REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 02-08-2019, 09:38 AM   #2226
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 98 Times in 21 Posts
Not in the eyes of the media. When a minority is oppressed, it doesn’t matter if the whole commits most of the crimes and causes all of the problems, what matters is the one that was unwrongly done was actually innocent and didn’t deserve it.
Advertisement
yourself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:46 AM   #2227
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,828 Times in 995 Posts
Failed 370 Times in 115 Posts
You mean like when the entire water supply of Flint Michigan got poisoned and they did jack all about it? That was all over the media.

Good luck having anything done cause one person wrongfully got a VI lol. Literally no one outside of this forum cares.
trollface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:03 PM   #2228
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Failed 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollface View Post
You mean like when the entire water supply of Flint Michigan got poisoned and they did jack all about it? That was all over the media.

Good luck having anything done cause one person wrongfully got a VI lol. Literally no one outside of this forum cares.
Not everyone who gets a VI is on this forum. It would be good for the general public to see this cause maybe someone who isn't a car enthusiast actually got a VI unjustly and doesn't know about Revscene. They see the story, then they might do something or know that they were unjustly given a VI and might actually become more vocal against it.

The media can also potentially educate the public with that story if they state how easily it is for a cop to decide to hand out a VI and point it out.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:05 PM   #2229
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Failed 12 Times in 7 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, you're right. Maybe we should just sit here, twiddle our thumbs and do nothing.

At this point, any noise is good noise for PR. We don't know if we don't try - If it works, GREAT! If it doesn't at least we tried, and we can move on from there.
DaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #2230

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_woo View Post
The media can also potentially educate the public with that story if they state how easily it is for a cop to decide to hand out a VI and point it out.
History has proven time and time again, no one cares unless it directly affects them. "Not in my backyard".
Old 02-08-2019, 01:11 PM   #2231

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJo View Post
Yeah, you're right. Maybe we should just sit here, twiddle our thumbs and do nothing.

At this point, any noise is good noise for PR. We don't know if we don't try - If it works, GREAT! If it doesn't at least we tried, and we can move on from there.
Refer to my post a few pages back. You make enough noise, and people will realize: "Yeah, I remember getting woken up at 7am by someones loud exhaust, good, fine them". No one ever goes "Damn, I wish everyone's exhausts were louder, I sleep too well at night".

If you're playing with fire in the forest, it's sometimes best not to tell the whole town the Ranger came to fine your buddy.

Stop and think about this for a sec. We have like ONE car that passed. No one coming forward with videos or interviews. Why do you think this is?

Just lay low, this will blow over.

Last edited by trollface; 02-08-2019 at 01:16 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-08-2019, 01:17 PM   #2232

Quote:
Refer to my post a few pages back. You make enough noise, and people will realize: "Yeah, I remember getting woken up at 7am by someones loud exhaust, good". No one ever goes "Damn, I wish everyone's exhausts were louder, I sleep too well at night".

If you're playing with fire in the forest, it's sometimes best not to tell the whole town the Ranger came to fine your buddy.
The power of media... The highlight of this article is about how VPD are handing out VI's to people wrongfully (putting everyone at risk for a VI, even those who are stocked) and the power-trip and corruption of the VPD officers with the law without any repercussion on their end. Let's leave the job to the professionals at the media corp...

This won't blow over without any resistance, if a cop can issue these VI without them being held accountable, they will keep doing it.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:21 PM   #2233
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Failed 13 Times in 10 Posts
I understand the point you're illustrating with that comparison and you're correct with the line of thinking but I'm not sure it strictly applies here.

In Flint Michigan, they were dealing with a bankrupt city lacking the funds to fix the infrastructure and layers of governmental apathy and jurisdictional issues. All this thing needs to do is create some negative publicity, enough that whoever Cain reports to tells him to back off. There is no cost incurred by the VPD if Cain & co. back off on their overzealous VI blitz.

And yes it would be good if one of the outcomes of the piece was other people (not RS'ers) who also received unfair VI's who speak up against this abuse of the system by Cain & co.

Quote:

snowfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 12:19 AM   #2234

Thanked 1,657 Times in 573 Posts
Failed 50 Times in 22 Posts
I don't think anyone's expecting them to stop giving people VI's. No one's expecting them to change the laws. But a little negative publicity for their actions should make them think twice before handing out VIs. They should know their actions can and will be scrutinized.

