REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 02-13-2019, 09:45 PM   #226
Orgasm Donor & Alatar owned my ass twice!

Thanked 6,540 Times in 2,641 Posts
Failed 253 Times in 139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
All Trudeau needed to do for four years to be re-elected was nothing, considering the other options, and he couldn't even do that right.
^^ Couldn't agree more about this.

Don't get me wrong though -- I harbour no love for Mr. Pretty Face. It's just an observation that I have gradually come to realize since JT took office.

I agree with Infiniti that the Scheer brand's recognition / acceptance is low. And with Singh / NDP looking weak and disorganized, Trudeau is really facing some of the weakest opponents in years at the federal level.

For the time being, I continue to expect the next federal gov to be some sort of minority gov that won't be able to get anything done during its term. Trudeau will probably have a better shot to remain as the PM, but I wouldn't entirely rule out Scheer just yet.
Advertisement
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-18-2019, 06:33 PM   #227
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 4,292 Times in 2,058 Posts
Failed 295 Times in 139 Posts
Now why would this happen? Fall guy? Not looking good.

CBC News - Gerald Butts resigns as Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's principal secretary

In a major shakeup to the highest ranks of the Prime Minister's Office, Gerald Butts resigned Monday as Justin Trudeau's principal secretary.

The bombshell departure — Butts, along with chief of staff Katie Telford, are the two most senior staffers in Trudeau's inner circle — comes amid allegations that senior members of the PMO pressured former justice minister Jody Wilson-Raybould to help Quebec-based multinational engineering firm SNC-Lavalin avoid criminal prosecution on bribery and fraud charges in relation to contracts in Libya.

In a statement to reporters, Butts said he categorically denies allegations that he or anyone else in the PMO put this sort of pressure on Wilson-Raybould. He said the accusation is "simply not true."

Last edited by whitev70r; 02-18-2019 at 09:56 PM.
whitev70r is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 07:42 PM   #228
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,570 Times in 3,555 Posts
Failed 1,505 Times in 643 Posts
Jagmeet has won in Burnaby South with 38% of the vote. Liberals got 27%. The big news is the cons got 22% and the ppc got 11%. If the cons had not split they could have come in second.

Go Madmax!!!!
Old 02-25-2019, 09:12 PM   #229

Old 02-26-2019, 11:54 AM   #230

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Jagmeet has won in Burnaby South with 38% of the vote. Liberals got 27%. The big news is the cons got 22% and the ppc got 11%. If the cons had not split they could have come in second.
I wonder how much of this pattern will carry over to the federal election later this year...
Old 02-26-2019, 11:12 PM   #231
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 2,804 Times in 365 Posts
Failed 19 Times in 8 Posts
It's going to be Reform Party all over again (but not as concentrated) for those on the right and a few elections later the next Harper will reunite conservatives.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:17 PM   #232
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Failed 291 Times in 102 Posts
WOW JWR is going off on the liberals right now looooool

Finally a politician with some integrity, bless her heart.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 02:09 PM   #233

Don't want to be cynical but in the end, nothing will happen to JT. Story will be staff from PMO office talked to (influence/pressured/threatened) staff of AG's office ... JT will pass it off as, 'I did not direct her" ... Gerald Butts already took the fall.

Hope I'm wrong but that's how I think it will shake down.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2019, 02:55 PM   #234
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,842 Times in 5,903 Posts
Failed 2,052 Times in 683 Posts
Nothing’s gonna happen
Old 02-27-2019, 02:57 PM   #235
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Failed 291 Times in 102 Posts
There will be more resignations, specifically Matthieu Bouchard and Michael Wernick.

Today was essentially part 1 of 2, bound by the limits of the order in council JWR cannot speak to anything that happened during or after the cabinet shuffle that saw her appointed as the Minister of Veterans Affairs. It was quite clear in her testimony that there is more information that should be put before the committee that is outside of the waiver provided by the order in council. Everything that happened during and after the cabinet shuffle still needs to be brought before the committee.

The underlying assumption is that JWR delayed her resignation until such time that she knew, for a fact, that newly appointed AG David Lametti was going to provide a directive to proceed with a DPA for SNC. This information, likely leaked by a staffer, would be the "final nail in the coffin", more or less confirming the narrative of her existing testimony.

JWR is no dummy.

Edit: To those that have said "nothing will happen", are you forgetting that this is an election year????
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2019, 03:06 PM   #236
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,617 Times in 900 Posts
Failed 496 Times in 162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
Don't want to be cynical but in the end, nothing will happen to JT. Story will be staff from PMO office talked to (influence/pressured/threatened) staff of AG's office ... JT will pass it off as, 'I did not direct her" ... Gerald Butts already took the fall.

Hope I'm wrong but that's how I think it will shake down.
Sounds an awful lot like the Senate Expense Scandal involving Mike Duffy, Harper's PM Office, and Nigel Wright.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:07 PM   #237

Wait a week and ask your average person what happened with these circumstances.

That’s why nothings going to happen.
Old 02-27-2019, 06:29 PM   #238
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,915 Times in 7,398 Posts
Failed 209 Times in 157 Posts
To be fair, the information overload of how many things we should be mad about at any given time, gets hard to keep track of even for the angriest of us.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2019, 06:48 PM   #239

Thanked 4,945 Times in 1,818 Posts
Failed 184 Times in 99 Posts
Me and a bunch of co-workers were talking about this whole scandal, the common theme is that no one really understood what it was all about.

