REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 04-02-2019, 03:44 AM   #76
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Failed 95 Times in 37 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by liukb View Post
Work in sales at Mazda so have spent quite some seat time in them. Overall smoother and quieter ride than the previous generation, and the GT's sound quality on the Bose sound system is also much better than the ones previously.
As a previous gen 2014-2018 Mazda3 GT owner, I agree that the new Bose Audio System on the 2019+ is miles better than the previous gen, though the previous Gen Mazda3 Bose system was already very good and much better than anything from a Civic or a Corolla.

I am a audiophile with low budget
Advertisement
cococly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 04:56 AM   #77
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 7,451 Times in 1,440 Posts
Failed 2,380 Times in 472 Posts
it's good to hear the Bose got better. My 2011 Mazda5 Bose is horrible with 25w paper speakers
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:23 PM   #78
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Failed 59 Times in 17 Posts
Picked up my 2019 Mazda 3 GT sedan with AWD today in the Machine Gray colour. Traded in my 2017 Mazda 3 GT Sport.

First impressions are ride is much much quieter. Like luxury brand levels of quietness. Wife and I both can feel seat bottom is longer and offers more thigh support. Doors open and close with a very satisfying feel/sound. Bose speakers are much clearer than before. Backup camera now offers trajectory. Also, my driver side mirror tilts down when backing up and also auto dims at night. Navi graphics are much much improved. The heads up display is super clear and useful. I barely even looked at the one in my old car. Now the new one has driving info projected right onto the windshield. Also love the LED lighting inside the car and love the memory seats. All in all, a fantastic car.

Now onto the cons. Must say new key fob feels cheap. Doesn't feel anywhere near as sturdy as the old one. Wish the grab handles were covered so I can put keys etc in it like the old Mazda 3. They're open now so things will fall through. Centre storage is much longer than before but isn't as deep so taller items aren't gonna fit. Back seat leg room does feel a tad smaller. Didn't notice a difference with the torsion beam suspension. Ride feels even better than the old Mazda 3. So good job Mazda!

To anyone considering a Civic or Corolla or Elantra etc, do yourself a favour and test drive the 2019 Mazda 3!
Blah_Teggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 06:50 AM   #79
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,752 Times in 1,725 Posts
Failed 85 Times in 63 Posts

Personally I love the 3, small cons but I can look over them.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 07:30 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Teggie View Post
Picked up my 2019 Mazda 3 GT sedan with AWD today in the Machine Gray colour. Traded in my 2017 Mazda 3 GT Sport.
Mind sharing approx how much was the trade-in value of your 2017 Mazda3 GT Sport? Or how much you had to pay on top for the new 2019.

I am considering doing the same for my 2014 GT.
Old 04-10-2019, 09:51 PM   #81
HELP ME PLS!!!

Thanked 1,380 Times in 479 Posts
Failed 51 Times in 26 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Teggie View Post

First impressions are ride is much much quieter. Like luxury brand levels of quietness. Wife and I both can feel seat bottom is longer and offers more thigh support. Doors open and close with a very satisfying feel/sound. Bose speakers are much clearer than before. Backup camera now offers trajectory. Also, my driver side mirror tilts down when backing up and also auto dims at night. Navi graphics are much much improved. The heads up display is super clear and useful. I barely even looked at the one in my old car. Now the new one has driving info projected right onto the windshield. Also love the LED lighting inside the car and love the memory seats. All in all, a fantastic car.

Now onto the cons. Must say new key fob feels cheap. Doesn't feel anywhere near as sturdy as the old one. Wish the grab handles were covered so I can put keys etc in it like the old Mazda 3. They're open now so things will fall through. Centre storage is much longer than before but isn't as deep so taller items aren't gonna fit. Back seat leg room does feel a tad smaller. Didn't notice a difference with the torsion beam suspension. Ride feels even better than the old Mazda 3. So good job Mazda!

To anyone considering a Civic or Corolla or Elantra etc, do yourself a favour and test drive the 2019 Mazda 3!
once you drive it more, can you let me know how you feel about the sensors sensitivity? i got to the point where i turned off the sensors since it was given a bit too much false positives.
lilaznviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 09:55 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by cococly View Post
Mind sharing approx how much was the trade-in value of your 2017 Mazda3 GT Sport? Or how much you had to pay on top for the new 2019.

I am considering doing the same for my 2014 GT.
PM'd you
Old 04-10-2019, 09:58 PM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilaznviper View Post
once you drive it more, can you let me know how you feel about the sensors sensitivity? i got to the point where i turned off the sensors since it was given a bit too much false positives.
I can't say the sensors have bothered me at all. Maybe cuz I was used to all of them in my 2017 model. The only sensors my 2019 has that my 2017 doesn't have are backup sensors. I haven't looked, but I'm sure you can adjust the sensitivity in your settings menu.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:42 AM   #84
private modder

Thanked 2,762 Times in 775 Posts
Failed 46 Times in 34 Posts
I am not sure about the 2019 3, but I have previously found Mazda's blind spot monitors to be far too sensitive. They light up even when there is plenty of room to make a lane change, and there is only a single-stage warning, not dual. Therefore, especially when you're in the city, the majority of lane changes come with the annoying beeping/warning chime. Meanwhile, I have experienced other manufacturers that only sound an alarm when your blind spot is obstructed.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:58 AM   #85
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,430 Times in 485 Posts
Failed 243 Times in 94 Posts
Can't just leave the warning signal on the side mirrors but have the chimes and noise off?
Fafine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #86
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,363 Times in 458 Posts
Failed 57 Times in 15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eff-1 View Post
I am not sure about the 2019 3, but I have previously found Mazda's blind spot monitors to be far too sensitive. They light up even when there is plenty of room to make a lane change, and there is only a single-stage warning, not dual. Therefore, especially when you're in the city, the majority of lane changes come with the annoying beeping/warning chime. Meanwhile, I have experienced other manufacturers that only sound an alarm when your blind spot is obstructed.
Is there a way to adjust it?

Also... curious what you mean by dual stage warning

I know on the Hyundai/Kia vehicles, you can adjust BSM to 'normal' mode, or 'late' warning mode.
AstulzerRZD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:03 PM   #87
private modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fafine View Post
Can't just leave the warning signal on the side mirrors but have the chimes and noise off?
Yes, you can turn the noise off. However, I still want the chime/noise to alert the driver in case the blind spot is truly occupied.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:05 PM   #88
private modder

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstulzerRZD View Post
Is there a way to adjust it?

Also... curious what you mean by dual stage warning

I know on the Hyundai/Kia vehicles, you can adjust BSM to 'normal' mode, or 'late' warning mode.
No you can't adjust the sensitivity, just the volume of the alert sound.

By dual-stage, I meant something like is found on MB. When a vehicle is near your blind spot, the mirror lights up yellow, just to warn you someone is close. When your blind spot is occupied, the mirror lights up red and will flash/alert if you activate the signal. Way better system.
Old 04-11-2019, 07:26 PM   #89

Thanked 9,846 Times in 3,913 Posts
Failed 881 Times in 421 Posts
mazda is lightyears behind on the tech curve esp when youre comparing to euros

is the transmission also identical vs outgoing gen since the skyactiv-G is unchanged?
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:07 PM   #90
Media Officer / MOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
mazda is lightyears behind on the tech curve esp when youre comparing to euros

is the transmission also identical vs outgoing gen since the skyactiv-G is unchanged?
Trans is the same
Old 04-15-2019, 09:48 PM   #91

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/04/15/...gh-horsepower/

Quote:
Unlike the raw, fast-twitch reflexes of the last Mazdaspeed3 from 2013, Beppu says a new model "needs to be responsible and friendly ... more friendly than a Golf GTI." And, "It should be fast." The polished looks and interior address the necessary perceptions. CD's done the math on the current 2.5-liter and predicts a five-second sprint to 60 miles per hour, which is Volkswagen Golf R and Honda Civic Type R territory, so GTI comparisons could be a case of aiming low. Imagine a 300-hp engine with a touch more torque and a six-speed manual ...

If Mazda follows through with such a product, it could take two years to get the green light. However, we're told that Mazda's Los Angeles research and development center has already built a proof-of-concept to encourage and anticipate that green light.
they're considering a 2.5T AWD variant to compete with the Golf R and Veloster N
Old 04-16-2019, 11:20 AM   #92

Given that the existing 2.5L Turbo in the CX-5 and Mazda 6 is the same size as the regular N/A 2.5L, not surprised if they would put the engine in the new Mazda3.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:29 AM   #93
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 41 Times in 12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cococly View Post
Given that the existing 2.5L Turbo in the CX-5 and Mazda 6 is the same size as the regular N/A 2.5L, not surprised if they would put the engine in the new Mazda3.
I said it a while ago: they already have the 2.5T and AWD drivetrain made and lying around. Wouldn't cost them that much more to rig up a competent hot hatch.

It would be very interesting to see how it would turn out.
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 11:29 AM   #94
Media Officer / MOD

^ yea they said it would fit with out a problem during the development phase
Old 04-17-2019, 10:33 PM   #95

from the comments:
Quote:
Was reading at the extreme lengths Mazda went to in Hiroshima to get the perfect feel of a button. In Japan they call it "shokkaku", or the sense of touch. But it went further than that, even employing a psychology professor in Kenta Kubo, who worked with the engineers to ensure that not only was a switch able to be measured for how it had an emotional response (using Russell's Circumplex Model of Affect), but ensure that every single switch was able to equally, and correctly convey the right emotion for the driver to enjoy their driving experience.
Great to see such a small company being thoughtful with the small details. The fact they're sweating all the details in so many areas, and still able to build affordable cars is amazing. Unfortunately, as per Japanese culture, Mazda are very modest and never really blow their trumpet hard enough. Particularly in domestically in Japan.
Old 07-14-2019, 04:15 PM   #96

whoa...SkyActiv-X rated @ 43mpg 5.5L/100km

seems like it's coming next year

Quote:

what’s it like in practice?

Not all that different to Mazda’s normal petrol engine, actually, because you have to drive it in much the same way. It’s not transformative to the character of the car. For all Mazda’s promises of superior low-down response, the Skyactiv-X remains at its core a nat-asp petrol engine (despite the, ahem, supercharger). It’s immediately brawnier than the Skyactiv-G, but to make progress you still have to use many of the available revs and most of the gears. People coming from four-cylinder diesels and turbo petrols will find this a little odd.

They might find the noise odd, too. It starts with the thump of a diesel but settles into the idle of a petrol. Then it goes a bit diesel-y in the mid-range, before turning into a petrol again as you get nearer peak power at 6,000rpm, to which it revs pretty happily. A colleague from another magazine, on the same event, described it so perfectly I’m going to steal his metaphor – in general it does sound like a diesel, but one about 200 metres away. Where the knocks and rattles are still there, but so muffled you seldom notice them. Marginally less refined than a conventional petrol, but leap-years ahead of even the smoothest diesels.

The company claims 175bhp and 165lb ft at 3,000rpm, to the Skyactiv-G’s 120bhp and 157lb ft at 4,000rpm. A front-wheel drive, manual hatchback on the smaller 16-inch wheel can accelerate from 0-62mph in 8.2 seconds and reach 134mph. But there are more important numbers – official fuel economy and CO2 figures are 51.3mpg and 125g/km of CO2, again for the FWD manual.

We tried both manual and automatic transmissions (the former is excellent, because Mazda. The latter is behind the times and ought to be avoided) on half-hour loops around Frankfurt. The manual yielded just over 40mpg, and the auto just under. Not bad, given we weren’t exactly driving with fuel economy in mind and had autobahn stints of over 100mph. Driven normally, your average ought to live in the mid-forties.

It’s impressive how often the engine slips into SPCCI. There’s a display in the infotainment system that tells you what’s going down under the bonnet, and it’s really only when you’re at or near full-throttle or starting from cold that the little SPCCI icon isn’t illuminated, and the engine isn’t burning the super-lean mixture a normal petrol motor could only dream of igniting.
https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/...an/first-drive
Old 07-14-2019, 05:36 PM   #97
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Failed 41 Times in 12 Posts
The 6AT is bad? What?

Drove my buddy's Mazda 6 2.5T 6AT and it's a pretty good transmission... Oh well, it's a European article, of course, they prefer the stick shift.

Mazda isn't using CVT or 8+AT for a reason... They just have a different approach compared to other carmakers.

UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:18 PM   #98

i would pick AT over MT..it's a family hatch not a Golf R
Old 07-14-2019, 08:48 PM   #99

Thanked 7,451 Times in 1,440 Posts
Failed 2,380 Times in 472 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
The 6AT is bad? What?

Drove my buddy's Mazda 6 2.5T 6AT and it's a pretty good transmission... Oh well, it's a European article, of course, they prefer the stick shift.

Mazda isn't using CVT or 8+AT for a reason... They just have a different approach compared to other carmakers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=za2EHmwGAoM
Ive also driven the skyactiv 6 spd AT. At least it feels and shifts like a real car (compare with Toyota and Honda CVT), but it is tuned to be less responsive for general public. A friend of mine has a ECU transmission remapped Mazda 5, you can't believe how much different it can be.

Last edited by asian_XL; 07-14-2019 at 08:53 PM.
asian_XL is offline   Reply With Quote