They're abusing a loophole, if you get a VI you're guilty until proven innocent and there's no official accountability. At least this way there will be social accountability and if spending an hour here and there to create awareness and ensure our right are protected then I'm all for it.
snowball is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2019, 12:30 AM   #2235
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,849 Times in 3,915 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowball View Post
But a little negative publicity for their actions should make them think twice before handing out VIs
you can try, but something tells me 5 months in, they nor the public dgaf about some news piece unless it involves them punching someone and prompting a disciplinary hearing

again, the dashcam videos so far support ignorance on MVA, but nothing on misconduct/poor professionalism
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 01:24 AM   #2236
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,541 Times in 2,642 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Ignorance of the MVA is already a poor reflection on their "professionalism" since they are the ones enforcing it. If I don't know my shxt at work, I'm pretty sure I'll see some consequences one way or another.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 09:08 AM   #2237

thin line between incompetence and poor professionalism, but still enough distinction

90 pages now, still no smoking gun
Old 02-09-2019, 09:38 AM   #2238
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,882 Times in 5,637 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
I recall seeing quite a few videos in this thread of officers acting extremely unprofessional and rude in how they’re talking to the accused nevermind the verbatim descriptions of the type of language being used aka westopher’s breakdown. A police officer in Ontario who is a member here even commented to this fact.

Abuse of power is pretty strongly tied into professionalism me thinks. There’s the law (interpretation of the MVA) and then there’s the spirit of the law (how it should be applied), often a wide chasm exists between the two and whether that’s right or wrong, they’ve suddenly bridged that chasm with little or no warning or direction to the public and crossed it for questionable reasons and even more questionable results. Public safety being the supposed one, which is a laughable reason in this instance at best.
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2019, 10:32 AM   #2239

I encourage everyone to look up news articles on ICBC losses/spending and read the comments.

It's FULL of people asking for:

Air Care, Yearly car inspections, re-testing after an accident etc.

THIS is the average person you're dealing with. Nothing will happen with this VI thing. The loudest crowd is always the ones know that just enough to be dangerous.

You're not going to get any traction based off abuse of power thing. Let's be honest, unless it's a visible minority being abused by police, no one cares about abuse of power on your 40k BWM with works wheels.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2019, 10:45 AM   #2240

Quote:
I encourage everyone to look up news articles on ICBC losses/spending and read the comments.

It's FULL of people asking for:

Air Care, Yearly car inspections, re-testing after an accident etc.

THIS is the average person you're dealing with. Nothing will happen with this VI thing. The loudest crowd is always the ones know that just enough to be dangerous.

You're not going to get any traction based off abuse of power thing. Let's be honest, unless it's a visible minority being abused by police, no one cares about abuse of power on your 40k BWM with works wheels.
Still worth a try than being quiet, bending over and just taking it up the ass. What's the worse that can happen if we put this up for the media, is there anything to lose?

At the end of the day, we DON'T know if we DON'T try. I honestly don't even know why this is even a debate...
This post thanked by:
Old 02-09-2019, 11:17 AM   #2241
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Failed 214 Times in 74 Posts
Quote:
No one is sending their Dashcam videos because there is a 90% chance their car violates god knows how many MVA guidelines. Lettus be real.

That BRZ was a one-off.
The Abarth as well would be a good case. however, overall, everyone else has had to change something in order to pass. This doesn't mean that only tuners are to blame. I'm sure if you took most cars to an inspection facility they would not pass as they are now. This doesn't mean they are "unsafe" per say but there are regulations to follow and many of them are quite insignificant but would still result in a "fail"
Personally speaking my element has rear camber, as does, 95% of the Elements on the road. It's the design of the rear suspension and once it gets a bit dated there is a natural sag resulting in camber that would be off spec from the initial design. This would be a visual reason for a VI given what has been presented so far.

Berz out.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:18 PM   #2242

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaJo View Post
Still worth a try than being quiet, bending over and just taking it up the ass. What's the worse that can happen if we put this up for the media, is there anything to lose?

At the end of the day, we DON'T know if we DON'T try. I honestly don't even know why this is even a debate...
Choose battles where you know you can win. All the married folks here will understand. lol

Sometimes you make it worse. You are potentially shining a huge spotlight on a problem people turned a blind eye to for years. 99% of the population wish everyone on Revscene's exhausts were quieter, not louder. If I was a betting man, the VPD would get way more support than the other way around. 99% of ppl Van has ZERO issue with two ppl getting wrongful VI if it means 10 cars are not waking them up at 7am. You know all the rich kids with lambos and Ferraris ripping down streets, getting towed with N's on the back? You get lumped in the same group.

When you pick a battle/to argue about something, you have to put yourself in everyone else's shoes and come up with a strategy. If the odds are stacked against you, some times doing nothing is best.

This is not a civil rights movement here, this will blow over. Notice how no one cares about homeless ppl getting killed in donation bins anymore?

This will pass.

-------------------------------------------------------------

And let's bring this back into perspective, people.

This is not a huge epidemic of VPD handing out BS VI's.

We have had perhaps 2 wrongful VI's out of how many? 20/30/50?
Why is no one sending their videos in and posting pics of their cars if they felt so strongly they were in compliance.
Why is no one bringing their cars in as-is and showing pics?

I'll let you guess why. If 1.5 cases (Fiat/FRS) is all you have to fight this battle, I got bad bad news for you.

I'm not saying roll over and die. But for the love of god, get your case together and make sure the numbers don't work against you before shouting in town square.

Last edited by trollface; 02-09-2019 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:02 PM   #2243
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,574 Times in 3,558 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:

Why is no one sending their videos in and posting pics of their cars if they felt so strongly they were in compliance.

I'll let you guess why. If 1.5 cases (Fiat/FRS) is all you have to fight this battle, I got bad bad news for you.

I'm not saying roll over and die. But for the love of god, get your case together and make sure the numbers don't work against you before shouting in town square.

Why should the region your living in effect how you are being policed? Why is this only happening in Vancouver?
Old 02-09-2019, 10:37 PM   #2244

I dont understand the question, but Van/Richmond/Delta does not change anything.

Differnt cities have different communities, have different resources, have different problems, have different police forces and have different priorities. But thats besides the point. (Priorities right or wrong)

Last edited by trollface; 02-09-2019 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-10-2019, 01:37 AM   #2245

because VPD doesn't operate on the island?

unless you want RCMP in on ramping up VI too...but we already discussed why that's not a priority
Old 02-10-2019, 02:39 AM   #2246
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,574 Times in 3,558 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Quote:
I dont understand the question, but Van/Richmond/Delta does not change anything.

Differnt cities have different communities, have different resources, have different problems, have different police forces and have different priorities. But thats besides the point. (Priorities right or wrong)
Everyone should be treated the same way under the law no matter where you live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
because VPD doesn't operate on the island?

unless you want RCMP in on ramping up VI too...but we already discussed why that's not a priority
It should not matter where you live, the Island or mainland everyone should be treated the same. I know I guy who photographs cars and drives a modified car. He went to do a photoshoot in van from the Island and he was afraid of getting a VI. He has had no problems with the police in Nanaimo with his car.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:44 AM   #2247
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Failed 3 Times in 2 Posts
Quote:
-------------------------------------------------------------

Perspective to perspective, I have studied this issue and think your missing the point of anyone not liking that this is happening. This is much more than any number of BS VI's, as most VI's are legally justified, this is a political, economical and police strategy issue that affects your fundamental right and freedoms given to you as a member of this great society. Your right to free expression is infringed if fear of unlawful or overbearing state enforcement makes you decide not to lower your car or paint it pink because its "heat". Your right to free travel could be infringed if you find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time. Like, just driving anywhere, anytime, in a sports car even if its stock, safe, and holds a valid inspection certification. You have a right to not be victim of an abuse of power, police view a VI as an enforcement tool and use it without precaution or moral reason to ensure compliance.

Compliance to what? Not the laws in the MVA, MVAR, or traffic act because very few things are actually illegal. The laws allowing overbearing enforcement is written, plain and clear right next to the laws that have oversight on your vehicle. They do it it for social compliance, which boils down to basically anyone who thinks differently from the herd.

There is many many more then 1 or 2 BS, overreaching, pointless and wrongful notice and orders.. Im sorry they don't all post here or in your social feed for you to see, with evidence for you to make your own uninformed conclusion on the particular car. This happens every single day to car enthusiasts in Vancouver, 4-10 per shift, 4 days a week and the numbers add up quick. The impact of this spans from tax revenue loss, unnecessary personal finance loss and the government putting walls around local businesses with no moral or actual safety justification. The biggest issue I have with this, is that it is a waste of the valuable and beneficial resource that is the police.

Why is no one sending their videos in and posting pics of their cars? This is very simple, fear of police retaliation. Imagine a sergeant who knows you, and your car. Have fun driving then. Ever get a thousand dollar in fines only to have the cop not show up for the court date?

Why is no one bringing their cars in as-is and showing pics? Huh? They are. They are passed with zero changes, and the sun sets that night.

You can't actually get your case together to "fight this" because it doesn't matter if you are leaving an inspection facility, legally they can give you a VI with zero reason needed. This is another example of the failure of BC laws, acts, and policies like of what we have seen for the last 40 years. Every government program is bloated, wasteful and ineffective, so why would police be any different? Sure, you could sue a cop. They don't even talk to IIO investigators for an interview after they kill someone on the job, you think they will be go to court? Hopefully your lawyer has experience with the attorney generals office.

Don't forget, people die every week on BC roads, and its from aggressive, impaired or distracted driving not from modified or ill maintained vehicles. Street racing is essentially a non issue. Everyone knows BC drivers go way too fast, follow too close, and brake too late. Millions of dollars of heroin and crack are sold every week in Vancouver, and you would never find a drug dealer working out of a JDM car. Why the hassle then? It's pointless and saves nobody. Over 50 people died last year from traffic fatalities, and over 1500 people died from opioid overdoses. Noisy exhaust keeping people up at night should bear zero importance to police except when extremely loud. Nobodies life has been saved in the reduction of modified cars, yet many peoples lives have been negatively affected as a result.

People really aren't coming to into vancouver anymore, police prevent you from using a local DIF the state approves to do safety inspections. They force you to be upsold and and ripped off at a dealership, who are free to tell you something is illegal even if it isn't actually illegal. We all know the racket. Peoples businesses are really being affected by this, and getting a VI is putting you out of pocket a half G at a minimum.

Police are wasting time, business is being affected, and rights are being violated and there is nothing anyone can do. The only change to this comes directly from top ranks, the mayor or premiere.
coupelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:18 AM   #2248
Performance Moderator

Thanked 16,882 Times in 5,637 Posts
Failed 286 Times in 182 Posts
I have zero comprehension how anyone posting on a car forum who is interested in cars can be posting against or naysaying this movement.

If you are, give your head a shake and re-evaluate what your hobby actually even is, cuz apparently it’s just being “devil’s advocate” and not a car enthusiast. I guess some people’s username itself should be a hint as to their actual intentions here.

It’s already an uphill battle without you negative nancies who say there’s no issue or fighting it won’t work. 90+ pages of posts say otherwise. My daily driver is 100% stock and I personally have nothing to worry about from this, but the sudden overextension of powers makes me livid. It should make any car enthusiast livid.

Seriously, I have no idea what some of you goofs saying the VPD are justified or trying to shoot efforts down are even a member of this forum for. You call yourselves realists? Fuck right off and shame on you if any of you self righteous pricks ever once sped even 1km/h over the limit or crossed any road not at an intersection cuz VPD could suddenly out of nowhere excessively enforce every law the same way. You going to sit there like a cuckold saying “Well technically speaking I did break the law, pay to play and all that” and just take it then too?
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 02-10-2019, 06:47 AM   #2249

If you say there are more then 2bs VI, we need to prove that with facts. We have one piece of evidence being the FRS. 90 pages and god know how many vierwers and one person stepped up. We have one. When the media asks you for proof you are going to look like a clown.

"way more than one" is just wishful thinking to fit your viewpoint right now.

What you say is overextended power would be the case if there was more than one person. Lets call a spade a spade.

No one is going to do jack over one wrongful ticket over the 50?+ they have given out seemingly justified at this point. There are a lot of memebers here in that group. Why are they so quiet? Not a single peep from these wrongfully ticketed memebers. Why?

One case is not going sell anyone on VPD abusr of power or however you want to frame it to the media or general population.

This is not capital punishment here, no one is going to givr a shit over one out of 50+

This all started over one car owner blabbering too much online and more ppl joining in without thinking. All im saying is get a good case together and then do something smart. Jumping in head first worked great the first time eh?

Going to the media with one example or saying thr VPD should be doing something else is a piss poor case.

Last edited by trollface; 02-10-2019 at 07:07 AM.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-10-2019, 08:20 AM   #2250
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Failed 18 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
If you say there are more then 2bs VI, we need to prove that with facts. We have one piece of evidence being the FRS. 90 pages and god know how many vierwers and one person stepped up. We have one. When the media asks you for proof you are going to look like a clown.
We know civic and jag. The guy with frs, was said that inspector passed several stock porshes and bmw ms. And this was one facility. The problem we are not the police and we do not have statistics
nexusxv is offline   Reply With Quote