REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 01-28-2019, 08:36 AM   #2101
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Failed 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball View Post
Saw a VPD marked F150 driving around the metrotown area this afternoon, not enough bait on the Vancouver side?
Saw that one sometime last week as well with someone pulled over. They even had a second marked police car there too. I thought it was the VPD stopping someone for something more serious cause they were in Burnaby, and had vehicles making the stop.

Guess he just roams that area. At first, I thought it was Cain expanding his area and then realized the F150 was not the unmarked one.
Advertisement
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:57 AM   #2102
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,081 Times in 1,921 Posts
Failed 202 Times in 90 Posts
Drove my car through Vancouver yesterday and escaped VI. Probably passed by 5 squad cars, drove by VPD on Cambie.

Also saw a couple of bike cops on Broadway and Main and they pulled over a blue STI but my friend and I detoured through side streets when we saw them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2019, 09:04 AM   #2103
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Failed 126 Times in 19 Posts
No where is safe anymore...
ursher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:51 AM   #2104
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,915 Times in 7,398 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
Except the 10 surrounding cities of the GVRD other than like 2 streets in burnaby.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:27 PM   #2105
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,858 Times in 3,883 Posts
Failed 471 Times in 216 Posts
I’m just really gonna miss cars & coffee or the Saturday morning weissach stuff at Spanish banks...
Old 01-28-2019, 12:41 PM   #2106
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,727 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb_ View Post
Drove my car through Vancouver yesterday and escaped VI. Probably passed by 5 squad cars, drove by VPD on Cambie.

I do this on a daily basis....
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-28-2019, 02:21 PM   #2107
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Failed 0 Times in 0 Posts
2 Motorcycle Cops giving out VI to a lowered civic by Boundary and 49th. Takes 2 of them to measure wheel gap?
KuroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:07 PM   #2108
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 11 Times in 6 Posts
Are coilovers illegal ? Also what is the standard for testing the exsaust and how far should they be from it?
Oeks1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:19 PM   #2109
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,541 Times in 2,642 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeks1 View Post
Are coilovers illegal ? Also what is the standard for testing the exsaust and how far should they be from it?
I see nothing in the MVA or CVSE inspection manuals to suggest that coilovers in itself are illegal. However, depending on the ride height that you set them at, that might make your vehicle susceptible to VI.

As far as exhaust is concerned, the way I interpret the MVA is, the cop is given the authority to subjectively determine whether your exhaust is too loud and therefore requires a VI. They do not need any objective measurements at all to issue that VI. An objective reading (of 83dB for cars) is only required at the inspection facility to determine whether you meet the noise requirements or not. In other words, you can say it is entirely arbitrary and up to the discretion of the officer, and you wouldn't be wrong.

One of the reasons why this VI thing is so ridiculous.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:00 AM   #2110
Need to Seek Professional Help

Failed 27 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I see nothing in the MVA or CVSE inspection manuals to suggest that coilovers in itself are illegal. However, depending on the ride height that you set them at, that might make your vehicle susceptible to VI.

As far as exhaust is concerned, the way I interpret the MVA is, the cop is given the authority to subjectively determine whether your exhaust is too loud and therefore requires a VI. They do not need any objective measurements at all to issue that VI. An objective reading (of 83dB for cars) is only required at the inspection facility to determine whether you meet the noise requirements or not. In other words, you can say it is entirely arbitrary and up to the discretion of the officer, and you wouldn't be wrong.

One of the reasons why this VI thing is so ridiculous.
This is exactly why all owners with vehicles that pass after getting a vi need to submit an official complaint. subjective needs to be changed to objective (much like any standard ticket) and the way to do this is to file a complaint.
Alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2019, 12:29 PM   #2111

This is obviously not VI-related, but I wonder if police depts across the LM is cracking down on traffic violations and stuff?

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/01...-intersection/

Quote:
RCMP issues 40 tickets in 2 hours at Burnaby intersection

BURNABY (NEWS 1130) – Burnaby RCMP had a busy Monday morning after officers issued 40 tickets within a two-hour window.

Officers set up at the corner of Lougheed and North Road at 10 a.m. and by noon more than 40 tickets had been issued.

“Things like seatbelts, intersections – meaning if someone going through doesn’t yield to a yellow light and maybe speeds through the yellow light – which is a concern at an intersection, and then perhaps not having insurance, those types of things,” Cpl. Daniela Panesar said.

Out of the 40 tickets, 15 were for distracted driving.

“Even though there has been a lot of education surrounding distracted driving I still think that people are using their devices, their mobile devices in their cars or vehicles,” Panesar added.

She said distracted driving can be anything from just holding your phone to eating while you’re driving, or playing with the radio, “anything that takes your attention away from driving.”
Be careful out there.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:30 PM   #2112
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 7 Times in 3 Posts
^ They do the distracted driving blitzes every now and again, nothing new.
Tr1ll is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2019, 02:06 PM   #2113
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Failed 4 Times in 4 Posts
lol yellow lights. Everyone is blowing red lights and stop signs these days.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/video-shows-dr...igns-1.4026663

1998 Acura Integra Type R #0635
2017 Honda Civic Type R #01818
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:01 PM   #2114
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
Failed 33 Times in 24 Posts
the best part is getting honked at when you stop for the stop sign, lol.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2019, 05:04 PM   #2115
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,511 Times in 960 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 72 Posts
So you can't touch the radio at all unless your parked?

2022 Velo N
2005 S2000
2007 CSX Type-S [Sold]
2002 RSX-S [T-Boned]
Gerbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 05:16 PM   #2116
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
Failed 33 Times in 24 Posts
if you were using it to the point of distraction (like missing a light going green, etc) i could see them giving you a ticket, but the law defines an electronic device as one with the ability to make calls or sends text messages.

Motor Vehicle Act

Edit: i should add in... that this will not stop them from giving you the ticket regardless, also a lot of newer vehicles may fall under that since it's often a "multimedia centre" and your radio can do the above... so ... ymmv? i guess?

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-29-2019, 06:44 PM   #2117
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 4,049 Times in 1,727 Posts
Failed 434 Times in 211 Posts
They should do a stake out for the left turning advanced green lights. Certain lights have short duration and if the first car is just sitting there for 5 seconds or takes the turn at 3km/h like he's lost and looking for directions, you get like 3 cars driving through, 4th one forces it in the yellow, then the 5th car blatantly running through the red cause it's bullshit.
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2019, 09:59 AM   #2118
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Hey I know this might not be the right thread but yesterday I was removing my wallet from my butt pocket while at a left turn light and a cop standing at a nearby gas station walked over and knocked on my window and told me to pull over.

He issued a ticket for electronic device. He said "I saw you from afar reaching for something and even though you weren't on your phone, holding a handheld device is considered use of electronic device"

I told him, I understand you have a job to do, I have never had any violations of this type in the past and that is not what I was doing. He issued the ticket anyways and I was on my way. I knew further talking wouldn't resolve the situation but I feel kind of ripped off.

He said "you can try to ask the judge to reduce the amount though".

I was in the furthest left lane turn lane and he must have been at least 25-30 ft away (where the gas station was).

Anyways my lady bought me a new wallet a few days ago for our anniversary and I didn't want to crush it but I understand it looked suspicious from afar I was looking down and moving awkwardly and I put the wallet in my cupholder.

I can see how that would look like I may have been holding a phone but I wasn't. My car has bluetooth and voice/text to speech ect. Ironically I am always nagging my partner about using the phone when she drives cause her car doesn't have gps.

I will dispute the ticket, but it's worth 4 points and I think I need to pay a DPP penalty upon renewal of my insurance. What if my ticket is still in the dispute process will I have to pay this penalty upon renewal? Would like to know your guys advice on how to handle this.

I haven't gotten an infraction in years and years so it's the first for me. No points on my record either.

Sorry if incorrect thread.
Gh0st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 10:05 AM   #2119
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,418 Times in 863 Posts
Failed 36 Times in 32 Posts
Just dispute it and tell the justice you were reaching in your back pocket for your wallet. Simple as that.

Officer didn't actually see you holding or using an electronic device so why wouldn't you dispute it.

No penalties while dispute is ongoing.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:11 AM   #2120

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
Just dispute it and tell the justice you were reaching in your back pocket for your wallet. Simple as that.

Officer didn't actually see you holding or using an electronic device so why wouldn't you dispute it.

No penalties while dispute is ongoing.
Hey thanks for the prompt response SkunkWorks.

I thought about it last night and when I meet the officer in court likely 1 year from now, it will be his word against mine. I feel the judge will err to the side of VPD.

I can only imagine how many people may have used the similar excuse.. "I was reaching for xxxx"

Just thought this scenario was unfortunate and unfair. Thanks for your input. I don't have much if any experience disputing a ticket because I just haven't had any so any additional thoughts on what to expect?
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2019, 10:13 AM   #2121
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 18 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gh0st View Post

I thought about it last night and when I meet the officer in court likely 1 year from now, it will be his word against mine. I feel the judge will err to the side of VPD.

I can only imagine how many people may have used the similar excuse.. "I was reaching for xxxx"

Just thought this scenario was unfortunate and unfair. Thanks for your input. I don't have much if any experience disputing a ticket because I just haven't had any so any additional thoughts on what to expect?
Just dispute. You can talk to judge to get the fine reduced. If cop doesn't show up, the ticket is thrown out.
jsran is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2019, 10:18 AM   #2122

Now I'm gonna sound spiteful and/or petty, but I'm gonna say it anyway.

In addition to disputing the ticket, I'd also recommend you to file a complaint on the officer. In the complaint letter, clearly indicate what you were doing, the year, brand, model, and trim of your vehicle, and specifically describe how your car already has bluetooth so it is unnecessary for you to pull out your phone.

When you are innocent, you totally want to exercise your rights and use the mechanisms available to point out the officer's wrong doing. The only thing you'll lose is a bit of time. An individual complaint won't amount to much of anything, but collectively, this is how we keep the police force in check from abusing the authority they've been bestowed with.

Good luck!

Quote:
Hey I know this might not be the right thread but yesterday I was removing my wallet from my butt pocket while at a left turn light and a cop standing at a nearby gas station walked over and knocked on my window and told me to pull over.

He issued a ticket for electronic device. He said "I saw you from afar reaching for something and even though you weren't on your phone, holding a handheld device is considered use of electronic device"

I told him, I understand you have a job to do, I have never had any violations of this type in the past and that is not what I was doing. He issued the ticket anyways and I was on my way. I knew further talking wouldn't resolve the situation but I feel kind of ripped off.

He said "you can try to ask the judge to reduce the amount though".

I was in the furthest left lane turn lane and he must have been at least 25-30 ft away (where the gas station was).

Anyways my lady bought me a new wallet a few days ago for our anniversary and I didn't want to crush it but I understand it looked suspicious from afar I was looking down and moving awkwardly and I put the wallet in my cupholder.

I can see how that would look like I may have been holding a phone but I wasn't. My car has bluetooth and voice/text to speech ect. Ironically I am always nagging my partner about using the phone when she drives cause her car doesn't have gps.

I will dispute the ticket, but it's worth 4 points and I think I need to pay a DPP penalty upon renewal of my insurance. What if my ticket is still in the dispute process will I have to pay this penalty upon renewal? Would like to know your guys advice on how to handle this.

I haven't gotten an infraction in years and years so it's the first for me. No points on my record either.

Sorry if incorrect thread.
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2019, 10:33 AM   #2123

Failed 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the input so far guys -

I can swallow paying for the ticket (even though I feel it's unjust) but it's the points that irk me!

Is there any way I can get the ticket amended to avoid points, be it through judge or officer when the date comes up?

I documented the conversation.. pretty close to verbatim -- i would like to say the officer was pretty soft spoken and polite in his dealing with me and it wasn't an unpleasant conversation - outside of getting the ticket..

Received Ticket on January 29 2019 on the way home in the left turn late on Clark Driving South Bound, prepared to turn left onto Broadway East Bound.
Officer was located at Petro Canada, 20-25ft away from my vehicle when he walked over, knocked on my window, and asked me to pull over into the gas station.

Officer: “Do you know why I pulled you over”
Me: “No Officer”
Officer: “I pulled you over because you were holding your phone.”
Me: “No, I was reaching for my wallet”
Officer: “I saw you from afar looking up and down”
Me: “I just bought this car and yes I was looking at some of the new features on my dashboard, I can see how it may have appeared that way”
Officer: “Well, although you weren’t using your phone, holding your phone constitutes as use of electronic device and I have to write you a ticket is there anything else you’d like to say”
Me: “I understand you’re doing your job, and I appreciate the work but I’ve never had any infractions of this kind in the past, this would be a first issue for me, but I wasn’t holding my phone, is there any way you can reevaluate this?”
Officer: You may ask the judge to reduce the fine.
Me: Thank you for your time Officer.

Last edited by Gh0st; 01-30-2019 at 10:38 AM.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:35 AM   #2124
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Failed 128 Times in 71 Posts
Quote:
Search the forums, use key words like "disclosure"

Sorry, in a meeting right now so can't write as much as I would like.

Basically, asking the officer for his notes so you know what he will be saying in court. If he says I was 25 ft away and saw him looking down....

That might be your way out as he didn't directly see you using your phone. You might have been staring at your crotch, which isn't illegal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 01-30-2019, 10:53 AM   #2125
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 98 Times in 21 Posts
Quote:

Dispute it. From personal experience, the traffic court judge at robson square is very defendant friendly, and easy to reason with.
yourself is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: