat you a certain way.
ButterFingers is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2019, 09:49 PM   #1983
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Failed 161 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterFingers View Post
Seems like they're targetting cars that look a certain way.. big wing, flashy bumpers... Provides some insight on how VPD is issuing VIs. You look a certain way, they'll treat you a certain way.
900 IQ profiling.
Old 01-21-2019, 10:17 PM   #1984
:: Sells McLarens, Not tofu :okay: ::

Thanked 11,826 Times in 3,334 Posts
Failed 211 Times in 89 Posts
GVRD new era.

the era of:

90' Honda EF Civic HB // 04' Honda Pilot Granite

- The Drinker of Many Many Coffees @ McLaren Vancouver
tofu1413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:51 PM   #1985
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,575 Times in 1,199 Posts
Failed 236 Times in 60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
GVRD new era.

the era of:

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...ubaru-2763036/

Or how about a EG shell sitting on top of a WRX chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by RX_Renesis View Post
wtf did she get some bolt-on titties or what?
they look sooooooooooo much bigger than they were 2ish years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nns View Post
I can't stand the sound of Mandarin either. Boo yow nee bey nee shing bo now noong gey shee mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo mayo.
TypeRNammer is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-21-2019, 11:59 PM   #1986
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Failed 95 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
I sincerely hope it was some other traffic violation, not VI...

What colour was the Civic Type-R, btw
cococly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 06:35 AM   #1987
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Failed 14 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cococly View Post
I sincerely hope it was some other traffic violation, not VI...

What colour was the Civic Type-R, btw
It was a black Civic Type R. The driver may have been a girl (she was stand on the driver side talking with the cop)
Old 01-22-2019, 08:11 AM   #1988
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 18 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
It was a black Civic Type R. The driver may have been a girl (she was stand on the driver side talking with the cop)
New Type-r?
nexusxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:35 AM   #1989

Failed 3 Times in 3 Posts
Quote:
If a VPD ripped up a VI-passed sticker off a car and reissued another VI, what stops them from doing it again? This is the risk and issue with the law that is causing people to unmod their cars and keeping it near stock, as they do not want to deal with this potential issue, even after passing VI modified under compliance with the MVA.
If VPD indeed does this, how does this not constitute as abuse of power?
mdnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:59 AM   #1990
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Failed 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:

If a VPD ripped up a VI-passed sticker off a car and reissued another VI, what stops them from doing it again?
This was the part that annoyed me the most. There really should be something done during the VI to document how the car was brought in, so that if the cop doubts you, you have proof to show the vehicle passed as is.

Right now, the cops can just say "I'm sure you put it to stock, passed the VI, and then put all this stuff back on" and then claim your inspection decal is not valid and VI you again.

They also have too much power to just claim something and make you inspect.

The rule seems to be set in a way that they can send just about any car for a VI. They can say, "I can't look under your car so I can't tell if it's rusted but because I see this spot of rust on your bumper, I feel your car is unsafe and needs to be checked to ensure the underside isn't all rusted out."

Basically, if a cop suspects something unsafe about your car and claims it is too dangerous for them to do a roadside inspection or that they don't have the tools to do a proper inspection, they can issue you a VI.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:08 PM   #1991

Failed 18 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Could've been excessive speeding and the car needing to be impounded
jsran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:22 PM   #1992
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 9,257 Times in 4,029 Posts
Failed 427 Times in 225 Posts
First off fuck my browser for logging me out and making me type all this twice, so I likely missed some points or fucked something up while doing it again which I apologize for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
This is bullshit too, I see this all the time with regards to public servants.

"oh but they are in a different department".

That's fucking junk, if one department is flooded and the other is dead slow to the point that they spend their time chasing pennies out of wishing ponds, then those workers should be transferred over to the busier departments.
What I mean is are they actually qualified to do that? In the case of your stuff being stolen it’s no better if some guy who normally does parking enforcement shows up who has no clue how to deal with a theft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Second, the MVA and CVSE are not the same. My car was 100% compliant with the MVA, however CVSE says there must be one inch of clearance between tire and fender
To me that’s the better issue to be trying to correct since it’s the underlying cause of actual problems. What I have read of the MVA is largely a mess of poorly worded grey areas that really needs a complete revamp, along with the N&O system. Bumming off the CVSE system just creates even more grey area and headaches like yours.

Quote:
You can continue to ignore this to further your argument like so far, or, you can acknowledge that I broke no laws
I never said that you did. It’s unfortunate that it was your car that got hit like that, but if anyone wants to actually try to fix something at least you’re someone who has been around here long enough to make it obvious that you don’t exclude details (small consolation I know). Guys who join up to post about the VI but leave out the details that make it obvious that they were breaking laws (like the guy with the poke) don’t help anything and just make your car look like more of an exception to the rule that would get ignored by someone outside of RS looking at this.

Quote:
Like I said, I'll get my fucking car inspected every year if thats what it takes, but I shouldn't be towing it there or be left on the side of the road with my plates seized with no recourse for that to happen if thats what they want.
The only problem is VIs will still exist thanks to the people who swap parts to pass and then swap back to illegal right after passing, so then you’ve got an annual inspection (pricey overall, though I know you can’t put a price on the convenience of being able to plan around it) and a possible VI later as well. If there are going to be annual inspections IMO the gongshow of an MVA and N&O still need a revamp first and foremost or we’ve got the same mess as now but with annual inspections on top to boot.

Quote:
I believe a majority of people here are confident that they are not violating the MVA, but are we confident that some of the VPDs know the MVA? No.
The VPD isn’t doing the inspections though. If that’s the concern people should be swapping parts before getting a VI, not halfway through.

Quote:
If a VPD ripped up a VI-passed sticker off a car and reissued another VI, what stops them from doing it again?
From my understanding that’s only happened to the guy that swapped parts to pass, and then went back to illegal right afterwards, but I may have missed something. Granted it’s a large city so the odds of the same officer crossing paths with the same car repeatedly are slimmer. But the issue is that the guys with illegal mods cause the same problem for the VPD when they swap back right after passing.

Quote:
I get that you are playing devils advocate, and it does help generate discussion. But in a situation like this, where non-violators are being affected with repercussions only being dealt to us, it is unfair to us. Cops are to serve public interest. Even if we are a minority in the community, we still pay our taxes and are not violating the law. The whole issue is how one-sided the law policies are in regards to the issuance of VIs where no accountability is held when a person is innocent.
Hence why I say the people leaving out details are just making it worse. If anyone wants to actually achieve anything here then the valid VIs need to be separated out or all the general public is going to think is that those pesky street racers with their loud cars are complaining about having to pay a couple hundred bucks because they got caught doing something illegal again (yes I know a box 1 like westophers costs a lot more but all they’re likely to see is the actual inspection cost) and it all gets ignored.

I dunno, maybe I'm nuts for thinking something useful can be done from this, but if anyone wants to get there then how things are perceived by non-car people is crucial since that's what the people in charge are.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:28 PM   #1993
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got a VI today. Before getting the VI, I had no idea that this was going on. I was driving 50km/h with 2000rpm on Granville St. And all of a sudden a black undercover pulled me over. I pulled over and the cop came to me asked me for license and insurance, and told me my car was too loud and it’s too low with illegal modified camber. BTW I drive a 2007 GTI with turboback and pss10 coilover. I was driving 50km/h with 2000rpm, how was my car loud. Any truck or bus drove pass by would make a louder noise than my car. Then the cop asked me to rev my car to 3000rpm, then he went tested it with a sound measure and said I exceeded the sound test (he said he had 96db). He wrote me a ticket for unnecessary noise $109 and another ticket that I have to go to VW for an inspection. I asked the cop I wasn’t even speeding or reving at all, why would you give me the tickets. I had the car for almost 8 years and the mods was done by the previous owner. He said I was disturbing the neighboorhoods and all modified cars shouldn’t have existed because they are illegal. For the whole conversation, I was being as polite and respectful as I could. However, the cop’s attitude was very aggressive, mean and rude. I definitely didn’t do anything disturbing to the neighboorhood, but I felt disturbed by him. I went to VW right after the incident and asked about the inspection. The guy at VW told me about the story behind all these and told me even some stock porsche got VI for no reason. That’s just ridiculous.
SmileyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:35 PM   #1994
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Failed 214 Times in 74 Posts
Every person that posts a VI story should include a picture of their car at the time of the VI.

Berz out.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:38 PM   #1995
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyFace View Post
I just got a VI today. Before getting the VI, I had no idea that this was going on. I was driving 50km/h with 2000rpm on Granville St. And all of a sudden a black undercover pulled me over. I pulled over and the cop came to me asked me for license and insurance, and told me my car was too loud and it’s too low with illegal modified camber. BTW I drive a 2007 GTI with turboback and pss10 coilover. I was driving 50km/h with 2000rpm, how was my car loud. Any truck or bus drove pass by would make a louder noise than my car. Then the cop asked me to rev my car to 3000rpm, then he went tested it with a sound measure and said I exceeded the sound test (he said he had 96db). He wrote me a ticket for unnecessary noise $109 and another ticket that I have to go to VW for an inspection. I asked the cop I wasn’t even speeding or reving at all, why would you give me the tickets. I had the car for almost 8 years and the mods was done by the previous owner. He said I was disturbing the neighboorhoods and all modified cars shouldn’t have existed because they are illegal. For the whole conversation, I was being as polite and respectful as I could. However, the cop’s attitude was very aggressive, mean and rude. I definitely didn’t do anything disturbing to the neighboorhood, but I felt disturbed by him. I went to VW right after the incident and asked about the inspection. The guy at VW told me about the story behind all these and told me even some stock porsche got VI for no reason. That’s just ridiculous.
Can you share a photo of your car? It helps us better understand if the VI was warranted or not. If you end up having your car inspected as it currently sits and it passes, please consider filing a complaint against the officer.

BTW Was the officer who issued you the ticket Constable Derek Cain?
Twi7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2019, 04:48 PM   #1996
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 6,738 Times in 1,636 Posts
Failed 213 Times in 86 Posts
Quote:
Black Civic Type-R that's driven by a woman: I saw one rip it down Marine Dr. the other day, definitely not stock exhaust, and it had some shit-green foglights...so.
inv4zn is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2019, 05:18 PM   #1997

Failed 18 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Black Civic Type-R that's driven by a woman: I saw one rip it down Marine Dr. the other day, definitely not stock exhaust, and it had some shit-green foglights...so.
And i know a girl driving the black type r bone stock, at least it was at summer.
nexusxv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:21 PM   #1998
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,858 Times in 3,883 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inv4zn View Post
Oh that one. She blew past me on the hwy just south of oak street last week. Tailgating the car in front (who admittedly was sitting in the left lane)
Old 01-22-2019, 05:52 PM   #1999
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi7ch View Post
Can you share a photo of your car? It helps us better understand if the VI was warranted or not. If you end up having your car inspected as it currently sits and it passes, please consider filing a complaint against the officer.

BTW Was the officer who issued you the ticket Constable Derek Cain?
I was told no car will pass the inspection with an aftermarket exhaust because it will definitely exceed the sound test. I was just annoyed that I wasn’t driving recklessly and still got pulled over and issued a VI because of some cops took it personal.
I tried to upload a photo of my car but the size is too big.
No his name is not Derek.
SmileyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-22-2019, 05:56 PM   #2000
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,517 Times in 553 Posts
Failed 319 Times in 66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyFace View Post
I was told no car will pass the inspection with an aftermarket exhaust because it will definitely exceed the sound test. I was just annoyed that I wasn’t driving recklessly and still got pulled over and issued a VI because of some cops took it personal.
I tried to upload a photo of my car but the size is too big.
No his name is not Derek.
How did he measure the sound? Did he do it from a distance?
RevYouUp is offline   Reply With Quote