I didn't really understand what was going on until maybe a week ago when I though I should actually look it up and form an opinion.

And my opinion is that I don't really give a shit about this particular issue.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 02-27-2019, 07:02 PM   #240

I'm a casual political observer, i catch things on twitter and the news and read anything more than interests me etc. I'm probably more in the know than you're average person

For me, i already SNC Lavalin (sp) were sacks of shit from previous stories and dealings, so in reality this should be far more important than it is because of the links to govt. and corruption etc getting preferential treatment

However for most that name probably means nothing, they dont understand the magnitude of things like this so no one cares enough to pursue it further
Old 02-27-2019, 07:30 PM   #241

Funny thing is that I know who SNC Lavalin is, my company even does work for them.

But I mean, I just don't care whatever the fuck they were doing halfway across the world. If it wasn't them, then some other seedy company from some other country would be doing it instead.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 02-27-2019, 09:09 PM   #242

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Me and a bunch of co-workers were talking about this whole scandal, the common theme is that no one really understood what it was all about.

I didn't really understand what was going on until maybe a week ago when I though I should actually look it up and form an opinion.

And my opinion is that I don't really give a shit about this particular issue.
I am not disagreeing with you here on the point that a lot of people do not really understand what this is all about. I won't pretend that I fully understand the issues either, but suffice to say, I know enough to understand that the political branch is trying to exercise influence over the judicial branch when they should be completely independent in a country that runs on the rule of law system.

Feeding big fat government contracts to your buddies and campaign donors is one thing. Interfering with the judicial branch takes it to a whole new different level.

Prior to this SNC Lavalin scandal, I am still having a tough time deciding who I can possibly vote for. With the way things are turning out now, I no longer need to hesitate in ruling out the Liberals in the upcoming federal election.
This post thanked by:
Old 02-28-2019, 08:10 AM   #243

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
I am not disagreeing with you here on the point that a lot of people do not really understand what this is all about. I won't pretend that I fully understand the issues either, but suffice to say, I know enough to understand that the political branch is trying to exercise influence over the judicial branch when they should be completely independent in a country that runs on the rule of law system.

Feeding big fat government contracts to your buddies and campaign donors is one thing. Interfering with the judicial branch takes it to a whole new different level.

Prior to this SNC Lavalin scandal, I am still having a tough time deciding who I can possibly vote for. With the way things are turning out now, I no longer need to hesitate in ruling out the Liberals in the upcoming federal election.
I get it. If you care enough that it changes your vote, than great for you. Like I said, I don't care enough that it affects mine.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 02-28-2019, 08:50 AM   #244

So JT is considering removing JWR from caucus ??!! What for ... because she doesn't pump his tires? Now that would really make things worst for him.

For the record, this is the 2nd woman that JT claims 'he was confident that he did not act inappropriately'.
Old 02-28-2019, 09:50 AM   #245
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Failed 187 Times in 91 Posts
Either JWR is lying, or JT is lying. There really is no other outcome here.
It's become quite interesting to watch how it is all unfolding though. Especially after I read the actual details of the case. There was some seriously shady shit going on, and as a businessman with a relatively high level of ethics, I'm personally offended as to how they run a multinational corporation like SNC-Lavalin.

Hookers, apartments, yachts, and all for a family who has been proven to be purely evil. This isn't the Sultan or the Shah, it's the son of Muammar Ghaddafi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
But I mean, I just don't care whatever the fuck they were doing halfway across the world.
I'm shocked that this isn't international news. This is a Canadian company with ties to the Canadian gov't, who was involved in a country who's leader was overthrown and sodomized with a bayonet no more than 3 years later. Globally, it looks bad on us that the former PM Harper was fighting to depose these people, while the current PM is trying to hide that we had strong ties to that evil family.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 10:13 AM   #246

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalhypa View Post
t

I'm shocked that this isn't international news.
That's because everyone does it.
Old 02-28-2019, 10:26 AM   #247

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitev70r View Post
So JT is considering removing JWR from caucus ??!! What for ... because she doesn't pump his tires? Now that would really make things worst for him.

For the record, this is the 2nd woman that JT claims 'he was confident that he did not act inappropriately'.
Where did you get that?
He didn’t threaten to remove her. She resigned.
Still a large black mark on the liberals, and JT, but totally different.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-28-2019, 11:07 AM   #248
HELP ME PLS!!!

Failed 55 Times in 21 Posts
^^ most news articles are reporting that very thing. very first hit of "justin trudeau" is:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/wil...alin-1.5036795

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 12:14 PM   #249

Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Where did you get that?
He didn’t threaten to remove her. She resigned.
Still a large black mark on the liberals, and JT, but totally different.
Caucus does not mean cabinet. She resigned from cabinet. JT is threatening to remove her from the Liberal party caucus. You must have read my post wrong as this is basic 101 stuff.
Old 02-28-2019, 12:48 PM   #250

I see I didn’t follow it up to this morning.
There was nothing mentioned about that before. Information is new enough that I’m not keeping up.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Quote: